Subject: RE: Doing ftp via multicast addresses.

From: "Myjak, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 96 13:45:00 EST

Hmm... I can see the usefulness in multicasting an ftp put request.  But I 
have to wonder how well that would work (or even makes sense) with a ftp get 
request...

 -Michael
 ----------
From: list-mgr
To: idmr; mbone
Subject: Doing ftp via multicast addresses.
Date: Thursday, February 15, 1996 9:38AM

Does anybody has experience in doing ftp using multicast
addresses i.e.

If you want to ftp a file to 10 sites, can you use
multicasting to send it to 10 different sites?

 --kamal

---

From: Geert Jan de Groot <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 21:16:16 +0100

> have to wonder how well that would work (or even makes sense) with a ftp get 

UUnet has done some work distributing news using mcast, I think it was
called MUSE. I remember having snatched at least a paper on this on
ftp.uu.net. CHeck it out.

Geert Jan

---

From: "Todd L. Montgomery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 08:52:46 -0500 (EST)

If I remember correctly, it was called "Drinking from the Firehose". Or was
close to that title at any rate. I also remember snatching the paper
from ftp.uu.net at some point last summer.

BTW: I have put together a web page containing links to Reliable Multicast
projects and efforts. It is at:
	http://research.ivv.nasa.gov/projects/RMP/links.html

Or you can get to it from the RMP Home Page.

-- Todd