Subject: Re: FWD: vat and vic on Windows 95

From: John Brezak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 12:21:14 -0500

At 12:03 PM 3/14/96 +0100, Julian J. Bunn, CN Division, CERN, Geneva wrote:
>
>Hello,
>
>  I have installed VAT4.0a6 and VIC2.7a37 on a PC running Windows 95 using
VC++ 
>version 4.0 and tk/tcl 4.1a2 and 7.5a2. I had to resolve the following problems
>locally:
>
>  1) audio_win32 : dprintf unresolved

This is fixed in a a patch that was just sent to the maintainers.

>  2) tkStripChart: xcleararea and xdrawsegments are not contained in tk4.1a2

Grab the win32X.c from vic. [ This is also fixed in the patches ]

>  3) p64.h       : resetndblk needs to return an int

Ditto.

>
>I also had to resolve blt and tk/tcl problems:
>
>  1) vic.mak needs a define for bltutil.c to avoid duplicate strcasecmp from
>     win32.c

There is a new blt.h included for vic that is for win32.

>  2) winMthErr not needed for VC++

I'll look at this.

>
>I have the following problem. We start nv/vat sessions on a Sun sending to the
>PC, where vic/vat are started thus:
>
>  vat sunmed2/3456
>  vic sunmed2/4444
>
>On the Sun, the PC user appears in both vat and nv session lists, and some
audio
>from the PC gets through (although one has to be careful with the settings
in vat 
>on the PC if one uses a soundcard without full duplex audio capability ...
we use
>an SB16). But on the PC, the session lists just shows the local user, and
no audio
>or video seems to be received.

The win95 TCP/IP doesn't support the sockopt for turning off mcast loopback.
I've added filtering to the net path to deal with this. This patch has been 
sent in.

Another thing is that vat send isn't working yet (your mileage may vary).

>
>The test tones work OK on the PC, so there certainly seems to be audio
function.
>The vic window just displays the waiting for video message.

Some folks have reported problems with non-mcast addresses. Also if you are
sending nv format video be sure to start vic with the "-A nv" argument.

>
>Has anyone any idea what might be wrong ? The PC and Sun are physically
separated by
>a couple of routers and bridges ...
>
>Best regards,
> Julian Bunn 
>-- 
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Julian James Bunn / CERN Computing and Networks Division. Tel.: +41 22 767 5029
>Email: [email-masked]                             CompuServe: 100327,317
>WWW: http://128.141.239.100/jjb/jjb.html       PAW/PIAF Project & Data Analysis
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>