Subject: BOF: Simple Multicast - A New Proposal (Nov 15th)

From: Marty Bickford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:00:34 -0800

There are important meetings (BOFs) that people on this 
list may want to attend. They will take place at iBAND.

iBAND is an in-depth, technical conference on new Internet 
bandwidth technologies and the opportunities they create in 
enterprise and ISP networks. Switching, IP Multicast, QoS, 
ToS, CoS, Integrated services, SLAs, voice over IP, DSL, 
Satellite, Caching, Gigabit Ethernet and more will be covered.
Speakers include: Judy Estrin, Fred Baker, Bob Braden, Radia 
Perlman, Kevin Werbach, Kevin Almeroth, Jonathan Rosenberg, 
Yoel Gat, Yoram Bernet, Brian Carpenter, Dave Thaler, 
Rod Murchison, and more.

iBAND is Nov 15-17 at the DoubleTree Hotel in San Jose, CA.
http://www.stardust.com/iband/

The BOF description is below. Other BOFs will include:

 - Linux and Bandwidth Management, David S. Miller
 - QoS-Enabled Windows Applications, Bob Quinn & Tim Moore
 - The Need for a QoS Forum, Martin Hall
 - Active Networks, Bob Quinn
 - RSVP: Past, Present, and Future, Bob Braden
 - Wave Division Multiplexing (WDM) and NTONC, Hal Edwards

Simple Multicast - A New Proposal (Nov 15th)
--------------------------------------------
This BOF discusses a design for multicast, called "simple 
multicast" that is very simple, low overhead, makes multicast 
address allocation trivial, and works both within and between 
domains. It is generally agreed that current multicast 
algorithms do not scale, so the belief is that the current 
algorithms (such as DVMRP, MOSPF, or PIM) be confined to a 
domain, and that another class of algorithms be used to 
interconnect domains. The central simplifying assumption 
behind "simple multicast" is that the group be identified 
by two pieces of information: the core address and the 
multicast address, and that members that want to join 
discover the 8 byte identifier rather than just the multicast 
address. The result is that instead of 28 bits of multicast 
address that must be administered over the entire Internet, 
in aggregatable blocks dynamically acquired by each domain, 
each core node can administer the entire multicast address space.

We will compare this approach to the current PIM/BGMP/MASC/AAP 
approach, as well as to the recently suggested Express model, 
which deals only with per-source trees. 

Led by Dr. Radia Perlman of the Boston Center for Networking, 
Sun Microsystems Laboratories

You do need to register. Register and get more information 
on iBAND at: http://www.stardust.com/iband/

____________________________________________________
Marty Bickford  - 408.879.8080 (8081-fax)
Stardust Forums - http://www.stardust.com

iBAND 98        - http://www.stardust.com/iband/