Subject: WinNT and multicast?

From: Klein Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 16:14:58 +0100 (MET)

Hello!

I wonder if WinNT is able to exchange multicast packets or what I have to 
do to make it able to do this.
Do I need any add-ons or any special configuration? 

(I tried to connect with VIC to an existing mbonesession/IP-adress with 
port and got the following error message: IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP: Error code 10042
  And the manual for WinNT is very poor).

Martin Klein

----------------------------------------------------------------------
  ___________________          _-_   	     Martin Klein         
  \__(==========/_=_/ ____.---'---`---.____  Universitaet Karlsruhe
              \_ \    \----._________.----/  Institut fuer Logik,
                \ \   /  /    `-_-'          Komplexitaet und Deduktionssysteme
            __,--`.`-'..'-_                  Mail :[email-masked]	
           /____          ||            
                `--.____,-'            
...to boldly go where no one has gone before
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 17:39:44 +0200 (EET)

>   And the manual for WinNT is very poor).
WinNT 4.0 has IP multicast built in, if you use the bundled Microsoft
TCP/IP stack.

Pete

---

From: Beau Williamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 11:39:57 -0600

Klein,

This is an indication of a problem with your Ethernet NIC driver.  Contact
your vendor to get an updated version of the driver.

I had the same problem/error message under Win95 using a Xircom PCMCIA
Ethernet adaptor.  It took a new version of the driver and a new ndis.vxd
driver to fully fix the problem.  Other Ethernet PCMCIA cards that I had
did not have the problem.

Beau Williamson

---

From: Karl Auerbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 12:12:26 -0800 (PST)

> Do I need any add-ons or any special configuration? 

Yes, NT does support IP multicast.  It currently uses IGMP version 1.

The socket interface calls are slightly different than those on Unix
boxes; see Bob Quinn's notes at at http://www.sockets.com/

		--karl--