Subject: Alpha release of snmp-mrouted3.8.2, mrtree, mconfig

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 16:43:07 -0500 (EST)

Now available for ftp in:
   ftp://ftp.merit.edu/net-research/mbone/snmp/
or via
   http://www.merit.edu/net-research/mbone/.download.html

The SNMP-capable mrouted3.8.2 release fixes a few minor bugs in 3.8.1 and 
adds remote configuration capability.  In addition to mstat, this release 
also includes the mrtree and mconfig utilities.

mrtree is an SNMP-based utility for gathering information about a multicast 
tree rooted at a given router.  In the process of discovering a tree, it 
gathers information about the capabilities of the constituent routers as 
well as packet count statistics.

mconfig displays the MBone configuration of an SNMP-capable multicast router,
and allows modifying the configuration if the user knows an appropriate
community string.  This requires the existence of /etc/snmpd.private
on the router, containing a list of acceptable community strings separated
by whitespace.

Source and binaries are available for SunOS, Solaris, HP-UX, FreeBSD/BSDI,
and OSF/1.  SGI Irix binaries should be available shortly as well.
(Thanks to Magnus <[email-masked]> for Irix and HP-UX testing, and 
contributing code to the porting effort in general.)

Disclaimer: I've tested mstat and mconfig on all platforms listed above, 
but I've only tested the snmp-capable mrouted under SunOS and FreeBSD.  If 
you encounter any problems with the binaries for other platforms, let me 
know - they may need to be recompiled.

Finally, Merit is now mirroring most MBone applications under
   ftp://ftp.merit.edu/net-research/mbone/mirrors
and an index of MBone-related software is available at
   http://www.merit.edu/net-research/mbone/.archive.html

Dave Thaler

---

From: Michel Colin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 09:08:12 +0100

------------------------------ Start of body part 1

Dave,

I have just installed your mrouted snmp 3.8.2 on a sparc running 
Solaris 2.5 with multicast 3.5+ provided by Sun.

When starting mrouted, the following error occurs

# ./mrouted -d 3
debug level 3
08:20:55.699 mrouted version 3.8
snmp_vars.c(318): nlist
# 

Michel

------------------------------ Start of body part 2

===============================================================================
 Michel Colin                                           Tel. +32-2-650 57 03
                                                        Fax: +32-2-629 38 16
 Universite Libre de Bruxelles
 Faculte des Sciences                            
 Service Telematique et Communication	       
 CP 230, Boulevard du triomphe
 B-1050 Bruxelles          	        
 BELGIUM                              

RFC822: [email-masked]
X.400 : C=be;ADMD=rtt;PRMD=iihe;O=helios;S=colin;
X.500 : @c=be@o=Universite Libre de Bruxelles@ou=Faculte des Sciences@ou=Service        Telematique et Communication@cn=Michel Colin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------ End of body part 2