Subject: multicasting for win95

From: "Brett D. Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 11:39:25 -0400

i've picked up some software i saw discussed here for windows 95 but the 
part i'm missing is how to make windows95 multicast aware.  is there a set of 
patches?  is there a replacement stack?  or some other software package?

  i've searched the web and mailing lists high and low but haven't come up 
with anything.  i don't seem to remember anyone here explicitly stating how to 
do it, only that the mbone type tools are available.  apologies if i missed 
this somewhere.

-brett

---

From: Mark Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 17:00:30 -0500 (CDT)

> patches?  is there a replacement stack?  or some other software package?

Win95 (or so I've been told) doesn't need any replacement stack; the stack
that comes with it (if it's anything like the WinNT stack as far back as
Workstation 3.5) should receive multicast traffic by itself.

I'd suggest downloading Arlie Davis' SD program (as a windowing program or
as a console app, if it's still available).  That was the first thing to
be ported over to the Windows platform that I know of, and there's a lot
less that can go wrong with it.

If you don't get anything there, my next suggestion would be to make sure
that you have a multicast router (an mrouted) on your subnet.  If you
don't have a UNIX box running an mrouted or the right types of routers &
router software, you can multicast till you're blue in the face, but you
won't get anywhere outside of your local subnet.

--Mark
"How may I be honest with you today?"
  Tuvok, ST:VOY

---

From: Hur Sang Jin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 1996 01:04:09 +0900

> do it, only that the mbone type tools are available.  apologies if i missed

Built-in TCP/IP of the Win95 and NT3.51 supports IP multicast extension. 
therefore no problems.

if you need test this capability ,you should use Winsock function "setsockopt()" 
and "struct ip_mreq".

	struct ip_mreq	mgrp;

	mgrp.imr_multiaddr = //multicast address;
	mgrp.imr_interface.s_addr = htons( INADDR_ANY );

	if( setsockopt( sock, IPPROTO_IP, IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP, (char*)&mgrp, 	
	sizeof(mgrp) ) )
	{
		MessageBox( 0, "setsockopt: sock","Network Error", MB_OK );
	}

	// Note : Win95 does not support loopback control 
	// 
In "winsock.h" in Visual C++ 2.0 ,4.0 you see "IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP", 
"IP_DROP_MEMEBERSHIP", etc. 

Note : Win95 does not support loopback control 
       after "recv() call", filtering procedure is needed. 

Good-luck.