Subject: Re: Filters not working

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 18:23:15 PDT

Vague speculation:

Join messages are (I think) another vector for infection, and the PIM
Join messages don't get filtered by your input filter.  If there is
an infected router at the leaf of your network, it will send a join
towards the multicast route and of course match on default or the
gateway of last resort, which is presumably towards the router you're
playing with.

Why not try inoculating your leaf routers first, and walk up the tree,
since routers lower down might be re-infecting routers higher up with
Join messages?

  Bill

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 19:18:23 -0700

>> gateway of last resort, which is presumably towards the router you're

    Yes, you are right Bill. And you can't filter those joins specifically
    with access-group commands.

Dino

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 19:18:23 -0700

Dino