Subject: Re: more RINT/TINT error messages!

From: "Jeffrey S. Curtis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 15:45:20 -0600

} [...]
}Bill: you mentioned awhile ago that PARC's MBone architecture is built on 
}multi-homed Sparc workstations.  Are they using the 4-port (qe) Ethernet 
}devices?  It's possible I'll be able to replace the single port interface 
}with one of these guys and then add DBE to the kernel.

Has anyone definitely been able to get the 4-port (qe) sBus cards
to work with the ipmulti-3.5 patches on a sun4m architecture,
especially a SPARC 5? I have an imminent purchasing decision riding
on the answer to this question.

Thanks,

Jeff
-- 
Jeffrey S. Curtis                      | Internetwork Manager
Argonne National Laboratory            | Email: [email-masked]
9700 South Cass Avenue, ECT-221        | Voice: 708/252-1789
Argonne, IL 60439                      | Fax:   708/252-9689

---

From: Jonathan Heiliger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 16:18:14 -0800 (PST)

> on the answer to this question.

I just tried putting the patches onto a SS5 (sun4m) with a 4-port (qe) 
card.  The kernel recompiled just peachy, but no unicast traffic passes 
in/out of any of the qe{0-3} interfaces.

I didn't try futzing around with the ipmulti-3.3 if_le.o files; but I 
don't know if that would affect traffic on the interface.

That kinda sucks, considering I was going to replace the single port 
LANCE Ethernet with one of the 4-port jobbies. :(

-jh-

---

From: Darren Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 23:04:39 +1100 (EDT)

> LANCE Ethernet with one of the 4-port jobbies. :(

I'll add my experience with sparc 5's and leX.

The default driver that comes with SunOS 4.1.4 for sun4m's is buggy.

I've had tcpdump (compiled for /dev/nit) crash them also.  Not to mention
other nasties happen when running things like CAP/AUFS servers - these
would hang the interface (somehow), requiring a cold boot.

I've had others report a large amount of trouble with extra devices.

When I got multicast going on a ss5/85 with le0 & le1, I had the common
"TINT" error message everywhere, using the ipmulti 3.5 driver.  Going back
to an older revision of this driver _fixed_ the problem.

darren

p.s. maybe the way to go is to help out the guys porting NetBSD to the
     sun4m architecture - they've got an alpha binary release available :)