Subject: Re: Re: MPEG for VIC

From: Mike OBradY <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 09:33:07 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Denis DeLaRoca (310) 825-4580 wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Oct 1996 19:16:32 +0000 GMT,
>    Mike OBradY <[email-masked]> said:
> > We have developed an MPEG multicast software to deliver TV/Video to
> > Desktops. We will have announcement soon on our web page. Cant release it
> > yet...
> 
> Have you put up the announcement yet? If so, where?
> 
> -- Denis
> 

I was away for a week and my mail build up (i subscribe to quite a few 
high volume lists)!!!

Its due for release after the New Year. They (the programmers) have it 
working on SGI at the moment (thats what they used for development). And 
thats the hosts transmission machine. check http://www.on-net.co.uk or 
http://www.on-net.com (not up yet). The Server side software will be 
available for sale.

The Viewer is being ported to other environments (work only started this 
month) to PC windoz, Mac, LINUX running X, Amiga (dont ask why but some 
of the programmers have them), Sun and of course SGI. The bigest headache 
is porting to all these MPEG accelerators or PC. Obviously the ones we 
have in house will get supported first. (I dont know the list).

The Viewer will work with Non-Encrypted Channels, and Encrypted Channels. 
The Viewer shows what compatiable programs are being transmitted and 
allows the viewer to select the 'channel'. It also takes credit card info 
and allows secure valadation for Encrypted channels. Once subscribed a 
key is sent from the Host to the viever. This can be for a fixed duration 
(month, year) or per programme. So it would allow Pay-Per-View for 
sporting events (ie Boxing). The viewers will be free. The viewer is not 
capable of either encoding or transmission.

The transmissions use MPEG-2 encoding and with a sutiable PC with MPEG 
accelerator will allow full screen viewing. It has been tested over IDSN 
line but may well work over the new 56K modems. We dont have any for 
testing yet. 

Broadcasts will be sent on a MultiCast network and thus reduce bandwidth 
requiements. But the two TV companies that we have contracts with plan to 
transmit 23 channels between them. So for a full feed plan for a Full T-1.

Initally we (under our contract with our clients) will handoff these 
streams at our  London & New York POPs. Sometime during the next year 
(97) we (under our contract) will install additional POPs in LA, DC, 
Chicago and Dallas. Also being looked at is Paris. That means we will 
provide the full feeds at these pops and its up to the ISPs to take what 
they want to where they want.

15 Channels will originate in USA and 8 from UK.

We do have test transmissions at the moment but these dont leave 
i-Exchange and are limited to two similentanous broadcasts.

If there are any concerns (especially about the volue of transmission 
then please address them to me and I'll find the right person to pass it onto 
in our organization.

Thanking you

Mike O'BradY
Tech Support
ON-NET

---

From: Chris Robson ATDNet Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 07:59:11 -0500 (EST)

Folks

I have a release of VIC for WIN95 but it doesnt generate video.  I 
thought it did but for some reason doesnt work.  What is the latest 
release and does it use Win95's video digitizer interface for generating 
video?

tks...chris

---

From: Isidor Kouvelas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:34:20 +0000

>release and does it use Win95's video digitizer interface for generating 

http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/I.Kouvelas/vic

Isidor

---

From: Chris Robson ATDNet Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 16:58:43 -0500 (EST)

Isidor

Thanks for the pointer, I had gotten this before but lost your mail last 
time.  This time I saved it first.  Anyway, I have another question is 
anyone working running mrouted on a win95 box so you can link through 
your service provider to a remote mrouted system.  See below illustrations:

pc(win95)(mrouted)<-------->dail into provider<--->Internet<---->target 
mrouted host<------>mbone

or

pc(win95)(mrouted)<--->dialed into host<------>mbone

another words anyone compiled mrouted for win95?

...chris

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:59:37 PST

Chris,

  Last time someone raised that question on this mailing list, Jim
Gemmell <[email-masked]> said: "No."

  (Not "Not yet" or "No but we're working on it" or even "No but we'd
consider adding it if enough people expressed an interest", just "No.")

  If you just want to use cheap PC hardware, mrouted runs fine on FreeBSD,
NetBSD and Linux.

  Bill

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 08:54:12 +0200 (EET)

> another words anyone compiled mrouted for win95?
You don't need that, win95 works just fine as a host dialing into a
access box that supports receiving IGMP messages over it's dialin
lines.

Pete

---

From: D E PRICE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 10:49:46 +0000

Dear Pete (and Friends),

	Can you supply some more deatils of actual products
etc that fit into you description of ....

" a access box that supports receiving
IGMP messages over it's dialin lines."

We have been preparing a document of `temporary
and intermittent Mbone connectivity' and I would
like to include a section on the type of equipment
you are indicating.

Thanks,

Dave Price, MICE NSC, Wales

---

From: Chris Robson ATDNet Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 07:25:28 -0500 (EST)

Bill

> consider adding it if enough people expressed an interest", just "No.")

This answer seems a bit short sighted.

>   If you just want to use cheap PC hardware, mrouted runs fine on FreeBSD,
This is fine but not all situations make this a choice one can use.  For 
example in my own case, I neither have nor can afford to configure my 
system with both Win95 (which is needed for other apps) and FreeBSD.  
This takes added hardware, ie disk space.  Nor does BSD or Linux support 
the video hardware I have and I suspect most of the other people who are 
doing VTC stuff on MS PCs. It would be nice to have the SP provide
it but generally they dont.

tks.....chris

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:00:40 +0200 (EET)

> like to include a section on the type of equipment
I haven't tried anything else than the Cisco gear having either
virtual or real async-ports. That includes 2509,2511,5100 and 5200.

Pete

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 08:54:12 +0200 (EET)

Pete

---

From: D E PRICE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 10:49:46 +0000

Dear Pete (and Friends),

Thanks,

---

From: Chris Robson ATDNet Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 07:25:28 -0500 (EST)

Bill

tks.....chris

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:00:40 +0200 (EET)

Pete

---

From: Kim Culhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:02:09 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Petri Helenius wrote:

>  > your service provider to a remote mrouted system.

> access box that supports receiving IGMP messages over it's dialin

Which term servers support this?

regards
kim

--
[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Leber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 15:11:37 -0600 (CST)

Isidor,

I tried the new version of vic which transmits the video ok, but
on the WIN95 system, the incoming video is garbled as well as 
my view of what I'm transmitting.  Have you seen this?

--mark

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark D. Leber                      | e-mail: [email-masked]
Computer Scientist                 | phone : (601)634-4607
USAE Waterways Experiment Station  | FAX   : (601)634-2301
3909 Halls Ferry Rd.               | WWW   : http://www.wes.army.mil/
Vicksburg, MS 39180                |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Isidor Kouvelas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 11:37:18 +0000

>my view of what I'm transmitting.  Have you seen this?

You are probably using a 16 bit display. Try using 256 colors or 24 bit.
As the web page states I have repeatedly tried to get the 16 bit mods from
LBL but got no reply...

Isidor

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 18:50:59 +0200 (EET)

> As the web page states I have repeatedly tried to get the 16 bit mods from
As far as I know the current released VIC supports 16 bpp displays.
Works nicely for me on freebsd.

Pete

---

From: Isidor Kouvelas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 18:19:15 +0000

>Works nicely for me on freebsd.

You are probably talking about the latest 2.7 release from LBL that is
receive only. I compiled 2.8 with the grabber stuff and it does not work with
16 bit displays. Have a look at: http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/I.Kouvelas/vic

Isidor

---

From: John Henson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 17:12:57 -0500 (EST)

I seem to be having the same problem (or a similar one).  When I transmit 
video using VIC (either localy or from my INDY), it scrambles the output.