Subject: New MBone book

From: Yves Lepage <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 96 14:42:45 -0500

Hi all,

I would like to plug a new book (of which I am a co-author, so that's a motivated
plug) about the MBone:

MBone: Multicasting Tomorrow's Internet
by Kevin Savetz, Neil Randall, and Yves Lepage
ISBN: 1-56884-723-8

Published by IDG Books Worldwide, Inc.
An International Data Group Company
919 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 400, Foster City, CA 94404

You can check the promo pages at http://www.northcoast.com/savetz/mbone
This page contains a link to IDG's homepage.

The intended audience for that book is people who heard about the MBone
and want to know more about it, what it is, how to get on it, etc... How
to create your own events, what rules must be followed (Do not flood the MBONE
with 400kbps of video), what software to use etc...

The book has also been made suitable for ISP's who would like to offer MBONE services to their
customers and would like to have more know-how. The writing also takes into
consideration, those sites who don't have a high speed link to the Internet and
want to know if they can use the technology for their own use or if they have
a high speed link, how the MBone can be useful to them.

Basicly, it is a book that will serve as guidance for the first steps into
this other universe which is the MBone. Things are explained in a way that
(I think) breaks the old paradigm from the FAQ that says "you gotta be a network
guru if you want to get onto the MBone". The book also is technical enough
so that for example, an ISP will be able to setp itself up with an MBONE router
and be able to provides MBone services to its customers, and be able to charge
for it.

Finally, as I discovered while writing that part of the book, understanding the what
and how of administrative scopes wasn't a totally easy job. :-) I've put it all in this
book, what they are, what they can do for you, how they interact with SDR and how
to set them up.

I won't abuse so that's it. :-)

Regards,
Yves Lepage