Subject: Re: Cisco/Wellfleet DVMRP Tunnel

From: Matt Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:09:26 -0600

> Has anyone got a DVMRP tunnel working between Cisco<->Wellfleet
> or mrouted 3.8 <--> Wellfleet??  [...]  Thanks in advance - Horror
> stories welcome 

When I did the CHEP '95 conference from Rio last September, we set up
a DVMRP tunnel from a Wellfleet router (loaned by BayNetworks) to an
ESNET Alpha running mrouted.  (It's version 3.8 today; I don't know
what version it was then.)

It basically worked at first, but there was a memory leak or
something, such that all packet forwarding (even unicast) would
eventually stop.  Configuring the link down and up would clear it for
another short period.  We wound up moving the Rio end of the tunnel
to a Sun.  The software was whatever was current at that time.

_________________________________________________________
Matt Crawford          [email-masked]          Fermilab
  PGP: D5 27 83 7A 25 25 7D FB  09 3C BA 33 71 C4 DA 6A

---

From: David Vu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:31:23 +1000

> or mrouted 3.8 <--> Wellfleet??  [...]  Thanks in advance - Horror

We have dvmrp tunnels working between a BayNetworks (aka Wellfleet)
BCN router and a number of mrouteds.  One mrouted is known to be
3.8 and the others I don't know about because they're behind a firewall.

As far as I know they're working quite well.

David.