Subject: troubles building Linux vic 2.8

From: Dave Kristol <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 16:55:28 -0400

I've got RedHat Linux 5.0, and I'm trying to build vic 2.8.  I've had
four problems.  The last one has me stumped.

1) config.h:86
	Needed to add !defined(__linux__)
	gethostid() is defined in the system headers.

2) inet.h:97
	Needed to remove defined(__linux__)
	struct msghdr is defined in the system headers.

3) I got the following error during make:
	./ppmtolut -n cube rgb-cube.ppm >> cm0.c
	ppmtolut: bad ppm header

The problem is that rgb-cube.ppm (produced by an earlier step, "./mkcube
rgb > rgb-cube.ppm") is an empty file.

On investigation, I discovered bizarre behavior.
	a) If I didn't redirect mkcube to a file, I saw its output.  Likewise
if I redirected to /dev/tty.  Otherwise (such as when piping), the
output disappeared.  After much head-scratching, I concluded the problem
had to do with buffer flushing.
	b) If I inserted an "fclose(stdout)" before the final return in
mkcube.cc, the program did output redirection correctly (confirming my
supposition in (a)).
	c) If I removed the "-static" in the build line for mkcube, the program
also ran okay with redirection.

I guess there's a bug in the gcc libraries (gcc 2.7.2.3) such that exit
doesn't flush the stdio buffers, but that would really surprise me!  I
couldn't reproduce the malady on a simple "hello, world" program.

4) I'm compiling vic on a system that has no video capture hardware.  (I
just want to *view* video right now.)  Make ultimately fails with the
error:
make: *** No rule to make target `grabber-scc.o', needed by `vic'. 
Stop.

And, indeed, there's no grabber-scc.c.

Where do I go from here?
Dave Kristol

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:20:11 PDT

>And, indeed, there's no grabber-scc.c.

This is a bug in vic's configure script.  Just remove any mention of
grabber-scc from the Makefile that configure generated.

  Bill