Subject: wb crashes SGI X-Server

From: [email-masked] (Kurt Kayser)
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 10:45:34 +0100

Hello!

Since I upgraded the X-server release to X11R6 on an SGI machine
wb is crashing the X-server hard. Did someone experience similar
effects with new X-server releases from SGI? I'll try to debug the
reason for the crash.

I had also another problem on an SGI Indy: When wb was called from
the sd tool, wb sits in the process table but never opens any
window. It eats cpu-cycles all the time and never dies by it self...

Happy new year!

Kurt
--
Kurt Kayser <http://www.ecrc.de/staff/kurt/> => Tel. +49 89 926 99148
ECRC European Computer Research Centre       => Fax. +49 89 926 99170
Arabellastr. 17, 81925 Munich, Germany       => E-Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Magnus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 1996 10:55:47 +0100

> Hello!

Hi Kurt!

> effects with new X-server releases from SGI? I'll try to debug the

This is a known problem. Reading the README file you will find this:

SGI Notes
---------
There is a serious bug in the Irix 5.x Display Postscript server
that wb seems to trigger:  Either your display will lock up completely
or your X server will crash & you will be logged out.  SGI has known
about the bug for at least a year & may one day decide to fix it
(don't hold your breath).  A work-around seems to be to run xpsview
once, just after you log in.  This will initialize DPS & wb then
seems to run without problems.  A better work-around might be to use
ghostscript instead of DPS.  If gs is installed on your machine, just
put "wb.UseDPS: false" in your .Xdefaults.

So, try out GhostScript...

> window. It eats cpu-cycles all the time and never dies by it self...

Hmm... never seen this... must try out.

Magnus