Subject: Problems with ipmulti3.5 (Long)

From: Laurie Chapman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 14:21:14 -0500 (EST)

We are running ipmulti3.5 on a SunOS 4.1.3_U1 system.  We have recently 
been receiving the following errors on our mbone machine (141.217.1.74)

Feb 17 04:06:10 mbone mrouted[104]: warning - duplicate prune received on 
vif 4
from 141.210.188.3 for (192.58.51.0 224.2.231.173)/310 old timer: 11 cur 
gm: 0
Feb 17 04:06:19 mbone vmunix: le0: No carrier - transceiver cable problem?
Feb 17 04:08:16 mbone last message repeated 4 times
Feb 17 04:08:30 mbone mrouted[104]: warning - duplicate prune received on 
vif 4
from 141.210.188.3 for (204.62.246.64 224.2.127.255)/352 old timer: 15 
cur gm: 4
Feb 17 04:08:40 mbone mrouted[104]: warning - duplicate prune received on 
vif 4
from 141.210.188.3 for (171.68.0.0 224.2.0.1)/357 old timer: 15 cur gm: 0
Feb 17 04:09:00 mbone mrouted[104]: warning - duplicate prune received on 
vif 4
from 141.210.188.3 for (130.246.72.0 224.16.252.0)/416 old timer: 14 cur 
gm: 80
Feb 17 04:09:50 mbone mrouted[104]: warning - duplicate prune received on 
vif 4
from 141.210.188.3 for (128.3.196.0 224.2.143.24)/402 old timer: 15 cur 
gm: 0

Here are the tunnels we have setup for this machine:

127.0.0.1 (localhost) [version 3.5]:
  141.217.1.74 -> 0.0.0.0 (local) [1/1/querier/leaf]
  141.217.1.74 -> 198.108.2.20 (198.108.2.20) [1/32/tunnel]
  141.217.1.74 -> 141.217.35.6 (141.217.35.6) [1/8/tunnel]
  141.217.1.74 -> 141.217.24.175 (141.217.24.175) [1/8/tunnel/down/leaf]
  141.217.1.74 -> 141.210.188.3 (141.210.188.3) [1/32/tunnel/leaf]
  141.217.1.74 -> 147.240.129.2 (147.240.129.2) [1/32/tunnel/down/leaf]
  141.217.1.74 -> 129.124.48.25 (129.124.48.25) [1/32/tunnel/down/leaf]
  141.217.1.74 -> 141.217.25.22 (141.217.25.22) [1/8/tunnel/leaf]

Also, one of our tunnels (141.217.25.22) is receiving the following errors:

Feb 15 14:16:30 foghorn.pass.wayne.edu mrouted[12383]: warning - 141.217.1.74
reports an invalid origin (194.135.176.0) and/or mask (fffff800)
Feb 15 14:16:30 foghorn.pass.wayne.edu mrouted[12383]: warning - 141.217.1.74
reports an invalid origin (194.190.160.0) and/or mask (fffff800)
Feb 15 14:16:34 foghorn.pass.wayne.edu mrouted[12383]: warning - 141.217.1.74
reports an invalid origin (193.124.156.0) and/or mask (fffffc00)

Could someone point me to an RFC or some other document that explains 
these error messages or can anyone tell me what these messages mean?

Thank you!

Laurie Chapman                     Wayne State University - Detroit, MI.
System Programmer                  University Communications/C&IT
Internet: [email-masked]   (313) 577-0247 
BITNET:   LMARSHA@WAYNEST1         http://www.pass.wayne.edu/~lmarsha

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 09:29:41 PST

>from 141.210.188.3 for (192.58.51.0 224.2.231.173)/310 old timer: 11 cur 

Is your mbone machine heavily loaded with other things?  This indicates
timer skew between mbone and hamming that causes hamming's prune timer to
expire early.  This bug should be fixed in mrouted 4.0 .

>reports an invalid origin (194.135.176.0) and/or mask (fffff800)

foghorn is apparently running a pre-3.5 mrouted.  194.190.160/21 is a CIDR
route, that pre-3.5's can't handle.  There are two ways to get rid of this
warning: upgrade foghorn to 3.8, or get whoever is injecting the 194.190.160/21
route to inject the seperate classful routes instead of the CIDR route.

  Bill