Subject: Re: How to get multi-homed ATM/Ethernet sparcs talking?

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 16:36:59 PST

>1) When mrouted is not running, the Sparcs will send multicast traffic out
>whatever interface is defined as the "default" multicast interface.

This is true when mrouted is running, too.  Multi-homed hosts behave
like multi-homed hosts, whether they're routing or not.

  Bill

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 01:47:35 +0100 (MET)

So, as we are at the topic, i've got a problem with mrouted too.
Basically the problem is that i'd like to avoid mrouted but i cannot:

what's the easiest configuration for the following requirement:

 - workstation SINGLE-HOMED.
 - There shall be no multicast on the local network due to policies.
 
Right. How do i set up mrouted with a single tunnel to someplace else
to get multicast for this workstation ? With only a single tunnel
and the local network physically disabled in mrouted.conf, mrouted
will simply quit.

Toerless

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 09:05:36 +0200 (EET)

> and the local network physically disabled in mrouted.conf, mrouted

The easiest way here is to change the policy. :-)

Pete

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 11:05:56 -0500 (EST)

> and the local network physically disabled in mrouted.conf, mrouted

Although it's not a particularly nice solution, another workaround
is to configure a second tunnel to another one of your machines which
isn't on the same subnet, and which _doesn't_ run mrouted.  That
tunnel will of course always be down, and it will periodically try
to see if it's up, but at least mrouted will function with one active
tunnel...

-Dave

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 08:16:09 PST

In message <[email-masked]> you write:
>isn't on the same subnet, and which _doesn't_ run mrouted.

Well, this will indeed let you run mrouted, but won't let the workstation
in question source or sink multicast, so it doesn't really help =)

  Bill

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 19:43:22 +0100 (MET)

> The easiest way here is to change the policy. :-)

Right, what would you consider to be an acceptable maximum multicast
packet rate on a 10 Mbps ethernet ?

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 22:06:39 +0200 (EET)

> packet rate on a 10 Mbps ethernet ?

I think you should keep yourself below 1 kpps since multicast frames
tend to be pretty large.

Pete