Subject: Re: SNMP management tools

From: Matt Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 1996 09:25:38 -0500

Mr. Hasty says:
> >From The Desk Of "Jeff Young" :
> > we don't allow non-customers to snmp poll our routers either (for
> > various reasons).
> 
> Gosh,
>  How are we supposed to monitor the Mbone?
> 	Amancio

Gosh.  How are *you* supposed to monitor the unicast backbone?

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 1996 15:37:46 +0100

>Gosh.  How are *you* supposed to monitor the unicast backbone?

traceroute and ping reveal a lot about unicast routes and network
conditions

for multicast, it is a lot harder (though not impossible as mtrace and
rtp quality monitoring tools show), and generally requires a more
distributed effort at coordinating gathering stats...

but as a matter of policy, it'd be in the interests of an ISP to
cooperate with cooperative users, surely? especially with newer
services where we all have to learn a lot yet.....

 jon