Subject: Setting up Mbone in India

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 96 16:46 IST

Dear Mr Donald P. Brutzman

Thanks a lot for taking out time to send a mail to me.

[considerate compliments deleted..]

I will be thankful if you could answer to some of my elementary doubts about
Mbone setup. Pl. donot mind if you find that the questions are very trivial.

1)      NIC (the Network company for which I am working) has a 64 Kbps
direct lease line going from our Cisco router in New Delhi and directly
terminating at Sprint router in New York. If this circuit can be dedicated
exclusively for Mbone setup then can Mbone be made operational on this
single 64 kbps link to Sprint, NewYork?

2)      NIC has another 256 kbps link to Internet but this circuit is not a
dedicated link for NIC but NIC's 256 kbps link is  going through another
router of VSNL in New Delhi which in turn is connected to MCI on a 2 Mbps
link from VSNL router to MCI router. In this case how do we ensure that the
tunnel which we setup from MCI to NIC router will always have a capacity of
256 kbps. In other words my doubt is how does minimum bandwidth is
guarenteed to a tunnel on internet which passes thru so many routers of
different service providers.

3)      I could down load from Internet a map of Mbone routers in 20
countries as of May 1994 complied by you. Is ther any updated map or a list
of all current mbone routers in the world today ? This will help me in
locating the nearest Mbone router on which I can have a chance to connect
for getting Mbone feed.

4)      NIC is very keen to get Mbone feed in India and participate in the
events which are broadcast over Mbone, Would it be possible for me to get
e-mail of some Mbone Service provider who can help me in setting up the
tunnel and configuring relevent hardware and software in our Sun Sparc 20 to
receive Mbone feed.

In the end I would like to mention that I am really fascinated by this
field. I have been working in the area of Multimedia Technology and Video
Conferencing till now and this area seems to be very very interesting.

With warm regards

Rajesh Gera

At 10:47 PM 4/10/96 -0700, you wrote:
>
>-- 
>Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code UW/Br Root 200  work 408.656.2149
>  "MBone Provides Audio and Video Across the Internet"
>      Michael R. Macedonia and Donald P. Brutzman
> _IEEE COMPUTER_, vol. 27 no. 4, pp. 30-36, April 1994. 
>
>PostScript, text, and hypertext versions of this article are available as 
>ftp://taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil/pub/i3la/mbone.ps 
>ftp://taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil/pub/i3la/mbone.txt
>ftp://taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil/pub/i3la/mbone.html
>
>IP address of taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil is 131.120.1.13
>
>We wrote this article for two reasons.  The first was to clarify
>terminology and technical questions about how the MBone works.
>The second was to help people get their sites connected and use
>the tools more effectively.  Hopefully the article is of value
>in these respects to you.
>
>Mike and I again wish to thank the originators of the MBone tools and 
>the dozens of MBone users who provided essential contributions
>to this article. 
>
>Pointers to additional resources can be found at
>ftp://taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil/pub/mosaic/mbone.html
>http://www.eit.com/techinfo/mbone/
>
>A great book is now available:
> 
>Kumar, Vinay, _MBone: Interactive Multimedia on the Internet_, New Riders   
>Publishing, Indianapolis Indiana, 1996.  ISBN 1-56205-397-3.
>(U.S.) Library of Congress QA76.76.I59K85
>    
-- 
Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code UW/Br Root 200  work 408.656.2149
              Monterey California 93943-5000 USA              fax  408.656.3679
Virtual worlds/underwater robots/Internet http://www.stl.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman