Subject: Question for an experimental tunnel setup

From: Kwang-Soo Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 12:03:44 -0500 (EST)

What I tried to do was setting up an experimental tunnel between two
subnets in our research net. Since the router (freebsd box with two cards)
in between those two subnets doesn't support multicast (suspect a card/driver
problem), none of them can get multicast traffic from outside world (the 
router is one of the routers attached to the outside backbone).

Thus, if a machine on one subnet can get multicast traffic through another
router then it can forward it to the another machine across two different
subnets via a tunnel (I came up with this idea to test tunnel setup. It's
not an ultimate goal).

When I started mrouted on both machines, it appeared that a tunnel was 
established fine. However, when I ran a multicast server program on one 
end and a client on the other end I couldn't get any multicast data.

Those machines used for setting up a tunnel are freebsd machines running
mrouted 3.8a with one multicast-enabled ethernet card each.

How can I test whether it really works?
Does this configuration make sense?
Thanks.

Kwang-Soo Kim