Subject: Re: Mrouted on SunOS 5.5.1

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 00:13:34 -0400 (EDT)

>
>I am about to start the process of putting mrouted on a box running SunOS
>5.5.1. I am fairly unfamiliar with SunOS so i have a few questions for you
>all.
>
>1st: Is SunOS 5.5.1 IPMulticast capable? Do i need to install
>     ipmulti3.5-sunos41x.tar?
>

Yes, and yes - sort of.

Solaris v2.5.1 comes with multicast support enabled, meaning that it supports
IGMP, multicasting group membership at the IP and data link layers, etc.

However, the shipped kernel does not support the hooks required by mrouted,
you won't have the modified tools to support the kernel and you won't have the
include files needed to build mrouted from source.  In order to get this, you
have to get the *Solaris 2.5.1* ipmulti3.5+ kernel from
ftp://playground.sun.com - not a SunOS v4.1 kernel.

>2nd: What is an easy way to check if mrouted and ipmulticast is
>     installed???
>

As I said above, Solaris comes with basic IP multicast support - you can
see that from a "netstat -gn", or "netstat -rn" that show IGMP group membership
and "route" to the Class D network.

Mrouted does not come with Solaris - a version comes with the ipmulti3.5+
kernel, but I'd recommend using the latest version from Merit with the SNMP
support.

>Any and all info is much appreciated! Thanks.
>
>rw
> 

Jimmy

---

From: Richard Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 08:08:44 -0700 (PDT)

> ftp://playground.sun.com - not a SunOS v4.1 kernel.

Thanks a million. I'm now in the process of installing and i get the
following error :

        Installing header files in /usr/include

/usr/include/netinet: No such file or directory

The script than dies. The netinet file is nowhere to be found on the
machine. Again any help is appreciated!

rw

---

From: Steven Bakker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 17:38:19 +0100

==> From: Richard Williams <[email-masked]> 
==>       Fri, 9 May 1997 08:08:44 -0700 (PDT) 

> machine. Again any help is appreciated!

"netinet" is not a file, but should be a subdirectory under /usr/include.
Looks like your OS installation contains only the bare necessities,
and hence many include files will not have been installed, amongst them
the "netinet" subdirectory.

Simply "mkdir /usr/include/netinet" should do the trick, I
guess.

Cheers,
Steven

---

From: Richard Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 10:09:04 -0700 (PDT)

> Simply "mkdir /usr/include/netinet" should do the trick, I

Great! I've tried this and it seems to have worked.. How can i check if
mrouted is running? As you can see i have very little experience with
SunOS.. Thanks for your help

rw