Subject: AW: MBone apps for Windows?

From: "Stepping, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 09:08:50 +0200

Dear Hans,

with our experience according MBone at the University of Hagen, Germany,
you have to do nothing on your local PC (whether Win95 nor WinNT).

If you cannot receive any Multicast sessions, this is normally a problem
of routers and their software. Perhaps a problem from firewalls.

On WinNT we could only establish "Shrimp"-Version-Tools (others do not 
function.)

Other hints are: http://www.mbone.de
http://www.lvn.com/multikit/wintools.html
http://www.research.microsoft.com/research/barc/mbone/

For all people who want to test VIVA (music sender)(from ASTRA-Satellite)
there is a multicast-test-server in Erlangen (Germany).

Hopefully helps,
Michael Stepping
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dipl.-Ing. Michael Stepping an der FernUniversitaet-Hagen
Lehrgebiet fuer Kommunikationssysteme, Herr Prof. Dr. Kaderali
Feithstrasse 142 im TGZ in 58084 Hagen
Tel. (0 23 31) 9 87 - 41 04, Fax: - 3 97
EMail: [email-masked]
Homepage: http://www-kommsys.fernuni-hagen.de/~stepping
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FTK Research Institute for Telecommunications
Image Processing & Multimedia Technology
Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 4, D-44227 Dortmund
Phone: (02 31) 97 50 56 - 0, Fax: - 10

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von:	Hans Mayer [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Gesendet am:	Freitag, 15. Mai 1998 05:58
> An:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Betreff:	Re: MBone apps for Windows?
>
> [...deleted...]
> >>I concur. I finally got around to downloading the new tools
> >>(I didn't have very good luck with the previous versions of
> >>the  W95/Mbone tools) and ran them on W95.  [They should
> >>also work on NT - reports?]
> >
> >seems to work ok on nt 4.0 worstation.  minor cosmetic bugs, but it's
> >fairly stable.
>
> What version are the current tools based upon? I had a great time trying
> getting version 5.0a (the mash version) running (and they still don't :-( )
> As I do have problems with multicast with other applications I suspect it's
> not the tools but the stack (from M$).
> Does anyone know how (and what) to configure multicast on a W'95 / WNT
> machine? I looked at the registry but found nothing. I got a few pointers
> to things to try but they didn't help either.
>
> Hans
>
>

---

From: ORLHAC Christophe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:25:48 +0200

Hi Michael,

Can you tell me more about Viva or give some useful URL.

Thanks.
Christophe.