Subject: Sun quad card and mrouted

From: Matthew Idema <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:44:28 -0600

I've got a Sun Ultra1 (Solaris 2.5.1) with a quad card and I can't get
the machine to pass mulitcast packets from one interface to another.
Example:

A host on the network that the Ultra's hme0 interface is attached to
sends multicast packets to 224.111.11.1 and the hme0 interface on the
Ultra1 sees them, but the hme1 interface doesn't.

I've got mrouted installed and running but it doesn't seem to help.  Any
suggestions?

Matt Idema
[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:24:01 PST

>Is there a way to configure the 224.0.0.0 destination for both hme0 and
>hme1?

No.  The route in the unicast routing table for a multicast group
specifies the default interface to use for multicast if the application
doesn't specify one.  You can't have more than one of these, since
applications can't source packets on multiple interfaces at once.  To
which interface this route points is meaningless from mrouted's point
of view.

  Bill