Subject: automated launch

From: Jim Bogard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 11:29:05 -0400 (EDT)

A question or two...

We would like to have a machine broadcasting an in-house video channel 
all the time.  Thus, I would like to be able have the mbone utilities 
launch on boot (in case the transmitting machine crashes).  Is this 
possible?  I can't seem to get the tools to automatically transmit on 
startup.  Also, can one have sdr advertise a session in a similar 
manner?  I guess some twiddling of the sd_cache file might accomplish 
that, actually.

On a related note, is there any multicast address space that is reserved 
for local use?  That is, an address I can use for this session 100% of 
the time that won't ever conflict with some world-scoped broadcast 
initiated by someone elsewhere?  Or is this already accounted for in the 
ttl/scope selection?

Before anyone asks, yes, this is for our site only.

Thanks.
J-.
----
Jim Bogard  JHU/APL BIX Group             "This is my banjo.  There are many
Backbone Network Engineer                   like it, but this one is mine."