Subject: gated-R3_5Beta_3 and gated-R3_6Alpha_1

From: Laurent Joncheray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 15:23:51 -0500 (EST)

Hi gated people!
	Merit has released gated-R3_6Alpha_1 and gated-R3_5Beta_3.
	R3_5Beta_3 is basicly R3_5Beta_2 plus some bugs fixes (C.f. attached
Change list).
	R3_6Alpha_1 is the first 'Merit' version, with those new features:
- DVMRP/PIM code from Tom Pusateri
- New Postscript / Tex / HTML doc
- Gated Interactive Interface (GII)
- New autoconfiguration process
- Support for HP10x systems.
	For more details look at
	http://www.merit.edu/~gated/consort_guide/dec4_notes/lpj_intro.html

	Personal notes about DVMRP/PIM:

The PIM code has not been tested at all. According to Tom, it works.
The DVMRP code has been tested for a while in a small test bed. Gated was
running for a few hours with 1 tunnel and 2,000 routes without crashing,
but i beleive that there is still a lot of bugs in the code. This code
is been released so the Mbone guys can have a look at it and report bugs,
fixes, etc... I do not recommand the code as a production quality.
Remenber, this is an *alpha* release.
DVMRP runs only on the Xerox PARC IP Multicast 3.3 and 3.5 kernel releases
(Sun OS4.1, ???).

	As usual, everything is on ftp.gated.merit.edu://net-research/gated
I also put the postscript doc (gated.ps) on the FTP directory.

		-- lpj

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Changes for the R3_6Alpha_1 distribution

General:
        Reorganization of the doc/ directory.

        A new LaTeX documentation in doc/tex, a new HTML documentation
        in doc/html generated from the LaTeX doc.

        A new auto-configuration process ('make autoconf').

        Support for HP 10x systems.

DVMRP:
        Added support for DVMRP. Still a lot of bugs, but that's an Alpha!

PIM:
        Added support for PIM. Never tested.

IGMP:
        Added support for IGMP. Still a lot of bugs, but that's an Alpha!

GII:
        Added a new Gated Interactive Interface (GII).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Changes for the R3_5Beta_3 release

General:
        [The number between parantheses refers to the mail ID on the
        gated mailing list]

        Fix to bgp_mib.c from Acee Lindem
                ([email-masked])
        A fix for aspath refcounts and aggregate/generate from
                [email-masked] (19960112.095231.RWOUNDY@RHQVM21)
        Fixes for OSPF loops with SUM_NETs, SUM_ASBs, and ASEs from
                [email-masked] (19960112.094555.RWOUNDY@RHQVM21)
        A fix for potential reconfig core for aggregate/generate routes
                from [email-masked] (19960112.101140.RWOUNDY@RHQVM21)
        Fixes for minor OSPF trace bugs from [email-masked]
                (19960112.102706.RWOUNDY@RHQVM21)
        A re-submission of the kernel remnant bugs from [email-masked]
                (19960112.103201.RWOUNDY@RHQVM21)
        A minor discrepancy with icmp_recv() from [email-masked]
                (19960112.103904.RWOUNDY@RHQVM21)

-- 
Laurent Joncheray,                                  E-Mail: [email-masked]
    Merit Network Inc, 4251 Plymouth Rd, Suite C,   Phone:  +1 (313) 936 2065
    Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA                        Fax:    +1 (313) 747 3185
"This is the end, Beautiful friend. This is the end, My only friend, the end" JM