Subject: updated tools for Digital UNIX

From: Jeff Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:20:57 -0900

I've been away for a bit and am getting back to mbone usage.

I only seem to be able to get ahold of vic 2.7 for Digital UNIX that
supports the MME software.
VIC often complains about not being at 2.8.  Does anyone have vic
binaries for 2.8 with MME driver support available for download?

--

Jeff Harrison
Manager, Network Engineering

University of Alaska                      [email-masked]
910 Yukon Drive, Suite 102A               voice: 907.474.6329
Fairbanks, AK 99775-5320                  fax:   907.474.6964

---

From: "Alan J. Flavell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 15:53:49 +0000 (GMT)

> supports the MME software.

Excuse me for butting in without an answer, but can someone please point
to a resource that explains how this MME software fits together with
MBone?

We've been "doing MBone" in an admittedly patchy fashion for years.
I had been running vat (in send/receive) and vic (in receive-only)
successfully on older alpha stations, with the audio side using the Aaxp
software from the AudioFile package.

When we got a newer pcibus based alpha station, I found that it started up
with MMEserver, which I knew nothing about.  Trying to start vat gave a
nastygram about inability to connect to AF server. 

If I killed the mmeserver and started Amsb from the AudioFile package,
then it worked fine, so that's what I had been doing. 

These stations are being used for normal computing purposes, and just
occasionally used for viewing 'netcasts, so it hadn't been urgent to do
anything about this issue.  Having done a little research, it appeared
from this:
http://sauce.mmlab.uninett.no/maill/rem-conf/rem-conf-1996/Rem-Conf-July/0085.html

that there would be something in a private area at gatekeeper.dec.com.

I looked and indeed there was - including a version of vat 4.0b2 that
seemed to want to talk to the mmeserver, whereas the publicly available
version of vat in the MBone archives for OSF/1 seems to be 4.0b1 that
seems to want to talk to AudioFile.   Presumably this is what Jeff is
talking about here?

I've never seen these issues discussed before, and the www searches
didn't seem any more instructive.  Are there any resources to bring
one up to speed on this, please?

thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (Anne POSSOZ)
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 09:57:33 +0100

> binaries for 2.8 with MME driver support available for download?

I got vicbin-2.8-osf3.2.tar.gz from
	ftp://site=ftp.ee.lbl.gov/conferencing/vic

                    Anne Possoz
                    Service Informatique Central
                    Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne
                    1015 Lausanne (Switzerland)
                    Tel : (41/21) 693.22.49