Subject: linux multicast, internal routing problems?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 21:12:05 -0300 (ADT)

I left my linux (2.0.30) mrouted connected at a rate_limited connection of
16kbps, for about 2 hours, and measured at least 1.2mb of data coming in
with trafshow.

my routes:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
198.164.125.54  *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0       15 eth0
loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        5 lo
224.0.0.0       *               240.0.0.0       U     0      0       13 eth0
default         198.164.125.54  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0       17 ppp0

==

The windows hosts on the home lan (192.168) never got a session
advertisement in sdr from the [mbone], however I could announce between
the win95 hosts themselves.   I did not have sdr for linux to try and see
if any sessions were coming into the host (with mrouted) itself, but I
willl down load that tonight.   (does anyone here have a text based "sdr"
tool for linux/unix, that I could build and use, as it tears me to move
monitors around, and start x on the 486; this would let me see session
advertisments without the gui in unix).

I will keep trying this, and once (if ever) complete, document what was
involved with the whole "ordeal".

dwight s.
==
dwight spencer					phone:  506 444 5389
internet services manager			fax:    506 444 4232
[email-masked]

TeleEducation NB, 500 Beaverbrook Court,
Fredericton, NB, Canada, E3B 5H1