Subject: Re: mrouted with HP-UX 10.20

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Gueniche)
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 17:42:27 +0200

>  
>  Hi folks,
>  has anyone ever run mrouted3.8 or mrouted 3.9beta3 on a HP-UX 10.20 box?
>  The binaries I got from http://www.video.ja.net/mice and from
>  ftp.parc.xerox.com do not do give me anything but an error message
>  from getsockopt (MRT_VERSION: perhaps your kernel is too old: Invalid argument)
>  The guy who administers the box says he definitely got the latest kernel
>  available (so probably it's too new...).
> 
>  The source code for 3.9beta3 doesn't compile; we probably lack the proper
>  header file igmp.h , if it's different at all from HP's ip_igmp.h .
>  I tried including the latter instead, and consequently got error
>  messages for all occurrences of any MRT_* option (undefined) in the
>  setsockopts in kern.c.
> 
>  Is there any chance to make this work, or do I definitely need another
>  version of the OS?
> 
>  Thanx, Susanne

Hello Susanne,
I got the same errors and Bill Fenner said :
 
  Ask HP if they have a kernel patch to upgrade to the 3.5 multicast
kernel.  Alternately, you could try compiling mrouted with
-DOLD_KERNEL but I'm not positive that it works. (1)

(1) yes that not works

this is a recent -unofficial, response of HP:

mrouted (DVMRP)
************************************************************************
For 10.30:

The mrouted daemon released on HP-UX 10.30 is based on the public domain
mrouted 3.8 from Bill Fenner. mrouted 3.8 is a replacement for
mrouted versions 3.5, 3.6, and 3.7 with bug fixes. It runs on top of an
IPM 3.5 kernel that is implemented in HP-UX 10.30 stream TCP/IP.

Configuration File Changes
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The configuration file syntax for mrouted 3.8 has been changed as
follows:

  * Named boundaries are now allowed.

  * Additional subnets can be configured by using the new altnet option
    of the phyint command.

  * The default value of the rate_limit parameter of the tunnel command
    has been changed to 500Kbps.

Other Changes
------------------------------------------------------------------------

  * The kernel and mrouted makes sure that each is the correct version
    to prevent problems with mismatched kernel/mrouted versions.  An
    mrouted that is too old will die with the following error:

       can't enable DVMRP routing in kernel:
       Option not supported by protocol.

  * mrouted can accept and propogate a default route.

  * The kernel route cache keeps source-specific routes instead of
    subnet routes, eliminating hashing and longest-match problems.
    Also, mrouted now allows classless routing.

  * Cached kernel routes get deleted only if no traffic is flowing to
    facilitate multicast trace routing.

cordially,
daniel