Subject: Event January 27, 1997

From: "Bill Nowicki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 16:13:32 -0800

Silicon Graphics plans to multicast a press conference
on Monday January 27, 1997, about 9am-noon PST.
There should be an sdr announcement going out.
Please send me email if you would like to be involved
in some tests this week, next week, and the week-end
before the event. Tentative times for the test are
10am-noon PST since that is the approximate time
of the event.

Thanks, Bill Nowicki

---

From: Ron Fitzherbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 12:19:40 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I need a point to tunnel to.  North America, Washington, DC Area.

My next hop upstream is not running mrouted at this point.

Any suggestions/contacts?

Thanks,

Ron

---

From: John Hawkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 23:47:28 -0500 (EST)

> From: Ron Fitzherbert <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]

> Any suggestions/contacts?

You don't specify what IP address you need a tunnel to, so it's hard
to be sure what is appopriate.

In general, if your upstream provider does not offer multicast, you
should ask them to ask their service provider for you.

In this case, you appear to get service from, or at
least be topologically close to, BBN Planet:

[all-purpose-gunk!jhawk] ~> traceroute flying.penguin.net
traceroute to flying.penguin.net (204.29.198.1): 1-30 hops, 38 byte packets
 1  cambridge5-eng.bbnplanet.net (199.94.220.1)  3.36 ms  1.48 ms  1.66 ms
 2  cambridge1-cr5.bbnplanet.net (192.52.71.6)  3.66 ms  16.6 ms  2.60 ms
 3  cambridge1-br1.bbnplanet.net (4.0.1.205)  170 ms  6.42 ms  204 ms
 4  nyc1-br2.bbnplanet.net (4.0.1.121)  215 ms  308 ms  292 ms
 5  washdc1-br2.bbnplanet.net (4.0.2.33)  15.5 ms (ttl=250!)  washdc1-br2.bbnplanet.net (4.0.1.113)  17.5 ms (ttl=250!)  washdc1-br2.bbnplanet.net (4.0.2.33)  17.2 ms (ttl=250!)
 6  washdc1-br2.bbnplanet.net (4.0.2.33)  14.5 ms  16.2 ms  18.2 ms
 7  washdc1-br1.bbnplanet.net (4.0.1.173)  15.8 ms  14.7 ms  15.5 ms
 8  collegepk-br1.bbnplanet.net (4.0.1.226)  16.1 ms  16.0 ms  15.7 ms
 9  collegepk-cr12.bbnplanet.net (128.167.252.4)  16.2 ms  15.2 ms  16.8 ms
10  intr.bbnplanet.net (192.221.54.78)  21.5 ms  20.3 ms  19.0 ms
11  reclaimed.agis.net (204.157.123.1)  20.0 ms  21.7 ms  28.1 ms
12  router.penguin.net (207.32.96.198)  26.4 ms (ttl=53!)  25.8 ms (ttl=53!)  26.6 ms (ttl=53!)
13  flying.penguin.net (204.29.198.1)  44.1 ms (ttl=52!)  27.7 ms (ttl=52!)  27.4 ms (ttl=52!)

As such, you should direct your query to [email-masked].

Geographical data such as "Washington, DC" is not very useful -- topology
is is what counts (where you are in the network).

--jhawk

---

From: Ron Fitzherbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 23:59:35 -0500 (EST)

> to be sure what is appopriate.

John,

Yes you are correct, and it was my omission -- I meant to add the IP
address in my message, but in the midst of typing 10 things at once I
forgot to type it (the regional identifier was added so people not in the
local "geographic" area might ignore my message).  I will check with BBN
and the other upstream connection point also (as I "control" the next hop
above me also in that respect), however a few months back the next hops
didn't seem interested in tunneling me, and now that I've gotten back into
this "mode" I thought I'd drop a note to the list (as per the FAQ, which
seems to be a bit out of date, or at least the copies I have found so far
look as if they could use a little catch-up)).

In any case, I thank you for your response and I will try again contacting
the "2nd" hop contacts again before "bugging" the list for a further
connection point.

Thanks,

Ron

  ---------------- Ronald J. Fitzherbert, President ---------------
       Flying Penguin Productions Limited - Arlington, VA (USA)
  *** finger [email-masked] for ISOC Nomination Petition Info ***
           1.703.358.9219 (voice) 1.703.522.2798 (telefax)
  -------------------- http://www.penguin.net/ --------------------