Subject: will mrouted be able to use new multicast routing kernel interface?

From: Katsuhiro Kondou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:39:01 +0900

Now I'm implementing multicast routing function on our kernel which is
based on SVR4.2MP.  My goal is that several multicast routing protocol
are to be available through latest or future GateD(now 3.6A1).   From
GateD doc,  I found UNIX kernel requirements for multicast routing
protocols written by  [email-masked]  and the patches for NetBSD.
The requirements indicates new kernel interfaces which are the use of
routing socket and tunnel interface(not vif), and these seem to be good.

I've already done making routing socket interface  and can easily
include Tom's requirements.   But I'd like to know wheather future 
mrouted will be able to use the new interface.  If not, mrouted will
not be available on our OS.
-- 
Katsuhiro Kondou
NEC Corporation, Tokyo JAPAN

---

From: Thomas Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 23:50:38 -0500

>not be available on our OS.

This work was pretty much proof of concept. Its the right direction to go for
BSD 4.4 systems but not for 4.3 based systems. Gated also supports the
standard ipmulti 3.5 kernel interface. I would use that for now since
its more standard and readily available.

Tom