Subject: loss/duplicate patterns on route changes ?

From: Luigi Rizzo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 18:03:22 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

one thing that has puzzled me lately is what loss/duplication patterns
one can expect for multicast traffic when routes change.

For unicast, there is one copy of each pkt. So, a packet in flight
during a route reconfiguration will probably find its way during route
reconfigurations, maybe suffering some detours. But for multicast i am
not quite sure on what happens, since packets are replicated all along
the distribution tree, and it could well be that during the
reconfiguration phase someone gets duplicates, and someone else does
not get anything.

Anyone has an idea on what happens, and especially, are there
experimental data on this subject ?

	thanks
	luigi
-----------------------------+--------------------------------------
Luigi Rizzo                  |  Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: [email-masked]    |  Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533           |  via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522           |  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/
_____________________________|______________________________________