Subject: policy filtering options for multicast?

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:35:40 +1000 (EST)

Can somebody summarize what attributes of multicast protocols are
suitable for encapsulating the equivalent of src,dst,port,type filter
statements?

When it was just A-V, it was simple to do an all-or-nothing rule, but
now its beyond telephony, (almost) its likely there will be different
allow/deny rules because of the (ludicrous) split in security between
the phone and digital data

As an example, I can imagine people who would countenance a pass for vat
and vic, but not for RMP or SRM based transports. 

Does this require a new model of filtering such as a token based admission
point and some external activity to gain recognition and a pass-key?

-George

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:54:43 +0100

one unstated goal of the propsed RMFP (see memphis rm irtf meeting)
was to have a standard place to look for port like things in a
reliable multicast protocol header ...

but it aint that simple (people want to look much further up the
stack dynamically (too dyuamically to do dynamic port re-assignment,
or dynamic reallocation of mcast addresses....).....

more news soon i hope...
 
 >point and some external activity to gain recognition and a pass-key?

 jon