Subject: RE: MBONE tools for Windows 95 problem

From: "Julian J. Bunn, Information Technology Division, CERN, Geneva" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 9:55:29 +0100 (CET)

Dave Rubin wrote:

~When using the MBONE tool for Win95 based on Tcl/Tk (e.g., vat, vic) there 
~seems to be a serious bug.
~
~When launching a session with one of these tools, after exiting the program the 
~system is no longer able to receive *any* multicast traffic. A reboot of 
~Windows 95 is required to fix it.
~
~Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Yes ... and what is worse is that it _appears_ as if one cannot
use vic/vat/rat with different multicast groups at the same time.
One starts up e.g. vic, everything works fine, then starting up
vat seems to destroy reception of all multicast traffic. Again,
a reboot is necessary. If the multicast group is the same for
audio and video (e.g. Shuttle) then both audio and video are
received fine.

I asked Van and Isidor about this a while back, but haven't heard
anything.

I suppose a bug in Winsock ?

Julian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Julian J Bunn, CERN Information Technology Division. Tel.: +41 22 767 5029
Email: [email-masked]                        CompuServe: 100327,317
WWW: http://axcn01.cern.ch/jjb/jjb.html                IT/CMS Coordination
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Dave Rubin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:06:46 -0500 (EST)

> I suppose a bug in Winsock ?

Probably ... but it seems as if vat and vic are very good at triggering
this bug. I use other multicast applications without having similar problems.
Maybe vat/vic aren't cleaning up the socket properly (which on UNIX
would not cause a problem, but in Winsock may be fatal)...

--
Dave