Subject: Re: Camera Servers

From: [email-masked] (Kevin C. Almeroth)
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 07:33:53 -0700

We have started using some of Deb's software and the Sonys.  

At the IETFs we are also using the Sonys.  

I think if you get a couple of them you can buy them for around $995.

-Kevin

>>We here at LBL have been using the Sony EVI-D30 and Canon VC-C3
>>which are both RS-232 controllable.  We are in the midst of building
>>a device server and remote camera control interface which we are
>>nearly ready to release.  The software will all be freeware.  So
>>far we have only tested the server (equipment drive software) on
>>Sun and SGI but it should not be hard to get working on other
>>platforms that have RS-232.

---

From: Todd Hodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 20:15:09 -0700 (PDT)

The MASH toolkit (http://mash.cs.berkeley.edu/mash) has client/server
controls for the Sony EVID30/EVID31 and Canon VCC1/VCC3 (and some
other RS232-connected devices). The current camera-client UI handles
tilt, pan, zoom, and shared presets.

The server-side needs to be run against a mash binary with SerialChannel 
(serial.cc) compiled in... this has only been tested on FreeBSD & BSDi.

We are in the process of integrating these and the other control apps 
with the existing tools (i.e., vic & sdr for camera control).  Anyone 
interested in more detail can contact me directly ([email-masked]).

thanks,
Todd
-- 
              Todd Hodes                 
        [email-masked]           
  http://http.cs.berkeley.edu/~hodes/