Subject: PIM for Linux

From: "Roberto Barnes (SENACYT)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 14:42:16 -0500

Where can I get a good implementation of a PIM
router for Linux??

We are in the process of developing the national
MBone of the Republic of Panama, and we want to
experiment with DVMRP and PIM.

Since one of the goals is to familiarize the participants
(the major national universities) with multicast routing
protocols, we will give each a Linux box, so they will
have to "tunnel" through their routers (ciscos) to create
the MBone.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Roberto D. Barnes
National Bureau of Science and Technology (SENACYT)

---

From: Matti Aarnio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 22:50:23 +0200 (EET)

> Where can I get a good implementation of a PIM

	Nowhere.  It is under development for 2.1 -series
	of kernels.

> experiment with DVMRP and PIM.

	Sorry, have to fold this, though perhaps there was
	a shorter path to that directory somewhere in the
	system too...  umm..

	ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/networking/services/multicast/LINUX/
		mrouted-3.81-linux.tgz

	I don't remember who made the changes necessary, but
	vanilla mrouted-3.81 does not work (nor compile?)

	You need Linux kernel from 2.0 series, preferrably lattest.
	(You can also use 2.1 series kernels, I do..)

...
> National Bureau of Science and Technology (SENACYT)

	/Matti Aarnio <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>

---

From: Matti Aarnio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 22:50:23 +0200 (EET)

...

---

From: Brad Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 14:41:08 -0500

Matti Aarnio wrote:
...
...

I'm not convinced that version of mrouted works correctly, at least
with a Linux 2.0.27 kernel.  I in the middle of tracking down what
looks like some "missing prunes".  It seem that pruning works sometimes
and fails at other times.

[I know there's a prune/constipation joke here somewhere, but I'll refrain]

The symptom is the reception of packets from some subset of sources
sending to a group to which no one is subscribed.  (and to be honest,
I have not yet ruled out bugs in the code running on the tunnel
source).  It seems to get worse with time... (but given the way prunes
work, this is not suprising to me and may well be a hint)

I put a binary version of mrouted-3.81 for linux in
ftp://ftp.american.com/pub/mbone which appears to work in some cases,
but it exhibits the "missing prune" behavior.  I suspect it's functionally
equivalent to the file quoted above...

-brad