Subject: RE: need some help with my 1st mrouted

From: Dwight Spencer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 23:56:44 -0400

has anyone successfully used linux mrouted? .. I've tried on two seperate
redhat systems (4.2, kernel 2.0.31, and 5.0, kernel 2.0.32), and mrouted
ran properly, however, the kernel never seemed to decapsulate (thanks 
bill f. for that terminology) the multicast packets onto the ethernet

tcpdump showed packets coming into mrouted (greping for a multicast
address), but they were never duplicated back onto the local segement

any suggestions?
dwight s.
_________________________________________________________________
dwight spencer                			phone:  506 444 5389
internet services manager			fax:    506 444 4232
[email-masked]

TeleEducation NB, 500 Beaverbrook Court, Fredericton, NB, Canada, E3B 5H1

-----Original Message-----
From:	Jeremy Hall [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Tuesday, December 09, 1997 6:13 PM
To:	Thomas Kernen
Cc:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Re: need some help with my 1st mrouted

Linux has two multicast options.

You need to enable both of them. One is IP multicast, and the other is ip
mrouting.

Depending on the code load, you will want to prompt for incomplete code
maturity to see the option for mrouting. If you're on the 2.0 tree, I'd
suggest finding the latest. If you're on the 2.1 tree, I'd suggest
gingerly poking at the latest kernel.

Thomas Kernen said:
>> I'm trying to run mrouted 3.81 under Linux. I compiled my kernel with
> the multicast option.
> When I try to run mrouted I get the following (mrouted -d 2)
> can't enable Multicast routing in kernel: Protocol not available

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Hall)
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 01:08:41 -0500 (EST)

Was ipip in the kernel?