Subject: Puzzle with snmp, mrouted, mstat

From: "Alan J. Flavell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 10:32:54 +0000 (GMT)

I'm running mrouted 3.8.4 with snmp on a couple of nodes on different
networks, for example a4.ph.gla.ac.uk.  These are OSF/1 v3.2c with the
multicast mods 32_1. 

I'm having problems retrieving statistics from our own mrouted's,
as I will show below.  Excuse me, but I'm not sure where I ought to
be asking this question.

When I use mstat -v against a4.ph, I get some meaningful looking
statistics:  (line wrapping is an artifact of the email, sorry) 

> mstat -v a4.ph.gla.ac.uk
DVMRP Virtual Interface Statistics Table for a4.ph.gla.ac.uk
Vif    InPkts   OutPkts    InBytes   OutBytes Rate Type    State 
Remote-Address
 0     162807    572860   47694180  247068045    0 querier up    
130.209.45/24
 1  694032399    162063 1571274353   47743158  500 tunnel  up    
130.209.6.4
 2       4867  24180426     563109 1650260714  250 tunnel  up    
a1.ph.gla.ac.uk

However, if I try to use other snmp tools such as tkined or MRTG,
they don't seem to get any answer from a4.ph, although they can
retrieve the corresponding information from our providers'
mrouteds.

Let's take for instance mbone.ed.ja.net, for which the mstat -v
information is as follows:

DVMRP Virtual Interface Statistics Table for mbone.ed.ja.net
Vif    InPkts   OutPkts    InBytes   OutBytes Rate Type    State
Remote-Address
 0    1269262 694047720  179723513  914980064    0 querier up
193.63.106.96/27
 1    1360792  45085210  117255116 3947786946    0 querier up
193.63.106.64/27
 2  691911783   2731426  597244734  340948946 1000 tunnel  up
mbone.ulcc.ja.net
 3     787105   1925530  205480512  418054793 1000 tunnel  up
mbone.mcc.ja.net

while tkined and MRTG seem quite able to retrieve snmp information
from those routers.  Here's tkined retrieving dvmrpVersion.0:

a4.ph.gla.ac.uk [130.209.45.102] [Thu Jan 08 10:14:31 GMT 1998]: 
 
mbone.ed.ja.net [193.63.106.99] [Thu Jan 08 10:14:31 GMT 1998]: 
  dvmrpVersion.0 : mrouted3.8 
 
or some Vif statistics:

a4.ph.gla.ac.uk [130.209.45.102] [Thu Jan 08 10:22:12 GMT 1998]: 
 
mbone.ed.ja.net [193.63.106.99] [Thu Jan 08 10:22:12 GMT 1998]: 
  dvmrpVInterfaceOutOctets.0 : 919064597 
  dvmrpVInterfaceOutOctets.1 : 3947786946 
  dvmrpVInterfaceOutOctets.2 : 340954518 
  dvmrpVInterfaceOutOctets.3 : 418060365 
 
As you see, there is resolutely no response from a4.ph.

So my question, why is it that mstat can query them both, while tkined or
MRTG are successfully querying our provider's statistics but not my own?

best regards

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 08:02:43 PST

>MRTG are successfully querying our provider's statistics but not my own?

If your own router is running another SNMP daemon as well, mrouted's SNMP
daemon listens on port 9161 instead of the standard SNMP port 161.  mstat
knows this and tries both, but you need to tell your other tools about
port 9161 manually.

  Bill

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 12:52:08 -0500 (EST)

> retrieve the corresponding information from our providers'

Bill Fenner's response is correct.  Try port 9161 if you run
snmpd on your machines also.

Your problem was specifically about the DVMRP MIB.  Other people
sometimes have a different problem with the IGMP, IP Multicast,
and PIM MIBs in older mrouted's and ciscos, so for the list's sake 
I'll describe that too, although it shouldn't be your problem.

Before IANA assigned OIDs for the various MIBs, they were implemented
in cisco's experimental space.  Once IANA assigned OIDs, the implementations
were changed to use the new OIDs.  The mstat utility checks BOTH oids
(if the new OIDs don't exist, it then tries the old ones).

For anyone trying to use other MIB browsers with older implementations
(and you should really upgrade to a reasonably current one...), the 
OIDs are:

IGMP MIB:
  Older: cisco.ciscoExperiment.1 (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.1.1.1...)   
  Newer: experimental.59 (1.3.6.1.3.59.1.1...)

IP Multicast MIB:
  Older: cisco.ciscoExperiment.2 (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.2.1.1...)  
  Newer: experimental.60 (1.3.6.1.3.60.1.1...)

PIM MIB:
  Older: cisco.ciscoExperiment.3 (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.3.1.1...)  
  Newer: experimental.61 (1.3.6.1.3.61.1.1...)

DVMRP MIB:
  Newer: experimental.62 (1.3.6.1.3.62.1.1...)

-Dave Thaler

---

From: "Alan J. Flavell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 18:32:26 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Bill Fenner wrote:

>  mstat

Thank you!  That was exactly what I was missing, that works fine now (just
tried it with tkined/scotty).

Hope this helps someone else too.