Subject: MBONE connectivity...

From: Matt Zimmerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 12:52:05 -0500 (EST)

I'm looking for information on what would be involved in setting up an 
MBONE multicast feed for NetRail.  We're currently peering at MAE-east, 
and using multicast-capable routers.  Who do I need to talk to in order 
to coordinate tunnels, etc.?

// Matt Zimmerman       Chief of System Management           NetRail, Inc.
// [email-masked]                                       [email-masked]
// (703) 524-4800 [voice]    (703) 524-4802 [data]    (703) 534-5033 [fax]

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 10:39:56 PST

In message <[email-masked]> you write:
>We're currently peering at MAE-east, and using multicast-capable routers.

PSI, Suranet, Digex and Sprint are already peering at MAE-East using
native multicast; you should be able to configure your routers to peer
natively on MAE-East, with no need for any tunnels.

What kind of routers are you using?  Be very careful with your configuration,
as some versions of some vendors' software is very easy to misconfigure
and accidentally flood the MBONE routing table.

  Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Boolootian)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 11:04:57 -0800 (PST)

>and accidentally flood the MBONE routing table.

Has anyone written down guidelines for configuring routers to help folks
avoid such misconfigurations?  For instance, a few example configurations
for Cisco boxes might help avoid disaster.  Perhaps some cautionary words to 
help steer someone in the right direction.

Are such misconfigurations easily avoided?  If so, it should be explainable...

mb

---

From: "Jeff Young" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:08:34 -0500

hi matt,

since you've got a line from us we can provide connectivity.

Jeff Young
[email-masked]

> Return-Path: [email-masked]
> Received: from venera.isi.edu (venera.isi.edu [128.9.0.32]) by postoffice.reston.mci.net (8.6.12/8.6.6) with SMTP id NAA03093; Fri, 23 Feb 1996 13:22:53 -0500
> Received: by venera.isi.edu (5.65c/5.61+local-22)
> 	id <AA29717>; Fri, 23 Feb 1996 09:52:24 -0800
> Received: from netrail.net by venera.isi.edu (5.65c/5.61+local-22)
> 	id <AA29705>; Fri, 23 Feb 1996 09:52:22 -0800
> Received: (from mdz@localhost) by netrail.net (8.7.3/8.6.12) id MAA01924; Fri, 23 Feb 1996 12:52:05 -0500
> Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 12:52:05 -0500 (EST)
> From: Matt Zimmerman <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: MBONE connectivity...
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
>

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 11:37:09 -0800

>> help steer someone in the right direction.

    Refer to ftp://ftp.cisco.com/ipmulticast.html.

Dino