Subject: University of Washington sending 400kb/s to mbone

From: Van Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 96 13:40:33 PDT

Host gadwall.cac-sil.washington.edu is sending 400kb/s rtp video
to the mbone at ttl 127.  The video appears to be of someone
speaking on a phone and staring at a screen.  The video is being
generated by Precept's coder.  Precept's server software
apparently doesn't allow the inclusion of an email address so I
haven't been able to contact this person to let them know they
are behaving anti-socially.

Based on the rtp reception reports, I would guess that some sort
of demo or debugging session with Precept is in progress.  This
is the third time that Precept has been associated with very
high rate video sent at large ttls.  Perhaps the MBone FAQ
bandwidth guidelines should be required reading for support &
sales people.  Thanks.

 - Van

---

From: Stephen Casner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 16:56:15 -0700 (PDT)

Van,

> to the mbone at ttl 127.

The UWash folks were transmitting at Precept's request for test
purposes.  The video bandwidth was supposed to be 128kb/s, per MBone
norms, but due to a bug the session bandwidth was not communicated to
the video server properly.  The server rate was manually corrected,
but that took a moment to do.  The bug has been fixed.

> Precept's server software

Actually, we can send the RTCP SDES email address item, along with the
phone number and location items, too, but we don't set those
automatically at installation time.  We've tried to use a conservative
policy for RTCP bandwidth utilization, as the RTP spec advocates.

> This

If they were trying to cheat and send high rates "just to test", then
I would agree with you.  At least in this instance, we were attempting
to stay within the guidelines and the transgression was completely
unintentional.  I believe the duration was also quite short.

In any case, no wrath should fall upon the UWash folks.

							-- Steve