Subject: Re: MBone tunnel and FreeBSD

From: [email-masked] (John A. Stewart)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 11:25:49 -0400

Hi Nand;

Glad to see that things are working. How about:

1) stop the mrouted process

2) start up the tools with a ttl of either 0 or 1. (I forget which, but
the conference bus idea uses a small ttl...)

John Stewart
[email-masked]

> 
> I have a FreeBSD machine running mrouted with a tunnel to my MBone
> provider. Every thing works as expected. However, at certain times I'd
> like to restrict the multicast transmissions to this machine ONLY. That
> is, I don't want the multicast packets to leave this machine and appear on
> the other machines also on this network. How do I do this???
> 
> Regards nand
> 
> 
>

---

From: Yves Lepage <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 12:36:11 -0400

Hi,

A possible answer would to suggest you disable your physical interface.
However, I suspect mrouted 3.9 will act as 3.8 (I've not tried 3.9) did:
it will refuse to come up unless you have at least two VIFs, which is a
correct behaviour because as its name indicates, mrouted is supposed to
be used for routing mcast packets as opposed to being an end-point mcast
outlet.

As a workaround, I would suggest that you put a ratelimit of zero on the
physical interface. That should do the trick if it is actually possible
to put ratelimits on physical interfaces (if not, it should be added).

I hopw this helps,
Yves Lepage

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 1998 10:28 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: MBone tunnel and FreeBSD
> 
> 
> Hello all,
>