Subject: sdr-monitor effort

From: [email-masked] (Kevin C. Almeroth)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 06:22:06 -0700 (PDT)

This is a second message to solicit help in getting the sdr-monitor
effort underway.

   As of this morning we have 7 people using the sdr-monitor sdr.tcl
addendum.  At this point, everyone but [email-masked] is
seeing most of the sessions (that's understandable considering their
current multicast problems).  You can see a "work-in-progress" version
of the WWW page at http://imj.ucsb.edu/sdr-monitor/

   In any case, I want to solicit additional sdr-monitor participants.  
It takes about 30 seconds to append the sdr-monitor code to the end of 
your sdr.tcl code.  I've included the original announcement below.

-Kevin

------------------------------------------------------------------------

   My group here at UCSB is starting an effort to track, manage, and 
present information about the availability of world-wide sdr sessions.  

   The basic idea is that if a number of people in topologically and
geographically diverse places around the world send me email with their
sdr cache entries I can put together a WWW page that says what sdr
entries are being seen by what parts of the world.

   This type of service will provide all sorts of useful functionality.
For example, if someone is trying to advertise a session they can check
the "sdr-monitor" WWW page to see what percentage of sdr-monitor sites
around the world see their session.  Also, we can begin to track the
duration, type, origination of multicast sessions and their addresses...
something I've been trying to do through mlisten.

THE WAY IT WORKS:
-----------------

   One of my students, Kamil Sarac, has written a short sdr.tcl addendum
that sends a special email address your cache entry every hour.  AS
lONG AS SDR IS RUNNING, you will send your cache once an hour to the
sdr-monitor address.  These emails will be processed and used to create
a WWW page with all sorts of interesting information.

   If you are one of those people who frequently leaves sdr running for
a long period of time, you would be an ideal candidate.

HOW TO GET INVOLVED:
--------------------

   We have a few concerns and that is driving how we handle this project.
First, we don't want to implode our email server so we are only giving
out the code on an as-requested basis.  Second, we wanted it to be simple.
Doing a short sdr.tcl script seemed good though it obviously does not give
us very much RPC-style control.  In a certain sense, this is a good thing.
Third, if we gets lots of responses, not everyone will be asked to 
participate.  We are hoping for around 100 people which means 100 email
messages an hour and 2400 a day.  That won't be too much of a load.  
Fourth, we are trying to chose a geographically disperse group of 
sdr-monitors, so geographical information will be important.

   One final requirement, we assume you are working in some sort of UNIX
environment and have access to a "mail" program.

   So, if you are interested, respond to this email message and let me
know.  PLEASE INCLUDE THE LAST LINE OF YOUR POSTAL ADDRESS SO THAT WE CAN
DETERMINE GEOGRAPHICALLY WHERE YOU WILL BE RUNNING THIS SDR-MONITOR.

-Kevin Almeroth and Kamil Sarac

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:31:29 -0400

>your sdr.tcl code.  I've included the original announcement below.

Does it just report global scope public sessions?  We have three local
admin scope regions in use here, and I'm not certain I want all of the
announcements (like "job interview with Joe Bloggs", etc) posted
publically.  Also what does it do with encrypted sessions and
SIP-invited sessions?  It would be bad if it sent decrypted session
descriptions or SIP sessions that include encryption keys for the
media.

Cheers,
	Mark