Subject: MBone VCR on Demand Service (MVoD) *new*

From: Wieland Holfelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:28:41 +0100 (MET)

...for all those people that asked me so often and for me to 
get real feedback and to make all these valuable MBone session 
available for our childrens and grandchildrens and to fill all 
those empty disks...

a binary release of the MBone VCR on Demand Service (MVoD)
is now available for download at the MVoD home page at:

   http://www.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/~whd/mvod

MVoD is the follow up project of the MBone VCR (which will no
longer be supported) and brings a lot of enhancements to the
old MBone VCR (well in fact it has not much to do with it anymore).
Some of the new features:

- distributed client/server architecture
- remote playback and recording on demand
- fully RTPv2 compatible
- interface to SAP/SDP
- multi user capable
- multi session capable
- playback per multicast or unicast
- scheduling of playback or record commands in the background
- and more...

The package comes with four components, an MVoD Client, an MVoD Server, 
an RTP DataPump daemon and an MVoD Administration tool.

Client, Server and Admin Tool are pure Java (JDK 1.1), the RTP DataPump is 
written in C++. Communication between Client and Server is Corba based
(Java IDL), communication between Server and RTP DataPump is realized with
the RTP DataPump Control Protocol (RDCP) which is a fully text based
protocol much like RTSP. The communication between Admin Tool and Server
is implemented with Java RMI. Did we forget any RPC mechanism?

For installation instructions see the README in the package.
Supported platforms for the RTP DataPump in this release:
- SUN Sparc Solaris 2.6
- SUN Sparc Solaris 2.5.1
- DEC Alpha OSF 4.0
- SGI Mips Irix 6.2
- i586 Linux (kernel version 2.30 or higher)

This project is part of my PhD Thesis, any feedback is more then welcome.

Special thanks goes to Achim Steinacker, Markus Kaas, Matthias Mattsson,
Michael Grundel, Reinhard Kirchner, Christian Bartolomae and many others
that supported me during the project!

Enjoy, 
-- Wieland
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wieland Holfelder                              University of Mannheim
Praktische Informatik IV                      Phone: +49-621-292-5679
L 15,16                                       Fax  : +49-621-292-5745
68131 Mannheim                     [email-masked]
Germany                    http://www.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/~whd
---------------------------------------------------------------------