Subject: Multicast, SunOS 4.1.3_U1, and Sun FastEthernet

From: John Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 09:35:49 -0800

I'm looking for any help, thoughts, assistance.

SunOS 4.1.3_U1
Xerox Parc IPMULTI 3.5
Sun FastEthernet driver

Sun is still using the addmultiaddr and delmultiaddr calls in their
SunOS drivers, so similar to the FDDI problems of the past, the SunOS
driver and the multicast patches result in a kernel which won't like
due to undefined symbols.

Is anyone else doing this, trying this, or has fixed this? I've
escalated it with Sun, and that is *not* going smoothly at all. If
nothing else, I'd like to build a business case for it.

Please respond to [email-masked]   -- thx for any and all help.

--J
	
John Stewart       Systems Administrator/Web Developer  Email: [email-masked]
Adv. Customer Systems       Where no one                Phone: +1.408.526.8499
Cisco Systems, Inc.       has gone before...            FAX:   +1.408.526.8787

---

From: Matt Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 12:40:55 -0600

John,

I have the Sun 100bT card also.  (Device "be0" -- I hear Sun is
making a different one now.)  There are multicast versions of
if_bqe.o and if_qec.o in the multicast "release3.5" directory.

However, with these drivers, whenever I join or leave a multicast
group, I can hear a relay click on the 100bT board and the interface
goes down and up.  This was on a Grand Junction switch, whatever you
lot are calling that box now.
					Matt