Subject: OS patches for IP Multicast

From: Patrick De Muynck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 13:02:24 +0200

Are there still any upgrades or patches needed (e.g. IGMP related) in
order to run IP Multicast applications on recent PC / workstation OSes ?
(no need to do any *multicast routing*, these are only used to run
applications)

I have:

Win95:                 it is advised to install winsock2.2 for Win95
Solaris 2.4, ...:      no patches needed

I don't have:

Linux, FreeBSD, WinNT: can anybody help me out there ?
                       What's the minimum OS release / service pack needed?

Thanks,

Patrick De Muynck

BELNET, the Belgian National Research Network

[email-masked]  |	DWTC - BELNET
Tel : +32/2/238.36.76	    |	Wetenschapsstraat, 4
Fax : +32/2/513.57.30	    |	B-1000 Brussel

NIC handle : PDM18-RIPE

---

From: Yozo Toda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:02:05 +0900

> Solaris 2.4, ...:      no patches needed

not necessary but applying the patch
    ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/multicast/Solaris_mc35.2.4.tar.gz
solaris kernel comply with igmp v2. (I believe...)

I tried winsock2.2 upgrade for Win95 (Japanese version) and
found that I cannot setup IP address manually
(dhcp still functions, so, not so big problem).
anyone see this problem?

-- yozo.

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:34:12 +0200 (MET DST)

>                        What's the minimum OS release / service pack needed?

FreeBSD, NetBSD, BSD-OS (all the 4.4BSD-derived OSes) have Multicast (and
DVMRP Multicast-routing) capabilities out of the box. 

The latest official releases should conform to current standards.

Regards,
	-is

---

From: Yozo Toda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:54:42 +0900

> DVMRP Multicast-routing) capabilities out of the box. 

OpenBSD 2.2 GENERIC kernel is compiled without multicast routing capability;
you should re-compile the kernel with "option MROUTING" added
to the kernel config file when you want to use it as a multicast router.
(the most recent release is 2.3 which I don't yet try.)

I wonder NetBSD is in the similar situation?

-- yozo.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Mah)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:29:26 -0700

> I wonder NetBSD is in the similar situation?

Don't know about NetBSD, but FreeBSD is similar.  It speaks IP multicast "out 
of the box", but it needs "options MROUTING" in its kernel configuration to 
enable multicast packet forwarding.

Bruce.

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 16:38:48 +0200 (MET DST)

> I wonder NetBSD is in the similar situation?

Yes... but thats why you get the OS sources and the compiler.

	-is

---

From: Yozo Toda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 00:12:26 +0900

> enable multicast packet forwarding.

FreeBSD 2.X FAQ 10.15 "How do I enable IP multicast support?" suggests
you need only the loadable kernel module.
looks like re-compilation is not necessary in this case?

-- yozo.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Mah)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 11:42:15 -0700

> looks like re-compilation is not necessary in this case?

Hmmm.  You're right in that the FAQ does say this, but:

hornet:bmah% uname -s -r
FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE
hornet:bmah% ls /lkm/ip_mroute_mod.o
ls: /lkm/ip_mroute_mod.o: No such file or directory

And, in the kernel configuration file:

hornet:bmah% grep MROUTING LINT
# MROUTING enables the kernel multicast packet forwarder, which works
options         MROUTING                # Multicast routing

Bruce.

---

From: Jimmy Kyriannis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:41:04 -0400

Solaris versions prior to 2.6 required the ip multicast 3.5 kernel support,
which Yozo mentioned is on playground.sun.com.  Solaris 2.6 appears to have
the necessary code, as mrouted compiled without any difficulties.

Jimmy

---

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:36:52 -0700

The problem is that when needed we can install the system from a 
single floppy. 

On FreeBSD we can boot from a CDROM and I am going to try to 
convince the FreeBSD team that at least the CDROM version of
the kernel to have the option MROUTING enable .

	Amancio