Subject: Reproducable panic, any mrouted, DIGITAL Unix 4.0(B/C/D)

From: "Martin Bahr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:28:36 +0200 (MET DST)

( ... Hmm, possibly my first request has gone astray ...
I never saw it in the list, so here is the second attempt,
please don't feel bothered if it appears a second time: )

I tried to run the mrouted supplied by DIGITAL on an AlphaServer 
400 4/233, Digital Unix 4.0(D) as one end of a DVMRP tunnel between 
a Cisco 7000 under IOS 11.2(7) and the Digital machine.
In parallel I tried mrouted 3.8 and mrouted 3.9, compiled with
gcc 2.8. 
The attempts always end with a reproducable panic (kernel memory
fault), which seems so much similar to that panic You would get with
an unpatched DIGITAL Unix 4.0(B) under the same conditions, that 
now I fear the same bug in the unpatched version 4.0(B) was carried
on to 4.0(C) and 4.0(D).
Nevertheless there was a patch for 4.0(B), never included in the 
official patch list nor seemingly included in the generic Digital
Unix, which affected inet.mod resp. ip_mroute.o and kernel locking.
It was supplied by Ajay Kachrani in June 1997 and seemed to solve 
the problem without side effects.

Did anybody run into the same problem, and if so, is there already 
a patch available? Ajay: Eventually the same matter as with
Digital Unix 4.0(B)? I also would mention to downgrade to version
4.0(B), if some friendly guy could stuff me with the neccessary patch
for 4.0(B).

Any help highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Martin Bahr

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin Bahr             | Phone: (+49)921 55-3152   FAX: (+49)921 55-3136
Rechenzentrum           | EMail: [email-masked]
Universitaet Bayreuth   | 
Universitaetsstrasse 30 |
95447 Bayreuth          |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Lowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 08:53:57 -0500 (CDT)

> From: "Martin Bahr" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Reproducable panic, any mrouted, DIGITAL Unix 4.0(B/C/D)
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:28:36 +0200 (MET DST)
> 
Yes, we ran into the same problem.  We have an open call logged at
the moment and we are awaiting a patch for a 4.0b kernel w/ patch
kit #7 installed.  I suspect a similar patch will be required
for 4.0c/4.0d.  When I hear something back from Digital, I will
let you know.

	-Jim