Subject: parent-vif: -1 ??

From: [email-masked] (Heiko W.Rupp)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 14:44:41 +0100

Hi,

when I try to set up mrouted again I get the following when running
it with -d 3:
14:37:26.778 add cache entry (193.141.42.97 225.0.0.1) gm:0,
parent-vif:-1

my setup is :

---ed0----[snert]--ed1-----
            |
            | ppp0
            |
         [multicast]--------[cisco]---------[xlink97]
          (cisco)

As ppp0 is not multicast capable I have added routes for 22[45]/8 towards
ed0.

On snert a tunnel from ed0 is running to the multicast cisco and it
also sees the cisco. But then when I send packet from xlink97, I
get the above in the error log.

I had the above thing running a while ago, but with ed0 as the
connection to the world.

Thanks in advance.

-- 
Heiko W.Rupp        Gerwigstr.5        D-76131  Karlsruhe    +49 721 9661524
In a Hong Kong supermarket:  For your convenience, we recommend
courageous, efficient self-service.

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 08:19:20 PST

>14:37:26.778 add cache entry (193.141.42.97 225.0.0.1) gm:0,

This means that the mrouted doesn't have a route for 193.141.42.97 ,
so it doesn't know where to expect traffic to come from.

>get the above in the error log.

Is your cisco advertising routes to the mrouted?  If not, and the
mrouted is a stub (no other connection to the MBone), the easiest way
to get this working is the interface command "ip dvmrp
default-information originate" on the tunnel.

  Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (Heiko W.Rupp)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 09:42:37 +0100

> so it doesn't know where to expect traffic to come from.

Ok,
but why? I formerly had a similar setup where I had a router on ed0
so that (unicast traffic) default route was on ed0 and there it worked
(i did not set a route to net 224 though).

> Is your cisco advertising routes to the mrouted?  If not, and the

Hm. dump question .. how may I check this -- or in other words: it did
in the old setup, so why shouldn't it?

> default-information originate" on the tunnel.

Yupp, that did the job. Thank you very much.

I really envy the guys at PARC that they always have their local gurus
handy ... 

  Heiko

-- 
Heiko W.Rupp        Gerwigstr.5        D-76131  Karlsruhe    +49 721 9661524
Es ist offensichtlich, dass das menschliche  Gehirn  wie  ein Computer  
funktioniert.  Da  es  keine dummen Computer gibt, gibt es also auch keine 
dummen Menschen. Nur ein paar Leute, die unter DOS laufen. --  <unbekannt>

---

From: [email-masked] (Heiko W.Rupp)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 10:47:43 +0100

> in the old setup, so why shouldn't it?

Ok, the how to check is clear .. I just made the mistake that I saw
the route to the end of the tunnel and then followed that this is
the default route for all traffic *sigh*

-- 
Heiko W.Rupp        Gerwigstr.5        D-76131  Karlsruhe    +49 721 9661524
What would you call a BBS run by a mom?
   A "mother board".

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 08:00:04 PST

>in the old setup, so why shouldn't it?

By default, the Cisco only advertises directly attached routes.  If
your old setup involved a host attached to a network that's directly
connected to the Cisco, that's why it was probably working before.

Configuring a Cisco can often be a black art.  I always suggest that
people talk to [email-masked] when they want to know the
details.

  Bill

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 18:15:45 +0200 (EET)

> people talk to [email-masked] when they want to know the
To make them more free to develop the interdomain routing and all
other important knobs and pieces, I would recommend people to contact
their support channel instead of the engineering. 

Pete