Subject: RE: mrouted for NT.

From: Jason Coombs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:28:47 -0700

I never saw a response to this request and have suddenly
become interested myself.

Anyone know of an mrouted for NT?

Jason Coombs
Scientist, SCIENCE.ORG

-----Original Message-----
From:	Vivek Vaidya [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Tuesday, June 10, 1997 12:32 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	mrouted for NT.

Hi all,
  Any updates on mrouted for NT ? I checked out the mailing list archives and
learnt that I'll have to use Linux/FreeBSD for Multicast routing. 

  Is anyone aware of any problems that arise when porting mrouted to Nt ?

Thanks in advance,
Vivek.

---

From: Richard Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 09:24:34 -0700 (PDT)

I asked about this about 5 months ago.. Any news?

rw

---

From: Graeme Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 18:42:00 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Richard Williams wrote:

NT does not support multicast routing, therefore there is no mrouted for
NT.  I believe NT version 5 will support it.

Graeme

> >   Is anyone aware of any problems that arise when porting mrouted to Nt ?

=============================================================================
Graeme Wood                                 Email: [email-masked]
Unix Systems Support                        Phone: +44 131 650 5003
The University of Edinburgh                 Fax:   +44 131 650 6552
=============================================================================

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:54:17 PDT

>NT.  I believe NT version 5 will support it.

To expand on Graeme's message, something that not everybody knows is
that mrouted is not involved in the actual multicast packet
forwarding.  mrouted performs topology discovery and tracks neighbors,
prunes, grafts and group membership, but relies on the IP stack itself
to perform the multicast forwarding.  Therefore, not only must mrouted
run on a new platform (which should be the easy part), but the IP stack
must be modified to perform multicast forwarding.

  Bill

---

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 16:01:12 -0700

So the question now is if there is a vendor other than microsoft who
either provides mrouted /ip multicast capable stack or an ip multicast
capable stack which people can use to port mrouted.

Or get a cheap pc and run FreeBSD 8)

	Cheers,
	Amancio

---

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 16:01:12 -0700

Cheers,
	Amancio

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 10:03:34 +0300 (EEST)

> Or get a cheap pc and run FreeBSD 8)
I wonder why people keep asking for advanced routing capabilities for
an overbloated GUI acting as a platform for that when you can pick up
a box that does better job for a reasonable price.

Pete

---

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 00:31:38 -0700

Hi,

We have to be nice here it is such a small mbone world 8)

Microsoft appears to be honestly trying to improve their state of
affairs if things work out for them with their WDM drivers at the
very least they will enjoy a cool audio/video conferencing platform.

	Cheers,
	Amancio

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 12:51:49 +0300 (EEST)

> very least they will enjoy a cool audio/video conferencing platform.
I'm not arguing the positioning and application of quite nice GUI that
comes with 95 or NT, I'm just questioning it's applicability to do
anything more for the network than acting as a host. Since it does not
have to in order to achieve what you would like to do.

Pete

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 16:28:47 +0100

it would be a Good Thing, if the new Microsoft research center in
cambridge were to be Mboneized
derek mcauley (one of their first people) is a very very good
networks/operating systems person, and has every intent to fix their
shortcomings i nthis area - an early dll releaser for Nt 4  (not
waiting for 5) or 95 would seem obvious signs of good faith.....

a nearby (but somewhat unlreated) place, the computer lab in the
unviersity of cambridge, has experts in writing Nt drivers, so kernel
(or wehatever its called in NT speak)
forwarding code shouldnt be too alien....plus they are good mbonme
citizens...

 >must be modified to perform multicast forwarding.

 jon

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 18:53:04 +0300 (EEST)

> waiting for 5) or 95 would seem obvious signs of good faith.....
Does anybody around here know when Microsoft will come up with IGMPv2?

Pete

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 09:21:30 -0700

>> Does anybody around here know when Microsoft will come up with IGMPv2?

    In the Memphis release but don't know when. It was suppose to come out
    this summer.

Dino

---

From: Karl Auerbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 10:25:05 -0700 (PDT)

> Does anybody around here know when Microsoft will come up with IGMPv2?

They have already done it.

It is in the latest Winsock 2.0 - TCP/IP stack combination for Win 95 (but
not NT, at least not yet).

	http://www.microsoft.com/win32dev/netwrk/winsock2/ws295sdk.html

However, the current image has some IGMPv2 flaws.  We (Precept) have
worked with Microsoft to isolate the problems.  Microsoft has informed us
that they have corrected the problems and are doing final testing before
posting a corrected image. 

		--karl--

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 22:02:15 +0300 (EEST)

>     In the Memphis release but don't know when. It was suppose to come out
I think the current word is that Memphis == Windows98, right?

Does anybody know if it already works in current beta releases?

Pete

---

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 13:54:40 -0700

Patience ...

If you want to help just pester Microsoft, the conditions are ripe for
Microsoft to jump in the Mbone bandwagon: They bought webtv, 
got a small stake on progressive networks, planning to buy out
vxtreme (got no clue why 8) ), Ascend is supporting mbone (ISDN) , 
abundant support for cheap video adapters (bt848 based  among many)
in fact Memphis will come with a bt848 driver, intense desire on
the TV Broadcast industry, the codecs are in place h.323, 
software support for mpeg playback...

	Cheers,
	Amancio

---

From: Ayman Ali Ali <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:55:54 +0300 (AST)

Dear Sir
	May you please tell me what is it IGMPv2, and what it is used for ...

                                         Best Regards
                                         Ayman
              ____________________________________________________
          -=((                AYMAN ALI ALI                       ))=-
        -==(((        Microsoft Certified Professional            )))==-
          -=((____________________________________________________))=-
                      http://www.itsq8.com/~ayali
                      http://www.angelfire.com/me/ayali
            ()_________)   phone  : +(202) 555-7036
             \ ~~~~~~~~ \  E-mail : [email-masked]
               \ ~~~~~~   \       : [email-masked]
                 \__________\
                  ()__________)

---

From: Richard Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:14:06 -0700 (PDT)

> a box that does better job for a reasonable price.

Because microsoft won.

rw