Subject: Re: packet loss between mbone2.UU.Net & SanFrancisco.mci.net

From: "Jeffrey S. Curtis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:25:59 -0600

I wrote:
}I'm not Dorian, but for over a year, I've been running sparse-mode
}PIM across my site (and across a T1 to a remote site) with a DMVRP
}tunnel to an mrouted machine.  It all works fine now; [...]

I spoke too soon.  I got to spend half of today pulling out hair
over what turned out to be a tricky 11.0(13) bug.  cisco times
out (S,G) state after three minutes and this bug apparently causes
the "first" packet from a "new" S to any particular G to not be
forwarded from a PIM cloud to a DVMRP neighbor.

So, if you take an application like sdr (which sends single-packet
updates about once every eight minutes) and create one session from
your site, you'll find that nobody outside of your PIM cloud can see
your session announcement (though if they manually join the data
groups, they'll get those, since those (S,G) entries don't time out
and contain far more data than one packet per several minutes).

The usual suspects at cisco were kind enough to work with me to hack up
a workaround for this problem since it was fixed in 11.1 and beyond but
not 11.0 (thanks again, guys - you know who you are).  Unfortunately,
this takes me right back to wondering what on earth the "G" in "GD" is
supposed to stand for...  oh well.  :-(

Jeff
-- 
Jeffrey S. Curtis                      | Internetwork Manager
Argonne National Laboratory            | Email: [email-masked]
9700 South Cass Avenue, ECT-221        | Voice: 630/252-1789
Argonne, IL 60439                      | Fax:   630/252-9689

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:23:52 +0200 (EET)

> supposed to stand for...  oh well.  :-(
I've always thought that GD means "going dormant", have I been
mistaken?

Pete