Subject: Re: Mbone over ISDN

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 12:36:02 +0300 (EEST)

At 12:01 4.4.1997 +0200, Gilles Dauphin wrote:
>
>I have too at home. But think when using 2B Channels you pay twice.
>Using GSM encoding for audio and low rate for video is good enought
>for most conference. It would be a good idea if IETF and WWW6 use this
>kind of encoding to save bandwidth. Just a suggest...
>
You can recode the sessions if you want to save your bandwidth. Please don't
make everybody suffer from your local limitations.

Pete

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 23:04:30 +0100

>make everybody suffer from your local limitations.

Well, GSM audio should be fine for this sort of session... 

Transcoding is a useful addition for the whole isdn/low banmdwidth case
though. Either the LBL rtpgw (for audio/video) or rat-3.0.18 (for audio)
are very valuable for this. Have the transcoder in the mcast session, and
run unicast over the isdn link. Also you then save the mcast routing
traffic from flowing over the isdn...

Maybe not a genral solution, but when bandwidth is limited it can help
hugely.

Colin