Subject: Re: duplication of multicast packets FDDI -> 10Base-T

From: Yves Lepage <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 19:54:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Marc,

I'd like to theorize that having IP forwarding enabled on this machine 
is the source of all your problems. It is not required in order
to forward multicast packets.

What I presume is happening is that the IP forwarding feature forwards
a packet onto the ethernets, and then mrouted forwards the same packet.

Since mrouted doesn't care about unicast packets, the problems only affects
multicast ones.

Solution: try disabling IP forwarding.

I hope this helps,
Yves Lepage

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 10:59:32 PDT

Yves Lepage <[email-masked]> wrote:
>is the source of all your problems.

I find that extremely unlikely.  The unicast forwarding mechanism
doesn't get multicast packets (and wouldn't ever fan packets out
anyway).

My off-the-top-of-my-head guess about those symptoms was that someone
put a bridge between the two ethernets and didn't tell you.  However,
if this were the case you would see a loop when the source was on
one ethernet and there was a member on the other.

Have you tried asking Sun for help?

  Bill