Subject: need some help with my 1st mrouted

From: Thomas Kernen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 18:57:30 +0100

Hello,
I'm trying to run mrouted 3.81 under Linux. I compiled my kernel with
the multicast option.
When I try to run mrouted I get the following (mrouted -d 2)
can't enable Multicast routing in kernel: Protocol not available

Any idea why?.

Currently my mrouted.conf only contains this (194.38.160.137 my local
IP):

tunnel 194.38.160.137 192.65.185.100  metric 1 threshold 16 rate_limit
500

TIA
Thomas Kernen

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Hall)
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 17:12:57 -0500 (EST)

Linux has two multicast options.

You need to enable both of them. One is IP multicast, and the other is ip
mrouting.

Depending on the code load, you will want to prompt for incomplete code
maturity to see the option for mrouting. If you're on the 2.0 tree, I'd
suggest finding the latest. If you're on the 2.1 tree, I'd suggest
gingerly poking at the latest kernel.

_J

---

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 11:00:01 -0800

If you can't get mrouted and apps running on your linux box just
download FreeBSD from http://www.freebsd.org.

	Cheers,
	Amancio

---

From: Thomas Kernen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 20:18:32 +0100

I would like to thank everyone who helped me get my mrouted run under
Linux.

Best regards,
Thomas Kernen