Subject: IP multicast traffic forwarding

From: "Weiping Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 18:27:37 +0100

Hi, mbone experts,

I currently work on implementing a function which forward the IP multicast
packets received over a ATM PVC to an out-going ATM PVC. These two PVCs
are located at the same interface device. I use FORE SBA-200 driver under
Solaris 2.5.1. Has anyone dealed with this type of "re-directing" of
multicast traffic? Could this be realized with a user space daemon?

Thank in advance for any tips.

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Weiping Li			University of Stuttgart
RUS				National Supercomputing Center (RUS)    Kommunikationssystem &		Communication Systems
Belwue-Entwicklung                  

Allmandring 3a			Phone  ++49 (0) 711 685 5735
D-70550 Stuttgart		Fax    ++49 (0) 711 678 8363
Germany				E-mail [email-masked]

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Magnus Danielson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 20:39:21 +0100

>>>>> "WL" == Weiping Li <[email-masked]> writes:

 WL> Hi, mbone experts,
 WL> I currently work on implementing a function which forward the IP multicast
 WL> packets received over a ATM PVC to an out-going ATM PVC. These two PVCs
 WL> are located at the same interface device. I use FORE SBA-200 driver under
 WL> Solaris 2.5.1. Has anyone dealed with this type of "re-directing" of
 WL> multicast traffic? Could this be realized with a user space daemon?

 WL> Thank in advance for any tips.

This sound like something that you should be able to do with the
comination of Fore's drivers, Multicast routing patches for Solaris 2.5.1
and Mrouted.

If you run througth tunnels I know that there is no trouble. There
used to be troubles back in the days I ran Solaris 2.4 with the Fore
card, but that was the case of several bugs in which one seemed to
hide the other under normal curcomstances. I ensured that Fore got
some extra preassure to solve it ;)

Cheers,
Magnus

---

From: Rajesh Talpade <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 15:39:09 -0500 (EST)

> multicast traffic? Could this be realized with a user space daemon?

You can use Fore's API for receiving and re-transmitting the packets
in a user-level daemon. The API usually comes with the Fore's host
interface software.

I assume you are not involving the IP layer in the packet processing at 
the end-host.

Rajesh.

-- 
Rajesh R. Talpade    [email-masked]   973 829-{4261, 5888(fax)}
Research Scientist, Bellcore, 445, South St, Morristown, NJ-07960

---

From: Scott Michel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 15:27:42 -0800

atmarp 224.0.0.0 qaa0 <vpi> <vci> 0

That's worked for us in the past. One caveat: It only works for 224/8
traffic. Admin scoped mcast is something they (still) feel is pretty
optional.

YMMV.

-scooter

--
Scott Michel
Computer Systems Research Department                [email-masked]
The Aerospace Corporation                           +1-310-336-5034

-- 
Scott Michel                                      [email-masked]
Member of Technical Staff, CSRD                   310/336-5034
The Aerospace Corporation