Subject: mbone question

From: zhong chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 16:27:43 -0800 (PST)

I am a member of Portland State University's Secure Mobile Network group.
Currently we are talking about supporting multicast in Mobile IP. We
implemented mobility agent functions under FreeBSD. Mobility agents will
act as routers for mobile hosts. The problem is that, all our routers
speak PIM, but the FreeBSD mrouted speaks DVMRP, so they can not
interoperate. I am not sure if there is any possible solution to this
problem?

Thanks a lot!

***********************************************
Zhong CHEN

Dept. of Computer Science
Portland State University
P.O.Box 751
Portland, OR 97207

Tel: (503)725,4138(O)
http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~zchen/
***********************************************

---

From: Beau Williamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 11:36:43 -0600

Zhong,

If you are using Cisco routers, they can be configured to interoperate with
a DVMRP cloud.  I would recommend using a tunnel interface between the
Cisco PIM cloud and a DVMRP cloud.  Direct ethernet connects will work but
there are some special cases that you need to take into account.

Check out the "Beginner's Guide to connecting to the MBone" Networkers97
presentation at
"ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/ipmulticast/networkers97/index.html".  This
presentation goes into the details of interfacing PIM and DVMRP clouds and
what the interactions are between the two.

Beau Williamson