Subject: Lots of routes today - Anybody just on PIM w/ DVMRP on a core router?

From: Hugh LaMaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 09:31:21 -0700 (PDT)

We seem to have a huge number of routes today.  Anybody just turn
on PIM on a router with lots of unicast routes and use the 
ip dvmrp metric command to get your routes into DVMRP?  Forget
to put an access-list on?

Since the person who did it is probably too busy right now to read
email, anybody figure out where it is coming from?

--
 Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21,    ASCII Email: [email-masked]
 NASA Ames Research Center     Or:          [email-masked]
 Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000  No Junkmail: USC 18 section 2701
 Phone: 650/604-1056           Disclaimer:  Unofficial, personal *opinion*.

---

From: Hugh LaMaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 16:58:57 -0700 (PDT)

> email, anybody figure out where it is coming from?

Same story again:

Aug  4 23:57:53 UTC: %DVMRP-1-ROUTEHOG: Receiving 18235 routes

---

From: Hugh LaMaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 10:57:55 -0700 (PDT)

Anybody out there working on this?  It is pretty amazing that
this has been going on for a week with only occasional relief.
This should be a simple fix, but, the person who has done it
is probably not aware.  This is where it would be nice if 
the upstream sources could determine where the problem is
and cut off the tunnels until it is resolved.

**  #date -u
     Wed Aug  5 17:38:58 GMT 1998

Still getting these, just as bad as before:

Aug  5 17:41:09 UTC: %DVMRP-1-ROUTEHOG: Receiving 13097 routes 
Aug  5 17:41:09 UTC: %DVMRP-1-ROUTEHOG: Receiving 12240 routes 
Aug  5 17:41:09 UTC: %DVMRP-1-ROUTEHOG: Receiving 13542 routes 

> Aug  4 23:57:53 UTC: %DVMRP-1-ROUTEHOG: Receiving 18235 routes

The problem is certain to be someone who recently has turned
on native PIM and is redistributing the PIM routes into DVMRP
using [assuming it is a Cisco router]: 

 ip dvmrp metric 1 
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Normally, this should be:

 ip dvmrp metric 1 list <acl>

where the <acl> is an explicit list of the local routes that are
being injected, and which should be short list of the local
networks being included.

Comments/corrections/refutations welcome.

-Hugh LaMaster

---

From: "Tony Tauber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:09:11 -0400

On Aug 5, 10:57am, Hugh LaMaster wrote:
> Subject: Lots of DVMRP routes *still*!!! (was Re: Lots of DVMRP routes aga
>

These messages should include a peer address/interface, right?
Which provider are you getting these from?

I'm seeing 'em from MCI and from another connection which also
appears to have a tunnel to MCI.  Embarassingly enough, I think
they've been going on for much more than a week, so maybe there's
some different problem.

Anyone have more info?  Not sure how this may visible on an
mrouted box (vs. a Cisco) as I believe MCI uses mrouted.

Tony

>-- End of excerpt from Hugh LaMaster