Subject: Re: Raising the bar on the MBone

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 19:02:56 +0300 (EEST)

At 22:35 5.8.1997 -0400, Bob Quinn wrote:
>
>Speaking as an unwashed mass, I sure wish I had something 
>worthwhile to fill this 1.5Mbps cable modem feed that I have 
>into my home (from MediaOne in Boston).  Some interactive IETF 
>"tv" live from Munich would be nice, for instance.
>
This is slowly vandering off the topic but I'm just curious whether your
cable provider supports IP multicast?

Pete

---

From: Bob Quinn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 14:58:05 -0400

At 07:02 PM 8/6/97 +0300, Petri Helenius wrote:
>This is slowly vandering off the topic 

I'm not so sure it's *too* far off-topic.  There was a 
question whether Joe Consumer has the bandwidth to handle 
any MBone traffic, and my point is that he may. 

>but I'm just curious whether your

Unfortunately, no.  I bug them on a regular basis about it, 
and they keep saying, "we're looking into it."   I'm sure that
the @Home trials and MCI/Progressive Networks announcment will
make them look a little closer.

Interesting that the LANCity modem's MIB has toggles for
filtering IGMP reports, and generating an SNMP trap when 
one is detected.  It also keeps track of the number of
reports that it filters (not sure which direction).  But
that really *is* getting off-topic.  :-)

bq

---

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 17:44:12 -0700

> any MBone traffic, and my point is that he may. 

Point well taken the question now is how much is it costing 
you?

Me, I am just green with envy 8)

	Regards,
	Amancio

---

From: Bob Quinn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 22:52:34 -0400

>Point well taken the question now is how much is it costing 

In February, I paid $100 for installation and $50 to add a 2nd 
NIC.  Until July, it cost $60 per month (it would have been $50, 
if I were also a cable tv subscriber).

Between May and July, MediaOne changed their name (from Highway1), 
lowered both prices by $10, eliminated the installation fee, 
and started a newspaper, television and radio advertising blitz.

I am definately a happy customer.  It works!  I have never
been off-line, nor have I noticed any degradation of service
as they've added more subscribers (sorry, but I don't know
the numbers).  I just want two things:
 - domain support and a block of addresses, so I can dump 
    my other ISP (which goes down *often*).
 - native multicast support (i.e. an MBone feed)

bq