Subject: what do SPARC 5 audio problems sound like for VAT?

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Patrick)
Date: Wed, 8 May 96 15:16:13 EDT

I am trying to debug some audio problems I am having with a SPARC 5
machine (Solaris 2.5).  I notice in the release notes for VAT
version 4.0b1 that more work has been done in trying to address
audio problems on this machine.  

What I am wondering is whether the kinds of problems seen on SPARC 5
machines in general are similar to my own experiences, or if I have
local problems unrelated to the VAT software.  

What I see is that VAT (4.0b1 and earlier) is always able to start
and acquire the audio fine.  Some time later, usually a few minutes,
either:

- VAT freezes, no mouse actions are possible, process must be killed
      or
- the VU meters in VAT continue to work, but not audio is heard
   through the speaker
      or
- VAT stops and goes away

The second case is the most common.

I have tried VAT 4.0b1 both with and without the Solaris 2.4 audio
patches (applied to a 2.5 machine) with no differences.  

Is this the kind of behaviour that is typical of the infamous SPARC 5
audio problems?  One of my options is to swap out this machine for a
SPARC 20 that is currently playing a different role if it looks like
the SPARC 5 audio problems are going to be a long-term problem.

Thanks

-- 
           Andrew Patrick, Ph.D. <[email-masked]>
               Networks Services & Interfaces Laboratory
                     Communications Research Centre
                       http://debra.dgbt.doc.ca/

---

From: [email-masked] (Gilles Dauphin)
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 15:13:48 +0200

> From [email-masked] Thu May  9 11:15:59 1996
> 
> audio problems?

I apply the T103340-01 patch to Solaris2.5 with success. VAT 4.0b1 work fine.

-- Gilles

PS:
	It's a temporary patch.

---

From: [email-masked] (Gilles Dauphin)
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 15:13:48 +0200

-- Gilles

PS:
	It's a temporary patch.