Subject: Some Newbie questions...

From: "Paul S. Nazario" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 16:34:11 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

I'm trying to set up an MBONE feed between our campus and our ISP.  We 
have configured an MBONE tunnel which terminates at one of our campus 
Cisco routers.  

I'm having problems getting to the next step.  I have downloaded and 
installed Solaris_mc35+.2.5 package on my Sun IPX running Solaris 2.5.

I ran the install.multi package from this distribution and it created the 
files in /usr/multicast.  I have a lot of questions which I'm hoping some 
of you can answer:

1) Do very many of you use routers as the endpoint of your tunnels?  The 
FAQs seem to discuss using Unix systems almost exclusively.

2) Since my Unix system is just and end node and will not be routing, I 
don't need to run mrouted, right?

3) When I run SD (ver 1.14, 1.19) I don't see any items show up?  What 
are some of the possible reasons or ways to explore why this isn't working.

If you need to see my Tunnel definition, or other information please let 
me know.

Thanks, 
Paul

//----------------------------------------------------------\\
|  Paul Nazario                      [email-masked]   |
|  University of Wisconsin             phone: 608-262-2595   |
|  Division of Information Technology    fax: 608-265-6453   |
|  Network Engineering Technology                            |
\\----------------------------------------------------------//

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 17:05:28 PST

In message <[email-masked]> you
>don't need to run mrouted, right?

Right.

>are some of the possible reasons or ways to explore why this isn't working.

If your host is multihomed, make sure that you have a route for net 224
pointing to a subnet with a multicast router attached to it.

On your multicast router, make sure that it knows about your host's
group membership, and that its tunnel is considered to be up.
Use "snoop" or some other network monitoring tool to see if the router
is sending out IGMP queries and if your host is responding to them.

  Bill

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 10:53:15 -0500 (EST)

> >are some of the possible reasons or ways to explore why this isn't working.
[...]
> is sending out IGMP queries and if your host is responding to them.

If his host is guernsey.macc.wisc.edu, then the situation is even easier,
since the DR (144.92.128.126) is a cisco router supporting SNMP.
So if you have mstat, you can just do "mstat -nl 144.92.128.126" after 
starting sd and see if there's a line for group 224.2.127.255 (or 
224.2.127.254 for sdr), which will show guernsey as the member if its the
only one running sd(r).  For older versions of mstat, the equivalent
option is -ng instead of -nl.

Dave Thaler