Subject: Re: Connected sites?

From: [email-masked] (Kevin C. Almeroth)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 14:10:07 -0500 (EST)

>>netstat dumps only the entries on multicast routing table.
>>in order to count all mrouters ( possibly there are routers' which
>>never generated packets, so do not appear on the routing table ),
>>you could do map-mbone. the information on the web suggested by Piete
>>is essentially same as the output of map-mbone. ( more comprehensive!)
>>
>>maybe... we can count mrouters, but cannot count MBONE-connect hosts. :(

Exactly the point I was trying to make using the term like "site".  We
can't count MBone-connected hosts, but can we do more than mrouters?

-Kevin Almeroth

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 12:49:06 PST

>Recall that the number of entires in the routing table just gives you a hunch
>of how many networks that is connected to Mbone

How is this?  The number of entries in the routing table gives you the
number of subnets connected to the MBone (3100 as of this morning, 2500
as of this afternoon - wonder who dropped out).  Piete's data gives you
an estimate (remember that Piete's collection can't gather information
about non-unicast reachable mrouters) of the number of routers in the
network.

  Bill

---

From: Arlie Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 16:24:29 -0500

Don't forget that connecting networks via PIM distorts things, depending on how you inject the routes into the DVMRP routing domain.  If you inject a route that covers several subnets, then the count of DVMRP routes is less than the count of real subnets...

----------
From: 	Bill Fenner
Sent: 	Monday, February 12, 1996 3:49 PM
To: 	[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: 	[email-masked]
Subject: 	Re: Connected sites?

  Bill