Subject: what group is this ? 235.80.68.83

From: Luigi Rizzo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 16:00:30 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

i just noticed that a Windows NT machine here is apparently listening to the
group 235.80.68.83 (it sends IGMPv1 reports for that group).

There are no other multicast hosts talking to that group, and the
administrator of that machine is not aware of any multicast application
running on its host.

Any idea on what could this be ?

	thanks
	luigi
-----------------------------+--------------------------------------
Luigi Rizzo                  |  Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: [email-masked]    |  Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533           |  via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522           |  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/
_____________________________|______________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Hall)
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 13:41:43 -0400 (EDT)

I don't know, but I am seeing 224.0.1.24, and it is
microsoft-ds.mcast.net.  Once this was discovered, I gave up hope on ever
finding out what this was in disgust. So what is it?

_J

---

From: Marty Hoag <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 14:44:03 -0500 (CDT)

> finding out what this was in disgust. So what is it?

   Did you try to contact the E-mail address listed on the ISI list of
Multicast Addresses?  I'm not sure how current (I didn't see a date) or
authoratative the list is though. 

   It is listed as:

224.0.1.24 microsoft-ds                    <[email-masked]>

and is at 

   ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/multicast-addresses

   Is there a better location for an authoratative, dated list?  Trying to
learn about the MBone is frustrating because of a lack of a single
definitive, up-to-date, authoratative single source of information.

   marty