Subject: RE: Mrouted on Windows NT

From: Jim Gemmell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 08:39:25 -0700

No.

>----------
>From: 	Dave Rubin[SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 	Monday, October 14, 1996 6:40 AM
>To: 	[email-masked]'
>Subject: 	Mrouted on Windows NT
>
>Is there a multicast router (i.e., mrouted) available for the Windows NT
>platform?
>
>
>--
>Dave Rubin
>Netcast Communications Corp.
>[email-masked]
>
>

---

From: "Carl Malamud [IMS]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 16:02:22 -0400 (EDT)

Dave -

To elaborate on the answer from my learned colleague at Microsoft ...
you might consider running another operating system on one of your
boxes if your need a platform to set up a router on.  Linux, BSDI
all work and I've even run mrouted on a Sparc 1 with 12 mbytes of
RAM.  The other option is to have your router handle the mbone
connection.  Most of the router vendors (e.g., Bay Networks, Cisco)
give you some support for this.

Carl

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 23:21:40 +0300 (EET DST)

> give you some support for this.
Not to forget that at least the Cisco implementation is far more
manageable than the mrouted out of the box. (and it *does* retransmit
prunes :-)

Pete

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 14:08:28 PDT

In message <[email-masked]> Petri Helenius wrote:
>manageable than the mrouted out of the box.

I guess if you're used to managing Ciscos this *might* be true.
At several IDMR meetings and MBONE BOF's, I've heard people say
that one of the reasons that they have so much trouble with
multicast deployment on their native routers is because it's
so hard to configure them; mrouted was cited as being almost
"too easy" to configure.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

To expand on Carl's reply a little, I'd suggest using FreeBSD over
Linux for multicast routing, at least for now.  The Linux kernel
implementation is still immature and (last I checked) lacks packet
counters which are extremely important for debugging.

  Bill

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 14:45:22 -0700

>> so hard to configure them; mrouted was cited as being almost

    I certainly hear feedback from users trying to deploy multicast and that
    is low on their list of obstacles. The main issues I hear are:

	o How do I transition from tunnels to native multicast
        o How do I interwork DVMRP and PIM

Dino