Subject: MCI & FreeBSD

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 15:34:53 +0300 (EET DST)

Just to confirm, all my routes that usually go trough MAE-E --> MCI
path just got rerouted to ICM --> BBNplanet path and the time seems to
be quite accurate to the 09:00-10:30 EST, guess we got little more
load today to push them off the cliff a little sooner.

Pete

---

From: John Hawkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 19:40:03 -0400 (EDT)

Pete wrote:

> I guess they might have some bigger problems of theirs, I'm not sure
> but my suspect for the 40 Mbps fall every working day at 10:00 EST at
> MAE-E might give some clue who's falling off the cliff.
> 
> For your reference:
> http://www.mfsdatanet.com/MAE/east.giga.overlay.html

This seemed (to me) to be pretty unlikely to be at all related to the
MBone.

Anyhow, Steve F. claims (as of today):

} Oh, that's the signed arithmetic bug again...
} 
} At some point the SNMP counters start incrementing more than 2^31 in
} five minutes.
} 
} TCL does signed arithmetic unless you jump through hoops, which I forgot
} to do in the program which collects stats from the Gigaswitch.
} I think I've just fixed it, so the stats should look better after today.

So presumably that artifact will go away tomorrow...

--jhawk