Subject: IP Multicast SunOS 4.x

From: Liz Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:27:36 -0400

Hello-
I understand from Steve Deering that you will support the above
shareware softwared.  I am a Product Manager at Polaris Services, Inc.,
a third party support services vendor for the SUN/Unix environment, and
we have a very large customer who uses this software as a critical part
of their business.  We are trying to find out how they can get
comprehensive, real-time support for this software.  Do you support it,
and if so, how?  (Will you debug error reports, etc.).  What kind of
response do you provide?  And if you guys can't give timely support, do
you know of anyone who does?

Any assistance I can get with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Liz Ernst

---

From: Steve Deering <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 10:49:40 -0700

> you know of anyone who does?

Liz,

I'm sorry -- I should have been clearer about the nature of this mailing
list.  Many of the people on this list use the freely-distributed IP
multicast software for Unix, including SunOS 4.x, and it's a good place
to post a specific question if you are having trouble installing or
configuring that software -- often someone else has encountered and
solved the same problem, and can provide a fix or a suggested avenue of
further investigation.  However, this is completely on a voluntary basis
-- this is not any sort of official support channel for that software,
and is not set up to provide comprehensive, real-time support for anyone.
Perhaps someone reading this knows of (or is) a consultant or consulting
firm willing and able to offer such support?

Steve