Subject: Re: packet loss between mbone2.UU.Net & SanFrancisco.mci.net

From: Dave Hayes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 20:42:46 -0800

Van Jacobson writes:
> since every college in the country seems to think it's very cool to
> broadcast their local radio station on the mbone.  Today I count
> at least 3 of them active -- CMU, University of Missouri-Kansas
> City & University of Missouri-Columbia.  At a time when there's
> new, original, content starting to appear on the mbone, it's a
> shame to have the bandwidth taken away by yet another low
> quality rendition of CDs anyone can buy at the corner store.  

On the contrary, there are many good CDs one -cannot- get at the
corner store. An excellent example is the CD one of my friends just
mastered.  Some college radio stations don't employ content control
freaks, meaning you can actually hear a real human's taste in music
instead of some attempt to hit targeted market demographics.

Of course, any low sound quality you perceive is because no one seems
to have bothered to put a working, freely available, CD quality MBONE
audio application out there where I can find it.

> Oh well, perhaps one day the parties involved will realize they're
> not actually demonstrating a very high level of coolness.

What standard of coolness is it that stops music from playing? 
------
Dave Hayes - Altadena CA, USA - [email-masked] 
Freedom Knight of Usenet - http://www.jetcafe.org/~dave/usenet

The only tyrant I accept in this world is the still voice within.  - Gandhi

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 12:46:02 +0200 (EET)

> What standard of coolness is it that stops music from playing? 

That is the standard of averageness. If you deviate from being average
person, by either your race, color, music likes, food likes, art
likes, opinions or anything else, you SHOULD NOT transmit on the
MBone.

;-)

Pete