Subject: Re: MBONE on ATm (fwd)

From: Work Work Work <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 17:10:24 +0800 (SGT)

Hello,

I have send a request yesterday but I did not make myself clear enough.
So I am providing more details in this mail.

I have a SPARC10 (A) that is connected to a FORE ATM switch. It is also
connected to a local LAN using 10BaseT.  Another SPARC5 is connected to
the FORE ATM switch.  Another SPARC10 (B) residing in another subnet 
has a mbone tunnel to the SPARC10-A.

If I specify the MBONE tunnel from A to B using the ATM interface IP
address, mrinfo indicates that the tunnel is down with the SPARC10-B.

However, even the SPARC5 which is on the same ATM subnet as the
SPARC10-A, cannot receive the video and audio broadcast.

Our current setup is

Sparc10-A <--------------> Foreswitch <-------------->Sparc5 
Mbone source                                        Mbone client
     ^        PVC                         PVC
	 |
	 | Mbone tunnel
	 |
	 V
Sparc10-B 
Mbone client
 
We are using classical IP and not Fore IP. Therefore, PVC is used(since 
there is no other way). The multicast is not enabled on the ATM interface 
cause that is for ForeIP configuration.

The PVC connection is ok as we can ping from point to point.

The question is can multicast be carried out in such configuration?
Currently, both the Sparc5 and the Sparc10-B cannot receive the video
and audio feed from Spatc10-A

Thank you.

Regards,

Kwong-Yeong Tung
Computer Centre
National University of Singapore

---

From: dave pratt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 10:54:56 +0100 (BST)

Dear Work

We have Mcast running between Cisco routers over ATM, but not yet to the
workstation. This may or may not be possible, but it didn't work first try.

There are quite a number of different ways of connecting a workstation using
IP over ATM including: map-entries, Classical IP, LANE, over either SVC's
or PVC's.

Some of these will give better mcast performance, but none will work really
well as the standards have yet to be developed/tweaked (mostly in the ATMF and
IETF).

Basically systems work now by pretending the mcast streams are broadcasts
which isn't terribly efficient.

Cheers
--------
They used to call it "Corruption" - but now it's "The Old Boys network"
WWW - doesn't that stand for "Wait a Week Word" ?
Dave Pratt      (tel: +44 1473 643840 )
[email-masked]

---

From: Koji OKAMURA <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 18:47:23 +0900

Hi,

We success multicast communication on IP over ATM networks.

> has a mbone tunnel to the SPARC10-A.

I want know the routing table of SS-10 and SS-5.
ATM Card can not deal with Class-D paccket, as you know, route to
224/8 shuoud be set to le0 (ethernet).

> address, mrinfo indicates that the tunnel is down with the SPARC10-B.

You can make tunnel between A and B, if you disable ATM interface in
/etc/mrouted.conf.  (maybe)
For example,
phyint XX.XX.XX.XX disable 
XX.XX.XX.XX is the IP address of ATM interface.

--
Koji

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 11:02:37 +0100

>The PVC connection is ok as we can ping from point to point.

you might have to run an mrouted on the client machine and configure
it with a tunnel over the PVC _ we did this with narrow band IP ocver
ISDN when the IP to ISDN driver didn't sup[port multicast, and it
worked fine...

 >and audio feed from Spatc10-A

or else wait for UNI 4 compliance:-)
 jon

---

From: [email-masked] (Rajesh Talpade)
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 10:34:34 -0400 (EDT)

> and audio feed from Spatc10-A

We have a similar setup in our testbed, and can use the Multicast
Address Resolution Server protocol for classical IP multicasting.
We do not use Fore IPs or PVCs. Look at 
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/computing/Telecomm/playground/MCS/
under "Related documents" for more info.

Regards,
Rajesh.

-- 
Rajesh R. Talpade		(404)-315-1227 	     [email-masked]
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/computing/Telecomm/people/Phd/taddy