Subject: Hardware for multicasting ?

From: ORLHAC Christophe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:27:27 +0200

Hello,

I am actually testing the Mbone tolls (Vic, Vat, Rat, Mpoll, SDR, NT,
WB) with windows  95 and windows NT 4.0. I am running them with an old
486 and I want to buy an another PC just to run them. Do you think that
I will be able to reach 25 fps with VIC with a Pentium II and a PCI
capture card ?

I am interesting in all information about hardware required for running
correctly the Mbone tools and I am interesting in all experiences you
have done about Mbone.

If you are interesting by "good" versions of Mbone tools for Windows,
there is an interesting site :
http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/K.Hasler/shrimp/bin/

Thank you for helping me.

Christophe.

-----------------
[email-masked]
-----------------

---

From: Kristian Hasler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 19:42:39 +0100

> I will be able to reach 25 fps with VIC with a Pentium II and a PCI

some quick tests on a: Windows95, Pentium 233, 64Mb, ATI Video xpression,
Hauppauge WinTV ...

 receiving 30 fps in a 320x240 window uses 30-40% CPU
 transmitting 25 fps (300kbs) in a 320x240 window uses 95% CPU
 transmitting displaying 25 fps (220kbs) in a 320x240 window uses 80% CPU
 transmitting displaying 25 fps (100kbs) in a 320x240 window uses 60% CPU

Kris Hasler.