Subject: Re: Create/Join multicast group

From: "Lih-Er.Wey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 97 10:00 EST

Thanks, Bill. With "vat -r ...", every one can see each other now.

The sdr advertisement problem is still a puzzle. It is certainly not a
TTL problem. I did a " show ip mr 224.2.127.254" on the cisco router,
Here is what I got. -
.....
.....
Flags: D - Dense, S - Sparse, C - Connected, L - Local, P - Pruned
       R - RP-bit set, F - Register flag, T - SPT-bit set, J - Join SPT
Timers: Uptime/Expires
Interface state: Interface, Next-Hop, State/Mode

(*, 224.2.127.254), 1w2d/00:00:00, RP 0.0.0.0, flags: DJCL
  Incoming interface: Null, RPF nbr 0.0.0.0
  Outgoing interface list:
    Tunnel0, Forward/Dvmrp, 1w2d/00:00:00
    Ethernet1, Forward/Dense, 1w2d/00:00:00
    Ethernet0, Forward/Dense, 1w2d/00:00:00

(128.9.160.67/32, 224.2.127.254), 00:01:34/00:02:06, flags: CLT
  Incoming interface: Tunnel0, RPF nbr 35.8.2.15, Dvmrp
....

I have host "a", "b" on ethernet1 and host "c" on ethernet0 all running
sdr. None of the above hosts has an entry for the sdr group.

Another interesting problem I just discover is that when host "a"
(in ethernet1 subnet) running sdr (win95), "sh ip mr " shows
host "a" is a source of 239.255.255.255. I do not have an admin
scope configured, why host "a" is the source for the group but not host
"b" or "c" ? Here is the output of "sh ip mr 239.255.255.255"

...

(*, 239.255.255.255), 00:45:35/00:02:58, RP 0.0.0.0, flags: DJC
  Incoming interface: Null, RPF nbr 0.0.0.0
  Outgoing interface list:
    Tunnel0, Forward/Dvmrp, 00:45:35/00:00:00
    Ethernet1, Forward/Dense, 00:45:35/00:00:00

(35.12.246.21/32, 239.255.255.255), 00:01:11/00:01:43, flags: CT
  Incoming interface: Ethernet1, RPF nbr 0.0.0.0
  Outgoing interface list:
    Tunnel0, Forward/Dvmrp, 00:01:11/00:00:00
...

Lih-Er Wey
Network Services
Computer Lab.
Michigan State University
----------( Forwarded letter 1 follows )---------------------------------------
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 17:03:05 -0800
To: "Lih-Er.Wey" <[email-masked]>
cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Create/Join multicast group
In-reply-to: Your message of "Fri, 05 Dec 97 14:33:00 PST."
             <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 17:02:58 PST
Sender: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>

I can't suggest why sdr advertisements don't make it, although I can
suggest using "show ip mr 224.2.127.254" to see if it has forwarding
cache entries for the sdr group.  However, I may be able to shed some
light on the second part of your message:

>If host "c" use 224.2.183.157/28328 to activate VAT seesion, from the
>vat window it only shows host "c" there. The only way for host "a", "b"
>and "c" to see each other in the vat session is having host "a" and "b"
>also using command - vat 224.2.183.157/28328 to participant the session.
>(not runing vat via sdr).

When you run vat via sdr, it normally runs it in RTP mode, with the "-r"
command line switch.  If you run vat on "C" with the "-r" switch, you
will probably see "a" and "b" even if they started their vats from sdr.

  Bill

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:24:28 -0500

>"b" or "c" ? Here is the output of "sh ip mr 239.255.255.255"

Sdr moved to using admin scoping for Local sessions rather than TTL
scoping around the switch to version 2.4.  If some of your machines
are running old versions of sdr they won't see Local announcements
from your newer machines.

Mark

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 19:30:42 +0200 (EET)

> from your newer machines.

Where one can get the new versions?

Also, is there a support address for SDR? I've been mailing
[email-masked] which address does not seemingly work :-(

Pete