Subject: Averge Load produced by Mbone

From: "Jon 'tex' Boone" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 08:31:21 -0500

Folks,

  We are interested in knowing how much load other sites are seeing on
  their mbone routers.  Ours is a Sun Sparc2 and it appeared to be
  receiving about 1 - 1.5 Mb/s yesterday afternoon (starting around
  16:00 EST).  And it sent out a similar amount of traffic.

  Is this type of load normal these days?  It turns out that the
  subnet we have it on is way to busy to have an additional 1 Mb/s
  thrown at it, so it seems that we need to either 1) move the mbone
  router to a different subnet or 2) start using our cisco routers for
  multicast distribution.

  Frankly, we are concerned about the impact that this will have on
  the performance of our ciscos.  Can anyone share some of their
  experience with using the ciscos this way?  We have two 7513s and
  three 7507s.  The 7507s all have RSP4s with 128MB RAM.  The 7513s
  are currently configured with RSP2s and 80 MB RAM.

--------------------------------------------------
Jon Boone                         Network Engineer
ISC Networking          University of Pennsylvania
[email-masked]                   (215) 898-2477

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 09:38:46 -0600

>   experience with using the ciscos this way?  ...

My incoming DVMRP comes to a 7513 with RSP2 with 32MB, 9 FDDI's and 4
fast ethernets.  (This router does not carry anything like a full
global BGP table.)  It's running at about 12% CPU, with 9% at
interrupt level.  IGMP + PIM add up to less than a 1% load right
now.  We have 6206 DVMRP routes and the inbound tunnel (which does
pruning) is bringing in 439000 bits/sec, 134 packets/sec.

Except for our TUNNEL to the provider, we run dense-mode PIM
throughout, and the maintenance effort is nearly zero.
___________________________________________________________________
Matt Crawford               [email-masked]               Fermilab
PGP2 0x566F63C5 - D5 27 83 7A 25 25 7D FB   09 3C BA 33 71 C4 DA 6A
PGP5 0xC175B1C3 - 74AC 501A 450B F479 C2AF 03B0 7BA5 F5B1 1D6E 65C1

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 10:54:11 -0500

>  16:00 EST).  And it sent out a similar amount of traffic.

Are you sure your downstream sites are pruning OK?  We had a similar
experience here at MIT a few months ago that seems to have been a bug
in the ancient alpha-release of mrouted that we had been running.
Ungrading solved the problem.

Cheers,
	Mark