Subject: IPIP

From: Justinus Andjarwirawan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 09:20:11 +0700 (GMT+0700)

What is IGMP and IPIP that are needed for multicast routing? or tunnelling?

---

From: Magnus Danielson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 05:58:56 +0200

>>>>> "JA" == Justinus Andjarwirawan <[email-masked]> writes:

 JA> What is IGMP and IPIP that are needed for multicast routing? or tunnelling?

IGMP - Interner Group Managment Protocol

Used as signaling protocol between hosts and multicast capable routers
to let hosts join and leave multicast groups.
Both DVMRP and PIM messages are part of the IGMP family.

See RFC 1112 Host extensions for IP multicasting among other documents
for more on IGMP.

IPIP - IP in IP

The tunneling principle prior to GRE. Used by Mrouted for DVMRP
tunnels.

See RFC 1853 IP in IP Tunneling for IPIP tunneling.

See draft-ietf-mboned-intro-multicast-02.txt for more info on the
topic multicast and all that.

PS. Sometimes can a peek into http://www.it.kth.se/docs/rfc/ be
rewarding, but just sometimes ;)

Cheers,
Magnus