Subject: MBone apps for Windows?

From: Steve Deering <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 17:44:02 -0700

I could have sworn that I saw a message within the last week, *probably*
sent to either the mbone or rem-conf mailing list, explaining where the
most functional versions of vat/rat/vic/sdr/(wb?) for Windows can be found,
but I can't seem to find that message in any of my folders.  If someone
knows the message I am talking about, would you please forward it to me
(privately, assuming everyone else who might have been interested already
saw it, and I'm the only idiot to lose it).

(No, I haven't given up my Mac.  I'm seeking the info for a colleague. :-)

Steve

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 19:28:12

At 05:44 PM 5/8/98 -0700, Steve Deering wrote:
>but I can't seem to find that message in any of my folders.

(I'm not 100% sure that I saw such a message, and this seems to be a
frequently-asked question anyway, so I'm cc'ing to the "mbone" & "rem-conf"
lists.)

The most up-to-date versions of these tools appear to be the recent
releases from University College, London.  They have these versions listed
in a table at
	<http://scrappy.cs.ucl.ac.uk/shrimp/tools.html>

(BTW, I've also bundled their versions of "vic", "rat", "wbd", and "nte"
into a single self-extracting installer package; you can download this from
	<http://www.lvn.com/multikit/wintools.html>.
This may be more convenient for people in the U.S., during times of
trans-Atlantic network congestion.)

	Ross.

---

From: Steve Deering <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 20:53:24 -0700

A couple people sent me the message I was seeking; it was from Christophe
Orlhac to the mbone list, dated 27 Apr, subject "Hardware for multicasting ?".
It contained the following very useful URL:

	http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/K.Hasler/shrimp/bin/

which Ross Finlayson also posted here.

Thanks!

Steve

---

From: ORLHAC Christophe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 10:22:32 +0200

Hello,

Here is a very interesting URL :
http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/K.Hasler/shrimp/bin/

Vat, Rat, Vic and SDR seems to work very well. WB works quite well and NTE is
OK excepted that fonts are very small.

A+.
Christophe.

---

From: Hugh LaMaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 09:21:33 -0700 (PDT)

> 	http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/K.Hasler/shrimp/bin/

I concur. I finally got around to downloading the new tools 
(I didn't have very good luck with the previous versions of 
the  W95/Mbone tools) and ran them on W95.  [They should 
also work on NT - reports?]
  
They seemed to work pretty well, and wb is there now, 
also.  Anyone who gave up on using the initial port 
should try these debugged versions.  

[Of course, I use FreeBSD most of the time when running
on x86's, but, these are handy to have and seem usable.]

The bottom line: W95 Mbone users should try these.

-
 Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21,    ASCII Email: [email-masked]
 NASA Ames Research Center     Or:          [email-masked]
 Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000  No Junkmail: USC 18 section 2701
 Phone: 650/604-1056           Disclaimer:  Unofficial, personal *opinion*.

---

From: "Alan J. Flavell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 18:51:39 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Hugh LaMaster wrote:

> I concur.

Me too.  Those UCL folks have done good work (Disclaimer: I'm speaking
as a dumb user who has not looked under the covers!). 

The speedup of vic is truly astonishing.

> also work on NT - reports?]

They seem to be working fine on two NT4 systems we've tried.

One system has some trouble with audio hangups, but it has trouble
with audio on NetMeeting too, so it seems to be something with its
sound card or with that card's driver software, rather than anything
amiss with rat.

> The bottom line: W95 Mbone users should try these.

NT too.  There's a working sdr for NT.

Accidentally running two instances of rat under W95 can hang the
audio system, I've found (reported to K.H).  That's not a problem 
on NT4.

all the best

---

From: Eric Kozowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 12:46:06 -0700

>also work on NT - reports?]

seems to work ok on nt 4.0 worstation.  minor cosmetic bugs, but it's
fairly stable.

---

From: Alexei Gromov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 09:46:44 +0100

Hi, All,
Have anyone got any problems with VAT under Win95? I've got some errors
when I tried to start VAT under Win95 with MSIE 4.0, but none with Win95
and Netscape 4.03. The configuration was fast the same. Does anyone know
any reasons?

Thanks.
Bye.

Alexej Gromov