Subject: sdr announcements being pruned

From: Deb Agarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:22:11 -0700

Hi all,

I am not sure whether this is a problem that is well known and just
not discussed often or relatively unknown so I thought I'd bring it up.

I have noticed that there are many times when my session advertisement
is being pruned in the network when there is no reason for it to be pruned.
I continuously advertise the LabWeb session yet for example right now the
Georgia Tech statistics gathering file does not see my session.  I have
checked with several people and only some of them currently see my
advertisement.  Whenever this problem has occurred an mtrace has shown
my source on sap.mcast.net being pruned by some router in between us.
If we manually start a multicast vic and vat session things work fine
but the advertisement will not get through unless we HUP the router
that is pruning.  It is my conjecture that the problem is due to the
low frequency of the advertisement (ttl 127) and an interaction with one
of the pruning timeouts.

This problem has been QUITE annoying and has been occurring on and off
for about the last year.  Any ideas on how to fix it would be appreciated!
The session is being advertised from taz.lbl.gov if you want to try an
mtrace to see where you are getting the advertisement pruned.

Thanks,
Deb
-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Deb Agarwal                                  e-mail:[email-masked]
MS50B-2239                                   phone :(510)486-7078
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab  
Berkeley, CA 94720
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~