Subject: netstat -C ?

From: Phil Dykstra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 96 17:51:48 EDT

SGI has a very nice option to netstat, -C, that gives you
a "top" like continually updated display.  They include a
multicast screen ("8") for this that shows multicast bytes
and packets per second in and out of the interfaces and
tunnels, and traffic per multicast group and source address.
It is a very handy display!

Does anyone know of the same thing for a Sun?  I'm running
SunOS 4.1.4 on SPARC 20's with the latest mcast release.
Thanks for any feedback on this.

- Phil

---

From: "Martin Horneffer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:43:57 +0200

> Thanks for any feedback on this.

Not the same thing, but probably better than nohing: I once wrote a small
perl-script, that reformats tcpdump output for multicast or tunnel traffic
in a "top" like fashion. Works fine on SunOS 5.x and should as well work
on any system with tcpdump and perl5.

Available as "mcast-monitor.pl" on
"http://www.uni-koeln.de/~maho/perf.html".

Martin

-- 
Martin Horneffer -- [email-masked]

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 10:26:44 -0400 (EDT)

> SunOS 4.1.4 on SPARC 20's with the latest mcast release.

mstat can do something similar (albeit without using curses).
It can give you continually updated statistics on interfaces
and such for an SNMP-capable mrouted.

If you just have a host which isn't running mrouted, then this
won't help.

-Dave