Subject: Joining the MBone

From: Ridvan Erdogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 22:31:45 -0700

Hi all,

We have a sun workstation, Solaris 2.4 running on it. We have set up a tunnel, upgraded its kernel, installed mrouted version 3.8 and all MBone tools. When we run mrouted, we were expecting to be connected to the MBone. But mrinfo shows that our tunnel is still down. What are we missing?

Any comment, idea?

Thanks in advance...
Regards Ridvan...

---

From: John Hawkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 11:15:12 -0400 (EDT)

[I've trimmed the cc-list to mbone-na]

> We have a sun workstation, Solaris 2.4 running on it. We have set up a
> tunnel,

All tunnels must have two endpoints. Presumably there is a problem with the
end that is not yours.

> upgraded its kernel, installed mrouted version 3.8 and all MBone
> tools. When we run mrouted, we were expecting to be connected to the
> MBone. But mrinfo shows that our tunnel is still down. What are we
> missing?

It might be helpful if you were to provide IP addresses of the tunnels
in question. What does the other end of the tunnel look like?

I assume this is an internal NPS issue? You should ask the folks you
got your tunnel from. NPS has an mbone tunnel from us (BBN Planet) to
mbone.nps.navy.mil (131.120.254.59). I'd suggest you check with the
administrators of that machine.

--jhawk