Subject: Re: IP mcast per-source pruning

From: "Matthew G. Harrigan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 11:15:00 -0700

>Per-source joining and leaving is not yet supported in IGMP
>(versions 1 and 2).  Version 3 of IGMP has support for specifying an
>explicit set of sources within a group as well as pruning specific
>sources within a group.

Is anyone developing apps with IGMP v3 in mind yet (with filtereque
features), or are all applications being developed specifically  <= v2? 

-Matt

Matthew G. Harrigan		cisco Systems
Internet Systems Engineer	[email-masked]
				408-527-3852 (x63582)

---

From: Ajit Thyagarajan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:47:44 +0000

>features), or are all applications being developed specifically  <= v2? 

I am not aware of any as yet.  I think it has been the general
practice for the support to be present in the underlying protocol
before adding it to the tools.  For example, Vat can shut off audio
from a particular user, but this is only at the application level and
traffic from that source still reaches the host.  Once the support is
present in the kernel to prune specific sources, it should be possible
to add a kernel call() to Vat to delete the source as well.  The exact
interface details are still being worked out.

Ajit