Subject: Cisco PIM configuration

From: " Janne Olsson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 01:48:44 -0800 (PST)

Can anyone tell me how to configure a Cisco 2514 Router to work with PIM
sparse-mode ?

---------------------------------------------------------
Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
---------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "John M. Zwiebel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 07:43:46 -0800

I think I heard you say....

Sure, its easy:

	ip multicast-routing
	ip pim rp-address <address>
	<interface>
	ip pim sparse-mode

Your router (doesn't have to be a 2500) is no configured to run PIM 
sparse-mode.  Of course, that doesn't mean that you will receive anything
from the mbone or that there aren't other configuration items you are going
to have to deal with.  The above configuration works very well inside an
intranet that has no connection to the MBONE.  

Connecting to the MBONE requires a bit more thought.  Depending on how 
your service provider runs ip multicast, the above configuration may be enough.
Even if they are running only DVMRP, the above it still enough.  But if
they offer you a DVMRP tunnel, then you have to worry about the 
congruency of the multicast and unicast routing topologies (which is only
a big deal if you have your tunnel endpoint well inside of your network).
You may also have to worry about how to advertise routes to your DVMRP 
neighbor.  Finally, you may have to worry about getting DVMRP routes through
the PIM cloud.  Of course, all of these potential topologies require some
very powerful configuration commands.  And the more power that it put into
your hands, the easier it is to shoot yourself in the foot.

So, read ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/ipmulticast/DVMRP.metric.cmd 
	and ISP.DVMRP.trans

Also, there are a number of other papers, etc that you should consider looking
at all available through ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/ipmulticast.html.

z	

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	John Zwiebel                       Phone: 408-526-5303
	Cisco Systems Inc.                 Fax:   
	Multimedia Group                   Email: [email-masked]