Subject: RE: SD packets

From: Arlie Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 12:05:24 -0500

As far as I know, SD packets _should_ be identical, or very similar.
If you are receiving 5-25 copies of each packet in quick succession 
(within one second, for example), then the routing infrastructure is 
probably duplicating packets.  However, if you are seeing duplicate 
packets that are spaced out to once per 30 seconds, or something 
similar, you are probably seeing the normal, intended behavior of the
tool.

-- arlie

----------
From: 	Petri Helenius[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: 	Saturday, March 02, 1996 10:07 AM
To: 	[email-masked]
Subject: 	SD packets

  Has anybody gotten any light on the issue of duplicate SD packets? Running
tcpdump I seem to be getting 5-25 copies of each packet, all similar. Seems
like this is going to be a real problem :-)

Pete

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 20:26:37 +0200

> similar, you are probably seeing the normal, intended behavior of the
Sorry not being clear. I see no problem with getting multiple similar
sd packets every couple of minutes. I see a problem of getting them spaced
like this:
tcpdump: listening on ed1
20:24:57.552964 also.radio.com.32784 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 173
20:24:57.569331 also.radio.com.32784 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 173
20:24:57.596438 also.radio.com.32784 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 173
20:24:57.623562 also.radio.com.32784 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 173
20:24:57.643272 also.radio.com.32784 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 173
20:24:57.657432 also.radio.com.32784 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 173
20:24:57.674070 also.radio.com.32784 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 173
20:24:57.687590 also.radio.com.32784 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 173
20:24:57.704967 also.radio.com.32784 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 173
20:24:57.748316 also.radio.com.32784 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 173
20:24:57.780993 also.radio.com.32784 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 173
20:24:57.806888 also.radio.com.32784 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 173
20:25:03.915847 habrok.uio.no.4164 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 207
20:25:03.934045 habrok.uio.no.4164 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 207
20:25:03.964463 habrok.uio.no.4164 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 207
20:25:03.982694 habrok.uio.no.4164 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 207
20:25:04.014651 habrok.uio.no.4164 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 207
20:25:04.045476 habrok.uio.no.4164 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 207
20:25:04.073002 habrok.uio.no.4164 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 207
20:25:04.096550 habrok.uio.no.4164 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 207
20:25:04.113831 habrok.uio.no.4164 > 224.2.127.255.sd: udp 207

Pete