Subject: Request on Advice about Audioencoding in Vat (fwd)

From: Albert Roth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 10:31:27 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello,

i am a student at the University of Mannheim, Germany.

I am entrusted to enhance the capability of vat to get better audio
quality special for SGI workstations. 

We have an ATM link and bandwidth greater than 78 kbit/s (8KHz PCM, 20 ms
frames) is no problem. (This PCM stream with 8-bit mulaw encoding is the
best usable quality).

I think better audio quality can be achieved either through higher
sampling rate (default 8 KHz) or more bits for the sampled value (here 8
bit).

My question is:

Do you have any information about works on this problem ? 

Thank You very much for any kind of information.

Yours sincerely,
Albert Roth.
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Albert Roth                          [email-masked]
Praktische Informatik IV            
University of Mannheim  L15,16                     Tel: +49 621 292 1048
68131 Mannheim Germany                    
------------------------------------------------------------------------