Subject: source specific pruning

From: Patrick De Muynck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 15:47:18 +0200

>From the IGMPv3 draft:

>Version 3 of IGMP adds support for ''source filtering'', that is, the
>ability for a system to report interest in receiving packets *only*
>from specific source addresses, or from *all but* specific source
>addresses, sent to a particular multicast address.  That information
>may be used by multicast routing protocols to avoid delivering
>multicast packets from specific sources to networks where there are no
>interested receivers.

My understanding is that we'll still have to wait a long time before
IGMPv3.  Are there possibilities to support source filtering via
Multicast proxies/firewalls?  I suppose the source filtering would
then have to be configured directly on the proxy (rather than
programming it in the application).

Regards,

Patrick De Muynck

BELNET, the Belgian National Research Network

[email-masked]  |	DWTC - BELNET
Tel : +32/2/238.36.76	    |	Wetenschapsstraat, 4
Fax : +32/2/513.57.30	    |	B-1000 Brussel