Subject: Mrouted warning message ...

From: Lih-Er Wey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 15:24:29 -0400

Hope some one can shed some light on this...
I have a SUN running mrouted 3.8 and having a tunnel set up to a CISCO
2500 series with IOS 11.2.
It seems all work fine except that mrouted always having waring message
putting out every couple of seconds.
Here is the sample waring message from /var/message.

Oct  9 13:41:55 mbone-gw mrouted[2117]: warning - duplicate prune
received on vif 5 from 35.x.x.x for (129.128.7.238 224.2.1.1)/300 old
timer: 295 cur gm: 0
Oct  9 13:42:00 mbone-gw mrouted[2117]: warning - duplicate prune
received on vif 5 from 35.x.x.x  for (128.102.132.150 224.2.161.25)/300
old timer: 295 cur gm: 0
Oct  9 13:42:14 mbone-gw mrouted[2117]: logging too fast, shutting up
for 10 minutes
Oct  9 13:52:24 mbone-gw mrouted[2117]: warning - duplicate prune
received on vif 5 from 35.x.x.x for (199.233.217.10 224.2.145.55)/300
old timer: 300 cur gm: 0
Oct  9 13:52:24 mbone-gw mrouted[2117]: warning - duplicate prune
received on vif 5 from 35.x.x.x for (199.233.217.10 224.2.127.2)/300 old
timer: 300 cur gm: 0
Oct  9 13:52:25 mbone-gw mrouted[2117]: warning - duplicate prune
received on vif 5 from 35.x.x.x for (146.246.243.37 224.2.240.123)/300
old timer: 300 cur gm: 0
Oct  9 13:52:28 mbone-gw mrouted[2117]: warning - duplicate prune
received on vif 5 from 35.x.x.x  for (129.174.216.97 224.2.168.1)/300
old timer: 300 cur gm: 0

During 13:43 the cisco multicast routing table show about 10739 routes
which is too high.
Can somebody explain how the duplicate prune means and what is the
impact here. If the
group really got pruned at all.
Thanks