Subject: Multibone & Win95

From: Jonathan Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 01:00:33 +0000 (GMT)

Quick question - I'm interested in using multicast software under
Win95, but s/ware seems to still be a little on the scarce side.
(I prefer Linux & other Unixes, but those I know who want to use
multicast s/ware are Win95-only.) I've looked at the ports of VIC
(which is missing a driver for the quickcam) and VAT, but haven't
been able to find a whiteboard, text-editor or web browser that
will multicast under Win95. Can anyone tell me if there are ports
of these either around or underway?

Thanks

Jonathan

---

From: Roy Bennett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 11:15:24 +0100

Jonathan
I work in the MICE National Support Centre, England which is part of
a UKERNA project which supports users of the Mbone in the UK (there
are other centres in Scotland and Wales).

 >of these either around or underway?

The MERCI project (http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/merci/) is porting
Network Text Editor (NTE - formerly nt) to Win95.  It is also working
on a whiteboard application for Win95, but this is at an early stage.
MERCI has a strong interest in a version of vic for the PC (W95 or NT)
with framegrabbing capabilities, but has not yet found one either :-(

FYI - A comprehensive and easily accessible archive of software for
multimedia conferencing applications is available at the Scottish NSC:
   http://ugwww.ucs.ed.ac.uk/mice/archive/
and manuals and software are available from the English NSC at UCL:
   http://www-mice-nsc.cs.ucl.ac.uk/mice-nsc/

 >Jonathan

Please contact us if you want to discuss this further.
Roy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Roy Bennett
Computer Science                           Phone: +44 171 380 7934
University College London                  Fax:   +44 171 387 1397
Gower Street, LONDON WC1E 6BT              Email: [email-masked]
--------- URL http://www-dept.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/R.Bennett ------------
MICE Multimedia Integrated Conferencing Support Centre, England
[email-masked] http://www-mice-nsc.cs.ucl.ac.uk/mice-nsc
-----------------------------------------------------------------------