Subject: Re: Solaris2.4 kernel panic caused by vat

From: "Mark T. Ganzer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 09:32:39 -0800

I have a Sparc 5/Solaris 2.4 machine multicast 3.5 (pre 2/12/96) and have
not had any problems with VAT v4.0a2. However I tried to set up this same
machine last week to run mrouted 3.8 and it dies a HORRIBLE death after
running any video or audio session for more than a few minutes. In this
case, it doesn't panic the kernel, but actually locks the machine up tighter
than a drum that requires a power-cycle to reset.

At 09:47 AM 2/15/96 +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
>Vat v4.0a2 with Solaris 2.4, mrouted 3.5/3.8 kernel mods
>panics the kernel at random.
>
>usually load related, mouse shifts, window shifts, virtual
>desktop shifts, and audio active
>
>Very annoying. My opinion is Solaris is to blame: a user process
>should NEVER be able to panic a kernel, especially if not setuid
>(ie no diddles into /dev/mem etc)
>
>Anybody else seen this?

Mark Ganzer          Naval Command, Control & Ocean Surveillance Center,
[email-masked]      RDT&E Div (NRaD), Code 4123,  San Diego, CA
Phone: 619-553-1186       FAX: 619-553-4808

---

From: "Dwight E. Spencer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 15:55:35 -0400 (AST)

I have a sun sparc 4, solaris 2.4 , mrouted 3.5/3.8 with the optional audio 
kit installed.  

It works fine for me on this system, I've never had a problem.  However, 
if I put my SunVideo kit in, and try to work with the two of them both 
installed, my system will kernel panic with memory address alignment 
errors on various running tasks; from cron, bash, syslog to vi, vat, xv or 
xterms.

I've booted with the kernel debugger a few times (kadb) and sent debugger 
output to Sun techs and am awaiting a response.

dwight s.
====================

> >desktop shifts, and audio active

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dwight E. Spencer                    Canada's Community Access Network 
eMail: [email-masked],                            Server Administrator
                                          UNB, Fredericton, NB, Canada
Phone: +1 506 447 3153            Url:  http://cspace.unb.ca/~spencer/