Subject: For those having trouble with 3.9-beta1 under DEC Unix or Solaris

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:05:49 PDT

There was a bug in mrouted 3.9-beta1's raw socket handling that
caused it to lock up under DEC Unix and Solaris.  I have fixed this
and some other inconsequential bugs and released 3.9-beta2.  There is
no need to upgrade if you are not experiencing problems, as the lockup
is the only non-cosmetic bug fixed.

  Bill

README-3.9-beta2.mrouted,v 3.3 1997/06/11 22:29:22 fenner Exp

	IP Multicast Extensions for BSD-Derived Unix Systems
	Multicast Routing Daemon

	Release 3.9-beta2
	June 11, 1997

	available from parcftp.xerox.com,
	file pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta2.tar.Z
	binaries:
	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta2-sparc-sunos41x.tar.Z
	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta2-sparc-solaris2.tar.Z
	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta2-i386-bsd.tar.Z
	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta2-alpha-osf1.tar.Z
	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta2-sgi-irix5.tar.Z
	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta2-sgi-irix6.tar.Z
	pub/net-research/ipmulti/beta-test/mrouted3.9-beta2-hp-hpux.tar.Z

Note: The 3.9 release is mrouted-only, and will run on top of a 3.5 kernel.
It is a drop-in replacement for mrouted 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 or 3.8.

NOTE WELL: This is a beta-test release of mrouted.  The basic
functionality has been extensively tested in DARTNet and other
testbeds, but it is expected to have bugs.  Please report bugs to Bill
Fenner <[email-masked]>.

The 3.9-beta2 release fixes the following bugs:
  o There was a bug in 3.9-beta1's raw socket buffer processing that
    would cause an immediate lockup on startup on some systems.

  o RSRR would not clear out the group membership information if
    further notification of changes to this route entry was not possible.

There is no need to upgrade to 3.9-beta2 if you are not experiencing
one of the aforementioned bugs.