Subject: Re: cisco config quickie

From: [email-masked] (Kevin C. Almeroth)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 09:09:34 -0400 (EDT)

>>At this stage I think its better we copy mbone on the tech issues. There
>>are quite a few people setting up on mbone with ciscos, 

And it isn't just Cisco routers that people are using...  any experience 
with doing native multicast from (or tunnels between different) routers is 
of great interest to probably much of the list.  

-Kevin Almeroth

---

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Liljenstolpe)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 15:14:01 GMT

Greetings,

	For the last two or three Interops in the US, we have
terminated our tunnels directly into Baynetworks and 3Com routers.
Then we multicast enable the entire show network using the Bays and
3Coms on the floor.

	We have had no major problems with this scheme, it seems to
work pretty well.  One thing we did run into (I forgot if it was
mentioned here or not) was due to the InteropNet design.

	We have at least 2 routers on each segment.  In Las Vegas this
last year, both were participating in the Multicast network.  Since
each router saw it's "mate" on the downstream side, pruning never
happened.  The router vendors had a fix for this by the end of the
show, but I did not get the specifics of that fix.

	-=Chris

On Fri, 21 Jun 1996 09:09:34 -0400 (EDT), the sage [email-masked]

--
   ( (   | (               Chris Liljenstolpe <[email-masked]>
    ) ) (|  ), inc.        SSDS, Inc; 8400 Normandale Lake Blvd.; Suite 993
   business driven         Bloomington, MN   55437; 
 technology solutions      TEL 612.921.2392  FAX 612.921.2395   Fram Fram Free!
 PGP Key 1024/E8546BD5     FE 43 BD A6 3C 13 6C DB  89 B3 E4 A1 BF 6D 2A A9

---

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Liljenstolpe)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 15:13:26 GMT

Greetings,

	-=Chris

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 24 Jun 96 19:32:00 EDT

Form: Reply
Text: (14 lines follow)
Hi Kevin,
  Will you be doing this for Interop Tokyo as well?  We're planning on 
displaying the multicast video on PC's with Precept SW, and Sbus with 
whatever sw works with Parallax boards.

We're also considering broadcasting, and a router, other than to route ATM 
and Fast Ether hadn't been in our topology yet.  Can you let me know what 
considerations might be involved to enable our broadcast to be multicast 
beyond the scope of the floor? 

Thanks,

Ted Matsumura, Adaptec Japan Networking Program Manager

Original text: (42 lines follow)
From [email-masked], on 6/21/96 3:13 PM:
Greetings,

	-=Chris

 technology solutions      TEL 612.921.2392  FAX 612.921.2395   Fram Fram 
Free!

Use Proportional Font: true
Previous From: [email-masked]
Previous To: [email-masked] (Kevin C. Almeroth)
Previous Cc: [email-masked]
Attachment Count: 0
--$----Novell--Attachment----$

X-NVL-Content-Type: UNKNOWN
X-NVL-Content-Typename: UNKNOWN
X-NVL-Content-Charset: X-IBM-437
X-NVL-Content-Filename: ATTRIBS.BND
X-NVL-Content-Transfer-Encoding: X-UUENCODE

--$----Novell--Attachment----$--

---

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Liljenstolpe)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 23:14:12 GMT

Greetings,

	If you are using a Bay or 3Com as the Demarc router between
the NOC routers and the Internet connection, you can terminate the
MBONE connection there.  Then, if all the routers are multicast
enabled, the show floor multicast should make it out to the Internet
and back.

HOWEVER, there are a few provisios:

1) Announce your plans to the rem-conf list
2) Set hard limits on your bandwidth allowed out to the Internet for
multicast to be no more than 128 kbps
3) Set your threshhold TTL to 128.

If you do not do this, you will get nast-grams from Van.

	-=Chris

On 24 Jun 96 19:32:00 EDT, the sage [email-masked] scribed:

>begin 777 ATTRIBS.BND
>M0F5Y;VYD(%!A8VME9"!!='1R:6)U=&5S`([]",\M"@``````0F5Y;VYD(%!R
>M;W!R:65T87)Y($1A=&$:`````!$```````0`#0`,`@``````````````````
>M````````3W)I9VEN86P@=&5X=$D&1@H`````````````^@$#`$D&]`$"``(`
>M```I``(``0`!`"X``````````@`O`!L&````````./\```````"0`0``````
>M````35,@4V%N<R!397)I9@``````````````````````````````./\`````
>M``"0`0``````````0V]U<FEE<@``````````````````````````````````
>M`````0`!`"\``@`O`/=_`@`Z`/=_`@`[`/=_`@!R`/=_`@"U`/=_`@#Y`/=_
>M`@`-`?=_`@`.`?=_`@!+`?=_`@",`?=_`@#%`?=_`@#&`?=_`@`&`O=_`@!*
>M`O=_`@",`O=_`@#/`O=_`@`"`_=_`@`#`_=_`@`,`_=_`@`-`_=_`@!4`_=_
>M`@!Q`_=_`@!R`_=_`@"^`_=_`@#Z`_=_`@#\`_=_`@!'!/=_`@"4!/=_`@#'
>M!/=_`@#)!/=_`@#:!/=_`@#<!/=_`@#=!/=_`@#>!/=_`@#A!/=_`@`M!?=_
>M`@!Y!?=_`@"N!?=_`@#^!?=_`@!*!O=_````````````````9``!I`$!2`,!
>M[`0!D`8!-`@!V`D!?`L!(`T!Q`X!:!`!#!(!L!,!5!4!^!8`````````````
>M``!D``'@`0'``P&@!0&`!P%@"0%`"P$@#0$`#P'@$`'`$@&@%`&`%@%@&`%`
>#&@``
>`
>end
>