Subject: CISCO to PowerHub Multicast Routing

From: [email-masked] (Craig M Votava)
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 09:24:46 -0500

Folks-

I'm really frustrated, trying to get a CISCO running 11.1 to do multicast
routing with a FORE PowerHub, running 2.0 software. Please help if you can.

We will be upgrading the software in the PowerHub, but not for awhile yet. Is
it possible for me to get this configuration up and running in some way?

What I'm looking for is two detailed, step-by-step procedures (one for the
cisco and one for the powerhub) on the exact commands to run (assuming default
configs to start), to make these two route multicast packets in the way that
"Makes the most sense". I'm going for simple here, no extra, added security
lists or anything fancy. Get me up to basic functionality!

Here's the setup. 

     |------------------|                |--------------------|
     |                  |                |                    |
     |   CISCO 11.1     |     Fiber      |    PowerHub 2.0    |
     |   100.20.1.1     |----------------|    100.20.1.2      |
     |                  |                |                    |
     |------------------|                |--------------------|

Please make this so simple, that a dummy can explain it. I ask this because
I'm the person that has to explain how to configure these two devices, to the
people who actually type in the commands. Please include descriptions of any
other relevant commands that might let us check the status of the multicast
routing on either of the boxes.

Thanks

-Craig

	()_()	Craig Votava
	 (_)	Lucent Technologies
		[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:41:55 -0700 (PDT)

>> routing with a FORE PowerHub, running 2.0 software. Please help if you can.

Someone correct this if it is wrong, but I believe the PowerHub
is DVMRP only.  So, I think your one and only option for the
connection shown is to configure a DVMRP tunnel between the 
two routers.  I don't know where the PowerHub documentation is, 
but, Cisco has some information that may help you at the following 
site:

  ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/ipmulticast.html

--
  Hugh LaMaster, M/S 258-5,     ASCII Email:  [email-masked]
  NASA Ames Research Center     Or:           [email-masked]
  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000  No Junkmail:  USC 18 section 2701
  Phone:  415/604-1056          Disclaimer:   Unofficial, personal *opinion*.