Subject: vat 4.0 beta 1 released

From: Van Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 96 09:00:19 PDT

Source and binaries for a new version of vat are now available at
  ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/conferencing/vat/alpha-test/
in files vatbin-4.0b1-* and vatsrc-4.0b1.tar.gz.

This is the first beta release of vat 4.0 and, we hope, the last
release before the `final' 4.0 release.  So far as we know, all
of the outstanding bug reports have been fixed in this release.
(If you have reported a bug that is still not fixed in this release,
we may have lost your email and we would be grateful if you could
resubmit it.)

There have been substantial changes to the audio drivers to fix
problems on Sun Sparcstation-5s.  These changes may also improve
things slightly on other systems.

This release also includes a complete rewrite of the win95/winnt
audio driver.  The win95 driver now supports all the vat functionality.
I.e., users can both receive and send and the gain sliders and input
selection controls now work.  A number of other changes were also
made to greatly reduce the vat cpu load when running under Windows.

This version of vat has been build with the final release versions
of tcl7.5/tk4.1 and benefits from a number of bug fixes and performance
improvements in tcl/tk.  Note that if you are building vat from source,
you *must* build it with the release versions of tcl7.5/tk4.1 -- earlier
versions will no longer work.

A complete list of changes in this release is available at
  http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/vat/CHANGES.html

As always, we are very interested in hearing about problems or
suggestioned improvements (email to [email-masked]).  Thanks.

 - Van Jacobson & Steve McCanne