Subject: No Join in Cisco

From: Gopal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:50:08 -0400

Hi
I was going through some Cisco IOS docs and read that when the router is
configured to run PIM-SM then it does NOT send a JOIN message when a host
indicates (via IGMP) that it wishes to join a group. If this is true, does it
mean that the router does not maintain negative cache entries ?
Thanks much
-gopal

---

From: "John M. Zwiebel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:27:52 -0700

This is not true.  Of course the router sends a join to the RP when it gets
a IGMP host report.  Where did you read this (ie, what page, which doc) so that
if it is in error, we can get it fixed.

I don't understand your reference to the 'negative cache entry'.  SM doesn't
require such an entry in all cases.  For example, if a router receives a (s,g)
prune on its last interface, there may not be a reason to keep the (s,g) in the 
routing table.

 ^ Hi
 ^ I was going through some Cisco IOS docs and read that when the router is
 ^ configured to run PIM-SM then it does NOT send a JOIN message when a host
 ^ indicates (via IGMP) that it wishes to join a group. If this is true, does i
    t
 ^ mean that the router does not maintain negative cache entries ?
 ^ Thanks much
 ^ -gopal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	John Zwiebel                       Phone: 408-526-5303
	Cisco Systems Inc.                 
	Multimedia Group