Subject: Vic color map problem

From: "Guy Troy Holder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 15:25:42 -0400

Here at NC State we are setting up a distance education facility using vic,
vat, and wb. We are running into a colormap problem with vic. We are using a
Sun Ultra 1 with an 8 bit graphics card and when all of the tools are running a
new color placed in front of the camera can cause the video to be changed to
grey. Does anyone know of a way to fix this problem short of a new video card?
Sun has informed us that we would have to change to a new Ultra with the
Creator graphics to have more colors. This is not a possible due to budget
constaints.

-- 

Troy Holder	[email-masked]
Distance Education Research Assistant
North Carolina State University

---

From: Peter Parnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 21:34:05 +0200

Well, you could by a new third party 24-bit graphics card. 

Southland have one for $795. 
http://www.slmedia.com/

Disclaimer: I have nothing to with Southland and I haven't actually used/seen 
the card in question.

/P

---

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 20:33:56 -0700

> Creator graphics to have more colors. This is not a possible due to budget

Get a PC.  A Pentim 166 and run FreeBSD it is kind of hard to beat in terms
of price . The video capture boards are dropping in price . One 
of the FreeBSDers told me about a plain Bt848 video card which he bought
for $69 . Nowdays, in PC land you can get a decent video controller 
for about $200 -- 4M vram true color . The total system cost should
be around $1500 .

	Cheers,
	Amancio