Subject: Solaris 2.6 Performance Problems.

From: Len Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 00:02:03 -0400 (EDT)

Recently I've had some bad experience with implementing mbone tools on
 Solaris 2.6 .. This has been disappointing at best. Using SunVideo
 hardware and vic 2.8 we haven't been able to push it much beyond 2.6 
 fps vs 16 fps using identical hardware. In fact, a Solaris 2.51 
 SS20 (2x75mhz) is outperforming a Solaris 2.6 Ultra2 (2x167) in terms of
 delivered frame rates. This has been tested in local session announcements
 as well as regional to eliminate any network-related issues. Since I do
 alot of video conferencing (transmitting) this is fatal.

 I've installed Sun patch 105570-02 tonight, with no difference in
 this regard. 

 There are no errors, or other symptoms of any problems.

 I'm very disappointed.. Does anyone have any ideas?

 Len

[email-masked]
http://www.netsys.com

---

From: David Comay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 22:23:47 -0700 (PDT)

Which version of the vic binary are you using: vic.xil (which uses the
XIL library and is more portable) or vic (which access the SunVideo and
other supported video cards directly and is much faster).  The former
works out of the box on Solaris 2.6 but the latter has a hard-coded
path which is no longer correct for 2.6.  The easiest thing to do for
this problem is add the link:

	# ln -s /usr/openwin/lib/xil/devhandlers/xilIO_SUNWrtvc_ucode.a \
		/opt/SUNWits/Graphics-sw/xil/lib/pipelines/xilSUNWrtvc_ucode.a

or for those without root access, just create the link in the directory
from which you run the vic binary.

If you're not sure of the version of vic you have, you can run ldd on
the binary and see if the XIL libraries show up:

vic:
	libintl.so.1 =>	 /usr/lib/libintl.so.1
	libXext.so.0 =>	 /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.so.0
	libX11.so.4 =>	 /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.so.4
	libsocket.so.1 =>	 /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
	libnsl.so.1 =>	 /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
	libdl.so.1 =>	 /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
	libm.so.1 =>	 /usr/lib/libm.so.1
	libc.so.1 =>	 /usr/lib/libc.so.1
	libmp.so.2 =>	 /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
vic.xil:
	libintl.so.1 =>	 /usr/lib/libintl.so.1
	libXext.so.0 =>	 /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.so.0
	libX11.so.4 =>	 /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.so.4
	libsocket.so.1 =>	 /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
	libnsl.so.1 =>	 /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
	libdl.so.1 =>	 /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
	libxil.so.1 =>	 /usr/openwin/lib/libxil.so.1
	libm.so.1 =>	 /usr/lib/libm.so.1
	libc.so.1 =>	 /usr/lib/libc.so.1
	libmp.so.2 =>	 /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
	xiliUtils.so.2 =>	 /usr/openwin/lib/xil/utils/xiliUtils.so.2
	libpthread.so.1 =>	 /usr/lib/libpthread.so.1
	libowconfig.so.0 =>	 /usr/openwin/lib/libowconfig.so.0
	libthread.so.1 =>	 /usr/lib/libthread.so.1

Cheers,

dsc

---

From: Len Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 01:33:29 -0400 (EDT)

I've tried both versions, thanks.. 

I'm not making it up.. duplicate hardware, abysmal performance on 
Solaris 2.6..

> path which is no longer correct for 2.6. 

[snip]

(solaris 2.6)

RTVC: Driver version 1.124 modified 96/12/06; compiled Jun 27 1997 at 17:23:30
rtvc0: DVMA not supported with this rev of compression engine: B1
rtvc0: compression engine rev. B1; asic rev. 2; Philips 7191; board rev. SUNW,501-2232-03REV50
SUNW,rtvc0 at sbus0: SBus slot 3 0x0 and SBus slot 3 0x10000 and SBus slot 3 0x20000 and SBus slot 3 0x30000 and SBus slot 3 0x40000 and SBus slot 3 0x400000 SBus level 5 sparc ipl 9
SUNW,rtvc0 is /iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/SUNW,rtvc@3,0

(solaris 2.5.1)

RTVC: Driver version 1.122 modified 94/06/02; compiled Feb  9 1996 at 15:24:43
rtvc0: DVMA not supported with this rev of compression engine: B1
rtvc0: compression engine rev. B1; asic rev. 2; Philips 7191; board rev. SUNW,50
1-2232-03REV50
SUNW,rtvc0 at sbus0: SBus slot 2 0x0 and SBus slot 2 0x10000 and SBus slot 2 0x2
0000 and SBus slot 2 0x30000 and SBus slot 2 0x40000 and SBus slot 2 0x400000 SB
us level 5 sparc ipl 9
SUNW,rtvc0 is /iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/SUNW,rtvc@2,0