Subject: video for Solaris?

From: [email-masked] (Dave Kristol)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 98 14:24:14 EST

I have a Vigrapix video digitizer board, which I use on my SparcStation
20, running SunOS 4.1.3.  My system administrators are about to upgrade
my SS 20 to run Solaris 2.6, but I can't find a Vigrapix driver on
their web/FTP site.  Is there one?

Alternatively, what Sbus board can I use to connect a TeleCamera HA6300
to my Sun?

TIA
Dave Kristol

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 16:19:01 -0500

>their web/FTP site.  Is there one?

There are two but neither are without problems.  

The original vigrapix driver causes machines to hang occasionally - on
my old SS20 it only happened at high frame rates, but on my Sparc 5 it
was less predictable.  Vigra removed the driver from their web page
because they didn't consider it stable enough. Steve Haehnichen
<[email-masked]> is the contact there if you really want their
driver.  

Chris Lee ([email-masked]) also did his own port of the SunOS
driver to Solaris. You can get it from
  ftp://ftp.cs.caltech.edu/pub/vigrapix2.tar.gz 
This can cause similar problems to the Vigrapix released driver,
leading me to think that it's the same problem.  You might mail him to
see what the current status is.

Currently I'm using the original vigra driver, but I don't think
there's much to choose between them.

Cheers,
	Mark