Subject: Stable Tools for Win95?

From: "Roberto Barnes (SENACYT)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 16:07:57 -0500 (EST)

Does anyone know where I can get stable MBONE tools for Windows 95?

We (in the national MBone of the Republic of Panama) are currently using
VIC, VAT, RAT, NT, and SDR on Win95 as our primary tools.  But they are
unstable, especially NT and SDR, which are really unstable, or is it the
fault of the win95 IP stack?

Also, is there a way to coax SDR to send session updates more ofter than
it currently does? or do we have to recompile the sources?

Thanks,

Roberto
-----------------------------------------------------
Ing. Roberto D. Barnes
National Bureau of Science, Technology and Innovation
Panama
-----------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 19:54:54 -0400

>it currently does? or do we have to recompile the sources?

You really don't want to do this - as the number of sessions grows,
the rate each announcement is made at should back off to keep the
announcement bandwidth constant.  Currently, with so few sessions sdr
sends every 5 minutes.

The way to cope with getting faster updates when you start sdr is to
implement local caching and a local protocol to get an update from a
local cache (either a server or another sdr) upon startup. Tweaking
sdr to send more often will increase the announcement bandwidth, and
if everyone does this, the model rapidly becomes untenable.

Mark

---

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 18:12:43 -0700

So we use FreeBSD specially since FreeBSD and Win95 can co-exist
in the same system.

	Amancio