Subject: some misconfigured cisco trashing the mbone again

From: Van Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 96 22:00:45 PDT

A misconfigured cisco router somewhere in the world is injecting
massive numbers of unicast routes into the mbone again.  Our local
mrouted's are currently seeing 32579 routes advertised (and spending
40% of an SS-2 processing routing updates).  Anyone have any idea
how we can find this router and stop it?  Anyone have any idea how,
after 3 years of putting up with this crap, we can get cisco to
fix their goddamn software so that cisco customers and the mbone
aren't continually hosed by innocent customers making a very-easy-
to-make configuration mistake?

 - Van

---

From: Magnus Danielson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 18:19:52 +0200

> to-make configuration mistake?

You should be able to mtrace to bogus mbone networks, that is network you know
is not on the Mbone and see where they show up... this of course assumes that
you have any Mbone routers alive along the path.

Everyone should look into their routing tables and see where the most entries
came from. If everyone had SNMP access to their routers I would even be able to
make a routing entry trace tool... it would be a bit clumpsy but would do the
trick.

I dont understand why Cisco still think they should allow people to include
the unicast table into the DVMRP routing table since this will never survive
it. Cisco should view this as a bug and not as a feature. When useing a 
diffrent
routing table scheme (I hope, I surely hope) it just migth be a good idea 
again,
but until then it is a bug.

Magnus Danielson
Mbone coordinator in Europe and Chairman of the RIPE Mbone WG