Subject: Problems getting mrouted working under IRIX 5.3

From: "S. Grant" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:56:51 -0500

Actually, we are having problems getting the kernel patches implemented.

------

	I copied the files in
	place from irix53-multicast-include.tar and did a kernel rebuild
	but stated kernel was already current, i.e.

	# /etc/autoconfig -v
	exprobed kdsp_a2 unit 0
	if_gtr, unit 0 exprobe failed
	if_gtr, unit 0 exprobe failed
	if_xpi, unit 2 exprobe failed
	if_xpi, unit 0 exprobe failed
	if_xpi, unit 1 exprobe failed
	if_eg2, unit 1 exprobe failed
	if_eg2, unit 2 exprobe failed
	wd95, unit 0 exprobe failed
	kernel already current

	I did a "/etc/autoconfig -vf" to force it to build a new kernel but
	the new kernel did not change.

	By the way, mrouted 3.8 still complains about the kernel being
	old so I'm not sure why the kernel is not recompling a new one
	since I put the files from irix53-multicast-include.tar in the
	correct directories.  

------

Ideas anyone?  

Thanks in Advance,
-Shirl Grant
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center

---

From: John Hawkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 15:38:42 -0500 (EST)

> 	but stated kernel was already current, i.e.

There's your problem -- irix53-multicast-include.tar is not kernel
patches for irix 5.3 -- rather, it's just the multicast include files
for building ancillary software (eg: mtrace) that uses multicast
features.  It's meant as a supliment to the actual kernel patches,
which exist in IRIX5.3/mrouted3.6.tar.Z (or mrouted3.8.tar.Z from
ftp.sgi.com:/sgi/ipmcast/IRIX5/5/3).

mrouted3.6.tar.Z contains the kernel patches you need, but the wrong
version of mrouted, so if you grab that, you also need to get mrouted 3.8
(sounds like you already have it).

--jhawk