Subject: mrouted.cache

From: [email-masked] (Ridvan Erdogan)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 96 16:57:42 PDT

Hi all,

Here is an entry from my mrouted.cache file:

Multicast Routing Cache Table (77 entries)
 Origin             Mcast-group     CTmr  Age Ptmr IVif Forwvifs
>198.211.79.3
 202.32.71.142/32   224.2.171.94      6m  55s    - -1
  ..
  ..
  ..

I have two Vifs (Vif 0 and Vif 1). What does -1 means for the incoming Vif?
I have looked at the man page of mrouted but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance...
Regards Ridvan...

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 21:27:24 PDT

>I have two Vifs (Vif 0 and Vif 1). What does -1 means for the incoming Vif?

It means that mrouted could not determine a route for the host 202.32.71.142,
so it installed a forwarding entry with no outgoing vif's and an illegal
incoming vif so that the kernel would drop all traffic.  Is there a route
for 204.32.71.142 in your /usr/tmp/mrouted.dump when you kill -USR1 mrouted?

  Bill