Subject: Announcing the 3.9-beta3 release of mrouted

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 19:53:15 PST

Note that this release contains a partial workaround for most of
the instability being seen in the MBone: the "blaster" keyword in
mrouted.conf .  If you have any neighbors running cisco's IOS who
haven't upgraded to a version with CSCdj31841 fixed, you are strongly
encouraged to upgrade to this version of mrouted and use the
"blaster" keyword on any tunnels or phyints on which you peer with
the buggy neighbors.

  Bill

$Id: README-3.9-beta3.mrouted,v 1.1.2.1 1998/03/01 03:00:20 fenner Exp $

	IP Multicast Extensions for BSD-Derived Unix Systems
	Multicast Routing Daemon

	Release 3.9-beta3
	February 28, 1998

	available from parcftp.xerox.com,
	file pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta3.tar.Z
	binaries:
	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta3-sparc-sunos41x.tar.Z
	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta3-sparc-solaris2.tar.Z
	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta3-i386-freebsd22.tar.Z
	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta3-alpha-osf1.tar.Z
	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta3-sgi-irix6.tar.Z

Note: The 3.9 release is mrouted-only, and will run on top of a 3.5 kernel.
It is a drop-in replacement for mrouted 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 or 3.8.

NOTE WELL: This is a beta-test release of mrouted.  The basic
functionality has been extensively tested in CAIRN and other
testbeds, but it is expected to have bugs.  Please report bugs to Bill
Fenner <[email-masked]>.

The 3.9-beta3 release fixes the following bugs:
  o There was a bug handling routing updates which caused random black
    holes.

  o There was a race condition in the timer handlers causing free'd memory
    to sometimes get touched.

  o "allow_nonpruners" wasn't allowed in the configuration file (and almost
    nobody noticed! - probably a good sign)

  o When a prune times out and the source has been active "recently",
    mrouted now waits for further traffic instead of triggering a new
    prune.

  o mrouted now ignores unreachable routes when making a routing decision
    (previously it would blackhole, now it can find a less-specific)

The 3.9-beta3 release has the following new features:
  o A "blaster" keyword for mrouted.conf, to turn on handling of routers
    (mostly ciscos) which overwhelm the socket buffers by blasting the
    whole routing table at once.

  o A "notransit" keyword; routes learned on a "notransit" vif will not be
    readvertised onto another "notransit" vif.

  o The 500kbps default rate limit on tunnels has been removed.

  o An ICMP listener which logs ICMP errors which appear to be in response to
    tunnel packets that we sent.

  o A tunnel traffic encapsulator, which encapsulates control traffic
    inside the tunnel instead of unicasting it "beside" the tunnel.
    This is turned off by default; use "beside off" to turn it on.

  o A "force_leaf" flag to ignore any potential neighbors on a given interface.

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 10:41:36 -0800 (PST)

>> encouraged to upgrade to this version of mrouted and use the

    And to make it easier to determine if CSCdj31841 is in the release your
    running, the bugfix initially went into the following releases:

	11.2(8.4) 11.3(1) 11.2(8.4)P 11.2(9)BC 11.3T(1)

Dino

---

From: Magnus Danielson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 19:56:28 +0100

>>>>> "BF" == Bill Fenner <[email-masked]> writes:

 BF> 	Release 3.9-beta3
 BF> 	February 28, 1998

 BF> 	available from parcftp.xerox.com,
 BF> 	file pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta3.tar.Z
 BF> 	binaries:
 BF> 	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta3-sparc-sunos41x.tar.Z
 BF> 	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta3-sparc-solaris2.tar.Z
 BF> 	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta3-i386-freebsd22.tar.Z
 BF> 	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta3-alpha-osf1.tar.Z
 BF> 	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta3-sgi-irix6.tar.Z

These filenames should be:

pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted-3.9-beta3.tar.Z
pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted-3.9-beta3-sparc-sunos41x.tar.Z
pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted-3.9-beta3-sparc-solaris2.tar.Z
pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted-3.9-beta3-i386-freebsd22.tar.Z
pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted-3.9-beta3-alpha-osf1.tar.Z
pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted-3.9-beta3-sgi-irix6.tar.Z

Small but significant difference for copy-and-waste people.

Cheers,
Magnus

---

From: Mark Prior <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 09:42:30 +1030

Does this mean it's not in the 11.1CA or 11.1CC trees?

Mark.

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 09:36:20 -0800 (PST)

>> Does this mean it's not in the 11.1CA or 11.1CC trees?

    That is correct. It is in the MFIB_branch release based off of 11.1CC.

Dino

---

From: Magnus Danielson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 19:56:28 +0100

BF> 	Release 3.9-beta3
 BF> 	February 28, 1998

Cheers,
Magnus

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 09:36:20 -0800 (PST)

Dino

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 10:41:36 -0800 (PST)

Dino

---

From: Mark Prior <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 09:42:30 +1030

Mark.

---

From: Jimmy Kyriannis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 15:55:08 -0500

>    That is correct. It is in the MFIB_branch release based off of 11.1CC.

Dino,

For those of us who are a bit less familiar with the Cisco development
trains, can I take it then that CSCdj31841 isn't fixed in 11.1 at all?  I'd
like to stick with 11.1, but if I can't, what version would you recommend
to be most stable on 11.2 from the vast array of choices I have on CCO's
FTP site?  :)

ftp> ls -C
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
11.2-interims  11.2.10aP      11.2.12        11.2.8-SA      11.2.9-GS4
11.2.10        11.2.10aP1     11.2.12-BC     11.2.8BC       11.2.9-GS7
11.2.10-BC     11.2.11        11.2.12P       11.2.8P        11.2.9-XA
11.2.10P       11.2.11-BC     11.2.4F1       11.2.9         11.2.9-XA1
11.2.10a       11.2.11P       11.2.4XA       11.2.9-BC      11.2.9P
11.2.10a-BC    11.2.11P1      11.2.8         11.2.9-GS24
226 Transfer complete.
ftp>

I tried running 11.2(11) on a 7000 about a month ago, and had some
excessive performance problems over a DVMRP tunnel and saw that the "ip sdr
listen" interface command was missing.  This forced me back down to
11.1(14).

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:02:27 -0800 (PST)

>> to be most stable on 11.2 from the vast array of choices I have on CCO's

    11.2(12). This release will get General Deployment (GD) status real soon
    now.

>> listen" interface command was missing.  This forced me back down to

    Very strange. Don't know why either would be the case.

Dino