Subject: multicasts to/from ISDN-only attached Solaris box

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 08:29:33 +1000

We have somebody with a SPARC 5 at home connecting back via ISDN. the
le0 interface has been disabled and is not visible to ifconfig, so the
box only has lo0 and ipdtp0, which is a PPP instance using a /30 network
to provide an A and B end address.

mrouted starts fine, and we have added a phyint clause to bind multicast
to the A (local) end of the PPP link.

USR1 and USR2 and mrouted -d 9 show that there is a match on inbound and
outbound packetflow, and we can see membership reports flowing, but
no user-time multicast packetflow is visible on the box. pings to the
session address fail, mtest binding doesn't cause propagation of membership
reports to be visible anywhere.

mrinfo reports the link is up and mtrace is able to track full routes to
other multicast locations.

sdr refuses to run saying it can't bind to requested address.

There are at least 3 candidates for filtering in the loop, being a cisco
and host-level ipfiltering on each mrouted instance, but  we have enabled
IP type 2 packet forwarding and UDP forward for each net, and nothing is
being logged as blocked.

Any ideas? is there some weird magic to enable this stuff on PPP links
we've missed?

-George

--
George Michaelson         |  connect.com.au pty/ltd
Email: [email-masked] |  c/o AAPT,
Phone: +61 7 3834 9976    |  level 8, the Riverside Centre,
  Fax: +61 7 3834 9908    |  123 Eagle St, Brisbane QLD 4000