Subject: Configuring Cisco IOS 11.2 for NTP multicast

From: "Christopher J. Tengi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 13:57:08 -0400

I apologize if this is off-topic, but this seemed like an appropriate place to 
ask this question....

I have searched through the IOS documentation on www.cisco.com but have been 
unable to find any instructions on configuring IOS 11.2 for NTP multicast 
(broadcast, yes, but multicast, no).  Might it be as simple as saying:

	ntp peer 224.0.1.1

and watching the packets fly by?  I don't want to just try this and find out 
that I am trashing the MBone.  Is anybody else doing this already?  Is this 
even possible?

					Thanks,
						/Chris

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Hall)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 15:13:19 -0400 (EDT)

I don't think the IOS software supports multicast. I tried it in our test
environment once, but it behaved wildly different than the regular NTP.
The solution was to have a workstation listen to the mcast announcements
and then be a peer with the router.

_J