Subject: Re: Inexpensive MBONE "encoding" machine.

From: Paradise Software <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 17:22:58 -0400 (EDT)

> From [email-masked] Tue Apr  7 16:35 EDT 1998
> Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 10:45:38 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Hugh LaMaster <[email-masked]>
> To: "Forrest W. Christian" <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Inexpensive MBONE "encoding" machine.
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Sender: [email-masked]
> 
> On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Forrest W. Christian wrote:
> 
> > I'm needing to put together a machine that will do a good job at real-time
> > audio and video encoding for the MBONE.
> > 
> > I also don't want to spend a lot of money.
> 

Well, I'll make a pitch for another solution, though its commercial
and I built it (which makes me slightly biased) :

Paradise Software sells Simplicity H.323, which includes MBONE
compatibility.  You should be able to pick up a brand new NT box
with a Pentium II 300Mhz with lots of disk/ram for under $2500. For
another $2500 you can get Simplicity H.323 with an Osprey-1000
codec, camera, mic/speaker, software, etc...

This will give you SDP support, single audio/video encoder/decoder
application and hardware-assisted H.261 encode/decode.

In addition, you get H.323 compatibility, a java/browser interface,
a software upgrade path for H.263 and G.723, echo cancellation, a
software upgrade path for T.120 (whiteboard, chat, application
sharing, etc...) and my kitchen sink....

I don't know if mrouted runs on NT yet, so that might be a problem
if you need to do that on the same box also.

john.

---

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 19:14:00 -0700

I hate to ask 8)

Anyway that you guys can port the H.323 stack to FreeBSD or Linux and offer
it for XYZ dollars?

	Tnks!
	Amancio

---

From: Chris Shenton <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Apr 1998 09:39:20 -0400

Do check out the icast.com product. Runs on (shudder) NT but does the
usual MBONE stuff and more. It appears to be real easy to set up and
run. Got it in house here but haven't had time to give the demo a
test drive yet.  Looks like a real nice product.

(When I asked why their server stuff doesn't run on UNIX they said:
heck, you know this stuff was developed on UNIX -- it all
interoperates with what you're running now. :-)