Subject: vat/vic/mbone and firewalls

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 08:39:22 +1000 (EST)

Our local security ossifer is very unhappy with simply raising the
drawbridge on UDP to let point-to-point vat/vic through the walls.

We do per-host IP filtering as well as in-the-router here.

Is there going to be some IANA allocated ports for unicast usage which
can be coupled with sdp to achieve something sane? In the specific
context of unicast, the tuples defining each end of the dialogue are
very likely to be unique on each host (are there boxes which permit
two residents to do mike work in parallel?) so there isn't a major collision
issue there.

Definately would help if the src and dst ports were known and stable...

-George

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 13:42:40 +0100

>Definately would help if the src and dst ports were known and stable...

At the Montreal IETF, a change to SIP that was agreed allows the host
being called for a unicast session to specify the address/port to use
to send media flows to it.  Thus you could locally choose some ports
and configure any local SIP clients to specify these ports in the SIP
reply (assuming you're only interested in restricting incoming UDP
ports).  SIP itself uses port 9860 in the current versions of sdr, and
I expect we'll make this more formal as things evolve.

Mark

---

From: "Dr. Ronald J. Vetter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 08:22:25 -0500 (CDT)

Can someone help me get off this list?
Nothing I try seems to work. Thanks. Ron
-- 
Dr. Ronald J. Vetter,                         [email-masked]
Computer Science Department                      Phone: (701) 231-7084
IACC Building, Room 258                            Fax: (701) 231-8255 
North Dakota State University    
Fargo, North Dakota 58105-5164