Subject: 130.0.0.0/8 routing information

From: [email-masked] (Nobuhito Yamamoto)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 16:53:37 +0900

We are receiving 130.0.0.0/8 DVMRP routing information accidentally
from the MBone.
Our network number is 130.158.0.0/16.

At the connection point router, cisco 7000,  between the campus PIM mnet
and DVMRP tunnel to the MBone, The routing information for inside campus
is affected seriously.   It seems that 130.158.0.0/16 is handled as a
subnet of 130.0.0.0/8 by the address aggregation function.

We are dealing with the problem in ad hoc at present.

I would be deeply grateful if you had some information about this 
problem and could investigate the cause of it.

Thank you very much in advance.

Nobuhito Yamamoto
S.I.P.C., University of Tsukuba

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:51:52 PST

>We are receiving 130.0.0.0/8 DVMRP routing information accidentally

I noticed this the other day but assumed that it wouldn't affect
anyone because DVMRP uses longest-match routing.

On Friday, it was being announced by an MCI customer.  Today, it
appears to be being announced by bigred.atmint.uq.oz.au .

Thanks,
  Bill

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 22:11:07 +0200 (EET)

> anyone because DVMRP uses longest-match routing.

Cisco broke their implementation some time back so that they look at
table preferences first and then do longest match. They used to do it
the other way around. There are reasons for doing it this way too, though.
 > appears to be being announced by bigred.atmint.uq.oz.au .
Seems to be a popular thing to do to announce random aggregates.

Pete