Subject: MPEG for VIC

From: Chris Robson ATDNet Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 07:01:52 -0400 (EDT)

Far from an expert but tasked to look into it I ask....
With all the encoding/decoding schemes vic offers, why not MPEG?  We have 
people here who are die hard mpeg people hating anything else?  What 
reasons are there which warrant no mpeg on vic, besides the fact no one 
as done it yet.

tks....chris

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 18:15:28 +0200 (MET DST)

Some reasons for not having MPEG right now:

1. VIC is a video-conferencing application. MPEG is not well suited for that.
2. Encoding MPEG is very time consuming unless you have special hardware.
   Unless you have a SunVideo card i don't know any alternatives for MPEG
   hardware compression at reasonable prices that come with a Unix API.
3. MPEG is also not well suited for transmission over lossy networks unless
   yuou are doing enough forward error correction or similar techniques.

Best regards
	Toerless

---

From: Mike OBradY <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 19:16:32 +0000 (GMT)

We have developed an MPEG multicast software to deliver TV/Video to 
Desktops. We will have announcement soon on our web page. Cant release it 
yet...