Subject: multicast tests on ATM LANE

From: "Ken Vescovi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 16:55:24 -0500

Hello Mbone community.

I would appreciate any information related to testing the throughput of
multicast packets on LAN emulation over ATM. We are currently running FORE's
Spans protocol and would like to perform a test, multicast over ATM LANRE
versus multicast over FORE IP (Spans).

If you know of someone who has performed these tests, please forward contact
information to me.

Thank you.

Ken

-- 

Ken Vescovi
Senior Network Engineer
Concurrent Technologies Corporation
1450 Scalp Ave
Johnstown, PA 15904			ph 814.269.2687

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 01:12:07 +0200 (EET)

> If you know of someone who has performed these tests, please forward contact
There is no limitation on the bandwidth of the multicast in a LANE
environment by specification itself. I've been happily running
multimegabit (30Mbps) multicast traffic over LES/BUS combination running in
Cisco Catalyst 5000.

However, the implementations of the BUS and the LEC's connecting to
the BUS vary greatly. For example some stupid implementations limit
the bandwidth to BUS to a maximum, like 1.5 megabit or so. This
effectively kills the possibility for high-bandwidth multicast.

Pete