Subject: Create/Join multicast group

From: "Lih-Er.Wey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 97 17:33 EST

I have a unsolved probem for quite some time now, hope
some one can share me some hint on this.

I have configured a DVMRP tunnel between a SUN (with mrouted) and a Cisco
router. Both ethernet0 and ethernet1 interface on Cisco is PIM enabled.
It seems worked all fine - I can see all the sdr announcement(created
outside the cisco's subet), and join the group from the host on
either side of cisco's interface subnet.

The problem is that - when I use sdr to create a session, the session only
shows up at one side of cisco's subnet. (if sdr created in ethenet0
side, the group announcement entry will not show up in ethernet1 and vise
versa.)

Say - host "a" and host "b" in ethernet1 subnet. Host "a" creat a session with
group address 224.2.183.157/28328. Both host "a" and "b" will see the session
announcement from sdr and be able to select the session from sdr and join
the group and see each other there.

Host "c" in ethernet0 subnet never see the session announcement in sdr.
If host "c" use 224.2.183.157/28328 to activate VAT seesion, from the
vat window it only shows host "c" there. The only way for host "a", "b"
and "c" to see each other in the vat session is having host "a" and "b"
also using command - vat 224.2.183.157/28328 to participant the session.
(not runing vat via sdr).

why host "C" can't see "a" and "b" at first? Why sdr couldn't pass the seesion
announcement to other side of cisco router?

Any hint would be much appreciated.

Lih-Er Wey

Network Services
Computer Lab,
Michigan State University

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 17:02:58 PST

I can't suggest why sdr advertisements don't make it, although I can
suggest using "show ip mr 224.2.127.254" to see if it has forwarding
cache entries for the sdr group.  However, I may be able to shed some

>(not runing vat via sdr).

When you run vat via sdr, it normally runs it in RTP mode, with the "-r"
command line switch.  If you run vat on "C" with the "-r" switch, you
will probably see "a" and "b" even if they started their vats from sdr.

  Bill