Subject: RE: Mbone list

From: "Jung, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 13:40:46 -0500

Here are the directions for removing youself from the list.....

--mikej
Michael Jung
[email-masked]

Welcome to the mbone mailing list!

If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list,
send the following command in email to
"[email-masked]":

    unsubscribe

Or you can send mail to "[email-masked]" with the following
command
in the body of your email message:

    unsubscribe mbone [email-masked]

Here's the general information for the list you've
subscribed to, in case you don't already have it:

This is an automated reply, but please read because there will be no
other reply -- you must resubmit your request to another address as
explained below.

The mbone list is primarily intended for people who operate multicast
router nodes on the MBONE, the Multicast Backbone.  It is used to
announce new releases of multicast kernel and mrouted software, to
discuss problems observed with that software, and to coordinate
changes in the topology of the MBONE.  If are an end user of
application programs on the MBONE but you don't operate a multicast
router node, the rem-conf list may be more appropriate for you (send a
message to [email-masked] to join.)  Schedules for events on
the MBONE and new releases of application programs are announced there
in addition to general discussion of remote conferencing issues.

The mbone list is structured as a hierarchy of sublists:

    top level ([email-masked])
    regional sublists (e.g., Europe, North America)
    country sublists (e.g., Australia, Japan)
    institutional sublists (e.g., schools, network providers)

It is important that you join the sublist at the lowest level that is
available to you, not only for efficient delivery but also so that you
will receive mail of local interest that is sent directly to a sublist
rather than the top-level list.

If you want to subscribe to or unsubscribe from the mbone list, please
send your request to the appropriate "-request" list for your
institution, country or region.  It is not practical to list all the
institutional sublists here, but please check with your local
administrator first.  If there is no local list, send your request to
the appropriate country sublist if there is one:

    Australia:	 [email-masked]
    Austria:	 [email-masked]
    Brazil:      [email-masked]
    Canada:	 [email-masked]
    Denmark:	 [email-masked]
    France:	 [email-masked]
    Germany:	 [email-masked]
    Italy:	 [email-masked]
    Japan:	 [email-masked]
    Korea:	 [email-masked]
    Netherlands: [email-masked]
    New Zealand: [email-masked]
    Singapore:	 [email-masked]
    S. Africa:	 [email-masked]
    Taiwan:	 [email-masked]
    UK:		 [email-masked]

If your country is not listed, send your request to the appropriate
regional sublist:

    Europe:	 [email-masked]
    N. America:	 [email-masked]
    other:	 [email-masked]

Your request may be forwarded again to a lower-level list known by the
administrator but not listed here.  After sending a request, please be
patient because sometimes it takes a few days before the list manager
can process the request.  In any case, do NOT send your message to the
[email-masked] list itself.

FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO UNSUBSCRIBE: Even if you subscribed some time
ago by sending a request to the top level list mbone-request, you
would have been added to one of the sublists.  You might be on a
regional list even if there is a list for your country if that list
was formed after you joined.  Please take a look at the "Received:"
lines in the header of a message you received from the mbone list to
see which of the mailing list hosts are in the path from the source to
your host.  Also note that some messages are sent to both the rem-conf
and mbone lists, so if the message went through es.net you may have
received it from the rem-conf list rather than the mbone list.

In particular, if you think you may be on the mbone-na list, you may
verify this by sending a message to [email-masked] with the
contents

	who mbone-na

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE MBONE, the FAQ (answers
to Frequently Asked Questions) may be obtained by anonymous FTP from
ftp.isi.edu, directory mbone, file faq.txt, or as a URL for WWW:

    ftp://ftp.isi.edu/mbone/faq.txt

A variation of the FAQ in HTML form is available from:

    http://www.research.att.com/mbone-faq.html

A new quick-and-dirty guide that has more information on hardware
and software platforms is:

    ftp://genome-ftp.stanford.edu/pub/mbone/mbone-connect

A good introductory article containing general information about the
MBONE and how it has been used is:

    ftp://taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil/pub/mbmg/mbone.html

Two useful top-level listings of resources including the above and
others are:

    http://www.eit.com/techinfo/mbone/mbone.html
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/mbone/

[end]

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	[email-masked]
>[SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Monday, February 10, 1997 1:22 PM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Mbone list
>
>Ok, I hate to have to do this, but I cannot get a response from
>whoever manages this list. 
>
>WHOEVER MANAGES THIS LIST!
>
>PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM THIS LIST!
>
>And for those of you who are thinking, dolt, remove yourself, I
>can't. My hostname changed and it won't allow me to remove my old
>address without confirmation. That was, oh, about a month ago it was
>forwarded for approval. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.
>
>
>Blake Riekena
>Systems Administrator
>College of Business & Public Policy
>University of Alaska - Anchorage