Subject: IMJ and Turner

From: [email-masked] (Kevin C. Almeroth)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 21:39:37 -0500 (EST)

Well, I finally got Turner's permission to broadcast their content on
the jukebox.  Because of this, I can now advertise channels 1 and 2
via sdr (channel 3 is now GT-internal only).  Thanks to Carl Malamud's
wording of a disclaimer which you'll see on the WWW page and in the
sdr announcement.

In terms of loading the MBone, I plan on limiting the scope of Channel 2
during loaded periods.  During highly loaded periods I'll cut the scope
of both channels.

If you want to check out the IMJ go to http://imj.gatech.edu.

Below, I've included the original announcement with the latest changes
in case anyone missed it.

As far as Turner content goes, the plan is to add a new set of content 
about every two weeks.  When this happens, the old content will be moved
to the secondary request menu for two weeks.  The old-old stuff will be
removed.  Hopefully I'll be able to advertise on the MBone list when
the new stuff is available.

-Kevin Almeroth

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

              Announcing the Interactive Multimedia Jukebox

   At one point on this list there was a discussion of what on-demand
servers exist or are being developed.  Well, I'd like to announce
our version called the Interactive Multimedia Jukebox (IMJ).

  The IMJ web page is a request and scheduling interface for the playout 
of content over the MBone.  CONTENT IS ENCODED SO THAT IT CAN BE RECEIVED
WITH THE LATEST VERSIONS OF VIC AND VAT (ANY PLATFORM).

   The IMJ page is located at http://imj.gatech.edu.  Information about 
the IMJ including general info, a postscript version of a paper about the 
IMJ, how-to-use information, and how it was implemented can be found at 
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/computing/Telecomm/IMJ/.

   Some quick additional information about the IMJ is included below:

IMJ Audio/Video
-----------------
   The IMJ uses the WWW to submit requests which are then scheduled
for playout on the MBone.  Right now we are offering three channels:
Channels 1 and 2 are being broadcast at a TTL of 127.  Channel 3 is
for internal testing and has a a TTL of 15.  Each channel provides 
DVI-2 audio and 128 Kbps H.261 video.  The encoding was done using 
Henning Schulzrinne's rtpplay and rtpdump.

Scheduling
----------
   Program scheduling uses a set of criteria to decide on which channel
to schedule a program.  The current set of criteria are listed just
below the interactive schedule.  We are exploring lots of different
options.

Content
-------
   We have been working on the jukebox paradigm with Turner Broadcasting,
and as a result of their interest they have agreed to let us broadcast
content on the MBone.  I am particularly excited about this aspect because
of their help and interest in investigating new applications on the Internet.

Development Platform
--------------------
   As is mentioned in the paper on the IMJ information page we are using
the IMJ as a platform for a variety of research issues including
providing interactivity, supporting multiple heterogeneous streams,
video server organization, tracking usage, program scheduling, and
pricing.

Acknowledgments
----------------
   In addition to Turner Broadcasting, several other groups have made the
IMJ possible.  The GT Broadband Telecommunications Center sponsored much 
of the research and some of the equipment, and GT Office of Information 
Technology offered technical assistance and additional equipment.

Please send me any feedback or suggestions.  Thanks.

-Kevin Almeroth