Subject: what's an invalid origin

From: "Sean Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 14:08:17 -0500

Hello all.  I hope you can help me with my problem.  I'm pretty new
to multicast routing and the MBONE.  Here is my config

info.arnold.af.mil (SGI Indy) is the endpoint of a tunnel from CEWES.
Here is the 2 line mrouted.conf:
pruning on
tunnel 132.45.120.12 138.18.8.224 metric 1 threshold 32 rate_limit 500
This machine runs mrouted v 3.8 and IRIX 5.3.  It is outside our firewall.

On our proxy firewall I start up
mrouted with a blank mrouted.conf.  The firewall is an SGI Challenge S
with 2 ethernet cards.  One is on the 132.45.120.0 network and the
other is on 134.137.0.0.  This machine runs mrouted v 2.0 and IRIX 5.2.

Here is some output from /usr/etc/mrouted -d 1

debug level 1
mrouted version 2.0
warning - 132.45.120.12 reports a conflicting origin (129.46.48.189) and mask
(ffffffff)
warning - 132.45.120.12 reports an invalid origin (192.58.48.0) and/or mask
(fffff000)
warning - 132.45.120.12 reports an invalid origin (0.0.0.0) and/or mask
(ff000000)
warning - 132.45.120.12 reports a conflicting origin (10.0.0.0) and mask
(ff000000)
warning - 132.45.120.12 reports a conflicting origin (129.127.0.0) and mask
(ffff0000)
warning - 132.45.120.12 reports a conflicting origin (133.246.0.0) and mask
(ffff0000)
warning - 132.45.120.12 reports a conflicting origin (137.39.0.0) and mask
(ffff0000)

I start getting these messages immediately, and so I shut mrouted down.
Can anybody explain to me what this means and how to fix it?  Or is it
okay?

Also, just to make it clearer to me.  Do I need to configure a local
client on the 134.137.0.0 network to use the firewall machine as a router?

Thanks.

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 96 20:21:54 +0100

>Here is some output from /usr/etc/mrouted -d 1

mrouted version 2.0 is obsolete - you should be running mrouted 3.8.
Early mrouted's can't cope with agregated routes, and (worse) don't
prune so you're wasting your own bandwidth with sessions you don't
want to receive.

Mark

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 22:31:30 +0300 (EET DST)

> warning - 132.45.120.12 reports a conflicting origin (129.46.48.189) and mask
k
Your mrouted is of version 2.0 which is obsolete. You need version 3.8

Pete

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 22:31:30 +0300 (EET DST)

k

Pete

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 96 20:21:54 +0100

Mark