Subject: mrouted3.8.2 and HP-UX 9.05

From: Felix Killmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 21:39:15 +0100 (MEZ)

I'm trying to run mrouted3.8.2 on a HP 9000/715 workstation 
with HP-UX 9.05.
I've got the binaries for mrouted and the kernel patches from
ftp://www-ks.rus.uni-stuttgart.de.

Every time I'm trying to start mrouted (of course, after building the new
kernel and rebooting the system), I get the following error message:

# /etc/mrouted -d 3
debug level 3
00:28:54.882 mrouted version 3.8
00:28:55.176 getsockopt MRT_VERSION: perhaps your kernel is too old: 
Invalid argument
#

Are there different kernel patches for HP-UX 9.05? (The README file 
distributed with the kernel patches says they are for HP-UX 9.01 only.)

Or what else am I doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

Felix Killmann
ZDV
University of Tuebingen

---

From: "Jeffrey S. Curtis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 11:40:12 -0600

Piers-

}I too am suffering from the wierd [HP-UX 10.20] multicast problem - one thing 
}I have noticed is that all the UCL tools (sdr,rat,nt) seem to work and all the 
}lbl ones don't. I've been looking at the code a bit to try to spot the 
}difference but I've not managed to get gcc-2.7.2 compiled on this 10.20 (A 
}Visualize C160) box yet - Have you?[Has anyone?!] Any help would be 
}appreciated in that area as a C++ compiler would be handy in getting somewhere 
}with the lbl stuff... I have the HP ANSI C compiler installed but seem to be 
}running into problems compiling gcc with it.

I installed gcc-2.6.0 quite a while ago on my 9.05 machine and I copied
it over to my 10.20 machine, where it seems to function reasonably
well.  If it would assist your testing, I could let you grab a copy of
the gcc and associated files from my machine.  I haven't tried building
gcc-2.7.2 under 10.20 yet.

Jeff
-- 
Jeffrey S. Curtis                      | Internetwork Manager
Argonne National Laboratory            | Email: [email-masked]
9700 South Cass Avenue, ECT-221        | Voice: 630/252-1789
Argonne, IL 60439                      | Fax:   630/252-9689