Subject: Re: Windows 95 dial up

From: "Matthew G. Harrigan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 14:35:26 -0700

At 10:39 AM 6/25/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Rumor has it that it is not possible to access multicast packets via a dialup
>modem in Windows 95 using ported vat-vic tools due to problems with 
>"Microsoft Dialup Networking". Any truth in this? Anyone anticipate a 
>workaround in the near future?

A question to your question.....

Even if no problems existed between w95 dialup ip and the mbone tools,
would there be enough bandwidth to do full blown mbone sessions over
a small serial link (<= 28K)? 
(Im making the assumption that the "modem" you refer to is not 
 an ISDN terminal) 

Matt

Matthew G. Harrigan		|cisco Systems
 Internet Systems Engineer	[email-masked]
 -------------------------------|408-527-3852 (x63582)
"640K ought to be enough for 	|Email Pager: 			
 anybody. " - Bill Gates, 1981  [email-masked]

---

From: "Dwight E. Spencer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 19:41:44 -0300 (ADT)

> (Im making the assumption that the "modem" you refer to is not 

correct assumption for myself (unless I happen upon a DirecPC connection
that someone needs tested).  Even to get SDR announcments, and an audio
feed would suffice for myself; if possible, a low bandwidth video feed
(h261/12kbps/ 1-4 fps) would be a nice tset.

This is strictly for my own viewing pleasure, and just to say 'its been
done'.

dwight s.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dwight E. Spencer                    Canada's Community Access Network 
eMail: [email-masked],                            Server Administrator
                                          UNB, Fredericton, NB, Canada
Phone: +1 506 447 3153            Url:  http://cspace.unb.ca/~spencer/

---

From: "Mark A. Fullmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 22:29:05 -0400 (EDT)

>(h261/12kbps/ 1-4 fps) would be a nice tset.

With a 28kbps link you can listen to gsm encoded audio and read e-mail/news
at the same time, that's about it.  What's needed is audio and video mixer
that automatically creates locally scoped low bandwidth versions of the
global sessions.

-- 
mark

---

From: system PRIVILEGED account <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 09:49:07 -0400 (EDT)

> This is strictly for my own viewing pleasure, and just to say 'its been

  I would be very interested in the outcome of this test! Has anyone out
there received multicast packets over a dial-up line? Reality is the
majority of Net users are still using dial-up and the growth of the Mbone
to the home user can only be good for everyone. Low bitrate udp systems
like StreamWorks are quickly trying to incorporate multicast technology
into there products.. I'd love to know if any of this will actually work..
Someone tell me it does!

rw

---

From: system PRIVILEGED account <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 09:51:58 -0400 (EDT)

> that automatically creates locally scoped low bandwidth versions of the

I have not tested this yet.. But Apparently StreamWorks 2.0 windows
clients are multicast enabled.. They have fair quality LBR AV feeds that
would work quite nicely for the 28kbps mbone user..

rw

---

From: Robert Olsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 21:19:06 +0200

>>>>> "rw" == <[email-masked]> writes:

 rw>   I would be very interested in the outcome of this test! Has anyone out
 rw> there received multicast packets over a dial-up line? Reality is the
 rw> majority of Net users are still using dial-up and the growth of the Mbone
 rw> to the home user can only be good for everyone. Low bitrate udp systems
 rw> like StreamWorks are quickly trying to incorporate multicast technology
 rw> into there products.. I'd love to know if any of this will actually
 rw> work..  Someone tell me it does!

I was fiddling with IP-multicast to my home-box about a year ago. The box was
a DEC 5k/25 w Ultrix 4.4. And got multicast running. Plus a fixed ip_ppp.c 
so it could support multicast. I was feeding from Cisco CS-500 (the model 
prior the 2516) communications server with PIM. 

Guess it was more fun than useful. But might give it a try again since 
WFQ (Weighted Fair Queueing) can run on the async lines now. This might
help things up a bit. And modems is 33.600 nowadays.

If anyone interested .... ftp://robur.slu.se/pub/Ultrix/ipmulti

	Robert Olsson