Subject: RealAudio on MBONE

From: RealAudio MBONE <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 14:56:06 -0800

Progressive Networks is now testing RealAudio broadcasts on the MBONE. We'd
like you to give it a try and let us know if it works.

http://www.realaudio.com/products/mbone

You'll need RealAudio Player 3.0, available in 2 Windows, 2 Mac, DEC NT,
and several Unix flavors, at:

http://www.realaudio.com/products/player

Please let us know if you can receive SDR or VAT but you can't receive the
RealAudio.

Thanks!

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 20:09:49 -0800 (PST)

>http://www.realaudio.com/products/mbone

I tried this, and it works.  However, I noticed that the "RealAudio Player"
- unlike the traditional MBone tools - doesn't take the multicast address &
port as arguments.  Instead, it communicates (unicast) with a server,
205.219.198.102, presumably getting the group address/port from there.  (Not
a particularly scalable mechanism...)

Is there a way to launch the RealAudio Player with explicit group
address/port arguments?  (You'd need this to be able to launch the any MBone
RealAudio sessions advertised in the SDP session directory.)

        Ross.

ps. When will we be seeing a RTP profile for "RealAudio"?

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 18:58:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi - a quick question:

I was playing around once again with your experimental RealAudio MBone
sessions, and was trying to figure out how to play these sessions by
launching "raplayer" directly, rather than through your WWW page.

I tried running
        raplayer pnm://205.219.198.102:6666/pnm://localhost/kingfm28MI.ra

but I got "RealAudio Error 14".  (This is on Windows 95.)  I also got the
same error when I tried running raplayer with a local filename as argument
(with the file containing the same pnm://... URL).

So, what am I doing wrong?  (Probably just a simple syntax mistake.)

        Ross.

ps. I never heard back from you about whether there was a way to launch the
RealAudio Player with explicit group address/port arguments; I assume this
isn't possible?