Subject: Re: Multicast for switches ?

From: [email-masked] (Hans Eriksson)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 18:38:34 +0200

Toerless,

I've heard that 3Coms LanPlex 2500 can do DVRMP. I think I read it in this
list but I am not sure. As I have a LP2500, I am about to ask 3Com about
details but I never seem to find the time...

The LP 2500 is a switch that also can route IP. It has up to 16 ethernet
ports and 2 high-speed ports (FDDI, 100base-T).

/hans

---

From: Peter Eriksson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 18:50:52 +0200

> details but I never seem to find the time...

The 3COM LanPlex 2500 (and 6000) can do both DVMRP routing and 
IGMP snooping as of software release 7.0.0-ES (I'm running it here
at ifm.liu.se on four LP2500's). Works like a charm. 

(IGMP snooping = it looks at each switch port for IGMP messages and
only forwards IP multicast traffic out thru those ports if anyone on
that port has announced that it wants that traffic).

> ports and 2 high-speed ports (FDDI, 100base-T).

The high-speed port can also be an ATM interface.

- Peter
--
Peter Eriksson <[email-masked]>	       Computer Systems Manager
WWW: http://www.ifm.liu.se/~peter/ 	           Phone: +46 13 282786 
Linkvping University, Department of Physics, S-581 83 Linkvping, Sweden