Subject: Re: packet loss between mbone2.UU.Net & SanFrancisco.mci.net

From: Dave Hayes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 23:16:05 -0800

> i think this is an operational question, not a poltical/content one

Maybe. Perhaps technological restrictions are making an issue seem
political when it isn't? (What do I know anyway?)

> if the nets in trouble, keep ephemera of local interest local (drop
> that ttl).....

Just how do I know when the "net is in trouble"? 
------
Dave Hayes - Altadena CA, USA - [email-masked] 
Freedom Knight of Usenet - http://www.jetcafe.org/~dave/usenet

Ours is a world where people don't know what they want but are willing 
to go through hell to get it.

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 11:50:10 +0200 (EET)

> political when it isn't? (What do I know anyway?)

I wonder how much of the problems are caused by a major piece of
software imposing artificial rate limitations to the MBone
infrastructure by default?
 > Just how do I know when the "net is in trouble"? 

You don't until Van mails on this list :-)

Pete

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 06:32:50 PST

>infrastructure by default?

Gee, IOS does that too?

Or are you just making random statements, seeing as the loss is happening
cisco->mrouted?

  Bill

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 18:16:18 +0200 (EET)

> >infrastructure by default?
There it's off by default.

 > Or are you just making random statements, seeing as the loss is happening

I'm not talking about this particular instance of overcommitting, I'm
talking about the ceiling of MBone bandwidth in general which seems to
be more mandated by the mrouted 512kbps rate limit than spotty
overcommitting.

But as you might already have discovered, somebody is distributing
their unicast tables again:
Feb 11 18:05:34.399: %DVMRP-1-ROUTEHOG: Receiving 10372 routes from 193.166.2.225 (Tunnel0) in the last 00:01:05
Feb 11 18:06:39.431: %DVMRP-1-ROUTEHOG: Receiving 12252 routes from 193.166.2.225 (Tunnel0) in the last 00:01:05
Feb 11 18:07:47.107: %DVMRP-1-ROUTEHOG: Receiving 10335 routes from 193.166.2.225 (Tunnel0) in the last 00:01:07
Feb 11 18:08:54.179: %DVMRP-1-ROUTEHOG: Receiving 10509 routes from 193.166.2.225 (Tunnel0) in the last 00:01:07
Feb 11 18:13:18.758: %DVMRP-1-ROUTEHOG: Receiving 10258 routes from 193.166.2.225 (Tunnel0) in the last 00:01:05

Pete

---

From: "Jeff Young" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 20:02:40 -0500

because, 

we don't implement rate limits as a rule...

# more /etc/mrouted.conf
phyint 204.70.158.61 
phyint 204.70.158.77 
phyint 204.70.158.144 disable 
tunnel 204.70.158.61 204.70.170.29 metric 1 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.61 204.70.164.29 metric 2 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.77 204.70.152.61 metric 1 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.61 166.48.205.250 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.61 203.183.255.106 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.77 206.152.42.180 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.77 206.152.40.1 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.77 206.101.165.3 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.61 139.130.47.2 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.61 204.74.125.59 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.61 205.217.45.177 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.61 137.39.246.98 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.61 192.42.110.249 metric 1 threshold 32 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.77 206.40.72.100 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.77 140.174.2.1 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.61 204.70.32.6 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.61 192.203.230.241 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.77 163.139.201.11 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.61 205.216.172.14 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.61 204.71.212.8 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0
tunnel 204.70.158.61 161.246.10.21 metric 1 threshold 64 rate_limit 0

> From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
> To: Dave Hayes <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>,
>         "Paul 'Shag' Walmsley" <[email-masked]>,
>         Van Jacobson <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: packet loss between mbone2.UU.Net & SanFrancisco.mci.net 
> In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
> References: <[email-masked]>
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Precedence: bulk
> Content-Type: text
> Content-Length: 575
> 
> Dave Hayes writes:

Jeff Young
[email-masked]