Subject: ipMrouteNextHopAddress

From: George Eleftheriou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 01:56:04 +0300

Hello everyone,
there is something that puzzles me:
Is it logical ipMrouteNextHopAddress to be a group address?
The MIB says it is "The address of the next hop".
Next hop a group address?
Here is some queries with snmp
60.1.1.3.1.6.224.0.1.1.0.0.0.0.255.255.255.255.4.224.0.1.1 = 2
60.1.1.3.1.6.224.0.1.1.128.232.0.49.255.255.255.255.4.224.0.1.1 = 2
I remind that this table has as index
{ipMrouteNextHopGroup,ipMrouteNextHopSource,
ipMrouteNextHopSourceMask,ipMrouteNextHopIfindex,ipMrouteNextHopAddress}
Thanks for your time,
George

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 11:37:20 -0400 (EDT)

> Is it logical ipMrouteNextHopAddress to be a group address?

Usually, yes.  According to cisco, there are special cases where it isn't
the same as the group address (maybe for NBMA networks?) but I don't
recall the details.

Yes, the DESCRIPTION clause is a little too terse.

-Dave