Subject: 7-11 April is going to be tight on the MBONE (Was: Broadcasting of Infocom'97)

From: [email-masked] (R. P. C. Rodgers)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:43:15 -0500

Dear Colleagues,

The announcement from Kobe indicates that there will be at least four
conferences of international scope contending for MBONE bandwidth during
the week of 7-11 April.  WWW6 and CHEP '97 have announced to this group
many weeks ago and are actively advertising at the moment via sd/sdr.
I don't remember seeing a posting to these mail lists from the IETF,
but it is widely known that they plan on multicasting their traditional
two concurrent sessions that week.  We at WWW6 had also hoped to send
out two parallel tracks.  CHEP and Kobe may be using slightly different
time slots, but add all of this together and it is going to be a rather
tight week, requiring lots of coordination and good humor all around.

This highlights several broader issues:

1) Scheduling and priorities.  I know that we started advertising on
   the various MBONE calendars, these mail lists, and with sdr many
   weeks back.  CHEP started doing so about 7-10 days ago.  I may
   have missed email to these lists from IETF, but they are still not
   on sdr.  Kobe just announced today.  I am perfectly willing to work
   as we have in the past, trying best to set up machine and telephone
   communications between these four groups to try to coordinate to
   keep to the ancient and honorable "gentleperson's agreement" of not
   using more total bandwidth that the total of two concurrent A/V
   sessions, and treating the 4 events as "peers," regardless of how
   or when they announced their plans publically, but based on past
   events, just trying to coordinate two meetings can be a tricky task.
   If we have many more weeks like 7-11 April, are we going to have to
   get more serious about enforcing some rules of priority, based on
   advanced reservations, and perhaps some discussion of relative
   priorities?  I'd hate to get into this business, but will it be
   necessary?

2) Discussion of how international conferences might create temporary
   CBONEs (Conference backbones) that might allow concurrent conferences
   to occur with less mutual interference, perhaps getting their
   traffic off of the "public" Internet backbones.  This might even be
   coupled with (shudder) participation fees for remote sites to defray
   conference costs (of course, charges would be hard to require in the
   absence of some reasonable guaranteed level of service).  In
   principle, I would assume that widespread implementation of the
   appropriate multicast routing standards would obviate the need for
   a "CBONE" (or not?).

Some of these ideas might be pure crock (I'm not pushing them, just
trying to engage some of our better minds in discussing the underlying
issues!).  Perhaps some fodder hear from our colleagues at IETF
beer BOFs, if nothing else... 8^)

Best Regards (and drink a beer for me!), Rick Rodgers

> From [email-masked] Mon Mar 24 11:26:48 1997
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Broadcasting of Infocom'97
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 00:56:27 +0900
> From: Koji OKAMURA <[email-masked]>
> 
> Cyber Kansai is pleased to announce the MBONE broadcast of Infocom'97
> from Kobe on April 7-11,1997.  Including Gigabit Network Workshop,
> keynotes by Vinton Serf (MCI) and Toshiharu Aoki (NTT), panels and
> sessions. Broadcasting of recorded material is also available for US
> and Europe.
> 
>  Date: 
> 	7-11 April, 1997
>  
>  Time: 4/7 (Mon) 9:00 - 17:00 GMT+9 and 14:00 - 22:00 PST (recorded)
> 	Gigabit Networking Workshop
>        4/9 (Wed) 8:00 - 17:00 GMT+9 and 13:00 - 22:00 PST (recorded)
> 	Keynotes, Sessions and Panel
>        4/10 (Thu) 8:30 - 17:00 GMT+9 and 13:30 - 22:00 PST (recorded)
> 	Sessions and Panel
>        4/11 (Fri) 8:30 - 17:00 GMT+9 and 13:30 - 22:00 PST (recorded)
>         Sessions and Panel
>  
>  Title:
>       	Infocom' 97 from Kobe, Japan 
>  
>  URL:
> 	http://www.ieee.org/comsoc/infocom.
>   
> 
>  Contact:     
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> Best regards,
> 	  	Cyber Kansai (http://www.ckp.or.jp).
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 18:47:38 -0500 (EST)

Dear list members,

Are there any publicly accessible MBone sites?
I know of private networks using and broadcasting on it but was wondering
if there are any universities, research centers or organizations who
generously offer access to broadcast of tune in to the MBone from their
offices.

--
JOSEE M. PROULX
Sprinter Consulting
3601 Ste-Famille St. Ste 1003
Montreal, Quebec H2X 2L6
1-514-844-5304 (telephone)
1-514-844-5133 (facsimile)
[email-masked] (e-mail)