Subject: Mcast tunnel through firewall

From: "Weiping Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 18:25:37 +0200

Hi,

is there any on-going works on "tunnel"ing a multicast tunnel through the port
sensitive firewalls via a TCP or UDP connection?

Weiping Li

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 12:32:00

>sensitive firewalls via a TCP or UDP connection?

Yes.  A recent Internet Draft ("draft-finlayson-mcast-firewall") discusses
the issues involved with bringing multicast packets across a firewall.  (I
talked about this briefly in an MBONED session at the last IETF; this draft
will eventually become a 'product' of the MBONED working group.)

(An HTML-formatted version of this draft is also online at
<http://www.lvn.com/mcastfw.html>)

	Ross.

---

From: Marty Bickford <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 06:44:29 -0700

There is work being done with SOCKS that will allow this. You might want to
check out:
http://www.stardust.com/events/socks98/tech_resources.htm
http://www.stardust.com/events/socks98/conference.htm

Marty

>sensitive firewalls via a TCP or UDP connection?

____________________________________________________
Marty Bickford
Stardust Forums
408.879.8080 (8081-fax)
http://www.stardust.com

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 11:34:03

No, although it is possible to the proposed SOCKS extensions for multicast
firewall traversal, this is usually not the best approach.  See the
(recently-updated) Internet Draft <draft-mboned-mcast-firewall-01.txt>,
which explains this in detail.

This draft is also available on the web at
	<http://www.live.com/mcastfw.txt>,
and (in HTML form) at
	<http://www.live.com/mcastfw.html>

    Ross.