Subject: Re: Problems with VIC, SunVideo and Solaris 2.6

From: David Comay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 17:38:38 -0700 (PDT)

> It is a bug in the Sol2.6 distribution. 
> 
> Copy the missing file from a Sol2.5.1 box and you are fine. 

Actually, it isn't a bug but rather the file in question moved from

	/opt/SUNWits/Graphics-sw/xil/lib/pipelines/xilSUNWrtvc_ucode.a

to

	/usr/openwin/lib/xil/devhandlers/xilIO_SUNWrtvc_ucode.a

As the vic documentation states, the Solaris `vic' binary doesn't use the 
standard XIL API to access the SunVideo card and may not work in later Solaris 
releases.  Instead, you can do one of the following:

1) Use the `vic.xil' binary (with some degradation in frame capture performance) 
but which works fine under Solaris 2.6.
	
2) If you examine the vic-2.8 source, you'll see that vic firsts looks for the 
xilSUNWrtvc_ucode.a file in the current directory.  Create the symbolic link ala
	
	% ln -s /usr/openwin/lib/xil/devhandlers/xilIO_SUNWrtvc_ucode.a \
		xilSUNWrtvc_ucode.a

and the direct-device `vic' will run fine.

3) Finally, you can recompile the `vic' binary after making the obvious change 
to grabber-rtvc.cc or if you're desperate, you can even edit the supplied 
binary. :)

> I reported this to Sun during the beta-program and now when they have released 
> the final 2.6 but still no official response (yet, although I don't expect to 
> get any anyhow).

Um, this isn't an official response either but I'll try and track down your 
report.  Thanks.

dsc

---

From: Chris Robson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 14:38:10 -0400 (EDT)

David

Will I did all this stuff and when I run VFCTOOL I see my smiling face
just fine.  However, when I run either release of vic 2.8 or 2.7a38 the
videopix encode device is not highlighed.  That is I can only pick
parallax or sunvideo not videopix even though it on this list.  Any ideas?

thanks...chris