Subject: cisco config quickie

From: Jim Bogard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 17:46:30 -0400 (EDT)

First of all, thanks to all those who answered my question about getting 
the Mbone utilities to start in transmission mode.  looks like I'll be 
installing Tcl.

A cisco 7000 (11.1(2))here suddenly stopped forwarding multicast sd 
packets, a day or two after upgrading to 11.1(2).
Examination of the mroute table shows the fddi mcast configured 
interface has vanished completely from the table.  (All interfaces dense 
mode, so I really expected to see it in there somewhere).  Turned off 
multicast routing, deleted/added the interface from multicast capability, 
to no avail.  Finally turned on "ip sd listen" on all interfaces, things 
seemed to return to normal.

The Cisco docs explanation of sd_listen is about enough to satisfy a 
middle manager.  What does it do?  Also, I thought sd traffic was treated 
like any other mcast group- when starting sd, your client issues an igmp 
join to group 224.2.127.255 and sd traffic was sent your way.  My sniffer 
seems to confirm this.  So, why is "ip sd listen" needed at all? 

Am I completely confused?
Tip: If running multicast in an AGS+ 11.0, disable fast multicast 
switching.  I doscovered this the hard way.  See Cisco bugid 45353.

J-.
----
Jim Bogard  JHU/APL BIX Group             "This is my banjo.  There are many
Backbone Network Engineer                   like it, but this one is mine."

---

From: Manoj Leelanivas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 15:52:42 -0700 (PDT)

Jim,

Please direct CISCO related multicast questions to [email-masked]
rather than the MBONE mailing list.

==>    
=>    A cisco 7000 (11.1(2))here suddenly stopped forwarding multicast sd 
=>    packets, a day or two after upgrading to 11.1(2).
=>    Examination of the mroute table shows the fddi mcast configured 
=>    interface has vanished completely from the table.  (All interfaces dense 
=>    mode, so I really expected to see it in there somewhere).  Turned off 
=>    multicast routing, deleted/added the interface from multicast capability, 
=>    to no avail.  Finally turned on "ip sd listen" on all interfaces, things 
=>    seemed to return to normal.

There were a few severe fastswitching/sd join related bugs that were fixed
after 11.1(2). Please try the latest 11.1(11.1(4)).

=>    like any other mcast group- when starting sd, your client issues an igmp 
=>    join to group 224.2.127.255 and sd traffic was sent your way.  My sniffer 
=>    seems to confirm this.  So, why is "ip sd listen" needed at all?

Doing a "show ip sd", you can see the sd-cache of advertizements.
It might help you in debugging.

=>    
=>    Am I completely confused?
=>    Tip: If running multicast in an AGS+ 11.0, disable fast multicast 
=>    switching.  I doscovered this the hard way.  See Cisco bugid 45353.

Did you see the latest enclosure to the bugid. Please try the latest
11.0 and see if you still have the AGS problem.

thanks,
manoj

---

From: Graeme Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 10:11:45 +0100 (BST)

> rather than the MBONE mailing list.

Why? Are you ashamed of something?  I personally would like to see these
questions and their answers on this list.  I am hoping to move to using
PIM in the near future and the more information I can get about it the
better.

=============================================================================
Graeme Wood                                 Email: [email-masked]
Unix Systems Support                        Phone: +44 131 650 5003
The University of Edinburgh                 Fax:   +44 131 650 6552
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scottish MICE National Support Centre       Email: [email-masked]
for your multimedia conferencing support    WWW:   http://mice.ed.ac.uk/mice/
=============================================================================

---

From: Jim Bogard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 10:55:48 -0400 (EDT)

> [email-masked] responded:
> PIM in the near future and the more information I can get about it the better.

Graeme-
Thanks.  I was holding my tounge, but in light of your response and the 
non-answers I've received from Cisco, I'm not going to bother.  Since 
when does Cisco run the mbone list?  More fun below: Following is my 
response to Manoj, which I politely did not cc: to the mbone list, and 
his response to me.  Note the lack of any real information, other than 
"ummm....ok, bugs exist.. upgrade."  I spent the better part of yesterday 
trying to figure out what was going on with this problem, and I am not 
pleased.  We run seven different protocols on our backbone and our 15 or 
so Ciscos connect to 5 different physical media types, so twiddling 
versions is not a trivial undertaking, especially since Cisco seems to break 
something _else_ in every release.  See the bug lists as evidence.

If y'all aren't interested in me asking questions 
about Cisco multicast stuff on this list, I'll stop.  However, I've seen 
lots of questions and answers on this topic through the last 1.5 yrs I've 
been following the list.

Sorry about the rant.  Cisco, get this stuff online somewhere!  
Enclosures as promised:

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 19:07:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jim Bogard <[email-masked]>
To: Manoj Leelanivas <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: cisco config quickie

> after 11.1(2). Please try the latest 11.1(11.1(4)).

Well, thanks.  How about putting it in the bug navigator on cco?  There 
are no
bug reports for _anything_ multicast/igmp related in 11.1.  Is there
somewhere else I should be looking?  So you have a page set up for
multicast issues?

> 11.0 and see if you still have the AGS problem.

Actually, I had just loaded 11.0(8.1) on the AGS and ws trying to test it
for integration of this bug when the adjacent 7000 started causing
problems.  What enclosure?  Again, I don't see it on cco.  It also lists
no integration date.

Thanks.

J-.

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 18:52:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Manoj Leelanivas <[email-masked]>
To: Jim Bogard <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: cisco config quickie

=>
=>    Actually, I had just loaded 11.0(8.1) on the AGS and ws trying to 
test it
=>    for integration of this bug when the adjacent 7000 started causing
=>    problems.  What enclosure?  Again, I don't see it on cco.  It also 
lists
=>    no integration date.

It still has a problem with certain AGS boxes; ie why it is in the held
state.

-----

Well, if you made it this far, thanks for reading.

J-.
----

---

From: Alex Tweedly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 08:49:05 -0700

> > PIM in the near future and the more information I can get about it the better.

No. But you get faster (and sometime better and more detailed)
response to questions mailed to a Cisco specific list than to a very
general purpose one. Many of the people on mbone list are not
interested in cisco-specific long, detailed answers. (And we avoid
getting mail accusing us of "taking over the mbone list for Cisco
purposes :-).

> lots of questions and answers on this topic through the last 1.5 yrs I've 

No, we're very interested in you asking questions on this list. We
would prefer that once we identify a particular issue - and we start a
detailed dialogue on it - that we move over to multicast-support for
the duration of that interaction (it's just not too interesting to
everyone else). We'd be happy to post a summary (or you can) to the
general list afterwards, but I think this is the best balance of usage
of the different lists.

> Sorry about the rant.  Cisco, get this stuff online somewhere!  

 ...

> problems.  What enclosure?  Again, I don't see it on cco.  It also lists

OK - you can't look at the enclosures on CSCdi45353; Manoj must have
slipped up and thought you were internal to Cisco.

However, the bug does have an entry that should appear in CCO - I'll
look into why you don't see it. In general, the bugs in multicast/igmp
are documented so that they should appear in CCO (I'm sure there are
some exceptions, but the majority are).

We believe that the problem described in CSCdi45353 is a subset of the
one described in CSCdi55507 - but are waiting for confirmation of that
from a couple of customers who originally reported it. Once (if) we get
that, we'll mark 45353 as a Dup of 55507. CSCdi55507 is integrated
into 11.0(8.1).  

I can't tell from the sections of earlier email included above whether
that explains any of what you've seen. If it doesn't, please send
email to multicast-support (or to mbone if you really prefer)

-- Alex Tweedly,  SW Development Manager for Multicast, etc.

---

From: Subramaniam Vincent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 10:12:20 -0700 (PDT)

At this stage I think its better we copy mbone on the tech issues. There
are quite a few people setting up on mbone with ciscos, and just posting a
summary of the problem after solving it, will sometimes take away the
"inferred" knowledge and its reach - that is the result of these
discussions on the list. Maybe when multicast networking "stabilizes", and
a lot of nuts and bolts info is already widespread, taking such issues
offline is a good  idea. (?) .

---

From: Scott Chesney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 09:52:08 -0800

>offline is a good  idea. (?) .
I'd like to second this idea. Currently we are using only tunnels, but need
to start moving the multicast routing to the cisco routers on campus. I'd
really rather not reinvent the wheel, particularly with the expertise and
experience of this group of people to draw on.

	--Scott                                 Network Manager
	[email-masked]                   (907) 474-7888 

		      http://www.gi.alaska.edu/~chesney

	Geophysical Institute,  University of Alaska Fairbanks
===============================================================================

 "The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow"
							-- from an Alascom ad