Subject: new Win95/WinNT version of vat available

From: Van Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 96 09:33:04 PDT

A new Win95/WinNT version of vat is available at

  ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/conferencing/vat/alpha-test/vatbin-4.0b1-win95.zip

This file contains vat.exe, a README and the changes html file.  It
doesn't use long names so you should be able to use any version of
zip on it.  However if you have trouble, we suggest you get the
excellent shareware `winzip' available at http://www.winzip.com/.

This version includes several fixes from John Brezak
([email-masked]) together with a new audio driver written
by us.  It supports full vat functionality.  I.e., users can
both receive and send audio and the input & output gain sliders
now work.  The vat input & output port selection (i.e., clicking
on the mike and speaker icons) should also work on soundcards
with appropriate mixers.  The audio driver performance for most
things has improved by a factor of two or more.  I.e., vat is
now quite usable on a 50MHz 486.  Also, as long as your
soundcard's crystal can run close to 8KHz (and most cards except
Soundblasters can), the audio quality should be much improved.

Note that there are no dll's with this version of vat -- we've
linked in tcl & tk as libraries rather than dlls.  This gives 
improved performance and simpler installation with fewer potential
conflicts from tools using different tcl/tk versions at the
expense of a small increase in program size.  This version was
linked with the release version of tcl7.5/tk4.1 plus John Brezak's
patches to get `X resources' from the Window's Registry.  The
release tcl/tk seem to have fixed most of the resource leaks
present in earlier versions of tk (e.g., we have left vat running
for days at a time with no adverse affect on Windows).

Let us know of any problems via email to [email-masked].  Thanks.

 - Van Jacobson & Steve McCanne