Subject: Cisco config problem

From: "Peter H. Tebault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 07:44:36 -0800

I'm having trouble implementing multicast in my configuration on a set of Cisco
7500's.

There is a FDDI ring backbone, as well as a 100BT full duplex backbone.

All attached 7500's have PIM-DM turned on in the FDDI, not the 100BT ports.

The 7500's also have PIM-DM on another FDDI port, which goes toward the desktop
side of this LAN, hitting a 3COM corebuilder/lanplex 6000, which is functioning
as an L2 switch.

If I broadcast from a LAN segment, the announcement goes up through the 6000,
into the 7500, but doesn't travel through to the other 7500s on the
backbone-FDDI.  Needless to say, then, that my RTP data doesn't do anything
productive either.

Isn't PIM-DM supposed to be simple?

The configuration that we have is.
(from memory, but hey, it's simple.)

!
ip multicast-routing
!
interface fddi1/0
 ip pim dense-mode
!
end
!

Any help on particular commands that I need to implement would be much
appreciated.

-Pete-