Subject: Fore/Alantec Powerhub warning

From: [email-masked] (Craig M Votava)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 10:21:55 -0600

Folks-

A while ago I asked for some help with a multicast routing problem between
a cisco router and a Powerhub. Many thanks go to all of the folks who
responded, and pointed me in the direction of the correct solution, which
was to use the "ip dvmrp unicast routing" command on the cisco, until the
upgraded software is available for the powerhub.

The warning I want to issue is because after entering the above command on
the cisco, things SEEMED to work on the powerhub, until we looked closer,
and saw that anybody who participated in our MBONE session, who was more
than 1 router away, never showed up in our vat or vic participants list.

This was very puzzling, and we couldn't figure out what was going on, until
we happen to have to reboot the Powerhub. After the reboot, everything worked
fine! Then I remembered that in the past, we've seen strange things happen
when we changed the multicast configuration on the powerhub, and it seemed
that it all cleared up after a reboot.

My suggestion to you powerhub administrators is that if you're using the 2.0
multicast version, and you make multicast changes to the configuration, reboot
after you do so. It will save you the confusion that I went through.

-Craig

	()_()	Craig Votava
	 (_)	Lucent Technologies
		[email-masked]