Subject: RE: Mbone Apps on Pentiums running Solaris ?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 20:10:48 -0500

Hi,
I'd say: none of the above (below since my mail proggie puts the
original message at the end of the reply).

I'd recommend you use FreeBSD on a Pentium machine. It is a perfectly
stable Unix, relatively secure (_I_ wouldn't put a Linux machine on my
networks) and you can find MBone apps already compiled for this OS.
Compiling the popular MBone apps is a bitch (get the source code, find
the matching and right combination of tcl/tk, compile tcl, compile tk,
compile the MBone app, etc...) and you want to avoid it.

If money isn't an obstacle, you can still go for Win95/NT and get IP/TV
from precept software (www.Precept.com) which makes a very Mbone app for
Windoze machines and it provides you with advanced functionality such as
monitoring the quality of reception of your audience. 

Solaris 2.6 is probably a good choice but because this OS is so new, I'd
hesitate to commit to it for MBone apps and besides, binaries for
Solaris 2.5.X may not work on 2.6 because of the (in) famous snprintf
problem.

I hope this helps,
Yves Lepage

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	[email-masked]
> [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Thursday, October 30, 1997 5:03 PM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	Mbone Apps on Pentiums running Solaris ?
> 
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I am trying to figure out what's the best choice for running mbone
> applications from among the following.
> 
> 1. Solaris 2.6 on a Pentium 266. Pardon me, is there a Solaris 2.6 for
> PCs ?
> 
> 2. Linux on a similar Pentium
> 
> 3. Windows95/NT on a Pentium.
> 
> I don't like the 3rd option considering how scarce it is to find well
> tested mbone applications for the windows95/nt platforms.
> 
> Thanks much.
> 
>  -Rajeev
> 
>

---

From: Shin MICHIMUKO <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 10:39:47 +0900

Hi Yves,

> networks) and you can find MBone apps already compiled for this OS.

  Is it clear that Linux is relatively dangerous? If so, could you
tell us which point is? It is very helpful info for Linux users and
me.

  Following lines are just a comment of me.

> compile the MBone app, etc...) and you want to avoid it.

  We may get some binary copies of those applications from Linux
users. May be not ALL of them, but please refer:

	http://www.teksouth.com/linux/multicast/setup.html

  I think that number of Linux users is greater (80% by some rumour)
than FreeBSD in the world. If MBONE people want to support UNIX
community, Linux cannot be ignored, I think. 

  If the first question was sent from non-UNIX user, there is not so
big different is existing between FreeBSD and Linux, I think...

== Money is one of the minimum conditions to do anything, but... =======
    [email-masked] (Shin MICHIMUKO)
============================================ Freedom is everything. ====

---

From: Scott Michel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:43:48 -0800

> compile the MBone app, etc...) and you want to avoid it.

I'd have to jump in here and point out that FreeBSD ain't perfect
yet, although I would strongly agree with Yves about Linux. The major
problem with either Solaris or FreeBSD is getting things to work --
unless you use the canonically blessed hardware.

> Solaris 2.5.X may not work on 2.6 because of the (in) famous snprintf

Our experience here at The Aerospace Corporation is that you need to
recompile vic, at the very least. vat and sdr look like they work with
the 2.4 or 2.5 binaries. There appear to be some changes to the XIL
libraries which cause vic to bomb.

-scooter
--
Scott Michel
Computer Systems Research Department                [email-masked]
The Aerospace Corporation                           +1-310-336-5034

---

From: "David M. Meyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 11:03:40 -0800 (PST)

> libraries which cause vic to bomb.

	I can verify this, although I haven't had the time
	to track down the cause.

	Dave