Subject: Audio?

From: [email-masked] (Alan Batie)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 16:30:07 -0700 (PDT)

I hope I didn't miss something stupid, but I'm running vat 4.0b2 invoked
from sd 2.2a11 on BSD/OS 2.1, and for the last few events I've tried to
tune into, audio senders turn white, but I get no audio, not even in the
built-into-vat meter.  Network monitoring shows the packets coming in, so
I have to assume there's some sort of format problem, although I tried
invoking vat without -r and it made no difference.  Could someone point
me at the place to R in TFM?  Thanks...
-- 
Alan Batie                     ------        What goes up, must come down.
[email-masked]        \    /        Ask any system administrator.
+1 503-264-8844 (voice)         \  /         --unknown
D0 D2 39 0E 02 34 D6 B4          \/          5A 41 21 8F 23 5F 08 9D

---

From: Geert Jan de Groot <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 01:38:00 +0200

> me at the place to R in TFM?  Thanks...

Under the 'menu' button, you can enable a 1000 Hz tone. Does that work?
Did you enable the audio drivers in the kernel and rebuild your kernel?

Geert Jan

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Batie)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 17:32:33 -0700 (PDT)

> Did you enable the audio drivers in the kernel and rebuild your kernel?

It was working before, but you did prompt me in the right direction.  I
assumed that since the meters weren't working, the problem was on the
network side.  It turns out that something had wedged my audio device,
and any attempts to open it were getting "device busy".  I tried playing
an audio file just to confirm that it was all working, and lo!  It wasn't.
I ktrace'd vat and verified that it was getting the same error (it would
be nice if it would mention minor little problems like not having any
place to write sounds to!)  I rebooted and it's all working now.

---

From: Graeme Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 10:09:55 +0100 (BST)

> place to write sounds to!)  I rebooted and it's all working now.

Well it does do this but it is not immediately obvious.  If you look at
the vat version number string at the bottom of the vat window the text
will be in roman typeface if it has control of the audio device and in
italic typeface if it doesn't.

=============================================================================
Graeme Wood                                 Email: [email-masked]
Unix Systems Support                        Phone: +44 131 650 5003
The University of Edinburgh                 Fax:   +44 131 650 6552
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scottish MICE National Support Centre       Email: [email-masked]
for your multimedia conferencing support    WWW:   http://mice.ed.ac.uk/mice/
=============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Batie)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 10:13:58 -0700 (PDT)

> italic typeface if it doesn't.

Cute.  I guess it makes sense not to pop up nasty error messages and die
in the context of having multiple vat's and/or other audio apps running.
Of course, the next question is "how do you tell who's got control?", but
that's an OS issue.