Subject: Who's advertising 130/8?

From: Dave Pascoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 06:59:09 -0500 (EST)

Subject says it all....

Does anyone know where this advertisement is originating from?

--
Dave Pascoe  | mailto:[email-masked]  | Voice: 508.647.7362
KM3T         | http://www.mathworks.com   |   FAX: 508.647.7002
PGP fingerprint: 53 AD 71 88 2F AA 45 AC D0 2E 68 91 71 77 39 AF

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 05:07:05 -0800 (PST)

> Does anyone know where this advertisement is originating from?

	I was a few weeks ago, but it was accidental and was fixed within 
a few hours. Let me go check my configs and see what's up on my side...

							Jim

	Jim Martin			Internet: [email-masked]
	InteropNet Engineering		Fax: (415) 372-6799 
	Softbank Expos			Phone: (415) 372-6750

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 05:26:08 -0800 (PST)

> Does anyone know where this advertisement is originating from?

	I've checked my configs and I'm clean. Also, I dumped my routing 
table and find that I'm learning 130/8 from my upstream mrouter (BBN), so 
I'm pretty sure it isn't me. I was working with jhawk when we discovered 
and fixed my erronious 130/8 advertisment, so it might be worth getting 
his take on things to see if he's advertising anything from his side. jhawk?
						Jim

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 15:09:59 PST

Jim Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>...jhawk?

Since mtrace was released in 1995, there hasn't been any need to play
the ask-your-neighbors-hop-by-hop game to help track down a problem.
Just mtrace to the source and find out where it comes from -- then ask
*them* about it.

  Bill

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 10:42:39 PST

>Does anyone know where this advertisement is originating from?

Well, once JVNC stopped advertising 130/8 into the MBone, Philips seems
to have picked it up.  Philips admins, could you please fix your multicast
routers (maybe 130.140.55.1, or something beyond it) to only inject the
proper routes?

Thanks,
  Bill

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 12:31:02 PST

Now that Philips has disabled it, it has shown up in the UK.  First
at JVNC, then at Philips, and now at cent.gla.ac.uk, they've all been
Bay Networks routers.  Are we seeing a Bay impelemtation bug?  Does
anyone have a contact at Bay that we can notify about this?

Thanks,

  Bill

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 14:14:16 -0800 (PST)

> anyone have a contact at Bay that we can notify about this?

	I'd concur that this is likely to be a Bay problem, as it was a
Bay router that I was using a few weeks ago when I first saw the behavior.
One question though, are people running 10.x or 11.x code? I saw the
problem when I was running 10.x, but then it didn't seem to reoccur after
I upgraded to 11.0.
							Jim