Subject: Re: What is IGMPv2

From: Thomas Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:02:18 +0200

Hi,

> 
> Dear Sir
> 	May you please tell me what is it IGMPv2, and what it is used for ...
> 

	IGMP v2 is used -just as IGMPv1- to query localy (at the leaves 
	of a multicast capable network) if group members for multicast 
	groups are present.

	IGMP v2 is specified in an official internet draft, and 
	contains some -relatively small- enhancements of IGMPv1,
	which improove mainly the leave latency (when the last
	group member of a certain group goes away)

	It is compatible with IGMPv1. On a cisco router the versions
	are detected dynamically and if a IGMPv1 system is present, we 
	switch automaticaly to verison 1 in the queries.

best regards	...	thomas

_______________________________________________________________________
Thomas Kramer          		 Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert
Customer Engineer   **   Routing Protocols   **   European TAC Brussels
Phone: ++32 2 778 4278 /FAX: ++32 2 778 4300 /e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 15:22:48 +0200 (MET DST)

> 	switch automaticaly to verison 1 in the queries.

As of today, the biggest improvement in performance by using igmp-v2 instead
of igmp-v1 can be gained in local area networks with switches that do
run CGMP. (My 2cent).

Toerless