Subject: vic/vat on HP_UX10.20

From: Piers O'Hanlon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 19:07:10 +0000

Hi,

> Sounds like the binding to a multicast address succeeds but doesn't provide
> any data.  Try changing the code in net-ip.cc's IPNetwork::openrsock()
> to bind to INADDR_ANY before addr (if you get C++ working...).
> 
Thanks that worked just fine - once I actually got gcc-2.7.2.1 working (you 
need Patch PHKL_7962, GNU: binutils-2.7.tar.gz, grep-2.0.tar.gz, 
sed-2.05.tar.gz - thanks to Reinhard Foerster) and made a couple 10.20 tweaks 
to the vic code (10.20 now has a system gethostid - which I made vic use and 
cast the result to an int in main.cc, plus commented out the relevant bits in 
config.h/main.cc, plus a small tweak to a system file <sys/_inttypes.h> which 
looks better than the original one - and complies with vic's definitions 
(which I guess I could have tweaked  instead) - if you're going to call it 
signed then it might as well be signed.
OLD> typedef char int8_t;                     	     /* 8-bit signed integer */
NEW> typedef signed char int8_t;                     /* 8-bit signed integer */

I've left a binary of it (and vat) in:
http://www.avc.ucl.ac.uk/hp/software/

So it only leaves wb to be recompiled by someone. (or maybe when 10.30 comes 
out it will fix the problem?!) It seems that HPUX10.20 binds to the multicast 
address but then sends no traffic there - wierd.

Anyway thanks for the input.

Cheers,

Piers O'Hanlon
______________

MultiMedia Support and Comms Centre
University College London.

---

From: "Jeffrey S. Curtis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 16:05:11 -0600

Piers-

} [...]
}I've left a binary of it (and vat) in:
}http://www.avc.ucl.ac.uk/hp/software/

These appear to be working well on my 10.20 system.  Thanks for your effort!

}So it only leaves wb to be recompiled by someone. (or maybe when 10.30 comes 
}out it will fix the problem?!) It seems that HPUX10.20 binds to the multicast 
}address but then sends no traffic there - wierd.

That was my original suspicion, but I was thrown off by the fact that
sdr worked properly.  If you'd like, I can open up a support call with
HP to make sure they're aware of this issue, if no one else has done
so yet.

Jeff
-- 
Jeffrey S. Curtis                      | Internetwork Manager
Argonne National Laboratory            | Email: [email-masked]
9700 South Cass Avenue, ECT-221        | Voice: 630/252-1789
Argonne, IL 60439                      | Fax:   630/252-9689

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 14:13:19 PST

>}It seems that HPUX10.20 binds to the multicast 

Please do; it's important that this get fixed.  A system call that succeeds
but doesn't do what it claims to do is evil.

  Bill

---

From: "Jeffrey S. Curtis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 16:35:39 -0600

Bill Fenner writes:
}Please do; it's important that this get fixed.  A system call that succeeds
}but doesn't do what it claims to do is evil.

Done.  I'm waiting for a callback on my case and will update this list
when I get any useful information from HP.

Jeff