Subject: Mbone topology around Fix-West

From: Erik Sherk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 09:58:05 -0500

Hi,
	We are thinking about colocating at NASA/Ames. What does the
the mbone topology look like around there? This might be a change for
us to improve our mbone connectivity.

Erik

---

From: John Meylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 11:04:56 -0800

NASA Internet (out of Ames Research Center) currently maintains two mbone
routers with FDDI connections on the FIXWest portion of the FIX/MAE-West 
facility.  These routers are mbone.nsi.nasa.gov and mbone2.nsi.nasa.gov.
Both routers are providing DVMRP tunnels to various sites in the Internet.
 My preference on moving forward is to pursue a native routing model over 
the FIX/MAE-West. In the interim, I am trying to consolidate multiple 
tunnels to any single resident on the FIX/MAE-West and implement a "one 
tunnel-to-one-resident" approach.  This will actually bring some efficiencies
initially, but will not scale to the anticipated scope of the FIX/MAE-West.
 I am currently working on mrouting ideas with FIX/MAE-West management out of 
the External Interface Office here at Ames.  All constructive input is welcome.

- John Meylor

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 12:06:23 PST

In message <[email-masked]> you write:
>the FIX/MAE-West.

I have to strongly agree, that the best way to scale inter-provider
multicast connectivity is by using native multicast.  Using the network
instead of the CPU to do the packet duplication is an insanely big win
and allows much higher fanouts.

  Bill

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 12:36:08 -0800

>> and allows much higher fanouts.

    I third the motion.

Dino