Subject: linux and mrouted problem

From: George Eleftheriou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 16:06:23 +0300 (EET DST)

Hello,
we are trying to connect a pc running linux with our multicast capable
router through a tunnel.
I have recompiled the kernel with multicast support,
and I have also done: route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth0
The programs sdr,vic,vat,wb run fine.
I can't run mrouted. I have added a phyint and a tunnel interface in
mrouted.conf but when i try to run it writing mrouted -d it says:
debug level 2
15:55:33.923 mrouted version 3.8
15:55:34.258 can't enable Multicast routing in kernel: Protocol not
available
What does the last sentence mean?
What should I do?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks very much for your time,
Regards,
George

---

From: "Rodrigo Costa Colossi - ITI - Prof. Wanderley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 12:48:30 -0300 (EST)

Hello George!

	What kernel version are you using? I'm using linux with routed
without problems, but I'd used kernel version 2.0.30 with some parameters
on the kernel. I tried to use mrouted with 2.0.0 but I had many problems.
	You can use this command line: dmesg | more    and see what's the
multicast version. In 2.0.30 is 0.06 instead 0.05 of 2.0.0.
	If you'll have more questions, please send me!

> Thanks very much for your time,

[]'s

Rodrigo Costa Colossi
---------------------
Federal University of Sao Carlos
mailto: [email-masked]
http://www.dc.ufscar.br/~rodrigo

---

From: "Rodrigo Costa Colossi - ITI - Prof. Wanderley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 13:58:53 -0300 (EST)

Hi!

	You can go to http://www.teksouth.com/linux/multicast/setup.html
and see more about kernel configuration. But remember that you must use
Linux IP multicast router 0.06.

[]'s

Rodrigo Costa Colossi
---------------------

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:19:15 PDT

>What does the last sentence mean?

Sounds like you forgot to build a kernel with multicast routing support.

  Bill