Subject: Problem with mrouted/sdr on Digital Unix v4.0b?

From: Mike Iglesias <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 14:50:02 -0700

We have a system running Digital Unix v4.0b, which is running mrouted
v3.8 (from Digital) for one of our subnets.  All the systems on the subnet
can see the various mbone entries via sdr except the system running 
mrouted.  It sees nothing advertised in sdr.  Another system running
Digital Unix v3.2c sees lots of entries, as does a Sun running Solaris 2.5.1.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should look for?  mrouted is working, since
other systems are seeing the mbone broadcasts.  It appears that mrouted 
(or Digital Unix) is not passing the multicast packets to the system that
is running mrouted.

Mike Iglesias                        Internet:    [email-masked]
University of California, Irvine     phone:       (714) 824-6926
Office of Academic Computing         FAX:         (714) 824-2069

---

From: "Brian O'Shea" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 16:34:43 -0400

-
-We have a system running Digital Unix v4.0b, which is running mrouted
-v3.8 (from Digital) for one of our subnets.  All the systems on the subnet
-can see the various mbone entries via sdr except the system running 
-mrouted.  It sees nothing advertised in sdr.  Another system running
-Digital Unix v3.2c sees lots of entries, as does a Sun running Solaris 2.5.1.
-
-Anyone have any ideas on what I should look for?  mrouted is working, since
-other systems are seeing the mbone broadcasts.  It appears that mrouted 
-(or Digital Unix) is not passing the multicast packets to the system that
-is running mrouted.

More clearly stated, applications attempting to use multicast on a Digital
Unix Alpha platform don't work when mrouted is running.

I haven't had time to experiment with this, but that is what one of our
customers observed.  The multicasting on our product didn't appear to be
working for them, I tested it on our Digital Unix Alpha system, and it worked
fine for me.  The only difference was that they were running mrouted.  I asked
them to turn mrouted off, and voila, everything started working.

-bos

+***********************************************************************+
+ Brian O'Shea ([email-masked])			White Pine Software	+
+ Group Leader					542 Amherst St		+
+ Meeting Point Conferencing Server (MPCS)	Nashua NH, 03063	+
+ Phone: 603-886-9050				Fax: 603-886-9051	+
+		All it takes is all you've got.				+
+***********************************************************************+

---

From: Mike Iglesias <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 07:48:11 -0700

> Unix Alpha platform don't work when mrouted is running.

This is true under DU 4.0x.  Under DU 3.2c, this worked fine.