Subject: RE: What is IGMPv2

From: Thomas Pfenning <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:45:51 -0700

I would extend this a bit. On local area networks you can gain from
pruning in switches if they decode IGMP via snooping or CGMP. However,
you need unconditional leaves for this to work.

For the masses of modem users IGMPv2 reduces the leave time, so users
can switch between different multicast addresses and don't get their
slow link swamped with traffic from multiple groups.

Thomas
> > 	It is compatible with IGMPv1. On a cisco router the versions
> > 	are detected dynamically and if a IGMPv1 system is present, we 
> > 	switch automaticaly to verison 1 in the queries.
> 
> As of today, the biggest improvement in performance by using igmp-v2
> instead
> of igmp-v1 can be gained in local area networks with switches that do
> run CGMP. (My 2cent).
> 
> Toerless