Subject: mbone tools and firewalls

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 97 08:33:12 -0400

Greetings,

Does anyone know if there is a socksified or proxy version of mbone
tools (mstat, mtrace, etc.) that would work through a firewall
(Sun based Firewall Toolkit) being fed a tunnel from the mbone? I can
run the existing tools from the firewall directly but would much rather
be able to run them from the inside and see the external mbone when
troubleshooting.

Regards,
Bill

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Friday                 email:  [email-masked]
Philips Research                               Voice: (914) 945-6087
Senior Network Administrator                     Fax: (914) 945-6511
Communications and Computing Resources 
345 Scarborough Road 
Briarcliff Manor, NY USA 10510

 --> My views and opinions do not reflect those of my employer <--
     Remember, not all those who wander are necessarily lost...
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Christoph Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Oct 1997 11:01:08 +0200

> be able to run them from the inside and see the external mbone when

Try mbone-gw. It uses TIS fwtk to proxy mbone trafic throug a
firewall.

Christoph

-- 
============================================================================
Christoph Martin, Uni-Mainz, Germany
 Internet-Mail:  [email-masked]
--------------export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-3-lines-PERL------------------
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj
$/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1
lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/)
#what's this? see http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:08:36 +0100

>Try mbone-gw. It uses TIS fwtk to proxy mbone trafic throug a
 
a simple thing to hack up would be to integrate whatever firewall
authentication is used to talk to SIP....then we could use SDR like
tools in a clean fashion across firewalls....dynamically enabling
appropriate sessions' traffic in&out...and dynamically installing any
MATs (Multicast Address Translator - Trademark, Jon Crowcroft, patent
pending....) which are reported through session advertisement
re-writing in the gateway.....

TIS can have this for a few dollars from me:-)

 jon
p.s. actually i havnt implemented it, so they can have it for
nothing:-)