Subject: alternative for vat_play_audio for sending AU files?

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Patrick)
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 09:30:00 EDT

For my "CBC Radio News Test" session I have been using a utility
called "vat_play_audio" developed my Anders Klemets in 1993.  This
utility will play an AU audio file into a multicast session, and I
have a little cron routine that records the news on the hour and then
plays the AU file repeatedly throughout the remainder of the hour
until the news is updated.

There are a number of limitations of vat_play_audio, including:

- it uses the older VAT protocol instead of the modern RTPv2 protocol

- it only supports PCM encoding of the AU file where DVI or something
  with lower bandwidth demands may be more appropriate here

Does anyone know of, or is anyone developing, an alternative method
for sending an AU file to a multicast audio session?

-- 
           Andrew Patrick, Ph.D. <[email-masked]>
               Networks Services & Interfaces Laboratory
                     Communications Research Centre
                       http://debra.dgbt.doc.ca/

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 15:14:07 +0100

>for sending an AU file to a multicast audio session?

If you have the RAT audio tool, you can play a raw 8kHz, pcm ulaw, audio
file into a multicast session. From the RAT options panel, use the play
file controls. This will allow you to send using RTPv2, with PCM/DVI/LPC/GSM 
codings, and also redundancy. There are a few rough edges, but it basically
works..... Unfortunately though, this is a manual process, and can't be
automated yet.

Colin