Subject: MBONE on ATm

From: Work Work Work <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 17:35:57 +0800 (SGT)

Hello,

I have a SPARC10 (A) that is connected to a FORE ATM switch. It is also
connected to a local LAN using 10BaseT.  Another SPARC5 is connected to
the FORE ATM switch.  Another SPARC10 (B) residing in another subnet has a
mbone tunnel to the SPARC10-A. 

If I specify the MBONE tunnel from A to B using the ATM interface IP
address, mrinfo indicates that the tunnel is down with the SPARC10-B.

However, even the SPARC5 which is on the same ATM subnet as the
SPARC10-A, cannot receive the video and audio broadcast.

Hence my questions are:

1.	Do I need to change anything on the mrouted or on the configuration
of the ATM interface to enable multicasting?
2.	Do I need to run in.routed to do routing on the SPARC10-A?

Thank you.

Regards,

Kwong-Yeong Tung
Computer Centre
National University of Singapore
email:[email-masked]

---

From: Graeme Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 11:40:11 +0100 (BST)

> of the ATM interface to enable multicasting?

The ATM interfaces on the SPARC 10A and SPARC 5 will need to support
multicast and they need to be enabled, otherwise the SPARC 5 will not
receive any multicast traffic from  SPARC 10A.  mrouted on SPARC 10A needs
to be configured so that multicast is not disabled on the ATM interface -
this by default would be enabled.

> 2.	Do I need to run in.routed to do routing on the SPARC10-A?

Possibly or put in static routes. It looks like the tunnel is not working
because there is no unicast route over the ATM between SPARC 10A and SPARC
10B. 

=============================================================================
Graeme Wood                                 Email: [email-masked]
Unix Systems Support                        Phone: +44 131 650 5003
The University of Edinburgh                 Fax:   +44 131 650 6552
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scottish MICE National Support Centre       Email: [email-masked]
for your multimedia conferencing support    WWW:   http://mice.ed.ac.uk/mice/
=============================================================================