Subject: mrouted 3.8 on Linux 2.0.27; no prune, ioctl probs, anyone else?

From: Brad Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:41:12 -0500

Foolish me, I figured I'd try Linux as an mrouter.  I found that
mrouted 3.8 out of the box would not work.  Worse, the binary version
I found worked but did not prune (this put a heft load on my T1 and
made me unpopular :-).

So, I doubled back and debugged mrouted.  I now have a fixed version
which now works fine and prunes correctly on Linux.

I must assume someone else has already done this and I'm just spinning
my wheels (but it *was* a good excuse to look at the linux kernel code
and mrouted).

If this is interesting to anyone, please let me know.  Also, if I've
missed the boat and all of this has already been fixed elsewhere,
please point me to it.

-brad

---

From: Guido Muesch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 20:00:10 +0100 (MET)

> my wheels (but it *was* a good excuse to look at the linux kernel code
I do not know if anybody else succeeding in running mrouted under
Linux. Some time ago (1.3.x kernels) I got mrouted running, but it did
not forward mbone traffic into the local network. (It was not a
configuration problem, because it did work fine under FreeBSD). I
looked again at mrouting a month ago, but did not get it to work at all.
(Two Linux hosts in different networks).

> missed the boat and all of this has already been fixed elsewhere,
Yes, I would be interested how to get mrouted running again. What
kernel did you use? Nevertheless I would like to hear from other
peoples experiences with mrouted under Linux.

Ciao
  Guido