Subject: MBone and ISPs

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:39:40 -0700 (PDT)

Currently, I am shopping around for a reasonable ADSL solution for my home
boxes. Just finished talking to Concentric networks:  
.....        
Amancio: Your company sounds fantastic! Do you have MBONE connectivity?
Salesperson: Execuse me? Never heard of it what is it?
...
Amancio: thank you so much. If in the near term feature your company does
         decide to offer MBONE connectivity please send me mail.
Not sure how to deal with this situation , I suggested to the sales 
person to please keep track of how many potential customers / customers
are requesting MBONE services --- not sure that they will but I try.

Do we have a press kit or a web page targetted at the education of ISPs?

	Tnks!
	Amancio

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 18:07:39 -0700 (PDT)

Concentric/Internex engineering has done some experimentation 
with multicast with me.

-- 
--bill

---

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 18:13:05 -0700 (PDT)

Cool. The front-line people don't seem to be aware of the mbone .

Is is possible for me to get in touch with someone from Concentric 
that knows about MBONE connectivity?

	Tnks!
	Amancio

---

From: Jeremy Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 21:25:55 -0500

Even when you are an ISP, it isn't easy to get a mbone connection.
UUnet will only supply it to direct downstream customers, and they
apparently ignore requests from DS3 connected customers, (our upstream
provider has a DS3 to UUnet, and as of last week, still hadn't gotten
any responses from UUnet.)  This problem is not just UUnet, btw,  the
exact situtation applies to MCI also.  (They also have a MCI DS3...)
Sprint much to my suprise provided us a mbone connection when we needed
it, and we aren't even a "direct" downstream customer.  (We didn't have
time to wait for our upstream to wallow around trying to get someone
to listen, so I posted a message here, and got several helpful responses
and a working mbone feed in a few days.).

This is not to be taken as an attack on UUnet or MCI, they both have
good people working there, and probably is more a reflection of overload
on their part.  (A victim of their own sucess, perhaps).  One could argue
that more is due from providers that claim "commerical" mbone services.

At any rate second tier national providers like concentric might have
a harder time, as they not only have to build a mbone backbone,
but have to connect up somewhere, and today at least there really
isn't a production multicast routing tool that supports "peering".

Sigh...  It will be interesting to see how well multicast works
over asymetric connectivity.  (Assuming you actually will be getting
Adsl, as opposed to xDSL).  
At any rate good luck.

>Do we have a press kit or a web page targetted at the education of ISPs?

---
Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      [email-masked]
PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  | 512-458-9810
http://www.fc.net

---

From: "Jeff Young" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:29:42 -0400

no attack taken :-)

but check your facts next time.  if the provider in question can
provide us with a place to home a dvmrp tunnel and a route to
that machine that goes down the ds3 line to us, we will give 
him an mbone feed.  you can reach us at [email-masked] or on the
web at:

http://infopage.mci.net/Utilities/mbone.html

as for providers to whom you're not directly connected who would
give you an mbone feed, i thought we were past that dark piece of
history on the mbone.  

-- 
Jeff Young
[email-masked]

---

From: Victor Reijs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 15:34:41 +0200

Hello all of you,

Do people perhaps know of a web page that holds information of all/many
Mbone feed providers? I would like to know this for a project which is
thinking of using Mbone, and with the above information it can determine
the spread of possible viewers.

Thanks for your information.

All the best,

Victor

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 11:36:14 -0400

>the spread of possible viewers.

Not exactly what you're asking for, but you can probably get some
useful information from http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/mbone/, especially if
you're willing to parse the mwatch output.

Cheers,
	Mark