Subject: Basic setup questions

From: Rasana Atreya <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 16:13:15 PDT

I'm supposed to get audio/video conferencing working on a Sparc 2 with Sol
2.5. I installed mrouted3.8, sdr, nv, vat and wb. 

But I have no idea how these things interact with each other. For example
information on wb tells you to bring it up from sdr, but not how to do it.
What happens if you use sdr? Also, if vic, vat etc. are in /.cshrc, they are 
started up automatically?

We can connect to UC Berkeley to get a "feed" from them. Do I still need a
router on my subnet (we are a different University)? I went ahead and installed 
it anyway on two machines (as router and as host). I want to test this on my 
subnet first. What do I put into each /etc/mrouted.conf to tell it that it is 
either the host or the routed? How do I test? By starting up sdr at each end 
and opening sessions? 

I've included this line in /etc/mrouted.conf to indicate that our "feed" is UCB:
tunnel 128.218.100.13 192.31.161.1 metric 1 threshold 64

Other questions:
- Does a Sparc 2 have built-in audio capability or does it need any
external stuff? If so, do you have any idea as to what it does need?
- Do I need 2 Ethernet cards on the workstation (so the mrouter can act 
independently and in parallel with the standard router)? Can I not get by
with only one card?
- Do I need special hardware to receive video? Same for nv, vat, vic etc?
					 
I apologize for bombarding you with questions. Unfortunately, none of the
documents I found (and I found many) seem to answer my questions, or give a
practical view of problems. 

Please reply to me, and I will summarize and post all answers back to the
list.

Thanks much,
Rasana

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Rasana Atreya                                     Voice:  (415) 476-3623  ~
~ System Administrator     			    Fax:    (415) 476-4653  ~
~ Library & Ctr for Knowledge Mgmt, Univ. of California at San Francisco    ~
~ 530 Parnassus Ave, Box 0840, San Francisco, CA  94143-0840		    ~
~ [email-masked]					    ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Rasana Atreya                                     Voice:  (415) 476-3623  ~
~ System Administrator     			    Fax:    (415) 476-4653  ~
~ Library & Ctr for Knowledge Mgmt, Univ. of California at San Francisco    ~
~ 530 Parnassus Ave, Box 0840, San Francisco, CA  94143-0840		    ~
~ [email-masked]					    ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~