Subject: mrouted 3.8.1 for linux

From: "RZ Dietmar Rahlfs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 08:29:32 +0100

Hello,

I am looking for the programmer who ported mrouted 3.8 to
linux. The reason is that my linux mrouter doesnt send
join packets to the next mbone router and therefore
receives no data. After having configured the next
mbone router to explicetely deliver data to our linux
mrouter we will received data (audio, video). But
then the next mbone router will send ceaselessly.

Do you know something about the problem or know a
programmer or expert to ask?

Thank you very much

Dietmar Rahlfs

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Hall)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 03:40:02 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Please ensure you have a recent kernel. Some patches were submitted some
time ago that fix many mrouting problems. Use tcpdump to see if you are
sending icmp messages to your neighboring mrouter. If you are, you
probably want to install the ipip module. This will allow you to
encapsulate ipinip packets.  In a dense mode tunnel, another symptom is
that you are flooded with traffic. Your mrouted box must prune back the
traffic. Give this a shot.

Your kernel part, evident in a dmesg, should say linux multicast routing
0.8 or later.

Good luck.

_J