Subject: Problems with pruning

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 12:16:03 +0100 (MET)

Hi

we are experiencing pruning problems on an mrouted-mrouter:
SunOS-5.5.1 (generic), sparcstation 10, multicast 3.5+, mrouted 3.8.
The unicast kernel routing table contains for example the following
entries:

10.0.0.0             10.0.0.117            U        2      0  le0
129.187.53.0         129.187.53.117        U        2    199  qaa0
224.0.0.0            129.187.39.117        U        3      0  fa0
default              129.187.53.254        UG       0   1224

i.e.: le0 (the built in ethernet) has multicasting disabled, the network
on qaa0, where the default route points to has no multicast either, only
fa0 (fore-ip subnetwork) has multicast enabled. The router is a mrouter
with one uplink tunnel and a few other downlink tunnel

Problem: incoming traffic from the uplink tunnel get pruned on the
downlink tunnels, but on fa0 the traffic is only pruned for groups in
range 224.0.0.0 - 224.255.255.255, but not for example 239.X.Y.Z groups.

Q: Anybody seen this effect ? I was wondering if it might be a problem in
solaris (224.0.0.0 in the routing table not meaning "all multicast routes")
or a problem with the fore-ip interface fa0 (though i don't see how it
can have an effect on pruning).

best regardS
-- 
Toerless Eckert
Universitaet Erlangen Nuernberg
RRZE / IMMD4
Martensstrasse 1
D-91058 Erlangen, Germany
Tel.: +49 9131 85 7278
FAX: +49 9131 85 8732
[email-masked]
/C=De/A=D400/P=Uni-Erlangen/OU=Informatik/S=Eckert/G=Toerless/

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 07:57:58 PST

In message <[email-masked]> you write
>range 224.0.0.0 - 224.255.255.255, but not for example 239.X.Y.Z groups.

What does your mrouted.cache file look like?  (kill -USR2 `cat
/etc/mrouted.pid`).

  Bill