Subject: multicast under windows nt 4.0

From: "Dwight Spencer (TeleEducationNB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 12:04:11 -0400

After trying to get both SDR and Multikit working under WindowsNT,
(while watching the shuttle session on both my sparc and windows95
machines), I started vic by hand on my NT machine, and behold, I could
recieve the video.

This may have already been apparent, that NT does indeed recieve multicast
packets, but the session directory tools that I have tried do not work.  When
starting SDR, I get the error "socket fd to large (N)" and an older version 
of multikit I had, never gets the sessions lists updated.  The current
multikit doesn't start at all on my NT machine now.

Has anyone else on the list worked with NT, or currently are working with
NT gotten any better/other results than this? ... I've not tried using 
the older tool "sd", or any of these webpages that can spawn the multicast
tools themselves, so these may work under windows nt.  Can the
maintainers of these pages send me (privately) the urls for their pages, 
and I'll give them a try? 

I'm currently working in workstation 4.0.

dwight s.
-------
dwight spencer          internet services manager       [email-masked]
work: 506 444 5389      home: 506 454 0006              fax: 506 444 4232

TeleEducation NB, 500 Beaverbrook Court,
Fredericton, NB, Canada, E3B 5H1

---

From: Hans-Ulrich Kiel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 11:50:32 +0200 (MET DST)

> and I'll give them a try? 

Hello!

I've tested the following session tools with NT 4.0:

- SDR V2.2a22 from ftp://cs.ucl.ac.uk/mice/sdrtest/sdrwin.exe
  is not able to receive any session
- SDR V2.2a12 from ftp://ftp.ucs.ed.ac.uk/pub/videoconference/sdr/winsdr22.zip
  print the error message "socket fd to large (N)" 
- SDR V2.1a1 from 
  ftp://ftp.ucs.ed.ac.uk/pub/videoconference/sdr/nt_sdr_V2.1a1.05.zip
  receives sessions, but has problem starting the mbone tools

But this tool works in our NT environment very well: 
- SD-Win32-2.0a3 from http://archive.thepoint.net/Win32SD/

Bye, Hans-Ulrich
-- 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        Rechenzentrum der TU Clausthal -- Infodienst Wissenschaft (idw)         
  Hans-Ulrich Kiel                                         Fax: 05323/72-3536  
  EMail: [email-masked]                       Telefon: 05323/72-3159  
  WWW: http://www.tu-clausthal.de/~mahuk/             D2/privat: 0172/9000422  
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=