Subject: Re: bandwidth inadequacy ?

From: Richard Core <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 14:01:05 -0800 (PST)

Seems like I've read from more than one source recently that data (digital?)
traffic now exceeds voice traffic on the phone system (in the US ?).

Rich

---

From: Dermot Tynan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 10:12:11 +0000 (GMT)

> traffic now exceeds voice traffic on the phone system (in the US ?).

A good place to look is the MCI home page.  Specifically the stuff
written by Vint Cerf.  I found the following bandwidth discussion
quite interesting...

In 1995, MCI had 45Mbps of Internet backbone across the US.  Last year
they upped that to 155Mbps.  This year they plan on upping it once
again to 622Mbps (yes, that's 622 million bits per second - makes the
MBONE seem low-bandwidth in comparison!).  By 1998 they hope to have an
Internet backbone of 1.2 gigabits per second.

With that kind of capacity, you could broadcast 800 television channels
with full MPEG-2 (VHS quality) sound and vision.  What is even more
sobering is that they currently already have 2-3 gigabits per second of
bandwidth for voice lines.  Using these figures, IP traffic has a long
way to go before it becomes the major player.  Certainly by the turn of
the century, I could see IP being the primary traffic on most long-haul
networks.
						- Der
-- 
Dermot Tynan						+353 91 754608
[email-masked]					 DTN: 822-4608

AltaVista Internet Software, Galway, Ireland