Subject: invalid origin

From: [email-masked] (Chris Willing)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 16:17:45 +1000

Can anyone decipher the following warning message, multiple copies of which
filling my SYSLOG at the rate of 6 to 8 per minute. There are about 6-8
different hosts referred to in these warnings. First message was
Mar 26 20:26 (Aust Daylight Saving Time).

Apr  4 16:07:09 4D:redgate mrouted[8542]: warning - 129.78.64.5 reports an invalid origin (193.167.64.0) and/or mask (fffffe00)

redgate is our end of a tunnel to 129.78.64.5. Our end is an SGI with IRIX 5.3
but mrouted version unknown (came with IRIX 5.3).

chris
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Chris Willing                  Telephone   (61-2) 351 3914              |
|  VisLab, A28                    Facsimile   (61-2) 660 2903              |
|  University of Sydney           email       [email-masked]     |
|  NSW 2006 Australia             http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/           |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: "Danny J. Mitzel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 10:51:44 -0800

On Thursday, April 04th 1996 at 16:17 +1000,
in message <[email-masked]>
Chris Willing writes:

>> Apr  4 16:07:09 4D:redgate mrouted[8542]: warning - 129.78.64.5 reports an i
 > nvalid origin (193.167.64.0) and/or mask (fffffe00)
>> 

as near as I can tell the subnet and mask above look fine to the latest
versions of mrouted which support classes routing.  note that the above
subnet and mask looks like a supernetted range of class C addresses.  maybe
an older version of mrouted [pre-3.5?] would barf on this.  what version is 
reported in your syslog at mrouted startup or via mrinfo?

good luck!
danny

---

From: "Danny J. Mitzel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 10:52:10 -0800

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 12:02:45 PST

Chris Willing writes:
> Apr  4 16:07:09 4D:redgate mrouted[8542]: warning - 129.78.64.5 reports an 
> invalid origin (193.167.64.0) and/or mask (fffffe00)

This is a pre-3.5 mrouted complaining about a CIDR advertisement.  You
need to upgrade your mrouted (which means upgrading your kernel) to get
these messages to go away.

The appropriate patches are available from ftp.sgi.com, in
sgi/ipmcast/IRIX5/5.3/mrouted3.8.tar.Z .

  Bill