Subject: what's an invalid origin

From: "Sean Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 14:08:17 -0500

Hello all.  I hope you can help me with my problem.  I'm pretty new
to multicast routing and the MBONE.  Here is my config

info.arnold.af.mil (SGI Indy) is the endpoint of a tunnel from CEWES.
Here is the 2 line mrouted.conf:
pruning on
tunnel 132.45.120.12 138.18.8.224 metric 1 threshold 32 rate_limit 500
This machine runs mrouted v 3.8 and IRIX 5.3.  It is outside our firewall.

On our proxy firewall I start up
mrouted with a blank mrouted.conf.  The firewall is an SGI Challenge S
with 2 ethernet cards.  One is on the 132.45.120.0 network and the
other is on 134.137.0.0.  This machine runs mrouted v 2.0 and IRIX 5.2.

Here is some output from /usr/etc/mrouted -d 1

debug level 1
mrouted version 2.0
warning - 132.45.120.12 reports a conflicting origin (129.46.48.189) and mask
(ffffffff)
warning - 132.45.120.12 reports an invalid origin (192.58.48.0) and/or mask
(fffff000)
warning - 132.45.120.12 reports an invalid origin (0.0.0.0) and/or mask
(ff000000)
warning - 132.45.120.12 reports a conflicting origin (10.0.0.0) and mask
(ff000000)
warning - 132.45.120.12 reports a conflicting origin (129.127.0.0) and mask
(ffff0000)
warning - 132.45.120.12 reports a conflicting origin (133.246.0.0) and mask
(ffff0000)
warning - 132.45.120.12 reports a conflicting origin (137.39.0.0) and mask
(ffff0000)

I start getting these messages immediately, and so I shut mrouted down.
Can anybody explain to me what this means and how to fix it?  Or is it
okay?

Also, just to make it clearer to me.  Do I need to configure a local
client on the 134.137.0.0 network to use the firewall machine as a router?

Thanks.

---

From: Richard Underwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 96 10:14:20 BST

At 22:31 02/07/96 +0300, you wrote:
>Sean Fuller writes:
>k
>Your mrouted is of version 2.0 which is obsolete. You need version 3.8
>
        Version 3.8 (and the 3.5 kernel modules) are on ftp.sgi.com in
/sgi/ipmcast/IRIX5/5.3 - This assumes you're using IRIX 5.2 (which I don't
think you are since 5.3 is supplied with mrouted 2.2 IIRC,) if you are still
running IRIX 5.2 you'll need to upgrade to 5.3 first. (I don't *think*
anything higher than mrouted 2.2 is available for 5.2.)

                Richard