Subject: sdr on HP-UX 10.20

From: Stacey Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 17:13:27 -0700

Hi,

I have ported sdr v2.4 to HP-UX 10.20.  I run sdr and could not see
any session being scheduled, however I do know that there are a couple
of sessions going on.  ( I run older version of sdr and vic
successfully already. )

I invoked vic 2.7: vic 224.2.195.166/30270/127 and was able to receive
video stream, therefore I modified sdr.h file and changed 
SD_GROUP to "224.2.195.166" and SD_PORT to "30270" and 
I compiled sdr with DEBUG turned on and I got the msg below:
----
hpntcc6 243: sdr -d1 3 -log 7
Binding socket 5 to address/port 224.2.195.166/30270
Connecting socket 6 to address/port 224.2.195.166/30270
Binding socket 7 to address/port 239.255.255.255/9875
Binding socket 8 to address/port 224.2.127.254/9875
-----

I found out that it is binding socket to different sockets and 
address/port. I changed sdr.h to make "224.2.127.254/9875" go away
already, I checked all the *.c and *.h files and found no file
but sdr.h has "224.2.127.254/9875". 

BTW, is it the right that I modified sdr.h as described above to 
make sdr listens to some address/port?

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-stacey

-- 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Stacey Lee                      phone:   (408) 447-2433
Hewlett-Packard Company         fax:     (408) 447 3660
System Network Solution Lab     email:   [email-masked]
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 09:26:48 -0400

>make sdr listens to some address/port?

It sounds like you are confusing the multicast address and port for a
media stream with the address and port for session announcements.  You
should never need to change the SD_GROUP address/port in sdr.h - this
is the registered address for global session announcements.  

Sdr should receive announcements on this address which in turn give
the addresses and ports for the media streams of the individual
sessions.

The only additional addresses sdr might need to know are for
additional *announcement* groups in admin scope zones, and these can
be added in ~/.sdr/sdr.tcl, but this doesn't seem to be your problem.
It sounds like your problem is a sockets problem on HPUX (or at least
an incompatibility with earlier versions of HPUX).  

Unfortunately I have no HPUX system available to test on, so I can't
really help diagnose the problem further, but I do seem to remember
someone reporting problems with multicast on HPUX 10.?? some time ago.
If vic is working, clearly this isn't a terminal problem though.
Maybe HPUX just got more fussy about the order that binds and
setsockopts must take place in to join a multicast group?  If you find
a solution, please let me know and I'll include it in the sdr source.

Cheers,
	Mark

---

From: "Piers O'Hanlon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 12:04:40 +0100

Hi,

From your first message Wed, 01 Oct 1997 you seemed to indicate a problem in 
receiving multicast packets on the 10.20 machine (as opposed to the 9.05 
machine):
"I saw vic main window popped up with "Waiting for video..." msg shown,
however I have never seen the thumbnail size image. I do know that
ANL TelePresence Microscopy Collaboratory
(224.2.180.115/49918/127) is sending video streams and I verified this
with vic v2.7b2 on HP-UX 9.05 machine."

However in your message of Mon, 06 Oct 1997 you seemed to say:
"I run older version of sdr and vic successfully already." [on 9.05 or 10.20?]

So I was wondering if you'd applied the following patch to your 10.20 system 
as it cures rather an annoying problem that 10.20 had: When you bound to a 
specific address you wouldn't receive any multicast traffic - you had to use 
INADDR_ANY to receive packets which isn't convenient when there is more than 
one session on the same port. I did modify vic and vat to work in the old 
environment (http://www.avc.ucl.ac.uk/hp/software/) but now there's the patch 
so you might as well try that.

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:52:14 -0600
To: [email-masked]
Subject: HP-UX 10.20 finally fixed
From: "Jeffrey S. Curtis" <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk

HP finally released a patch yesterday to fix the IP Multicast bug in
HP-UX 10.20.  The patch number is PHNE_9106.  I have installed and
tested it and no longer have any problems running any of the standard
Mbone tools.

Jeff
- -- 
Jeffrey S. Curtis                      | Internetwork Manager
Argonne National Laboratory            | Email: [email-masked]
9700 South Cass Avenue, ECT-221        | Voice: 630/252-1789
Argonne, IL 60439                      | Fax:   630/252-9689

------- End of Forwarded Message

Piers O'Hanlon
______________

MultiMedia Support and Comms Centre
University College London.