Subject: Multicast Problem

From: Ridvan Erdogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 23:55:52 -0700

Hi all,

We have a multicast problem. Is there anybody who had this kind of problem before?

Here is what we have:

A Cisco router: Latest version of Cisco Software is running on it and ip multicast is enabled.
An FDDI subnet, subnet A
An Ethernet subnet, subnet B
An SGI workstation, HostSGI

Our FDDI subnet, subnet A, is directly connected to the Cisco router. We are able to send and receive audio and video within this subnet and from/to outside of this subnet. One of the hosts on subnet A, HostSGI is dual-homed. It also has an Ethernet card and is connected to subnet B.  Mrouted  version3.8 is running on this workstation. When we create a session on subnet A, we are able to see this session on subnet B. We can send and receive audio and video between subnet A and subnet B. But, we cannot see the sessions created outside of the subnet A. For instance, we cannot join "MBone Audio" session from subnet B.

We have tried installing  mrouted into one of the hosts on the subnet B and setting  up a tunnel between HostSGI and that host, but it didn't solve our problem. Before we have enabled ip multicasting on Cisco router, we had a multicast tunnel to HostSGI and didn't have this problem.

Any comments, ideas are very appreciated.

Regards...
Ridvan Erdogan
[email-masked]

---

From: "Paul S. Nazario" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 07:05:44 -0500 (CDT)

Greetings,

I'm working on setting up a new mbone feed and was wondering if the 
problems I'm having are typical:

At times, my SD listing on my Cisco router (which is my tunnel endpoint) 
goes blank.  Do SD advertisements sometimes disappear?

When sdr is working, I'll often times try to click on an event and get 
messages like:

Sdr: Invalid audio format 0
Sdr: Invalid video format 31

I've tried changing the tools SDR invokes with no luck at solving this 
problem and, in fact, the dialog box indicates that it is sdr which is 
unhappy.  Is this caused by bad session listings, a bug in sdr or my 
having something not working right?

Finally, is there a "tone-and-bars" for the mbone?  Something which is 
low-bandwidth but always there that I can point my tools at just to make 
sure things are working?  I'm looking for something that is 24x7.

Thanks for your help 
paul

//----------------------------------------------------------\\
|  Paul Nazario                      [email-masked]   |
|  University of Wisconsin             phone: 608-262-2595   |
|  Division of Information Technology    fax: 608-265-6453   |
|  Network Engineering Technology                            |
\\----------------------------------------------------------//

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 96 14:00:26 +0100

>having something not working right?

This problem is caused by running an out-of-date version of sdr.  You
shouldn't get this on any 2.2 release of sdr - the current release for
most platforms in 2.2a9.

If you have to run a pre-2.2 version (because it was a port that I
didn't do and hasn't been repeated) I can give you a fixed .sdr.tcl,
but this only fixes receiving new RTP advertisements, not sending them.

Mark

---

From: Yves Lepage <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 96 09:32:38 -0400

Hi,

>Sdr: Invalid video format 31

This was happening to me when I was  using sdr 2.1* ... Get sdr 2.2a9, it should make
this problem go away.

I hope this helps.
Yves Lepage