Subject: Win95 apps

From: Art Houle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 08:35:55 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

  I have downloaded the tools vic, vat, and sdr from
http://www.merit.edu/net-research/mbone/index/windows95.html and also the
Microsoft and Softlab versions.  Sdr works and 'rat' works, but vic and
vat and the calendar function within sdr do not work.  (vic, vat and sdr
work fine on my solaris box).

  Are these tools broken on Win95 or are there other system requirements
to make them functional?

Art Houle     				e-mail:  [email-masked].
Academic Computing & Network Services 	 Voice:  644-2592
Florida State University		   FAX:  644-8722

---

From: "Alan J. Flavell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 15:03:33 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Art Houle wrote:

> vat and the calendar function within sdr do not work.  

What are the symptoms of "not works"?  Which versions did you get?

Let's assume you have followed the instructions about setting HOME
environment, and putting their location onto your PATH.  I've 
been using the recommended path C:\Mbone with HOME set to C:\Mbone
and PATH set to %PATH%;C:\Mbone at the end of autoexec.bat.

One additional requirement that arises in some circumstances is the need
to set a USER environment variable.  On first startup, vic and vat seem to
rummage around Win95 and depending on just what and how you logged on to
Windows, MS Notworking, and/or Novell, it might or might not find
something it can use.  If you had described the symptoms I would have
recognised them.   Add something of the SET USER=YourName flavour to
fix that problem.

I've successfully used Win95 vics from various sources, most recently one
from Kouvelas' area at UCL and one from GaTech.  For video transmit with a
particular video board you may need to get the right version; for
receiving I don't recall trying one that didn't work, though you do
definitely want a 2.8 version nowadays.

HTH

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 12:18:11 -0500

>work fine on my solaris box).

Sdr (on all platforms) calls "cal" to generate the calendar.  Van
Jacobson ported cal to Win95 a long time back to solve this problem,
and it used to be packaged with sdr.  

Perhaps it's in ftp://cs.ucl.ac.uk/mice/sdr/winsdr22.zip - sorry I
can't check because I don't have a Windows machine handy.  Please
don't use the sdr from this file though - it's obsolete, and you
should be using sdr 2.4.

Also, as it's becoming an FAQ: To my knowledge, no version of sdr
works on Windows NT.  I have no NT development platform, and for some
reason sdr binaries that work on Win95 don't work on WinNT (they can't
receive announcements).

Cheers,
	Mark