Subject: Re: Routing loop?

From: "Jeffrey S. Curtis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 21:45:28 -0600

Bill Fink writes:
}A point of information that may or may not be pertinent to your
}specific situation.  cisco claims that you need 8 MB of flash to
}run 11.0.  However, I noticed that the 7000 Enterprise image for
}11.0(8), for example, is 4154746 bytes, which is less than 4 MB
}(4194304 = 4*1024*1024).  Since it seemed this should just squeeze
}in, I went ahead and tried it, and it's been working fine for me
}for quite some time (YMMV).  The latest 7000 Enterprise image,
}11.0(11), is 4199381 bytes, and therefore won't fit in 4 MB of
}flash anymore.  I'm not sure why cisco has claimed that 8 MB of
}flash is required for all the 11.0 images.  Perhaps some misguided
}person thought that 4 MB was 4000000 bytes.

cisco does this intentionally, and with good reason.  If they're
reasonably sure that the image size will exceed a certain threshold
(like 4MB) within a major release (like 11.0), they err on the
conservative side and tell you that you need the next higher capacity.
This helps the cluefully-impaired class of customers with a little bit
of advance planning (e.g. buy your router with 8MB of flash *now* so
that when you upgrade from 11.0(x) to 11.0(y), you don't have to do a
hardware upgrade at the same time).

Jeff
-- 
Jeffrey S. Curtis                      | Internetwork Manager
Argonne National Laboratory            | Email: [email-masked]
9700 South Cass Avenue, ECT-221        | Voice: 630/252-1789
Argonne, IL 60439                      | Fax:   630/252-9689

---

From: Rich Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 10:55:18 -0500 (EST)

Can someone please tell me where i might find a version of Mrouted for
digital unix 4.0?

rw

---

From: Ajay Kachrani USG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 11:48:37 -0500 (EST)

> Can someone please tell me where i might find a version of Mrouted for

We ship all the appropriate IP Multicast (3.5+) Kernel hooks and 
3.8 mrouted (and other m* tools) w/ Digital Unix 4.0...

--Ajay