Subject: sdr for NT 4.0

From: "Alan J. Flavell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 19:09:32 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

We were discussing the question of sdr for NT 4.0, which was also of
interest to me.  I've done some hunting around and here's what I've
found.  I'm addressing this to the MBone list for comment, with BCC to
yourself in case you don't want your address to be circulated (there's
so much junk mail around these days...).  Take care when you reply ;-)

Most of the references that I found, for example at
http://www.merit.edu/net-research/mbone/index/platforms.html ,
 to sdr say explicitly that the version doesn't work under NT4.0. 
Some of the ones that I had tried, started up but didn't seem to have
any sessions visible.  Then I found a version that claimed to be for
NT, but turned out to be called nt_sdr_v2_1a1_05.zip; I tried it,
just to see what happened, and it displayed some sessions, but the
formats seemed to be wrong and it refused to actually start anything
up.  So I suppose it was an obsolete version.  Also during these
investigations I had found several different and mutually incompatible
sets of DLLs all calling themselves Tcl75.dll and Tk41.dll. I got
quite depressed at that point. Then I remembered dejanews...  and it
found a couple of quite recent articles archived from this mailing
list (that I had somehow missed or forgotten), which sent me off to
the Berkeley MASH project.  So, off to
http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/mash/software/download.html for a
copy, which I installed as directed.

B.t.w my search string at www.dejanews.com was 
    sdr & nt & ~g at.mail.mbone

Now it complained that it couldn't find MSVCRTD.dll.  Neither could I,
but I did have MSVCRT40.dll, so I tried copying that to MSVCRTD.dll,
and then things seemed to work.  Apart from the calendar.

Well, you had already mentioned problems with the calendar.  The
winsdr22.zip distribution which can be found at
ftp://cs.ucl.ac.uk/mice/sdr/winsdr22.zip contains a file called
cal.exe, and this was already in my MBone directory, so that explains
why I hadn't seen problems with the calendar.  It seems this program
has been (accidentally?) omitted from later packagings of sdr.  If you
get a copy of this old version and unpack it into a temporary
directory, you can copy/move the cal.exe file to an appropriate place. 
I placed a copy onto the path that MASH was using, and then I found
that the MASH version of sdr (rsdr.exe) was able to run the calendar
function.

So, for this purpose it's looking as if you should go for the MASH
package.

However, on 1998/03/02, Victor Reijs reported he was using sdr from
UCL ok under NT 4.0.  Unfortunately he does not say what version this
is nor exactly were he got it from; none of the UCL versions seemed to
work for me, or else I've missed the right one. 

All corrections gratefully accepted, I'm no expert on any of this and
am just muddling through on the basis of the clues that I find on the
web.

Good luck

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 16:34:39 -0500

>found.

We're pretty much ready to release sdr 2.5a2 (we did plan to release
it this week, but found some more bugs - probably it will happen just
after next week's IETF when everyone gets home).

The people at UCL have been doing a good job of ensuring it works
properly on both Windows 95 and NT 4.0.  Also included will be fixed
encryption support and a SIP implementation that (I hope) corresponds
with the current spec.  We'll mail the list when it is released...

>has been (accidentally?) omitted from later packagings of sdr.

Actually it's more complicated (and embarrassing) that that.  Later
versions of sdr do all the calendar functionality internally - they
don't need cal at all.  Except somehow the line exec'ing cal wasn't
removed.  On Unix you don't notice this (it just ignores the results
cal produces), but Windows barfs.  So later versions of sdr will
produce the calendar so long as any program called cal.exe can be
executed!  Needless to say this is fixed in sdr 2.5.  :-)

Cheers,
	Mark

---

From: Victor Reijs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:56:09 +0100

Hello Alan,

> work for me, or else I've missed the right one.

I am using v2.4a6i. I think the best way is ask UCL for this version (I
am using a package they are making at this moment, so I don't know if
this is already public!).
I first has some problems with my videograbber (winnov) but that is
solved having a new driver (build 422) for this card on NT4.0. Now
vic/sdr/vat/rat works and quiet stable under NT.

All the best,

Victor

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 16:28:56 +0100

>this is already public!).

Not quite yet, although I expect we could make it available for those who
need it urgently. However, since there will be a 2.5a2 release sometime
soon (probably next week, after the IETF...), and this adds private
announcements and a compliant SIP implementation, you might want to wait
and try that version instead.

-- 
Colin Perkins                   Email: [email-masked]
Department of Computer Science  Phone: (+44) 171 419 3666
University College London       WWW  : http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/c.perkins/

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 20:35:28

FYI, for those of you who are willing to try a different browser from
"sdr", the "multikit" session browser now has a version that runs on
Windows NT (& 95), as well as versions for several Unix platforms.  You can
download "multikit" from <http://www.lvn.com/multikit/>.

(Caveat: multikit's SDP browser is currently read-only, so if you want to
announce SDP sessions, you'll have to use another tool (e.g., sdr).  This
restriction - due primarily to paranoia on my part - will eventually be
removed.)

	Ross.

ps. multikit also has a UMTP implementation built in, so you can use it to
access the MBone from a PC with a non-multicast-routed Internet connection
(i.e., while you're waiting for your ISP to upgrade their routers to
support multicast).