Subject: Release 1.4 alpha of Session Directory for Windows NT / Windows 95

From: Arlie Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 17:54:33 -0400

MBONE Session Directory
		for
	Windows NT and Windows 95
		Version 1.4 alpha

		*** Interim Release ***

This version is being released primary to fix a few problems.  There is
no new functionality in this release.

This is the fourth test release of my MBONE Session Directory tool.  It
was written from scratch, by analyzing the (relatively simple) packet
format.  Later, I found the IETF draft of the Session Description
Protocol, and implemented most of that.  Most of SDP V2 has been
implemented.

Bugs fixed

*	The window position is no longer recorded in the registy, only its
size.  This fixes the problem where SD runs, but positions itself
off-screen.
*	SD no longer requires the command shell interpreter in order to expand
tool command lines.  It now performs this step itself.  This is faster,
and more consistent.  I had initially configured the tool to the CMD.EXE
as the command interpreter, but this is only valid on Windows NT;
Windows 95 users had to do some tinkering with the tools to make things
work right.  In order to fix this problem, you have to go to the Tools
menu and hit "Reset All".  This will rewrite the tool command lines.

Things it can do

*	Receive sessions on both the SDP V1 and SDP V2 group and port.
*	Show detailed information about sessions.
*	Run external programs, especially the ports of LBL's VAT and VIC
programs.
*	Expire old sessions.

Things it cannot (yet) do

*	Originate sessions
*	Cache known sessions to disk

Things currently under development

*	DDE has been killed.  It is replaced by OLE / ActiveX.
*	OLE / ActiveX Automation.  This will allow you to write applications
that can control SD programmatically.
*	Integration with the Windows 95 shell.  This will make SD a container
in the shell's name-space, so that you can browse MBONE sessions like
any other OS object.
*	Support for MAPI.
*	Support for communicating with your installed browser, in order to
automatically look-up the URL associated with a session advertisement.

Known bugs

*	Doesn't get the session lifetimes correct sometimes.  There is some
confusion as to the exact NTP time offset between SDP V1 and SDP V2.

Where to get it

You can always find it at these fine locations:

*	http://archive.thepoint.net/Internet/Interactive%20media/MBONE/SD/Win32

*	ftp://archive.thepoint.net/Archive/Internet/Interactive%20media/MBONE/S
D/Win32

I am currently developing Win32 applications which will allow
transmission and reception of many audio and video formats that are
common on the MBONE.  If you are interested in this, feel free to drop
me a line.  (That said, however, don't write to me if all you are going
to say is, "Me too!".  I know.  Trust me, you'll get a copy when it's
ready.)

If you enjoy using this, great!  If you have suggestions for how to
improve it (beyond just urging me to implement what the UNIX SD does),
let me know.  If you feel like complaining, go write your own version
and complain to yourself.

-- Arlie Davis <[email-masked]>

-- Arlie Davis <[email-masked]>
-- System & Network Administrator, ThePoint Internet Services, Inc.
-- (Mail in Microsoft Exchange "Rich Text" format is preferred.)