Subject: Re: Routing loop?

From: Ken Lindahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 00:01:31 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, John Hawkinson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> Unfortunately I don't have the means (or the ability) to trace this 
>> down...thought someone would be interested though.  :-)
>
>Have you tried mtrace?

bruce is sitting behind a cisco running ios 10.3(13) which doesn't support
mtrace. the router has insufficient flash to handle 11.0 or 11.1; though
this will be remedied soon.

>                       It is usually quite clear about the source of
>the packet duplication (just look for negative numbers in the
>statistics section). Shortly after you sent the mail I looked and did
>not see these duplicates.

>That implies the source of the duplicates is somewhere along the
>path from you to dartsun3 that does not appear on my path.
>
>I've attached my current path there...

here's the path from ucb's border router, but i guess the cisco mtrace
doesn't give the statistics you referred to:

inr-666#mtrace 140.173.8.3
Type escape sequence to abort.
Mtrace from 140.173.8.3 to 198.128.16.21 via group 224.2.0.1
From source (?) to destination (inr-666-dmz.berkeley.edu)
Querying full reverse path... * switching to hop-by-hop:
 0  inr-666-dmz.berkeley.edu (198.128.16.21)
-1  inr-666-dmz.berkeley.edu (198.128.16.21) DVMRP  thresh^ 0  0 ms
-2  mbone.berkeley.edu (198.128.16.22) DVMRP  thresh^ 1  74636 ms
-3  mr1.lbl.gov (131.243.64.184) DVMRP  thresh^ 32  7583 ms
-4  lbl-mr1-f.es.net (198.128.16.13) DVMRP  thresh^ 48  -211476 ms
-5  llnl-mr2.es.net (134.55.12.229) DVMRP  thresh^ 8  61672 ms
-6  mbone.nsi.nasa.gov (192.203.230.241) DVMRP  thresh^ 64  6890 ms
-7  mbone2.nsi.nasa.gov (192.203.230.242) DVMRP  thresh^ 1  6883 ms
-8  * * * ames.dart.net (192.52.195.128)
inr-666#

ken

---

From: "John M. Zwiebel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 1996 01:28:07 -0800

cisco implemented the second part of the mtrace as a separate
command -- mstat.

z

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Fink)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 19:42:41 -0500 (EST)

> this will be remedied soon.

A point of information that may or may not be pertinent to your
specific situation.  cisco claims that you need 8 MB of flash to
run 11.0.  However, I noticed that the 7000 Enterprise image for
11.0(8), for example, is 4154746 bytes, which is less than 4 MB
(4194304 = 4*1024*1024).  Since it seemed this should just squeeze
in, I went ahead and tried it, and it's been working fine for me
for quite some time (YMMV).  The latest 7000 Enterprise image,
11.0(11), is 4199381 bytes, and therefore won't fit in 4 MB of
flash anymore.  I'm not sure why cisco has claimed that 8 MB of
flash is required for all the 11.0 images.  Perhaps some misguided
person thought that 4 MB was 4000000 bytes.

						-Bill