Subject: MBone tunnel stats for mrouted3.9

From: Niels den Otter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 15:14:55 +0200

Hi all,

Last weekend I wrote a small Perl script that calculates the MBone tunnel
load on a mrouted 3.9 multicast router.

It works by creating two mrouted.dump files with 60 seconds between each of
them. Then the byte counters of each tunnel interface are substracted from
each other calculating the average load during the 60 second period between
the creation of the two mrouted.dump files.

The following is an example taken from broodjeham.surfnet.nl:

Interface:                                    Input bits/s:   Output bit/s:
===========================================================================
le0                                                       0               0
le1                                                       0               0
!192.36.148.206 (stockholm.mbone.ebone.net)         1053996           49292
!193.63.94.99 (mbone.ulcc.ja.net)                      2339         1098897
!193.174.226.254                                      16942         1086346
!192.65.185.20 (mbone.cern.ch)                         1002         1076183
!193.148.15.68 (Amsterdam1.ripe.net)                  28037          907935
!193.190.196.253 (mbone.belnet.be)                        0               0
!193.144.0.39 (mbone.rediris.es)                        350         1091717
!192.87.30.6 (vivaldi.terena.nl)                          0           19851
!130.161.1.50 (dunet2.router.tudelft.nl)                  0          727839
!130.115.114.60 (cesium.facb.few.eur.nl)                  0               0
!130.89.16.143 (zamenhof.cs.utwente.nl)                   0           45970
!131.174.72.129 (hydra.uci.kun.nl)                        0           25724
!137.224.2.11 (C7507-COMP.WAU.NL)                       553            4216
!192.87.112.4 (cabernet.nijenrode.nl)                     0               0
!145.41.1.6 (Amsterdam6.router.surfnet.nl)              621          268550
!192.87.110.4 (surver.wind.surfnet.nl)                    0               0
!145.30.64.21 (amsw21.ksla.nl)                            0           42508
!137.56.0.61 (kubsu4.kub.nl)                              0           67403
!131.155.140.10 (mbone.stack.nl)                          0               0
!145.85.3.1 (gatekeeper.hse.nl)                           0               0
!137.120.1.5 (icass2.unimaas.nl)                          0          157859
!194.171.167.2 (horowitz.surfnet.nl)                     35           27471

If you are interested in the script you can get it at:
http://www.surfnet.nl/surfnet/persons/otter/mbone/dumpstats.pl

Don't bother too much about the source code. It's the first program I wrote
using Perl.

Regards,

Niels

---

From: Christoph Fleck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 08:15:46 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

We use also a perl-script to have the dates every 15 min in our www:
On the MRouted-Box is a cron for a sh-script to make 
the dump-file and mail it to the www-Box.
There runs the perl-script to make a table of the day.
In this way we can do it for a lot of mrouteds. (at the moment only 2)

An Example can be found at
http://www-mm.urz.tu-dresden.de/mr/hosts/rncmm7/beispiel_970617.txt
and the archiv at 
http://www-mm.urz.tu-dresden.de/mr/hosts/rks3

A description (i'm sorry, only in german) of it can found at
http://www-mm.urz.tu-dresden.de/mr

Now we work on a new version, to generate grafiks with xplot.
If You intrested in, send a reply to [email-masked] .

rgds Christoph

,------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Referenzzentrum fuer multimediale Teledienste (MMRZ), TU Dresden |
|         Dr. Klaus Koehler, Christoph Fleck, Rainer Kranz         |
| e-mail: [email-masked]             Tel.: 0351 / 463 5653  |
|    WWW: http://www-mm.urz.tu-dresden.de               (GERMANY)  |
`------------------------------------------------------------------'