Subject: what would this mean ?

From: Yiorgos Adamopoulos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:18:28 +0300

[ excuse the ignorance ]

>From mtrace sometimes I am getting:

... PIM  thresh^ 0  Unknown error code 8 Round trip time 36 ms

What would that mean?

--
Yiorgos Adamopoulos               -- #include <std/disclaimer.h>
mailto: [email-masked] -- Network Operations Center, NTUA, GREECE

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Hall)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 12:14:46 -0400 (EDT)

This is an MBGP route.  Join the masses in PLEADING Bill Fenner to include
the correct bits in mtrace.h and mtrace.c.

It is an easy hack if you're interested.

_J

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 12:23:34 -0400 (EDT)

> ... PIM  thresh^ 0  Unknown error code 8 Round trip time 36 ms

It means you're running an old version of mtrace :)

Error code 8 is "Hit RP/core".

-Dave

---

From: "Alan J. Flavell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 20:00:04 +0100 (BST)

> It means you're running an old version of mtrace :)

Is that a technical term for "non-beta version"?  ;-)

> Error code 8 is "Hit RP/core".

Well, the one here says this:

..
-12  dec3800-1-fddi-1.WillowSprings.mci.net (204.70.104.45)  DVMRP thresh^ 1
-13  dec3800-2-fddi-0.SanFrancisco.mci.net (204.70.158.61)  DVMRP thresh^ 1
-14  eugene-isp.nero.net (166.48.14.6)  Unknown protocol code 8 thresh^ 64
-15  uo-eugene.nero.net (207.98.66.14)  PIM  thresh^ 0  Reached RP/Core

Or is that a different "8" that we're seeing there?

%  mtrace -V
mtrace version 5.1

Hmmm, I have the feeling I've been around this loop before.

Your web page points to the www.merit.edu/net-research/mbone/ area,
where we are informed that mtrace is part of the mrouted distribution.

However, Bill Fenner announced in Dec 1996 that mtrace had been split
off from mrouted, and offered the above version (5.1) on the
ftp.parc.xerox.com server.  I don't see a newer mtrace, even in beta,
although there is a newer mrouted in beta, of course (I retrieved a
copy to see whether a newer mtrace was inside - it wasn't). 

I had an interesting exchange of email with Bill Fenner in Nov 1997
about bugs in the handling of time values in the OSF/1 version of
mtrace 5.1, but I don't see any released version with the fixes
incorporated.  Am I still looking in the wrong places?

best regards

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 15:28:54 -0400 (EDT)

> Or is that a different "8" that we're seeing there?

Yes, it's a different 8.  The protocol code and the error code are
two different fields.  An error code of 8 is "Reached RP/Core".

A protocol code of 8 is something else (not PIM).

> where we are informed that mtrace is part of the mrouted distribution.

[email-masked] is maintaining this page now, I'll let him know this
needs to be updated.

-Dave