Subject: [Q] clarification mbone/Internet multicast?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 97 17:17:21 -0500

hi,
     
     Supposing I wrote a multicast application;
     if I want to use my application over the internet, do I HAVE TO use 
     the MBone set of addresses (after authorizations) - OR - I could use 
     any other multicast address with a large enough TTL value (like 8 or 
     16, instead of 2).
     
     I guess I could use any non-reserved/used multicast address to 
     transmit data, but I would like to have confirmation on this.
     
     thanks in advance,
     
     michel

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Hall)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:11:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

You would probably want to read a draft from the internet-drafts stuff.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Hall)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:15:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

You probably want to read some internet-drafts. These two will get you
started.
draft-ietf-mmusic-sap-00.txt  draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-02.txt

I don't recall where I found them, but if you can't find them, or would
like me to send them to you, let me know.  TTL is also briefly discussed
in the mbone FAQ.

_J