Subject: SDP Draft: order of entries?

From: Dirk Sturzebecher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 16:17:48 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I have a question about the order of the entries in the SDP. According to
draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-03.ps from 26 March 97 the order of entries does
matter. Meaning the email (e=) should be befor phone (p=) and those befor
attributes (a=). There seam to be quite a few tools not beeing conform
to this!

e.g.

v=0
o=- 62933 7 IN IP4 128.223.58.254
s=UO Special Events
i=University of Oregon Special Events (traveling IP/TV server) 
u=http://cc.uoregon.edu/iptv
a=admin:Lucy Lynch
e=Lucy Lynch <llynch@darkwing>
p=Lucy Lynch <(541) 346-1774>
t=0 0
a=type:broadcast
a=live
a=tool:IP/TV Program Guide 1.5.93
a=question:http://uotv.uoregon.edu/cgi-bin/iptv/qform.pl
a=qdisplay:http://uotv.uoregon.edu/cgi-bin/iptv/qdisplay.pl?62933
a=qcsv:http://uotv.uoregon.edu/cgi-bin

We got here a "a=" before "e=". And the order of phone and email get switched
quite often.
 
Now is this to be accepted and software written to deal with non standard
order, or should incorrect announcements be ignored. Is there someone
checking up on the developement of tools?
 
Opinions ?!?

cheers,	
	dirk

-- 
Dirk Sturzebecher			   Tel. : (0531) 391-3293
IBR/TU-Braunschweig                        email: [email-masked]

---

From: Valerie Lasker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 16:28:48 -0700

>...
>We got here a "a=" before "e=". And the order of phone and email get
switched quite often.
You are right. I didn't notice that I put the Precept-specific attribute
a=admin before the e= field. I will fix it in our next release (a few
months away).
I'm not aware that I ever switch e= and p=. I believe I always put e=
first, if it exists.

>checking up on the developement of tools?
My IP/TV Program Guide tool is not that strict about order on receipt of
announcments, as long as everything that is global comes before everything
that belongs in the media sections. And I believe that Mark Handley's sdr
tool is also liberal about what it accepts.

--
Valerie 
(email: [email-masked])