Subject: mrouted 3.6 configuration

From: [email-masked] (MBone Mailing List)
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 22:43:06 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,
Can you please tell me which parameter controls how fast 
pruning is carried out by an mrouted daemon (more specifically, 
version 3.6 of mrouted).

If this can only be done by changing mrouted's code, 
any help would be appreciated.

We have the following configuration:

VCSun3		| Router x386 FreeBSD	|   VCSun1
running		|  vcmroute1/vcmroute 	|   running
Solaris 2.5	| running mrouted v.3.6	|   Solaris 2.5

I am testing a multilayered codec broadcasting from vcsun1. 
The video stream is divided into several sub-streams each 
encoded on a different multicast group channel.
The layer control performance relies heavily on quick pruning.

Thank you,
Ralph Gholmieh.

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 22:50:28 PDT

>pruning is carried out by an mrouted daemon (more specifically, 

An mrouted on a leaf network will prune as soon as it knows that there
are no remaining members on the subnet.  IGMPv1 requires a timeout to
learn that there are no remaining members; IGMPv2 allows for an end
station to let the router know that it is leaving the group.  Solaris
2.5 comes with IGMPv1, but the multicast patches from
ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/multicast/ include an upgrade to IGMPv2.

If this is your problem, make sure that there aren't any IGMPv1 hosts
that are members of the group; any IGMPv1 group member will cause the
router to revert to using the timeout.

  Bill