Subject: ICMP unreachable errors in response to multicast

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:00:08 PST

In November, we discovered that there are still a number of systems
that respond to multicast packets with ICMP errors.  Most of these
are attributable to a bug that crept into IOS around the 11.2(8.1) timeframe.

If your router is on this list and it is a cisco, please upgrade it to
11.2(9.1) or later.  The IOS bugID is CSCdj43447.  If your router is on
this list and it is not a cisco, please contact your vendor for a solution
to the problem.

Here is the list of sites that were on the list that I sent in
November that are still causing the problem:

IP address      Type    Hostname	Router type
----------      ----    --------        -----------
128.252.157.1	Port	?	cisco Version 11.2(9) mrouter
128.82.254.11	Port	?	cisco 11.2 mrouter
128.82.254.12	Port	?	cisco 11.2 mrouter
128.95.1.9	Port	cisco3640.cs.washington.edu	cisco Version 11.2(8.3)P mrouter
130.111.1.49	Port	gw-orono.caps.maine.edu	cisco 11.2 mrouter
131.188.185.100	Net	lancom1.linguistik.uni-erlangen.de	ELSA MicroLink LANCOM
134.55.23.67	Port	esnet2-es-fddi2.es.net	cisco 11.2 mrouter
172.16.199.2	Port	?
199.94.193.90	Port	maine.bbnplanet.net	cisco 11.2 mrouter

Here is the list of sites that have started sending ICMP unreachables
since the monitoring in November:

IP address      Type    Hostname	Router type
----------      ----    --------        -----------
128.186.254.7	Port	fddi10.c7507.dsl.fsu.edu
128.193.40.226	Port	cat5k-gw.ENGR.ORST.EDU
128.59.45.12	Host	butler-gw.net.columbia.edu
129.143.103.118	Port	?
129.143.61.6	Port	?
130.206.1.6	Host	?
130.83.127.4	Port	cis23.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de
130.83.127.8	Port	cis4181c.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de
130.85.14.2	Port	rsm1.umbc.edu
131.188.7.66	Port	toptenn.gate.uni-erlangen.de
131.188.7.8	Port	sashimi.gate.uni-erlangen.de
131.215.254.50	Host	SteeleBasementCat5500RSM.ilan.caltech.edu
132.176.114.248	Port	C45-Pro8-1A.fernuni-hagen.de
134.55.23.66	Port	esnet-lbl.es.net
139.30.251.20	Port	?
140.172.9.254	Port	mss-brdwy-T1-2.boulder.noaa.gov
143.108.24.1	Port	mbone.ansp.br
143.93.173.3	Port	moerin.Fh-Worms.DE
157.130.160.94	Port	noaa-gw.customer.ALTER.NET
188.1.10.62	Port	DFN-GS-Stuttgart1.WiN-IP.DFN.DE
188.1.11.106	Port	KR-FH-Worms1.WiN-IP.DFN.DE
188.1.11.18	Port	?
188.1.162.50	Port	DFN-Berlin1.WiN-IP.DFN.DE
188.1.3.252	Port	mr-hamburg1.win-ip.dfn.de
188.1.4.118	Port	?
188.1.4.142	Port	gigacisco.hrz.uni-bielefeld.de
188.1.6.30	Port	?
188.1.6.78	Port	DSHS.WiN-IP.DFN.DE
188.1.7.252	Port	mr-leipzig1.win-ip.dfn.de
188.1.9.252	Port	mr-nuernberg1.win-ip.dfn.de
193.174.226.10	Port	mr-hannover1.win-ip.dfn.de
193.174.226.2	Port	mr-stuttgart1.win-ip.dfn.de
193.174.226.38	Port	mr-koeln1.win-ip.dfn.de
198.128.16.11	Port	lbl-lc1-1.es.net
199.44.5.226	Port	fsu-bgp.sprintans.net