Subject: What version of SDR switched to SAPv1?

From: Beau Williamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:02:37 -0500

Fellow Mboners,

My understanding is that SDRv2.2 was the last version to use the older
SAPv0 packet format.  Can someone confirm this?

Thanks.

Beau

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 19:10:19 -0400

>SAPv0 packet format.  Can someone confirm this?

The SAPv0 packet format is legal SAPv1, but not vice versa.  

The version field didn't exist as such in SAP before the time of sdr
2.3.  The bits for the version field were carved out at the same time
as the bits for encryption and authentication, which went in with sdr
2.3 in October 1996.  Sdr 2.3 and all versions since have set the
version field to 1.  Prior to that sdr set the first eight bytes to
zero and ignored their content - a leftover from sd compatibility in
sdr v1.0.

Sdr 2.4 was only ever released with encryption removed because of US
export regulations, so the only SAP difference between 2.2 and 2.4 is
the version bit.  UCL have added their own encryption and
authentication code to SAP for sdr version 2.5 which I believe they
will release soon.  When people start making authenticated
announcements, the authentication header should be skipped by sdr 2.3
and 2.4 and they'll receive the announcements correctly, but will
cause sdr 2.2 to ignore the annoucement.

This was probably more information than you wanted, but I thought I'd
let you know the progression...

Cheers,
	Mark

---

From: Beau Williamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 19:45:21 -0500

>let you know the progression...

No, no, its not too much. It's good stuff!  My geek-endorphins are really
flowing now!

Thanks for the update.

Beau