Subject: vat v4.0b2 cause Solaris 2.5.1 kernel panic

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 09:51:41 +1000 (EST)

startup of vat sees:

	/dev/audioctl: Invalid argument

but more worrying is semi-random kernel panics. This happens on
point-to-point so is NOT mbone code itself but something wrong
in Solaris (even if it was mbone, that would be true but we can
assume its core code problems since its current spec opsys and
patches from sun .

Sparcstation 5... do they have some weird hardware other suns don't?

-George

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 08:58:03 +1000

Well the collated individual responses are that this is the same bug
we've seen in all versions of Solaris on this specific h/w since 2.4
at least, and that known driver patches don't fix it.

I was tempted to suggest we just stop buying their hardware until
they regain some of the value they showed when they first left Stanford
but I suppose I should re-submit the fault report to their problem db
again. Thats like 1 year old "anybody can crash you" and no fix...

They have had kernel crashdumps and traces, its not like we're not trying
to help.

bummer.

-George

--
George Michaelson         |  connect.com.au pty/ltd
Email: [email-masked] |  c/o AAPT,
Phone: +61 7 3834 9976    |  level 8, the Riverside Centre,
  Fax: +61 7 3834 9908    |  123 Eagle St, Brisbane QLD 4000