Subject: IP Mcast per-source pruning - MS what to do?

From: Michael Jung <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 12:25:54 -0400

It would seem to me MS probably hasn't addressed this because
historically their haven't been any multicast aware apps 
in the MS environment.  I don't want to start another debate about
which OS should rule the planet or which may have the most enriched
environment for doing foo, but their are a LOT of CPU's running
MS OS.  Hell, I have over 400 I have to deal with, and yes a few
UNIX boxes too.

Actually until you mentioned this I wasn't aware of it and I've been
on the list for ~2 years and don't remember it ever being 
discussed.

Maybe Jim Gremmel could help by determining the best
channel for network administrators to address this as a concern
with MS. 

For the Mbone to grow it needs better access for all users on
all platforms.The last stats I read indicated that most business
desktop systems do run a MS OS.

Just another observation.......

--mikej
[email-masked]

>Van Jacobson writes:

>Unfortunately, the effect of source-based prunes may not be as
>large as one would desire.  An increasing number of PCs running
>that slime pit Microsoft calls an OS are appearing on the
>MBone.  Despite a great deal of explaining & cajoling on my
>part, Microsloth still hasn't incorporated the "bind" fixes that
>we got into every Unix system way back in 1991.  (Under win95,
>join two vat sessions with different multicast addresses but
>the same port & notice that all the members of both sessions
>appear in each.)  If they can't get a 3 line fix into "bind" in
>5 years, I can't imagine how many centuries it will take for
>something significant like upgrading to igmp v3.  And while
>there are v2 hosts on a subnet, the v3 source based prunes will
>be a nop.
>
> - Van

---

From: Mark Chorak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 10:58:34 -0700 (PDT)

I going to install mbone on our Power Mac at our site.
I understand that we need Mac OS 7.5.2, however is there
FAQ's on the Mac mbone that I can check out. I need to
know the latest troubles with installing Macbone ("something I made up").

PS: Where can I also download the tools?

Mark

"I'll have 1 Macbone, 1 small order of fries and a small coke."