Subject: Rate Limiting

From: Sherif Mohamed Ismaiel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 22:35:30 +0200 (EET)

Hello!  
	A while back here in our company we were searching for a way to
limit the bandwidth of several entities connected to us through a router.
But we discovered that the bandwidth cannot be limited through a router
(we have cisco routers). But while going through the commands of
multicasting on the routers, I discovered that there are commands on a
cisco router that can limit the bandwidth of a link if the router is
mulicast enabled and the link has multicast traffic.
	I just want to know if someone has tried to limit the bandwidth of
a connection (having unicast traffic)by enabling multicast on the two
routers of a connection and using the rate limit command.....

			Thank you,
				Sherif Ismaiel

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 22:46:46 +0200

> (we have cisco routers).

Sure there is. Go to www.cisco.com, and search for CAR (Committed
Access Rate). It works reasonably well for us - even on incoming
traffic (we use it to rate limit ICMP traffic).

You need a pretty recent version of IOS to make this work, though.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, [email-masked]

---

From: "Daniel A. Alvarez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 22:21:53 +0100

> traffic (we use it to rate limit ICMP traffic).

	Or you could use traffic-shaping

dan