Subject: mrouted, CMU/UCD snmpd, ISODE snmp, gated, et al. for SNMP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 15:25:36 -0800 (PST)

I have been running mrouted3.8 successfully for some time on
Solaris 2.x (e.g. 2.5.1) and Irix 5.3, and I have run the Solaris 
version of mrouted-snmp (currently, the environment is DVMRP-only, 
but, PIM is on the horizon, and gated will presumably eventually
do PIM, while mrouted will not).  I now find it necessary to run 
gated on the same platforms, and I would like to understand, and 
correctly integrate, the combined SNMP functionality of mrouted-snmp,
gated, and a version of snmpd.  In the past, gated was integrated 
with "ISODE SNMP", but apparently that code is now proprietary.  
Apparently, the current default build of gated doesn't seem to
have any hooks for SNMP support, although the documentation talks
about SNMP.  

In any case, is there a Web page or other document somewhere that 
explicates the current SNMP options and how they should be intertwined 
in a correct and consistent way?

Hugh LaMaster

  Hugh LaMaster, M/S 258-5,     Email:       Please send ASCII documents to:
  NASA Ames Research Center     Internet:    [email-masked]
  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000  Or:          [email-masked] 
  Phone:  415/604-1056          Disclaimer:  Unofficial, personal *opinion*.