Subject: more RINT/TINT error messages!

From: "Jonathan Heiliger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 17:14:04 -0800

About 3wks ago I reported a problem when having the ipmulti v3.5 kernel patches
installed on a Sun IPX running SunOS 4.1.3_U1.  Unfortunately, these error
messages are still happening to no avail. :(

I've tried various patches, the most obvious being 102143-01 which is the jumbo
Ethernet patch.  Generally I'm only receiving the error message on the Ethernet
interface which is conducting the most multicast traffic (e.g. on the LAN where
there are other mrouters)

le0 is the internal Ethernet
le1 is a single port LANCE Ethernet expansion card

I'm still looking for comments/suggestions/ideas.. ;-)  thanks!

Jan  4 20:09:02 wdcmon vmunix: le2: TINT but buffer owned by LANCE
Jan  4 20:09:02 wdcmon vmunix: le1: RINT but buffer owned by LANCE

-jh-

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 18:38:45 PST

>Jan  4 20:09:02 wdcmon vmunix: le1: RINT but buffer owned by LANCE

Have you tried using the if_le.o.patch from the multicast distribution?

It is effectively Sun patch 101954 (or 102430 for the 4.1.4 version) and
has a minor fix that could help with the loss of synchronization.

Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to test and debug this, so
if the patch doesn't fix it then I'm at a loss.  (I'm already at a loss
to explain why it happens only with the multicast code if_le and not with
the base SunOS if_le driver).

  Bill

---

From: Syngen Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 96 12:09:37 GMT

> has a minor fix that could help with the loss of synchronization.

I have tried this patch (for 4.1.4) and it does not resolve the
problem.  It has been reported that the problem may be fixed by
substituting the if_le.o driver from the 3.3 multicast release.  This
does not however work for 4.1.4.  I have yet to try it with 4.1.3_U1B.

> the base SunOS if_le driver).

I suspected that this may be the case.  Perhaps someone could loan
Bill one of the sbus cards in question?
 
>   Bill

Syngen

---

From: Jonathan Heiliger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 11:18:12 -0800 (PST)

> does not however work for 4.1.4.  I have yet to try it with 4.1.3_U1B.

I tried it with 4.1.3_U1B and it most definately didn't solve the 
problem.  The kernel build process actually completely ruptured.

> Bill one of the sbus cards in question?

Not a bad idea, but would Bill have time to work on it? :) 

Bill: you mentioned awhile ago that PARC's MBone architecture is built on 
multi-homed Sparc workstations.  Are they using the 4-port (qe) Ethernet 
devices?  It's possible I'll be able to replace the single port interface 
with one of these guys and then add DBE to the kernel.

thanks!

-jh-

---

From: Syngen Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 96 19:40:57 GMT

> problem.  The kernel build process actually completely ruptured.

I had no problem in building a kernel with an old (mcast3.3) if_le.o,
but when attempting to ifconfig le1:--

  le1: not used - unsupported SBus card for this machine!
 
This problem was with a Sparc4, but I'm told that it works with other
machines.

Are you sure you were using if_le.o for the right architecture (e.g.
sun4m etc.)?

Syngen