Subject: Stupid Newbie Question about NetBIOS multicast

From: [email-masked] (Dustin Clampitt)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 12:10:15 -0500 (EST)

Greetings:

Pictel is getting ready to route multicast IP internally and participate
in MBONE as well.  Just a couple glitches to work out with Alantec, and
we're on the air.  (Although our mrouted machine is a dual homed
SPARC running mrouted release 3.8)

We're also wrestling with getting several hundred Windows For
Workgroups (NetBIOS) users configured with IP stacks on our way to
becoming a MS NT installation.  We've noted in some of our tests that
the FTP Software IP suite uses an IP multicast address in some part
of its communications.

We are going to get FTP in here to discuss this and other multicast
matters, but in the interim I'm curious what impact this sort of
conflict might have on the MBONE community.  I'm really new at this
stuff. And while I'm reading everything that comes by I'm not certain I
fully understand the implications here.  Maybe it's a silly concern,
maybe I should be made aware of other issues.

How do I keep non-MBONE multicast packets from getting out of Pictel?
I don't see the ability to apply filters to mrouted.  I don't relish
the idea of visiting 1000 PCs to set multicast TTL parameters (which
probably don't exist anyway.)

All pointers welcomed.

Thanks,

Dustin Clampitt

-- 
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Dustin Clampitt - PictureTel Corp. - Andover, MA - [email-masked]   |
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------