Subject: MBone booking times

From: Sanjaya Hettihewa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 1996 10:44:35 -0500

Hello,

Can someone please tell me a little bit about MBone booking / broadcasting
times and procedures? For example, if I want to transmit Multicast Video
over the MBone, how should this time be scheduled? Or, can I do it any time
I want to? Who keeps track of who transmits what at what time?

Thanks for any info!

Regards,
- Sanjaya
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
System Administrator / Web Site Architect  
Phone / Fax: (301) 587 6516             
http://wonderland.dial.umd.edu/

---

From: Yves Lepage <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 96 10:58:37 -0500

Hello,

Let's do this little exercise, if I am flamed, it means I got it wrong.:-)

1- Announcing the event to [email-masked] and [email-masked] will allow people 
   (including you) to find out about potential conflicts.

2- Depending on the TTL value you are going to use, you might not even need to 
   be concerned by the conflicts. A TTL value that would confine your event
   to your own site can only conflict with other broadcasts at your site.

3- SDR (an SD equivalent) provides you with a calendar of events for the 2 next
   months (including the current month). This would help you shedule your event
   at a date and time that is free.

4- Other than SDR, there is no central scheduling authority. All the people    
   who use the MBONE collaborate to avoid conflicts.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Yves Lepage

---

From: "Joe Christy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 10:30:40 -0800

Vis-a-vis this recent query:
> ...
> ...
>-- End of excerpt from Sanjaya Hettihewa

	As an adjunct to MSRI's efforts to bring the MBone to the mathematical
community, Dave Wright has written a very nice MBone schedule page for the Web
at the URL http://www.msri.org/computing/mbone/.
	This is a schedule for *all* MBone events and has an interactive forms
front end for entering events and a nice tabular presentation of the current
schedule. It even has provision for different time zones. Check it out.
-------------
Joe Christy  |           Head of Computing            |Two wrongs
[email-masked] |Mathematical Sciences Research Institute|don't make a
(510)643-6069|      1000 Centennial Drive #5070       |right, but
FAX  642-8609|        Berkeley, CA  94720-5070        |three lefts do
================ http://www.msri.org/staff/bio/joe/ =================
My PGP public key is available from the URL above.
My PGP public key fingerprint is:
3F 38 C7 4E 49 FB 9E F4  AC 25 FE DE A6 63 24 F9