Subject: CMU Holiday Concert Internet Broadcast

From: Justin Daly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 05:52:49 -0500

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Wed,  4 Dec 1996 16:47:12 -0500 (EST)
From: Riccardo Schulz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Holiday Concert (revised)

This will provide general and technical information concerning the live
broadcast of the Holiday Concert from Carnegie Mellon University on
Friday, December 6, at 11:30 a.m.

A complete list of the program and the artists is available separately.

You are invited to pass this information to as many people as possible
to publicize the event and the broadcast protocols.

The Carnegie Mellon Holiday Concert with the Carnegie Mellon Choirs and
Orchestra conducted by Robert Page will be broadcast live on WQED-FM in
Pittsburgh, and world-wide via the Internet.

The concert will take place in the Grand Hall in the College of Fine
Arts on the Carnegie Mellon campus on Friday December 6. The broadcast
will begin at 11:30 a.m. EST and last for approximately two hours. (The
actual concert will begin at noon and last for one hour.)

Anyone in the Pittsburgh area can tune to 89.3 on the FM dial and hear
the live broadcast of the concert on WQED-FM.

Anyone with a networked computer or home computer that has access to the
Internet can hear the same broadcast anywhere in the world, delayed by
only the few milliseconds it takes to send the audio information from
the Carnegie Mellon campus through the WQED-FM transmitter, and then
through cyberspace to its eventual destination.

The Internet broadcast (audio only) will use two different formats; the
choice of which one to use is entirely up to the end user, and depends
largely on which format is available.

The two formats are "MBone" and "RealAudio." Anyone who has used either
of these formats can simply turn on and tune in at concert time and
enjoy the event. For those who have never tried listening to an audio
event on the Internet, it will take a short time to download the
appropriate software and configure it so that you are ready to listen in
time for the event.

The best location for general information on the Internet Broadcast of
this event can be found on WQED-FM Homepage at:

http://www.wqed.org/fm/netcast/

This is the closest to one-stop shopping for general and technical
information on the event. There is a complete listing of the concert
program, plus links to download the software that is necessary to listen.

Additional information on the connections protocols is given below.

The MBone Format.

MBone stands for the Multicast Backbone on the Internet. The format was
developed by Steve Deering at Xerox PARC, and uses IP addresses
allocated to the address range of 224.2.*.*.

MBone is typically available through computer networks in business,
industry, government, and education. Contact your Network Service
Provider to see if your network subscribes to and distributes programs
through MBone.

Most computers and operating systems today get shipped from the factory
with IP multicast (or IGMPv2) support built into them. The actual
software to run MBone on any individual computer is available to
download without charge for Sun Sparc stations running UNIX as well as
PC and Macintosh platforms.

For more information on MBone, use the following Web site:
http://www.mbone.com/mbone/how-to-join.html

RealAudio Format

RealAudio is a software program developed and available from Progressive
Networks in Seattle, Washington, a company that specializes in the
delivery of real-time audio-on-demand over the Internet. Their products
are designed to enable users of personal computers and other digital
devices to send and receive audio and audio-based multimedia services
using existing infrastructure on widely used operating systems.

WQED-FM and the Department of Music at Carnegie Mellon are indebted to
Progressive Networks for allowing this event to be broadcast via their
server.

RealAudio is a robust audio format that delivers near-CD quality sound
(stereo) via the Internet through high speed modem connections to home
computers anywhere in the world. The program is available for a 30-day
trial period via the World Wide Web for PC and Macintosh formats, as
well as for UNIX.

To download RealAudio, direct your Web browser to:
http://www.realaudio.com/products/player/download.html

For anyone who already has RealAudio, or intends to download a RealAudio
player, the data-stream that will be used requires RealAudio Player 3.0.
Carnegie Mellon Network Development will attempt to provide
compatibility of Version 2.0 in addition to the preferred format.

Here are additional Web sites for technical information, and names and
addresses to contact for general information concerning the event:

For the complete program listing plus built-in links to RealAudio and MBone:
http://www.wqed.org/fm/netcast/

To go directly to the MBone page for more information, use the following
Web address:
http://www.mbone.com/

for the MBone FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) use:
http://www.mbone.com/mbone/mbone.faq.html

for RealAudio trial download (or to see and purchase other RealAudio
products) go to:
http://www.realaudio.com/products/player/download.html

For the Netscape plug-in (RealAudio) selector, use:
http://www.net.cmu.edu/holiday.ram

for RealAudio trial download (or to see and purchase other RealAudio
products) go to:
http://www.realaudio.com/products/player/download.html

Personal contacts:

Stephen Baum, producer, WQED-FM
412-622-1436
[email-masked]

Riccardo Schulz, Carnegie Mellon University Department of Music
412-268-3450 or 412-687-3155
[email-masked]

Sean Goller,  Network Development, Carnegie Mellon University
[email-masked]