Subject: New sdr (2.4a6n) available

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 18:51:22 -0400

As several people have pointed out, the current versions of sdr
contain a bug which can cause sdr to crash on receiving an
announcement which is missing the session name field.  As clones of
sdr have been appearing increasingly frequently recently along with
the accompanying broken announcements, I am releasing a version of sdr
that is at least a little more hardened to receiving bogus messages.

I hadn't planned to release another sdr version until I had the
session invitation code properly conformant with the SIP spec we're
about to release.  The SIP code in sdr 2.4 is not compatible with the
code in 2.3 or 2.2, and there's a fair chance 2.4a6 won't be
compatible with 2.4a7 either.  If you don't use session invitations
this won't affect you.

This version of sdr also uses the local administratively scoped range
(see draft-ietf-mboned-admin-ip-scope-03.txt) for *local*
announcements.  This means previous versions of sdr won't hear its
local announcements unless they are all configured to do so.  Thus
it's best if you upgrade all the platforms at a site simultaneously if
you use sdr internally.  This version of sdr makes these local
announcements with a ttl of 15, but this ttl limit is only because I
don't believe all the site-admin people out there have configured site
borders for local scope yet.  Please encourage your network
administrator to do this.

To comply with US export regulations, this version of sdr does not
contain the encryption capabilities that were in sdr 2.3a1.  

Binaries for SunOS, Solaris, FreeBSD and Digital Unix as well as
source code are all available from http://buttle.lcs.mit.edu/sdr/

As always, please let me know if you have any problems or if you build
sdr for another platform.

Cheers,
	Mark