Subject: Multicast address selection

From: Naofumi KOBAYASHI <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 20:35:30 +0900

I have a question about the selection of multicast address.

If/When anyone would like to initiate a multicast session 
in internet or intranet (not Mbone), how does he select the 
multicast address ?

Are there any drafts about multicast address selection ?

Best Regards,

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Naofumi KOBAYASHI
   Architecture Dpt. Network Div.
   FUJITSU LIMITED
      E-Mail;[email-masked]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 09:38:47 -0400

[cc trimmed to [email-masked]]

>in internet or intranet (not Mbone), how does he select the 

The Mbone is essentially the part of the internet that does multicast,
so I don't really understand what you mean by "not Mbone"...  If
you're multicast network is not connected to the outside work you can
do whatever you want, but if you're going to connect it later, then
you probably want to do the same as people on the Mbone.

>Are there any drafts about multicast address selection ?

Not yet - I'm committed to writing one real soon now, and there'll
almost certainly be an IETF WG on this subject soon.

You can see my slides presented in the MMUSIC session at the last
IETF from:
  http://north.east.isi.edu/~mjh/slides/
They should give you a rough idea of what is planned for the future.

Right now, the normal method is to use the sdr session directory or
one of it's clones to do address allocation.

Cheers,
	Mark

---

From: "Songkrant MUNEENAEM" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 23:19:14 +0000

Sawasdee krub, (THAI traditional greeting)

> To:            [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>                [email-masked]
> Subject:       Multicast address selection
> From:          Naofumi KOBAYASHI <[email-masked]>
> Date:          Tue, 07 Oct 1997 20:35:30 +0900

> in internet or intranet (not Mbone), how does he select the 

It should be in range 239.0.0.0-239.255.255.255 for internal use.
 
> Are there any drafts about multicast address selection ?

I got above info. from Precept IP/TV Server manual.
 
> Best Regards,

Regards,
Songkrant MUNEENAEM  [email-masked]   HS9OG
  The Computer Center   Prince of Songkla University
---> http://maliwan.psu.ac.th/~msongkra/index.htm <---

---

From: Naofumi KOBAYASHI <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 14:35:54 +0900

Thank you for replying to my email.

My anxiety is following;

When two or more multicast sessions will be initiated in a 
intranet, there is possibility of class D address confliction.   

I am looking for some way for avoidance of the multicast address 
confliction in intranet, without using sdr.

Do you have any suggestion ? 

In message <[email-masked]>
   "Re: Multicast address selection "

> one of it's clones to do address allocation.

Best Regrds,

--Naofumi Kobayashi

---

From: "Heiko W. Rupp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 11:56:57 +0200

> confliction in intranet, without using sdr.

Use dices ;-)

-- 
NTG Netzwerk und Telematic GmbH   /          Heiko W.Rupp
Geschaeftsbereich Xlink         \/           phone: +49 721 9652 0
Vincenz-Priessnitz-Str. 3       /\ link      fax:   +49 721 9652 210
D-76131 Karlsruhe, Germany     /_______      email: [email-masked]
[ NTG Netzwerk und Telematic GmbH, Sitz Chemnitz                          ]
[ Kreisgericht Chemnitz/Stadt HRB 4217, Geschaeftsfuehrer: Michael Rotert ]

---

From: Bob Quinn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 09:26:08 -0400

Address allocation has not yet been addressed adequately.  Using
SDR (the application) to assign an address and port number, or
monitoring SDP to look for collisions is insufficient.  SDR
lacks without a protocol to allow queries for an address assignment.

There is a proposal from Intel and Microsoft to use DHCP for 
multicast address allocation that will provide a solution for
within the enterprise.

See: 
 ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-mdhcp-02.txt
 ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-multopt-01.txt

Using DHCP as a front-end doesn't preclude monitoring SDP in the
backend of the DHCP server.  This is one way to provide the best 
of both worlds. 

There are other possibilities to address DHCP's inability to scale,
as described in Mark's slides (e.g. enable the DHCP server to use
Address Announcement Protocol in the backend).

Regards,
--
Bob Quinn
[email-masked]
http://www.sockets.com