Subject: Re: places all over the world - 3:20pm ast

From: [email-masked] (Kevin C. Almeroth)
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 17:32:55 -0800

To help solve this problem, I've just added a link on my Mlisten
page that updates the list of sdr groups, receivers, and transmitters
every 3 minutes.

Mlisten URL:  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/computing/Telecomm/mbone/
Stats URL:  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/computing/Telecomm/mbone/stats-file.txt

That should give everyone a good view of what I can see from Georgia
Tech.

Comments?

-Kevin Almeroth

---

From: John Hawkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 19:44:32 -0500 (EST)

Umm, forgive me for being silly here, but the folks involved do know
the "proper" way to debug this, and are just choosing not to, right?

Boy that sounds silly -- that is, I think I know the proper way to
debug this (maybe I'm wrong), but I thought I should check, since people
seem to be flailing a bit.

1.	Some people (group A) determine that they see fewer people on some RTP
session than they should. Other people (group B) don't see the same problem.

2.	Group A and Group B should communicate. Ideally they should do this
on the MBone RTP Audio session, perhaps setting up a special purpose
whiteboard for communicating. If things are so broken that using the MBone
isn't feasable, then they could use the appropriately scoped mailing list
(like mbone-na). We seem to be there now.

3.	Groups A and B should exchange a list of sourecs. Important
to not just give the names of sources, but rather their addresses. vat
dumps a convenient sort of list if you hit "l". Looks like this for MBone
RTP Audio (from my perspective) right now:

Michael Bowen   - TCG CERFnet [198.137.140.34/351981034]
Hugh LaMaster (NASA ARC) [129.99.48.19/351644965]
Bill Fenner (Xerox PARC) [13.2.116.11/350837873]
Michael Speer(Sun) [192.9.9.71/351281243]
Beau Williamson (cisco) [171.68.37.121/351069761]
Dwight Spencer (TeleEd) [198.164.125.5/1512903948]
David Meyer (cisco) [205.167.76.10/351809156]
David Comay (Sun) [192.9.9.71/351473533]
John Hawkinson (BBN Planet) [199.94.208.184/351701818]

4.	Someone should run mtraces to try and see what is losing how.
Probably those in group A should run mtraces to the sources that group B
sees that group A does not.

I'm sure Kevin's stuff helps out, but people should all know how to debug
this stuff in it's absence, since it's hard to depend on for any random
group.

--jhawk