Subject: FIX/NAP Connections

From: Phil Dykstra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 96 16:16:11 EST

I would like to discuss MBONE interconnections at the SprintNAP
and at FIX-West with interested parties.  The goal is to provide
rationalized high bandwidth MBONE interconnections at the NAP's.

The Interim Defense Research and Engineering Network (IDREN) has
been deploying an MBONE overlay on top of our national T3 backbone
to serve ~fifty DoD Science and Technology sites (for an IDREN map
see http://www.arl.mil/HPCMP/DREN).  We would like to offer some
of this bandwidth and hardware for the common good of the MBONE.

Hardware:

We are using dedicated Sparc 20's, running SunOS 4.1.4, mrouted 3.8.
The machines are secured with SecurID/Kerberos access only.  They
serve no purpose other than to provide MBONE tunnels.  Each machine
has wide area connections via FDDI and ATM interfaces (both at T3
currently, the ATM going to OC3 soon), and local site connections
via OC3 ATM.

SprintNAP:

We would like to place one of these machines at the SprintNAP to
peer with other MBONE providers at the NAP.  It will be on a private
FDDI behind our IDREN router.  The IDREN router is T3 connected to
IDREN and has a FDDI port on the NAP Gigaswitch.  Our proposal is
to use it as a NAP resource to tunnel between us and any others at
the NAP that are interested (SprintLink, NetworkMCI, and the vBNS
perhaps for example).  Please let me know if you would be interested
in participating in this.

FIX-West:

IDREN has a T3 from FIX-West to NCCOSC in San Diego.  From there
we have a T3 to SDSC.  NCCOSC is one of our main T3 backbone sites
(and thus an MBONE backbone site).  We would be interested in
setting up a tunnel from FIX-West to SDSC via the NCCOSC MBONE
router.  We feel that this would provide a higher bandwidth path
to most of the U.S. MBONE to carry, e.g. the NASA Select broadcasts
from Ames.  It would also provide a solid connection to the IDREN
T3 MBONE infrastructure.  If the sites at Ames and SDSC would like
to do this, please let me know.

Phillip Dykstra
Federal Networking Council
Eng. and Oper. Working Group, co-chair
http://www.arl.mil/~phil/