Subject: Tunnel feed

From: Jan Novak <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 12:22:58 +0100

Hi,

Please could anybody help me with the following problem ??? (I am studying Mr. 
Deering Phd thesis and other related materials, but I need to solve my 
operational problems now):

I have a standard MBONE tunnel feed from MCI on Cisco router. I want to feed 
downstairs some other Cisco router through a tunnel. I have following problems:

1) I am able to feed down the DVMRP routes, but only with the enabling DVMRP 
unicast routing on related interfaces (not on my feed tunnel), which seems to 
be dangerous for the MBONE. How to propagate the DVMRP routes downstairs 
without this command ??

2) When I achieve to see the DVMRP routing table, I do not see any multicast 
group table. How to propagate the "mroutes" downstairs over a tunnel ??

Thanks, Jan

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 10:37:20 PST

Your best bet is probably to ask [email-masked]; they're
the ones who know all the different ways to configure your Ciscos to
do what you want.

  Bill

---

From: "Dorian R. Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 21:00:25 -0500 (EST)

> be dangerous for the MBONE. How to propagate the DVMRP routes downstairs 

If your multicast and unicast topology are incongruous, this is the way to do
it. The dangerous thing is 'ip dvmrp metric' command, which injects routes
from the routing table into DVMRP. So this shouldn't be a problem.

> group table. How to propagate the "mroutes" downstairs over a tunnel ??

Do you have 'ip multicast-routing' command enabled? It's a global command.

Hope this helps,

-dorian