Subject: mrouted debug messages

From: Matthew Idema <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 17:26:07 -0600

Are there any definitive resources for resolving messages received when
running mrouted at debug level 3?  I'm trying to figure out what the
difference is between a "membership query" and a "neighbor probe", and
also between a "membership report" and a "route report".  Any one know
for sure?

Matt I.
[email-masked]

---

From: Yozo Toda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 23:16:18 +0900

I'm just reading "Introduction to IP Multicast Routing"
(draft-ietf-mboned-intro-multicast-03.txt)...

> also between a "membership report" and a "route report".  Any one know

"membership query" is sent from an mrouter (querier)
to know if there are any members of multicast groups, and
a member of a certain group responds with "membership report".
the mrouter can determine from the resonse
if it needs to forward multicast data.

"neighbor probe" is used by mrouters to find "neighbor" routers
and check if they can see each other, and "route report" contains
routing information (in case of DVMRP, of course).
(see draft-ietf-idmr-dvmrp-v3-05.txt.)

it looks like igmp.c of mrouted source package contains
such debugging messages.

-- yozo.