Subject: mrouted swamping machine

From: Dave Pascoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 09:15:06 -0500 (EST)

mrouted 3.8 on SunOS 4.1.3

ip_mrouted socket queue full error messages all
over the place...

Is someone injecting unicast routes again?

--
Dave Pascoe    [email-masked]   http://www.mathworks.com
KM3T           508-647-7362         FAX: 508-647-7002

---

From: "David M. Meyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 07:37:36 -0800 (PST)

Dave,

	I'm not seeing an outrageous number of routes: 
	
	eugene-isp.nero.net#sh ip dvmrp route
	DVMRP Routing Table - 4427 entries

	Dave

---

From: Kim Culhan <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jan 1997 19:25:53 -0500

> Is someone injecting unicast routes again?

The data rate with no sessions requested is ~400 Kbps, what is a method
to determine the cause ?

kim

--
[email-masked]

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 06:02:37 +0200 (EET)

> The data rate with no sessions requested is ~400 Kbps, what is a method
Since mrouted has not magically changed into something that would
retransmit prunes, all you need to get into this is to lose some
percentage of your packets over a two hour period. Then all data for a
session is flooded to you for the coming two hours.

Pete

---

From: Dave Pascoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 12:17:36 -0500 (EST)

> The data rate with no sessions requested is ~400 Kbps, what is a method

By "no sessions" I assume you mean "no receivers".  I notice this here as
well.  I haven't taken a close look yet as to why this is.  But I do
remember that it became this way a few months ago.  I'm not sure if it was
coincident with us upgrading to mrouted3.8 or not.  So I guess I can't
really correlate it to anything at this point.