Subject: Re: How to get multi-homed ATM/Ethernet sparcs talking?

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 16:56:13 PST

One way to accomplish what you want is to get pseudo-interface drivers
(like FreeBSD's tun interface) and create a tunnel between the two
machines.  Don't run mrouted on the remote machine.  This way, you have
what looks to mrouted like a host at the end of a point-to-point link.

I've always resisted "promoting" mrouted's tunnel interfaces to
"first-class" interfaces which appear in ifconfig and can be used
directly by user-level programs because of fears about unicast
routing picking up the tunnels by mistake, but it makes this
particular problem really easy.

  Bill

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 02:01:53 +0100 (MET)

> (like FreeBSD's tun interface) and create a tunnel between the two

Geee, now it's "FreeBSD" tun ? I remember to have hacked on this kiddy
6 years ago in SunOS... ;-))

> particular problem really easy.

Well, given the fact that i've tried to persuade people for years that
they need a real infrastructure to deploy multicasting, then it's ok.
with me that they have to go through the trouble of adding a second ethernet,
and spare a subnet of their network for every single of these machines ;-))
That's what they'll be doing now.