Subject: SDR information

From: "Ken Vescovi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 10:41:47 -0500

It looks like I'm inadvertently filtering sdr information at our firewall.
  Can one of you tell me the protocol and port information used for SDR
updates.

Thanks

Ken

-- 

Ken Vescovi
Principal Network Engineer
Concurrent Technologies Corporation
1450 Scalp Ave
Johnstown, PA 15904			ph 814.269.2687

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 13:19:15 -0500

>  Can one of you tell me the protocol and port information used for SDR

Global announcements are sent to 224.2.127.254, UDP port 9875.

Local announcenents are sent to 239.255.255.255, port 9875, but these
probably should not be passed through your firewall.

If you're within any administrative scope regions that go outside your
firewall, you'll have to pass the relevant groups too, but they will
be defined specifically for that scope zone.

Of course allowing sdr announcements to traverse your firewall without
allowing the data traffic for the sessions themselves would be of
limited use.

Cheers,
	Mark

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 12:22:19

>  Can one of you tell me the protocol and port information used for SDR

Just a quick reminder:

The protocol you're referring to is called SDP (or, more precisely,
SDP/SAP) - *not* SDR.  "sdr" is the name of a *program* - one of several
now available for receiving and/or creating SDP announcements.

(I'm reminded of the early days of the World Wide Web, when several people
would refer to it as "Mosaic".)

	Ross.