Subject: Re: Today's MBone disaster

From: "Jeffrey S. Curtis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 19:28:15 -0500

John Hawkinson writes:
} [...]
}The solutions are as follows, and we need everyone with a PIM-capable
}router to implement them:
} [...]
}ip pim accept-rp 239.133.130.34 1
} [...]

Except that this command only appears to exist in 11.1 and higher (I
didn't find it in 11.0(5) at least), and there are quite a few of us
who don't run anything higher than 10.2, given that cisco still manages
to put things like CSCdi66673 into 10.3.  (I suppose I could rant here
about how annoyed I am with the "you'd better run 11.0(9.3) or more
recent or we're going to kick you off the Mbone" movement, for these
exact sorts of reasons, but that's a different argument for a different
day.)

Say, is it possible that this bug is only trashing the 11.1 PIM routers?
Wouldn't that be ironic.

In all seriousness, if there's some action required by those of us at
10.2, 10.3, or 11.0, please do let us know.

Jeff
-- 
Jeffrey S. Curtis                      | Internetwork Manager
Argonne National Laboratory            | Email: [email-masked]
9700 South Cass Avenue, ECT-221        | Voice: 630/252-1789
Argonne, IL 60439                      | Fax:   630/252-9689

---

From: Liming Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 96 23:08:35 PDT

> didn't find it in 11.0(5) at least), and there are quite a few of us

This command was incorporated in releases starting from 11.0(5.3),
11.1(1.1) (both released in Feb 96) and all 11.2 images.

> Say, is it possible that this bug is only trashing the 11.1 PIM routers?

No.

> 10.2, 10.3, or 11.0, please do let us know.

The best way is to upgrade. Those still insisting on 10.2 and 10.3,
should at least upgrade the border router.

-Liming

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 23:19:53 PDT

>Say, is it possible that this bug is only trashing the 11.1 PIM routers?

You can check if your router is affected by the bug by checking the
output of "show ip mroute" and see if you have the bogus RP address
associated with any groups.  "show ip pim rp" might also tell you.

Groups in sparse mode (with the "S" flag set in the flags field) and
groups with packets forwarded on the RP-tree (as shown by
"show ip mr count") are also signs.

Of course, I can't vouch for which of these diagnostics are available
in older versions of IOS.

  Bill

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 15:38:22 -0700

>> 10.2, 10.3, or 11.0, please do let us know.

    This bug affects all versions. Please upgrade to the test images or
    use the workaround.

Dino

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 15:41:32 -0700

>> in older versions of IOS.

    Yes, all methods Bill mentioned are in all releases going back to 10.2(1).

Dino