Subject: trouble using a Win/TV board under Windows-98 with SHRIMP's vic

From: "Christopher J. Tengi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:02:56 -0400

I am attempting to set up a Windows 98 machine (for various local reasons) 
using Hauppauge's Win/TV (model 401).  I have installed the SHRIMP versions of 
sdr, vic, rat, wb and nt.  The WinTV32 application works fine, and lets me 
select the internal tuner or the external NTSC input (to which I have a Cannon 
VC-C3 connected).

However, when I run vic, I can't get input from the camera, but only get input 
from whatever channel was left set on the tuner the last time I ran WinTV32.  
In the 'Encoder' section of the vic 'Menu', I selected the 'external-in' port 
(which was the only choice presented) and the 'MSVIDEO: Brooktree Bt848 
Capture Driver' device.  Unfortunately, it appears that external-in, isn't.  
It doesn't appear to matter what I left as the last setting in WinTV32.  Even 
if I exit WinTV32 with the camera displayed, the tuner is what I get when I 
start vic.  I tried having both applications running so that I could force the 
port, but I can only run one of WinTV32 or vic at a time (as expected).

Has anybody else played with this configuration, or something near to it?  Am 
I missing something obvious?  Maybe something not quite obvious?  I hope to 
bring up Linux of FreeBSD at some point in the not-too-distant future, but I'm 
stuck with Windows-98 for now.

					Thanks,
						/Chris

---

From: "Alan J. Flavell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 18:21:04 +0100 (BST)

> I am attempting to set up a Windows 98 machine (for various local reasons) 
..
> from whatever channel was left set on the tuner the last time I ran WinTV32.  

Here's my experience with all three video capture boards (captivator,
hauppauge, and winnov) that I have used with vic under Win95.  One has
to select the input _before_ starting vic, i.e with some other tool
such as one of the applications that come with the board, or with
netmeeting's tools->video->source, or with the little "vc" thingy that
comes with vic.  That then stays selected when you use vic, but you
don't get to change inputs while vic is running.

That's my experience, anyhow.  If I'm missing something, I'll be glad
to learn otherwise.

> Capture Driver' device.  Unfortunately, it appears that external-in, isn't.  

Something like that.

Actually, after having tried the three boards I described above, in
that order, in the one PC, and then gone back to the Hauppauge, it
seems totally confused about what I've really got.  The board that's
in now is the Hauppauge, but the control-panel/ System menu is utterly
convinced that it's the captivator/PCI.  These all have drivers
claiming to be "MSVIDEO: Brooktree Bt848 capture driver", apparently
all with the same filename, and all subtly different.  Given three
similar-looking Philips cameras, one giving S-Video Y/C lines, one a
single composite video line, and one (winnov) with a completely
different set of pin assignments in the identical 9-pin minidin
connector, I can't recommend trying to mix and match this stuff!! 

> start vic.

Oh, sorry, I seem to have misunderstood you.  That isn't quite what's
happening for me.  Have you tried the vc thingy, or even netmeeting,
to perform these settings instead, before starting vic?  (You have to
quit those apps before starting vic, though). 

>  I tried having both applications running so that I could force the 

Right... 

good luck.

---

From: "Christopher J. Tengi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:28:55 -0400

vc did the trick.  Thanks!

The only annoying thing about vc is that a DOS shell window pops up before the 
graphical window.  I don't know if this is a Windows thing or an application 
thing.  Anybody have any ideas?

					/Chris