Subject: Upside down audio?

From: "Scott A. McIntyre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 96 10:17:16 -0500

I've recently started experiencing a most peculiar problem.  In a VAT 
(4.0a8) session between myself and someone else at my "site" we are only 
able to exchange audio which is best compared with either the theme music 
to a horror film (lots of screechy broken violins, with the occasional 
low beat/rhythm for tension) or to the Battlestar Galactica villians the 
Cylons.

To the best of our knowledge, neither one of us have made any changes to 
our systems which would warrant this type of change.  I am running a Sun 
SparcStation 5 and the other party is running a Ultra 1.  Both with 
Solaris 2.5.

Another symptom is that our recent wb sessions are inverted.  Again, this 
was working fine up until a week or two ago, but since then, when we 
write on wb one person's looks upside down to the other.  We have the 
same page orientation and nothing has changed from that point of view.

I know this is silly, but could the two symptoms be somehow related to 
something going wrong with our mcast packets?  We do see each other's WB 
drawings, but inverted...and occasionally his audio yields something that 
sounds coherent to what is being broadcast.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Scott

P.S.  We're using primarily proteon routers and no mrouted at this time.  
Could this be a hardware problem?

---

From: Graeme Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 16:36:21 +0100 (BST)

> SparcStation 5 and the other party is running a Ultra 1.  Both with 

I have the same kind of audio problems on a SPARC 5 running 2.4 with patch
102125-02.  The problem only occurs if I run more than one vat session
simultaneously.  The problem occurs if audio is being heard on one vat
session and I start a new one up or if audio switches from one vat session
to another.  It seems that the switch over/startup causes something to be
reset on the audio device and causes the buffer sizes or something else to
be changed resulting a rather nasty noise. 

This *only* occurs with vat 4.0; vat 3.4 is fine.

> same page orientation and nothing has changed from that point of view.

I haven't a clue as to what might cause this :-<

=============================================================================
Graeme Wood                                 Email: [email-masked]
Unix Systems Support                        Phone: +44 131 650 5003
The University of Edinburgh                 Fax:   +44 131 650 6552
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scottish MICE National Support Centre       Email: [email-masked]
for your multimedia conferencing support    WWW:   http://mice.ed.ac.uk/mice/
=============================================================================