Subject: Multicasting movie files

From: "Craig M. Votava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 10:36:39 -0500

Folks-

The SGI machines allow you to create movie files (Quicktime, MPEG, AVI,
etc.) of actual windows on your computer screen. This is useful when
putting together a demo of a new tool you want to present, because you
don't have to demonstrate it live. You can prepare the movie file before
hand, and simply play it for your audience.

I'm wondering if there are any MBONE applications that take a movie
file as input, and multicast it to everyone involved in that session.

Any help or pointers are appreciated!

Thanks

-Craig

        ()_()   Craig Votava
         (_)    Lucent Technologies
                [email-masked]

---

From: "Piers O'Hanlon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 12:30:37 +0100

Craig,

>file as input, and multicast it to everyone involved in that session.
Depending on what you call a "movie file" you could say that the Mbone VCR 
will do the job by multicasting previously recorded "movies", sent by someone.

Alternatively there's quite a neat feature on INRIA's new offering, Rendezvous 
(http://zenon.inria.fr/rodeo/rv/) that allows you to multicast an MPEG file to 
all other participants - which gets transcoded into H261 so you can receive it 
using Rendezvous or vic, or whatever.

Otherwise you could use IP/TV from Precept and multicast the screen of your 
display (or an MPEG file - which doesn't get transcoded so you need to use the 
IPTV client) on NT/win95 or feed your SGI through a scan converter (I heard 
that SGI's do do video out) and into a grabber for something to transmit.

Piers O'Hanlon
______________

MultiMedia Support and Comms Centre
University College London.