Subject: Win95/WinNT version of vic available

From: Van Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 96 07:34:08 PDT

There's a Win95/WinNT binary of the vic video conferencing tool
available for anonymous ftp at 

 ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/conferencing/vic/alpha-test/vicbin-2.7b3-win95.zip

This version is current & complete.  I.e., it doesn't require any
additional dll's or libraries.  The performance is better than
previous windows versions of vic but still far less than
stellar.  Currently vic uses the standard GDI DrawDIB interface
to display video frames.  This is painfully slow.  If Microsoft
ever decides to wake up & ship the developer CDs we ordered 6
months ago, I hope to convert vic to use the Game SDK DirectDraw
interface.  This should make it quite fast.  In the interim,
the poor performance is Bill's fault, not ours.

This version includes a hi-color (16 bit rgb) renderer.  It
still needs tuning (there is some visible contouring) but it
looks nicer than the 8 bit dither & is as fast or faster.

Please let us know of any problems or suggestions for improvement
via email to [email-masked].  Thanks.

 - Van Jacobson & Steve McCanne