Subject: vic gamma control question

From: [email-masked] (R. P. C. Rodgers)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 20:35:32 -0400

Dear MBONE Colleagues,

Please excuse a short question about vic -- I am using the Solaris 2.4 binary
for version 2.8 on a Sun UltraSPARC 2 with a SunVideo card, and am puzzled
as to why the gamma setting widget on the menu popup is grayed out --
I've got a very dark image that needs some gamma adjustment to provide a
viewable image (the image on the screen of the small video camera that is
providing the signal is plenty bright).

I was using the same version of vic on an LX a few weeks ago with a different
video source and the gamma adjustment was available (and very useful).

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment...

Cheerio, Rick Rodgers

---

From: Peter Parnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 07:59:26 +0200

The gamma correction alternative in Vic is only available on 8-bit displays 
and your U2 probable have a Creator(/3D) which allows Vic to run in 24-bit 
mode.

By the way, the FFB (the graphics card in Creator-machines) apparently allows 
gamma correction per window. Have any one here tried that and have a small 
code-snippet available?

/P

---

From: Hiroaki Ikeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 21:36:16 +0900

Dear all,

In order to aviod the gamma settings abd relatated issues,
the International Electrotechnical Commission, IEC, is under
international standardization on colour measurement and
management in global open network such as the Internet. It
includes definition of red, green and blue (RGB) colours
which are not standardized in the Internet and offset and
gamma.

If you are interested in the activity, please visit the URL
http://w3.hike.te.chiba-u.ac.jp/IEC/100/PT61966/parts/

Any who are willing to contribute the standardization activity
will be highly weocome.

With regards,
Hiroaki Ikeda

-- 
Hiroaki Ikeda, Prof. Dr, Chiba University, Department of
	Electrical and Electronics Engineering
	1-33, Yayoi, Inage, Chiba 263, Japan.
	mailto:[email-masked]
	http://w3.hike.te.chiba-u.ac.jp/IEC/100/PT61966/
	Fax: +81 43 290 3039, Tel&Fax: +81 43 290 3352