Subject: Warning messages from mrouted 3.8

From: "Craig M. Votava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 11:24:00 -0500

Folks-

I think this is a dumb question, but I can't figure it out. Any help
is appreciated!

I'm running mrouted 3.8 on a Sun with many network interfaces (why so
many? Don't ask...) and I'm filling up /var/adm/messages with zillions
of the following:

warning - received DVMRP message from 'the unknown host' or self:
x.x.x.x

Where the IP address given is the IP address of this Sun, on that
network interface. It seems that mrouted 3.8 is complaining about
the fact that it's talking to itself.

Is there a way to disable this?

Thanks

-Craig

	()_()	Craig Votava
	 (_)	Lucent Technologies
		[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 10:01:36 PDT

Since mrouted disables IP_MULTICAST_LOOP, it should never hear a
message from itself; if it does, you either have bogus hardware which
loops back multicast and a driver that doesn't compensate, or you have
multiple interfaces on the same physical network and your interfaces
are hearing each other, which can potentially cause loops and other
pathologies.

mrouted is (in a somewhat obscure way) telling you about a problem
with your system.  You can shut it up by editing the source if you
want, but I'd recommend fixing whatever is wrong with your system
instead.

  Bill