Subject: Need connectivity in NYC (AlterNET/UUNET)

From: Kimmo Suominen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 19:29:18 -0400

Hello!

UUNET told me they do not provide multicast (MBONE) connectivity.
Anyone out there already connected on AlterNET/UUNET in or close
to NYC who could give me a tunnel?

I only have a T1 currently, so I'd rather not be in the middle of
a tunnel (or I would be limiting the bandwidth downstream from my
mrouted).  However, if that is the only possibility, I'm willing
to do it.

Thanks,
+ Kim

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:19:20 PDT

I'd suggest double-checking with [email-masked] before trying
this path.  AlterNET definitely has an MBone topology.

  Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (Reto Lichtensteiger)
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 08:47:06 -0400 (EDT)

Bill Fenner wrote:

<> I'd suggest double-checking with [email-masked] before trying
<> this path.  AlterNET definitely has an MBone topology.

UUNet claims to have exceeded their capacity and will not add new tunnels
for customers.

Reto L.
-- 
R A Lichtensteiger	 [email-masked] -or- [email-masked]
			 http://www.meitca.com/ITA/People/rali
    "Yes, you're doing things right, but are you doing the right things?"
    "Nope.  I'm just doing something dumb fast."

---

From: "Louis A. Mamakos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:18:25 -0400

Here is the UUNET MBONE situation from the horse's mouth.  It is not
the case that UUNET will not add new tunnels; it is the case we have
suspended adding new tunnels for a period of time.

The existing UUNET MBONE infrastructure is being augmented/replaced to address
capacity issues.  There are some mrouted-based DVMRP routers which have
no additional virtual interfaces available, and other DVMRP routers with
excessive fan-out.  Additional dedicated MBONE routers are being installed,
and the decision was made to not further worsen the situation by adding
additional tunnels.

Further, there is a product definition process going in parallel which will
provide some level of training and awareness of this "MBONE thing" throughout
the rest of the organization, rather than only having 2 engineers doing it
in their spare time.  Because this was all done informally in the past,
there was no capacity planning activities in place to ensure that the
service would be available; heck, there wasn't even a "service" defined
in the first place.  That's part of what's being addressed.

If you're a UUNET customer, please contact your sales executive to obtain
more detailed information.

-- 
Louis A. Mamakos,  Manager, Strategic Technologies  [email-masked],  uunet!louie
UUNET Technologies, Inc.                            Voice: +1 703 206 5823
3060 Williams Drive                                 Fax:   +1 703 208 5390
Fairfax, VA 22031