Subject: netmask command for mrouted3.9beta3

From: [email-masked] (Susanne Witschel)
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 16:00:05 +0200 (CES)

Hi there,
  I've got a problem setting the netmask specifically for mrouted; any help
  would be greatly appreciated. Couldn't find anything helpful on the
  manual page, so I ask You.

  Our University's class B net is segmented by non-multicasting routers. So,
  if I wish to connect two mrouteds in different segments, I need to tunnel.
  To do this without mrouted not starting at all, I need to change the netmask,
  in our case from ffff0000 to ffffff00. For one of our institutes, this
  creates quite a problem, as they "own" two sgements with machines on both
  segments using NFS; the ffffff00 netmask caused great performance losses.

  Now we've upgraded to mrouted3.9beta3 to be able to set the netmask speci-
  fically for the mrouteds, but this doesn't seem to work on either IRIX or
  Solaris; all we get is syntax errors for the line with the netmask command.
  We tried the command with and without a phyint and with several formats for
  the netmask. How exactly is that command used?

  Thanx, Susanne Witschel

-- 
 ;-)(-::-)(-88-O)-:;-)(-::-)(-88-O)-:;-)(-::-)(-88-O)-:;-)(-::-)(-88-O)-:;-)(-8
  Susanne Witschel                  Tel.: +49 (0)721 608-3784
  Universitaet Karlsruhe            
  Rechenzentrum                     e-mail: [email-masked]
  Zirkel 2
  76128 Karlsruhe
 (-::-)(-88-O)-:;-)(-::-)(-88-O)-:;-)(-::-)(-88-O)-:;-)(-::-)(-88-O)-:;-)(-8.^V