Subject: Need help with Mrouted on Linux 2.0.0

From: "Luc Levesque" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 21:49:50 -0500

Hello,

    I have a Linux 2.0.0 PC which I am trying to use as an mrouted router. I
have checked all the possible settings and everything seems fine, yet I
still cant seem to route mbone packets to my Windows 95 Station running SDR.
Here is the configuration:

    Mbone
------                         ---------------
<--------------------> |  Linux 2.0.0     | <--------------> |  Win 95    |
                    eth1   |  mrouted 3.81 | eth0               |   Sdr
|
                                --------------------                        
  ---------------

Here are some facts about the Linux box.
- Running Protocols IGMP, TCP, UDP, ICMP, IPIP
- IP Multicast Router Kernel 0.05 Installed.
- Mrouted 3.81 successfully running.
- mrinfo shows the tunnel as being up.

Here are some facts about the Windows 95 Station.
- SDR has been tested successfully on a seperate network with an mbone feed.

I have setup an mbone tunnel successfully on another network using the same
tools yet the station with mrouted only had 1 ethernet card, hence no
routing was being done through 2 interfaces in the mrouted box.

In this configuration, the one issue which I am not 100% on is the routing
on the linux box. I have 2 Ethernet cards. The tunnel is coming into eth1
but I have no idea what needs to be done to get the mbone traffic to be
routed over to the eth0 side. What needs to be done in the routing tables if
anything?

Also, which interface must the 224.0.0.0 network be routing to?
( ie: route add 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth0

or eth1? )

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you!
Luc Levesque
[email-masked]