Subject: mbone loss (sprintlink & los netos)

From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 11:01:16 -0500

I am consistently seeing 10-40% loss in sprintlink and Los Netos.
This makes listening to any audio useless.

Anyone care to look at these machines and determine why?

Thanks,
Tom

trace from 130.207.8.30 to 204.69.248.178 via group 224.2.1.1
Querying full reverse path... * switching to hop-by-hop:
  0  extreme.jcmax.com (204.69.248.178)
 -1  extreme.jcmax.com (204.69.248.178)  DVMRP  thresh^ 1  
 -2  mbone.ncren.net (192.101.21.8)  DVMRP  thresh^ 32  
 -3  * dc-mbone-1.sprintlink.net (206.229.87.99)  DVMRP  thresh^ 64  
 -4  fw-mbone-1.sprintlink.net (206.61.106.99)  DVMRP  thresh^ 16  
 -5  * * stk-mbone-1.sprintlink.net (207.12.55.99)  DVMRP  thresh^ 16  
 -6  * * mbone.nsi.nasa.gov (192.203.230.241)  DVMRP  thresh^ 64  
 -7  * * FIXW-MBONE.NSN.NASA.GOV (192.203.230.243)  PIM/Special  thresh^ 0  
 -8  genbsd.genuity.net (204.74.125.59)  DVMRP  thresh^ 64  
 -9  * * mbone.ln.net (204.140.133.12)  DVMRP  thresh^ 64  
-10  * dec3800-1-fddi-0.LosAngeles.mci.net (204.70.170.29)  DVMRP  thresh^ 64  
-11  * * dec3800-2-fddi-0.SanFrancisco.mci.net (204.70.158.61)  DVMRP  thresh^ 1  
-12  * * paloalto-mbone1.bbnplanet.net (192.42.110.249)  PIM/Special  thresh^ 32  
-13  * * collegepk-mbone1.bbnplanet.net (128.167.252.196)  PIM/Special  thresh^ 64  
-14  * * feta-fddi.gatech.edu (130.207.244.30)  DVMRP  thresh^ 32  
-15  * * cc-cisco1-comm.cc.gatech.edu (130.207.251.2)  PIM  thresh^ 8  Reached RP/Core
Round trip time 279 ms; total ttl of 77 required.

Waiting to accumulate statistics... Results after 10 seconds:

  Source        Response Dest    Overall     Packet Statistics For Traffic From
130.207.8.30    204.69.248.178   Packet      130.207.8.30 To 224.2.1.1
     v       __/  rtt  208 ms     Rate       Lost/Sent = Pct  Rate
130.207.8.1    
130.207.251.2   cc-cisco1-comm.cc.gatech.edu Reached RP/Core
     v     ^      ttl    9        98 pps        0/258  =  0%  25 pps
130.207.244.30  feta-fddi.gatech.edu 
     v     ^      ttl   34        96 pps        1/258  =  0%  25 pps
192.221.48.234 
128.167.252.196 collegepk-mbone1.bbnplanet.net 
     v     ^      ttl   67       123 pps        0/257  =  0%  25 pps
131.119.0.197  
192.42.110.249  paloalto-mbone1.bbnplanet.net 
     v     ^      ttl   67       212 pps       -3/257  =  0%  25 pps
204.70.158.61   dec3800-2-fddi-0.SanFrancisco.mci.net 
     v     ^      ttl   67         0 pps        0/260  =  0%   0 pps
204.70.170.29   dec3800-1-fddi-0.LosAngeles.mci.net 
     v     ^      ttl   70         0 pps        1/260  =  0%   0 pps
204.140.133.12  mbone.ln.net   
     v     ^      ttl   71         0 pps       93/259  = 36%   0 pps
204.74.125.59   genbsd.genuity.net 
     v     ^      ttl   72         0 pps        3/166  =  2%   0 pps
198.32.136.99  
192.203.230.243 FIXW-MBONE.NSN.NASA.GOV 
     v     ^      ttl   72         0 pps        0/163  =  0%   0 pps
192.203.230.241 mbone.nsi.nasa.gov 
     v     ^      ttl   74         0 pps        6/163  =  4%   0 pps
207.12.55.99    stk-mbone-1.sprintlink.net 
     v     ^      ttl   74         0 pps       61/157  = 39%   0 pps
206.61.106.99   fw-mbone-1.sprintlink.net 
     v     ^      ttl   74         0 pps        0/96   =  0%   0 pps
206.229.87.99   dc-mbone-1.sprintlink.net 
     v     ^      ttl   77         0 pps       11/96   = 11%   0 pps
192.101.21.8    mbone.ncren.net 
     v     ^      ttl   77         0 pps        0/85   =  0%   0 pps
204.69.248.178  extreme.jcmax.com 
     v      \__   ttl   77         0 pps        ?/85           0 pps
204.69.248.178  204.69.248.178
  Receiver      Query Source