Subject: Windows 95 dial up

From: [email-masked] (Lee Elson)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:39:37 -0700

Rumor has it that it is not possible to access multicast packets via a dialup
modem in Windows 95 using ported vat-vic tools due to problems with 
"Microsoft Dialup Networking". Any truth in this? Anyone anticipate a 
workaround in the near future?

---

From: "Dwight E. Spencer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 16:06:44 -0300 (ADT)

> workaround in the near future?

the limiting facter here is that there is no multicast packets coming over
a serial IP link (that I've ever head of).  I thought to myself that if I
had a RAS server on a winnt box, that was getting multicast packets from a
sparc on the same subnet, I may get multicast packets at home over my ppp
link via the unixhost->nt box -> ras server -> ppp link -> home
workstation. 

This was a pipe dream, and I'm considering the solution below currently.

I dailin to the RAS server with possibly a (small 386 paperweight) intel
unix box (linux/freebsd) and trying to tunnel over that to the workstation
on the subnet that houses my RAS server.  Remember that I'll be doing this
all over a 28.8 ppp link, so no great speeds will be reached here.

This is just all in my head at the moment.  In the future, whatever the
information highway becomes, possibly we'll all have native multicast
packets in that electrical outlets in our homes.  If I ever do get the
initiative to try this, I'll post how I make out.

dwight s.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dwight E. Spencer                    Canada's Community Access Network 
eMail: [email-masked],                            Server Administrator
                                          UNB, Fredericton, NB, Canada
Phone: +1 506 447 3153            Url:  http://cspace.unb.ca/~spencer/

---

From: "Mark A. Fullmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 18:42:13 -0400 (EDT)

>link via the unixhost->nt box -> ras server -> ppp link -> home

It's possible to do mcast routing on cisco 2511's (16 async ports).

Our modem pool has been running with this enabled for a few months.  I 
just wish PIM could be disabled in favor of just IGMP on the async
ports.

With a few small changes like setting the IFF_MULTICAST bit in if_flags
the ppp-2.2 distribution will work over async dialup lines in this
configuration.

Trying a Microsoft stack is not something we've done yet.

-- 
mark