Subject: Top 50 unstable DVMRP routes

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 23:30:25 PST

Dear MBone and MBone-EU-OP mailing lists,

  UCLA and PARC are engaged in MBone monitoring and
measurement.  One of the major problems with the current DVMRP
MBone is route instability.  Most of the instability appears to
be caused by pathologies as opposed to real link or router
instability.  DVMRP does not handle instability well, so it's to
everyone's benefit to eliminate these pathologies.  This
periodic message is meant to point out the routes that appear
unstable in the hopes that the cause of the instability will be
corrected.

  More information on the data collection is available from

	http://ganef.cs.ucla.edu/~masseyd/Route/

  More information on the known bugs which cause instability
is available from

	http://ganef.cs.ucla.edu/~masseyd/Route/bugs.html

  We are still experimenting with the best format in which to
present this information.  We're currently grouping routes
by unicast AS number, and only reporting the worst offender
in a given AS.  Other unstable routes in the same AS can be
found by referring to the "AS Number Search" from the search
menu of the above web page, or by looking at this week's or
this month's current data on the web page.

  The fields in the following table are:
AS:
	The AS number associated with the source in the unicast
	routing table.  This may be the route's source, or may be
	the route's source's unicast provider, who may or may not
	be their multicast provider.
#sources:
	The number of sources in the DVMRP routing table associated
	with this AS.
#down:
	The number of above sources whose DVMRP routes are currently
	considered down.
#flapping:
	The number of above sources whose DVMRP routes are experiencing
	routing instability during this period.
Route:
	The most unstable route in the AS over the measurement period.
Rank:
	The rank (by flaps/hour) of this route in the top AS's.
flaps/hour:
	The average flaps-per-hour of the most unstable route.
	A stable route never flaps; if a link goes down and
	comes back up routes related to it might flap once or
	twice.  A route which flaps, on average, more than once
	per hour over a week's time, is clearly either behind a
	link that goes up and down about once an hour (which
	deserves to be investigated) or is experiencing a
	pathology like those listed on the above-referenced bugs
	page (which deserves to be investigated).

  The table lists the 50 worst AS's, sorted by the IP address of the
most unstable route in the AS, with an additional rank by most unstable
route in the AS.  This data is from a single point of view at
UCLA; the data is of course colored by its collection point.  In
particular, network problems close to the collection point can
raise the perceived instability for a large number of sources.
However, we believe that averaging over the week lessens these
effects greatly, so although there may be occasional blips, in
general if you're in this table, you should try to find out
why.

     AS #srcs  #down(%)  #flapping Route               Rank avg.flaps/hour
------- ----- ---------- --------- ------------------- ---- --------------
   4983	   37   32(86%)     6(16%) 134.134/16          30     73
   1569	    3    2(66%)     1(33%) 139.139/16          42     72
    668	   46   26(56%)    22(47%) 140.140/16          33     73
    600	   54   47(87%)    10(18%) 140.141/16          41     72
   1221	  168  156(92%)    18(10%) 140.143/16          47     72
   5006	   28   25(89%)     2(7%)  141.140/16          44     72
   3739	   35   29(82%)    10(28%) 141.141/16          25     73
    808	    7    3(42%)     4(57%) 142.142/16          29     73
   2856	   32   28(87%)    10(31%) 147.147/16          22     74
   3749	   44   33(75%)    13(29%) 149.149/16          19     74
   6068	    5    3(60%)     2(40%) 150.150/16          23     74
   1891	    4    2(50%)     3(75%) 152.152/16          35     73
   1564	    4    3(75%)     1(25%) 155.155/16          16     74
   3561	  353  249(70%)    79(22%) 158.158/16          18     74
   3136	    2    1(50%)     1(50%) 159.158/16          49     72
    174	  226  201(88%)    29(12%) 161.161/16          15     74
   5609	    9    8(88%)     1(11%) 163.162/16          14     74
   2551	   60   48(80%)    16(26%) 167.167/16          6      76
   1785	   94   67(71%)    32(34%) 168.169/16          38     73
   1761	    4    3(75%)     1(25%) 168.171/16          43     72
    683	   15    6(40%)     9(60%) 192.5.198/24        39     72
     -1	  352  219(62%)   115(32%) 192.9.200/24        36     73
     72	   48   43(89%)     9(18%) 192.23.215/24       28     73
   2109	    7    6(85%)     2(28%) 192.66.130/24       46     72
   7569	   24   20(83%)     4(16%) 192.68.132/24       37     73
   7570	   14   10(71%)     4(28%) 192.70.135/24       31     73
   2871	   13   12(92%)     2(15%) 192.76.140/24       48     72
   3260	    1    0(0%)      1(100%)192.92.156/24       10     75
    278	   17   13(76%)     6(35%) 192.100.164/24      40     72
   4493	    4    4(100%)    2(50%) 192.100.166/24      5      76
    291	   23   20(86%)     3(13%) 192.107.175/24      45     72
   1275	  797  450(56%)   416(52%) 192.109.175/24      13     74
   4293	   65   57(87%)    11(16%) 192.127.190/24      20     74
   1591	   22   21(95%)     3(13%) 192.138.74/24       32     73
   6730	    2    1(50%)     1(50%) 192.153.89/24       12     74
   6887	    1    0(0%)      1(100%)192.159.95/24       24     74
   3850	    6    4(66%)     3(50%) 192.160.97/24       50     71
    719	  165  151(91%)    21(12%) 192.163.98/24       17     74
   3301	   45   37(82%)    10(22%) 192.165.101/24      11     74
   1239	  186  160(86%)    29(15%) 192.189.125/24      21     74
      1	  327  236(72%)    70(21%) 192.195.3/24        26     73
   3404	   23   17(73%)     9(39%) 192.225.33/24       27     73
   5556	   17   15(88%)     3(17%) 193.182.119/24      7      76
    517	   39   36(92%)     4(10%) 193.197.4/24        9      75
   1257	   62   55(88%)     9(14%) 193.235.42/24       8      75
   8517	   12   11(91%)     2(16%) 194.27.217/24       34     73
   6461	  134   10(7%)    124(92%) 199.46.16/24        4      95
   8121	    2    1(50%)     1(50%) 199.74.220/23       1     114
   5754	   11    2(18%)     9(81%) 206.127.228/24      3     108
    701	  364  292(80%)    70(19%) 208.197.169.0/28    2     113

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:54:53 PST

A script error caused this week's list to not get generated, and
a bug in another script allowed the email to get sent anyway.  Please
ignore the message from Sunday night; I'll try to get the real data out
soon.

  Bill