Subject: Sprint & Lucent (& ciscos) ION/VOIP announcements

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 09:25:39 +1000 (EST)

Marginally off-topic, but I think this stuff is good for rem-conf aware
people. Its indicative that 'ip uber alles' is really coming true and
that delivery of telephony standard services over IP is taken seriously
by the decision makers.

But it does beg the question: will there be a sane topological mapping
of this kind of connectivity back into broadcast and anycast network
methods we know and love?

Anybody else want to comment? I got interviewed 2 years ago by a journo
looking for background on the 'telephone calls over IP' story and was
foolish enough to say it was 5+ years off. Looks to me like it will
just scrape under the wire...

-George

---

From: Alagu Periyannan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 09:33:49 -0700

>that delivery of telephony standard services over IP is taken seriously

Actually,  I was quite confused by the press release.
It was not clear whether the integrated network was going
to use IP or ATM. There was certainly more mentioned about
ATM and it's ability deliver quality voice communication
than IP.

Did anyone else read it this way?

---------------------------------------------------
Alagu Periyannan                   [email-masked]

Interactive Multimedia Group
Apple Computer, Inc.

---

From: Joe Loiacono <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 14:42:41 -0400

>Did anyone else read it this way?

I suspect it will handle IP for data and AAL2 for voice.

Joe Loiacono                             Phone: (301) 794-2509
Computer Sciences Corporation            Fax:   (301) 794-9530

---

From: "Ken Vescovi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:56:23 -0400

On Jun 8,  9:33am, Alagu Periyannan wrote:
> Subject: Re: Sprint & Lucent (& ciscos) ION/VOIP announcements

I believe it's to be delivered over ATM with Cisco providing the technology to
interface to legacy IP networks.

Problem is the everpresent local loop where ISDN has, for the most part, been a
non-solve-it-all technology while the newer DSL technologies and tariffs
provide confusion instead of solution.  There's too many issues related to
providing a one stop technology for the local loop to discuss in this forum.

The ION announcement had a lot of corporate hype framed with some corporate
propaganda.  I still like the 1-800-pin-drop garbage when in fact the last leg
of most American households (OK, all) occur over that noisy copper environment
with bridge-tap, moisture, corrosion, varmints sharpening teeth (no, not
lawyers, actual critters), etc.

OK Sprint.  Show me.

>-- End of excerpt from Alagu Periyannan

--

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ken Vescovi
Principal Network Engineer
Concurrent Technologies Corporation
1450 Scalp Ave
Johnstown, PA 15904			ph 814.269.2687

PGP Public Key : ftp.ctc.com/pub/PGP-keys/vescovi.asc
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++