Subject: warning - received DVMRP message from 'the unknown host' or self

From: Stefano Klett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 16:06:28 +0200

I install a SGI IP22 (with the SGI patch) as mbone router.
All 5 minutes mrouted send the following message to the syslog:

warning - received DVMRP message from 'the unknown host' or self: 148.187.9.12

What does realy means?

This will fill up my log files :-(

Any advice would be welcomed !

Thanks in Advance,

Stefano Klett

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 08:27:33 PDT

>warning - received DVMRP message from 'the unknown host' or self: 148.187.9.12

Presuming that your IP address is 148.187.9.12, it means that this network
interface is looping back multicast packets.  RFC1112 says that the device
driver should drop packets if the physical medium loops back packets, so
since mrouted turns of IP_MULTICAST_LOOP it should never hear the packets
that it is transmitting.

What kind of network is this?  It's likely that you just have to report this
as a bug to your OS vendor.

  Bill

---

From: Stefano Klett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 1996 13:39:04 +0200

> as a bug to your OS vendor.

Is Fore ATM (Spans) on Solaris 2.5. On LANE virtual interface I don't have 
this problem.

Stefano

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 09:28:02 PDT

>Is Fore ATM (Spans) on Solaris 2.5. On LANE virtual interface I don't have 

Ah, then you'll have to report this as a bug to Fore.

  Bill