Subject: Re: Raising the bar on the MBone

From: [email-masked] (Tim Dorcey)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:32:24 -0700

At 7:40 PM 8/5/97, Jon Knight wrote:
>
>I do - I want an infrastructure that has good scaling properties, not a
>unicast hack that will max out as N exceeds double figures.

There are other kinds of scaling to consider besides audience size (e.g.,
number of active sources), and there is no reason to expect that a
technology that scales well as N grows has any other good scaling
properties.

I think there are interesting applications where N is greater than 1, but
does not exceed double figures, and it makes sense to explore technologies
that work well in that context, regardless of their applicability to large
N.

Perhaps that is not a topic for this list, but I get tired of people
bashing distribution schemes, that are obviously inferior to IP multicast
in some respects, are superior at the problem they were designed to solve.

Tim

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 21:40:03 +0200 (MET DST)

> in some respects, are superior at the problem they were designed to solve.

Perhaps not only people who want to promote multicasting but also
people paying for backbone infrastructure are tired of hearing how
wonderful RealAudio and CuSeeMee (Reflectors) are...