Subject: Revisited: multi-homed ATM/Ethernet sparcs

From: "Paul Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 21:16:01 +0000

Thanks to all the people who responded to my query. I put a SBA200
into our mrouter (138.251.{199,192}) and put it on the ForeIP subnet
(138.251.221). I then set the default mcast routes on all the sparcs
over the atm interface (as directed by Bill). Restarted mrouted and
everything appears to be running fine (modulo the mbuf question
below). Mcast traffic is travelling via the ATM subnet but I also able
to select a different interface (via the imr_interface field of struct
ip_mreq, the argument to IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP setsockopt).

Thanks again.

pjjH

Another question: What is a typical value for the number of entries in
a leaf mrouted's routing table? I had 6106 when I checked. The mrouter
machine crashed a few times with a slew of 'ip_mforward: ip_mrouter socket
queue full<4>' messages followed by 'le1: WARNING: no mbufs'

powers# /usr/etc/netstat -m
4239/4640 mbufs in use:
        3771 mbufs allocated to data
        1 mbufs allocated to packet headers
        96 mbufs allocated to socket structures
        126 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
        6 mbufs allocated to routing table entries
        7 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
        1 mbufs allocated to zombie process information
        5 mbufs allocated to interface addresses
        1 mbufs allocated to internet multicast options
        10 mbufs allocated to internet multicast addresses
        8 mbufs allocated to link-level multicast addresses
        207 mbufs allocated to multicast routing structures
857/884 mapped pages in use
7652 Kbytes allocated to network (96% in use)
0 requests for memory denied