Subject: Firewall restriction

From: "Korey Kirschenmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 19:10:25 -0600

Mbone users,

I know that this may be a trivial question, but I can't seem to find the
answer anywhere.

I am setting up MBONE access from a Cisco router to a Bay ASN router using
a DVMRP tunnel.
The Bay router is the firewall to our company. It doesn't appear that the
firewall is letting
the packets go through. 

The firewall is allowing IP and UDP packets with port id >10,000. Does
anyone else have
any ideas of what else might be restricting the packets from coming
through?

Korey Kirschenman
Great Plains Software
[email-masked]

---

From: dave pratt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 09:41:06 +0000 (GMT)

Korey, et al,

You need ip-in-ip (protocol 4) and IGMP (protocol 2) to be passed
through the firewall, in both directions between the tunnel end points.
I could give you the firewall command formats for a Cisco, but not for a
Bay.

Although it will sort of work with just the former, it'll annoy the rest
of the mbone as none of the diagnostic tools such as mtrace will work
into your site.

Cheers
--------
Usual Disclaimers apply.
WWW - doesn't that stand for "Wait a Week Word" ?
   Nope - It's Wait a Week Windows !
Dave Pratt      (tel: +44 1473 643840 )
[email-masked]

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Korey Kirschenmann wrote:

->Mbone users,
->
->I know that this may be a trivial question, but I can't seem to find the
->answer anywhere.
->
->I am setting up MBONE access from a Cisco router to a Bay ASN router using
->a DVMRP tunnel.
->The Bay router is the firewall to our company. It doesn't appear that the
->firewall is letting
->the packets go through. 
->
->The firewall is allowing IP and UDP packets with port id >10,000. Does
->anyone else have
->any ideas of what else might be restricting the packets from coming
->through?
->
->Korey Kirschenman
->Great Plains Software
->[email-masked]
->