Subject: mozilla.org source code party multicast

From: Dan Mosedale <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 18:13:50 -0800

mozilla.org is hosting a party in celebration of the release of the
Netscape Communicator source code in San Francisco on April 1st from
8:00 PM to 2:00AM (in UTC, that's 04:00-10:00 on April 2).  More details
about the event are available at <http://www.mozilla.org/>.

We hope to be able to multicast audio and video from the party (using
vat and vic with a TTL of 127) and allow other folks to join in.  This
is during the IETF and appears that it would overlap with the IPTEL and
IDMR session multicasts.  If we were to multicast 128k of video and PCM
audio during this time, would the aggregate bandwidth usage be too
high?  If desired, we could wait to begin multicasting until 10:00 PM
(06:00 UTC), when the IETF sessions are scheduled to be over.  Or we
could just ask people to refrain from sending us any return traffic
until then.

What version of vat is considered to be the right one (i.e. stable
enough) for public broadcast these days?  The vat page at LBL says that
vat 4.0 is still in alpha, but the latest version looks to me to be a
beta.  Should I just stick with 3.4 anyhow?

At the moment, it appears that the party will be getting it's IP
connectivity through grin.net.  Since they don't have an MBONE feed,
we'll need to get a tunnel built up on the day of April 1st and then
torn down
on the 2nd.  traceroute suggests that grin gets (at least some of) its
connectivity through priori.net (who appears to be connected to
AlterNet).  Is there anyone topologically close who would be willing to
provide us with a tunnel on such short notice?

Thanks in advance,
Dan