Subject: Need to find a tunnel peer

From: Arlie Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 09:22:24 -0400

I need to find a tunnel peer.  I am connected to IQuest via a T1, to
their Indianapolis POP.  IQuest does not currently support multicast
routing.

I am three hops from "noon.nap.net".  I've contacted the folks at
NAP.NET, and they aren't really sure if they are doing any multicast IP
or not; I would guess they are not.

I am four hops from MCI, specifically "aads.mci.net".  The trace to most
destinations starts off this way:

  1 204.180.39.137 8 msec 8 msec 8 msec
  2 204.180.39.42 20 msec 12 msec 12 msec
  3 noon.nap.net (206.54.224.142) 12 msec 28 msec 16 msec
  4 aads.mci.net (198.32.130.12) 32 msec 16 msec 12 msec

If you want to trace to my router, trace to 204.180.39.137.

What's the best peer for me?  Any help is appreciated.

-- arlie

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 09:12:28 -0700 (PDT)

> What's the best peer for me?  Any help is appreciated.

	Your best peer is IQuest
	Then NAP.NET
	Then MCI

	Note that the farther away (more hops) from a tunnel provider,
	you increase (very dramatically) the consumed bandwidth across
	the intervening providers infrastructure. And they can't really
	stop you from building a tunnel either.

	So it is the providers best interests to build a multicast capable 
	infrastructure or have lots of extra, unused bandwidth laying about.

--bill