Subject: 129.241.56 (same prefix different mask)

From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:16:03 -0500

I noticed that both 129.241.56/23 and 129.241.56/24 are currently
being announced through the MBONE. While it appears that mrouted
handles it ok, its might be an indication that something strange
is going on.
 
Can anyone at "University of Trondheim (NET-UNITNET)" explain?

Thanks,
Tom

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 08:14:32 PST

When mrouted 3.4 was still prevalent in the MBone (3.4 couldn't handle
overlapping routes), I ran a script that went through the routing tables
and found all of the overlaps.  If it's generally considered that overlaps
are a problem, then I can go back and start running the script again.

  Bill

---

From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 13:37:02 -0500

>are a problem, then I can go back and start running the script again.

I think that, in general, overlapping routes are ok. They encourage
summarization. However, this one, only being 1 bit different, looked
more accidental than intentional and I wondered if it was the result
of some multicast border router. It just peaked my curiosity.

Thanks,
Tom