Subject: PowerPoint to multicast summary

From: Ian Reddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 16:17:11 -0700 (PDT)

A summary of responses to my question regarding how to get PowerPoint
slides into a (vic) multicast stream follows. We've only tried 1, 4,
and 7 but have more research to do. Many thanks to the respondents.

1) Bill Nowicki, <[email-masked]>

  Since our presentations are projected on a video projector
  for the local audience, we just use a video switch to
  switch that video into the stream instead of the camera.

2) Jim Gemmell, <[email-masked]>

  Check out Precept's slidecast, which puts your screen (or part of it)
  into the video stream.

3) Kent Wada, <[email-masked]>

  Although not a direct answer to your question, RealVideo can synchronize the 
  display of Web pages with an audio track. I believe Microsoft's NetShow 2.0 
  can do the same (and more, in fact). Both are multicast aware, although I 
  doubt if they are interoperable with vic, etc.

4) Arlie Davis, <[email-masked]>

  From what I know, Microsoft is working on streaming PowerPoint.  See
  this URL for some information.  (I thought there was more on this, but I
  can't find it right now.)

  http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q160/8/48.htm

(with response from Jim Gemmell...)

  This link is about converting PowerPoint to NetShow (JPEG + audio). I
  don't believe NetShow will live multicast this - at least not yet.

5) Petri Helenius, <[email-masked]>

  Precept's IP/TV contains a feature called 'slidecast' which transmits
  slides which codec of your choice from a captured region on a Wintel
  PC.

  This goes for all applications, obviously including Powerpoint and is
  also software version independent.

6) Roger Klein, <[email-masked]>

  - export Powerpoint slides to postscript and distribute via wb (you
    would have to port wb to Windows/NT before)

  - distribute the Powerpoint slides using a multicast file
    distribution protocols like SRFDP

  - save Powerpoint slides in GIF or JPG Format, embed those into HTML
    pages and use one of the existing multicast Web tools, like mMosaic

7) John M. Zwiebel, <[email-masked]>

  Put your slides on to the web and have the receivers use netscape.
  Or make a postscript version and use ghostview.

-- 
  Ian Reddy, Senior Systems Consultant  E-mail:    [email-masked]
  Academic Computing Services, AD1021              [email-masked]
  Simon Fraser University               Telephone: (604) 291-3936
  Burnaby, B.C. Canada V5A 1S6          Fax:       (604) 291-4242

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:11:14 +0100

>  Or make a postscript version and use ghostview.

um - 

not quite answerring your question, but:
7b)
turn the powerpoint to postscript (using a GOOD postascript
printer driver) and use Wb
[a windows port of Wb of course being quite a useful thing but not
avaialble yet....]

7c) turn the powerpoint to HTML and use webcast (inria multicast web
stuff....)

7d) turn the powerpoint to anything on an X display and use nv to cast
a window (at a VERY slow rate, but still horrible!)

8.
put the powerpoint on a VGA display and use a vga to pal or ntsc scan
line convertor put the output of that into the video input of your
favourite framegrabber and send to vic as per normal.....

9. i bet you can do 8 with Active Movie 2. (when its out) just by
building a screen grabber to direct video input thingie widget.....jim
gemmell might comment...

cheers

 jon