Subject: Re: Questions on implementing multicasting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:39:57 -0800 (PST)

> The main gated multicast web page is:
>   http://www.gated.org/new_web/code/code/gated-multi/code.html
> 
> An "Academic and Research License" (see the link from the page above)
> is available free to anyone who doesn't plan to redistribute it for
> money, or use it in a production ISP environment (check the license
> for more details).  Any personal or testbed use is free.

Dave, 

Thanks for clarifying this.  The Web page and other 
documentation sound rather Draconian.  

I do realize that Merit/UofM lawyers want to be careful 
to make people realize that they are not agreeing to 
supply free support and that gated is not a "product".
The agreement comes across as onerous, though.  I'm glad
to hear that it isn't really so bad.  I wonder if they
could come up with a simplified version for individuals?

> > version of gated is gated-3.5.7 (same as gated-3-5-7).  
> 
> gated-3.5.7 does not support functional multicast, and includes buggy 
> and non-spec-compliant sample code for pim and dvmrp.

Again, thank you for the elaboration and correction.
 
> gated-5.0 (the version available via the URL I listed) does include:
> DVMRPv3, PIM-SMv2, PIM-DMv2, IGMPv2, and support for mtrace and mrinfo.

While we are on the subject, it believe it also supports SNMP.
How extensive is it?  (e.g. Is it similar to mrouted 3.8.2?)
What about running an SNMP daemon, such as UCD-SNMP, simultaneously?

-Hugh LaMaster

  Hugh LaMaster, M/S 258-5,     ASCII Email:  [email-masked]
  NASA Ames Research Center     Or:           [email-masked]
  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000  No Junkmail:  USC 18 section 2701
  Phone:  415/604-1056          Disclaimer:   Unofficial, personal *opinion*.

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 12:55:16 -0500 (EST)

> could come up with a simplified version for individuals?

I don't claim to be a lawyer, but from my understanding, Merit is
being somewhat liberal in who can get an "Academic and Research" 
license.  (I try to stay out of licensing discussions though :)

> How extensive is it?  (e.g. Is it similar to mrouted 3.8.2?)

Yes, gated-5.0 supports the igmp, ip multicast, pim, and dvmrp mibs
(in addition to other mibs which aren't related to multicast).

> What about running an SNMP daemon, such as UCD-SNMP, simultaneously?

The SNMP support currently included with gated-5.0 is based off code 
somewhere between CMU and UCD and is a standalone snmp agent.  The 
intention is to move completely to the newest UCD code base, which 
supports (the obsolete) SMUX.  I don't know exactly when Merit will 
get to this, but we'd happily accept contributed code if anyone else 
does it first :)  UCD supposedly plans on doing AgentX, and gated will 
support agentx as soon as ucd does.

-Dave

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 19:36:03 +0100 (MET)

Dave Thaler wrote:

> > money,

I read it yesterday, and what I read about redistribution rather sounds like...
... you may resdistribute it to anybody who got a license from Merit anyway.
Did I read this wrongly?

	-is