Subject: RE: router suggestion

From: vishwas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 98 10:28:00 PDT

It depends on what you want to test, but in general the 25xx
is very useful in testing most routing/forwarding mechanisms.
The 2514, eg. provides 2 ethernet and 2 serial interfaces so you
can build a wide variety of topologies. There are less expensive
cisco routers which do multicast well, but will be more limited
in what test topologies/protocols they can support.
 ------------------------

Hi John,
 I have some clarification to make, with cisco.
I have 2503 and 2507, but as they have only one ethernet, I ended up in   
using AUX port of CISCO which is very in efficient for Multicast routing.   

I would like to know if at all any facility provided by CISCO to upgrade   
the existing hardware. I mean I want one more ethernet card on my   
2503/2507. Is it possible.?

Regards
vishu

---

From: "Christophe Tronche" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:27:53 +0200

I don't like to talk after Cisco people :-). I used the 1605 to do
exactly what you said (insulate a portion of network to perform some
multicast test). It comes with 2 Ethernet ports. It proved to be very
good, and it's one of the cheapest router you can find.

-- 
Christophe Tronche		[email-masked]
Tel: (33) 01 69 15 66 25	Fax: (33) 01 69 15 65 86

---

From: Pierre Laforgue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:50:41 +0200 (MET DST)

> good, and it's one of the cheapest router you can find.

Yes, it is - except if you have to use it inside an IPv6 platform : some 6
months ago, a specific bug affected the 1605 in the beta IPv6 IOS, confusing
the 2 Ethernet ports (the IOS was tested on other, mono-Ethernet, 16xx models).
So we bought long ago 3 1605, still unused, expecting a fix.

Pierre Laforgue
IMAG Institute