Subject: terminating a tunnel at a CISCO

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 10:57:58 -0500 (EST)

Currently we are terminating our tunnel from SuraNet at a Sun Sparc10. We
would like to move than tunnel to a Cisco 7000 running version 11.0
of its O.S. A few months ago I remembered some noise about this being
unadvisable due to DVMRP to PIM interactions. Is this still the case?

If not are there any pitfalls to doing this that are not obvious?

-MM

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is a game. Someone wins and someone loses. Get used to it.
<BR>
<HR><A HREF="http://www.gatech.edu/michael.html">Michael Mealling</A>

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 23:06:35 +0200

> unadvisable due to DVMRP to PIM interactions. Is this still the case?
Reading the discussion to the end (which might not be entertaining
all the time) you should have come to the conclusion that there have
been problems with the IOS DVMRP implementation and those known have
been fixed as of today. To achive DVMRP pruning, you need to run
11.0(3) or later. 

 > If not are there any pitfalls to doing this that are not obvious?
Not in addition of redistributing all your unicast routes to the MBone.
That's not too easy with the current software so you should be on the
safe side.

Pete

---

From: dave pratt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 21:34:54 +0000 (GMT)

> That's not too easy with the current software so you should be on the
There's another pitfall, don't acidentally add
ip dvmrp default-information originate | only
on your incoming mbone tunnel.
You end up sending out a default route to everyone, which is apparently
more of an annoyance than a disaster, but still to be avoided. It's pretty 
obvious, but I was trying loads of stuff to try and solve some mcast over 
ATM stuff (oops).

--------
Dave Pratt      (tel: +44 1473 643840 )
[email-masked]