Subject: administratively scoped addresses

From: "Louis A. Mamakos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 14:51:52 -0400

It is my understanding that there is currently a proposal to the IANA
to designate the class D addresses in the range of 239.0.0.0 - 239.255.255.255
as administratively scoped addresses.  I'd like to know if there
are any further plans for subdividing this space into something including
provider-scoped addresses.

We are in the process of deploying some multicast capable infrastructure
for the purpose of distributing content to our customers, and using a
portion of the scoped address space seems to be a good approach to 
contain the extent of the content, and keep it segregated from the
generic "MBONE experiment" traffic.

My current plans are to use 239.1.x.x for this application, and I'd like to
avoid conflicting with any other intended uses of portions of the
239.x.x.x space.

-- 
Louis A. Mamakos,  Manager, Strategic Technologies  [email-masked],  uunet!louie
UUNET Technologies, Inc.                            Voice: +1 703 206 5823
3060 Williams Drive                                 Fax:   +1 703 208 5390
Fairfax, VA 22031

---

From: "David M. Meyer 541/346-1747" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 14:23:25 -0700 (PDT)

Louis,

	One of the explicit tasks of the newly chartered MBONED
	working is to develop a BCP describing the use of
	administratively scoped addresses. While I've been
	working on such a document, no draft exists at this
	time (someone correct me if they have one).

	Dave