Subject: Re: Is the mbone broken?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 13:51:09 +0200

>     Sorry, you shouldn't be running those releases.  Did you
>     attend the MBONE BOF?  There is an effort to cut-off MBONE
>     connectivity to non-pruning DVMRP routers.  10.2 and 10.3
>     are in that category.
>
>     Please use 11.0 or 11.1. 11.1 has more features, 11.0 has
>     the stability feature :-)
>
>     Enclosed are a list of routers running 10.2 and 10.3. You
>     know who you are, and now everyone else does too.

Hm, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem with 10.2 and
10.3 routers (and with pre-11.0(3.1) routers) only appears if the
routers are configured to speak DVMRP, right?  The problem is a
lack of the "DVMRP pruning" feature in the earlier releases of
the cisco software.

Through some random probing in the list you attached it seems
that not every router listed as "active on the mbone with 10.2 or
10.3" is running DVMRP, which means that the router in question
is strictly internal to a PIM cloud.  The list does however
certainly give good clues as to where to find 10.2/10.3 routers
running DVMRP.

To fix the problem what is required is to upgrade the DVMRP-
speaking routers to newer software.  (Not that I don't think it's
a good idea to upgrade the others as well, but it isn't strictly
required for this particular problem, no?)

Regards,

- Havard

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 13:51:09 +0200

Regards,

- Havard

---

From: "John M. Zwiebel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 08:50:56 -0700

>lack of the "DVMRP pruning" feature in the earlier releases of

	Right

  >certainly give good clues as to where to find 10.2/10.3 routers

	True.  You also need at least 11.0 for multicast fast-switching.

  >required for this particular problem, no?)
	True, if we strictly define the "problem" to be DVMRP pruning.
	Remember new features are added to new releases.  I know that's
	obvious but the following are in 11.1 and not earlier stuff.
	So, folks also need to make their choice of version based on
	whether or not they need this stuff too.

      o IGMP version 2 (draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-v2-01.txt, Sept 25, 1995)
      o IP multicast scoped address support
      o PIM source-tree switching thresholding

z

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 09:32:14 -0700

>> lack of the "DVMRP pruning" feature in the earlier releases of

    That is correct.

>> certainly give good clues as to where to find 10.2/10.3 routers

    That is correct.

>> speaking routers to newer software.  (Not that I don't think it's

    Grab the latest 11.0 from ftpeng.cisco.com:/ftp/beta110_dir. But Havard,
    you know that. If memory issues are a concern, try using the smaller
    -i images.

Dino

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 19:48:31 +0300 (EET DST)

> 	True, if we strictly define the "problem" to be DVMRP pruning.

In my understanding the discussion is mainly along the lines 'how to
be a good citizen (administrator)' on the MBone. I would care less how
do you screw your internal network but I do care if you affect my
transmission quality because your site sucks up all that it gets from
the MBone unneccessarily. This is specially the case if somebody is
transmitting 500kbps of screendump of he and his friend playing DOOM.

Pete