Subject: Can mrouted handle variable subnet masks?

From: Gerard Hickey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 20:42:57 -0400

I am currently attempting to tie a few sites together using mrouted.
Unfortunately not all the sites have the same network infrastructure.
This has been causing me some headaches, and I am hoping that someone
here might have a solution. 

Here in Maine, our network is all switched. So typically we configure
all the network interfaces with 255.255.0.0. Currently I am attempting
to get another site connected through a multicast tunnel. Arlington uses
a 255.255.255.128 mask because they are still routing quite a bit. I can
get the two mrouted processes to see each other, but I am unable to get
any traffic to pass between the sites. 

Does anyone have a tricks up their sleeves? Is there a way I can get
boundaries to do what I want?

Thanks.
--
Gerard Hickey                             email: [email-masked]
National Semiconductor Corporation        phone: +1 207 541 6101
Advance Development Center, MS 03-03      fax:   +1 207 541 6108
5 Foden Road, South Portland, Maine 04106-1706