Subject: Re: mTunnel

From: [email-masked] (Kevin C. Almeroth)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 12:42:05 -0400 (EDT)

>>>> If they can make it work, they will not have insentive to make it work
>>>> correctly.
>>
>>    And of course, it defeats the whole point of multicast.
>>
>>    People continue to complain about content and app vendors doing push
>>    technology the wrong way. Well if they do go and make product that runs
>>    over IP multicast, the infrastructure people better give them native
>>    multicast and not tunneled multicast or we gain nothing.

Who are the "people" (who continue to complain), and is this group 
orthogonal to the "infrastructure people"?

1.  Most content and app vendors doing push technology do not offer a
    multicast solution, especially one that is transparent to the end
    user.

2.  MBone content provided via hacks has the potential to motivate ISPs
    to offer native multicast and then enforce rules to eliminate tunnels.
    (I think the history of the MBone and what happened at MCI is the
    matter-of-fact model for how the MBone will continue to evolve.)

The general attitude that some have of "do multicast the right way or 
don't play in our sandbox" isn't going to help much.

-Kevin Almeroth