Subject: DigitalUNIX and HP-UX and AIX...

From: Naohiro Shichijo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 02:39:19 +0900

I have a question on the current multicast code version of the
following OSes which I'm not currently using:

	o Digital UNIX
	o HP-UX
	o AIX

There is mrouted binary for DU and HP-UX at parcftp, so there should be
an patch or they are already equipped with post3.5 code of multicast...
( mrouted3.8 for AIX is not available at parcftp... does that mean 
AIX's multicast code is still pre 3.5 ?)

Thank you in forwards.

Naohiro Shichijo
University of Tokyo

---

From: Magnus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 18:49:44 +0100

> AIX's multicast code is still pre 3.5 ?)

Well, HP holds on to the patch for some reason. Talk to your local HP dealer
and request them to provide you with the patch which has the filename
hp-ipm-905-35.tar.Z which is the one I got from HP and use with success.
There is a sligth diffrence from the mrouted 3.8 sources to make it compile
on a HP but if you don't need to compile it yourself you can just pick up the
binaries at parcftp.

Magnus

---

From: "Alan J. Flavell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 18:20:57 +0000

> an patch or they are already equipped with post3.5 code of multicast...

I recently started running mrouted 3.8 with the 3.5 multicast mods
installed into OSF/1 v3.2.

From what I've heard, it also works OK up to Digital Unix 3.2c, but
I was told that 3.2d breaks it.  I'm not sure whether there is a fix.

I was told that Digital Unix 4 will be coming fairly soon, and
will not require kernel mods for running a pruning mrouted.

As I'm only doing this small-time I guess there are people on
this list who know more about it than me, but maybe this helps.

best regards

---

From: Ajay Kachrani USG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 14:45:58 -0500 (EST)

> From=20what I've heard, it also works OK up to Digital Unix 3.2c, but
If you put a ipm35 patch for Digital UNIX after upgrading to 3.2d, then
it will work fine. If you already running 3.2c w/ ipm35 patches -- and
then if you upgraded to 3.2d breaks -- since 3.2d overwrite the route.o
kernel module.

Workaround is to do remove_ipm and then add_ipm (scripts provided with kit)
will fix this problem.

The Multiast 3.5 patches are included in Digtial UNIX 4.0 -- so you'll
no longer need patches to run IP Multicast on Digital UNIX V4.0+ (as far
as the kernel patch level remain at 3.5!). 

--Ajay
ps: Also, note that we've found problem w/ ip_mroute.o module in the kit.
Many sites got the patch and i need to re-release the kit w/ patch. However,
if you're running ipm35 patch on Digital Unix w/o patch, send me mail and
i'll forward you one.