Subject: MBONE connection using CISCO routers

From: Marcus Fosker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 09:58:15 +0100

Hello,

I am having a problem getting MBONE routing working using my Cisco
routers. I have a Cisco 7505 and 7513 both running IOS 11.0.5 and I have
currently set up the following:

1 tunnel to my service provider using the 7505:

interface Tunnel0
 description MBONE Tunnel to Dallas
 ip unnumbered Loopback0
 ip pim sparse-mode
 ip multicast ttl-threshold 16
 ip multicast rate-limit in 500
 ip multicast rate-limit out 500
 tunnel source 194.42.224.18
 tunnel destination 199.183.9.1
 tunnel mode dvmrp

The tunnel comes up fine (apparently). I am then connecting the 7505 to
the 7513 using an E1 link. I have turned on:

ip pim dense-mode on the serial interfaces on both routers.

I am then trying to multicast down a FDDI interface and an ethernet
intreface on the 7513 to my local LANs. I am doing this by turning ip
pim sparse-mode on the relevant interfaces.

I am testing this using a Sun Sparc 5 station running Solaris 2.5. This
machine is attached to the FDDI ring using a EIFO FDDI to switched
ethernet switch. I am using the MBONE applications sdr, vat, and vic. I
can see the sessions appearing in sdr and I can join them which starts
up the relevant application. When using vat I can see other conference
members but they are unable to see me and I can't hear any traffic.

If I use the mrinfo command on the routers I get the following:

194.68.130.90 (linx.uk.netcom.net) [version cisco 11.0] [flags: PMS]:
  194.42.224.2 -> 194.42.224.1 (lon-1.bra-gw1.netcom.net.uk) [1/0/pim]
  194.42.224.18 -> 199.183.9.1 (ns4.noc.netcom.net)[1/16/tunnel/querier]

194.42.224.250 (bra-gw1.netcom.net.uk) [version cisco 11.0] [flags:PMS]:
  194.42.224.250 -> 0.0.0.0 [1/0/pim/querier/leaf]
  194.42.224.22 -> 0.0.0.0 [1/0/pim/querier/leaf]
  194.42.224.1 -> 194.42.224.2 (bra-1.lon-gw1.netcom.net.uk) [1/0/pim]

I'd be very grateful for any help anybody could give me.

Thanks in advance

Marcus Fosker
-- 
Marcus Fosker
NETCOM Internet Ltd.
Phone: +44 (0)1344 395500
Fax:   +44 (0)1344 420515