Subject: IPv6 obsoletes MBOEN?

From: Alexander Specker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 12:15:12 +0100 (MET)

Will MBONE be obsoleted by IPv6?

I mean it in a way, that all hosts in a IPv6 Internetwork
are able to receive and send multicast traffic and so no
tunneling mechanisms and mrouted's are further needed?

alex

----------------------------------------------------------------
Alexander Specker      [email-masked]
Gerbergasse 1          [email-masked]
89073 Ulm, Germany     URL: http://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_aspec1/
Tel. 0731/63643        Tel.(FAW): 0731/501-8691

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 11:28:51 +0000

>tunneling mechanisms and mrouted's are further needed?

Clearly this depends on your definition of the Mbone.  I choose to
define the Mbone as that interconnected part of the internet that
supports multicast (whether tunnelled or native).  If every router
everywhere supported multicast, the term Mbone would not be useful,
but the Mbone itself would be ubiquitous.

Mark

---

From: Arlie Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 11:52:22 -0500 (EST)

> tunneling mechanisms and mrouted's are further needed?

I sure hope so.  Eventually, before we reach IPv6 or anything past IPv4, 
we should have close to full deployment of native multicast routing.

Right now, except for a few aggravatingly unenlightened Ascend products, 
my part of the network uses native multicast routing (on ciscos).

-- arlie