Subject: Re: the mbone experiment

From: Jim Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 18:28:49 +0100 (BST)

[email-masked] (Jeff Young) writes:

> what the mbone needs is a killer app.  

Are Real Audio and Real Video MBONE-compatible?

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015

---

From: Gordon Joly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:35:31 +0100

>>>>> "Jim" == Jim Dixon <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> what the mbone needs is a killer app.

    Jim> Are Real Audio and Real Video MBONE-compatible?

    Jim> -- Jim Dixon VBCnet GB Ltd http://www.vbc.net tel +44 117 929
    Jim> 1316 fax +44 117 927 2015

Yes, they are multicast ready.

Gordo.

-- 
Gordon Joly http://pobox.com/%7Egjoly/ [email-masked]

---

From: "Jeff Young" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:06:51 -0400

yes,

the real network  that we just deployed can deliver content to 
clients via multicast (if a multicast route is available to the
client).  second choice would be unicast, third would be tcp/http
to masquerade through firewalls.  very nice for 'real-time' events.

Jeff Young
[email-masked]

> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 18:28:49 +0100 (BST)
> From: Jim Dixon <[email-masked]>
> X-Sender: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: the mbone experiment
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Precedence: bulk
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
> Content-Length: 273
>

---

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 08:02:07 -0700

Oh, what does multicast ready mean , in the context of Real
Audio/Video servers? 8)

	Tnks,
	Amancio

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:33:28 +0300 (EEST)

> to masquerade through firewalls.  very nice for 'real-time' events.
What is this "real network" and is the content generally available?

Pete

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:43:19 +0300 (EEST)

> Oh, what does multicast ready mean , in the context of Real

The delivery, when the content is "live" transmission can be done over
multicast. Don't know if they are using any kind of standard
encapsulation like RTP.

Pete

---

From: "Jeff Young" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 15:50:11 -0400

i guess the short answer is that the real network is a collaboration
between MCI and Progressive Networks.  MCI places Progressive Networks
equipment in our network and we turn both sales groups loose to sell
the network.  Cost of content is a matter to take up with the RN customers,
they pay to broadcast and can choose to recoup their costs in advertising,
pay-per-view, or etc.  The long answer is:

www.realnetwork.com

Jeff Young
[email-masked]

> From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
> To: "Jeff Young" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Jim Dixon <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Cuban)
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 22:45:51 -0500

But is the MCI network multicast enabled yet ? Can any of the dial up ports
be reached in multicast groups ?

I know at AudioNet, we have multicast enabled more than 200k dial up ports
so far, and can offer tunnels into any network that wants to receive our
content. In fact, we have multiple Cisco Routers dedicated to only
providing tunnels and managing groups.

Its been a great success and we have multicast everything from Nebraska
football to ongoing multicasts of radio stations each and every day. Its a
normal part of our business, and we invite schools and ISPs who want to
join in, to come in.

For ISPs who want to establish a further relationship, we will help you
enable and test the multicast abilities of your network and have created a
model where we will share revenue with you based upon the number of
participants to AudioNet paid for events. In addition, we are offering
content that is exlusive to our multicast partners, and have begun testing
high bandwidth video from leading TV stations and networks so that you can
offer it to your customers as a premium charge value add.

One of the first test we will roll out is a High Bit Rate NHL Highlights
and Classics channel this fall !

If you want to know more, just let me know

mark cuban
president
audionet

---

From: Warren Melnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 06:59:26 +0500

>>> What is this "real network" and is the content generally available?
:-)
Warren Melnick
Network Guru, Websine, Inc.
[email-masked]

...and while you're out there surfing try:
http://www.grit.net
Not a search engine for the whole Internet, but a Resource for people to
promote, hear, see and learn about what is going on on the Internet. 

Warning: Old PGP (2.6.2) key has been revoked!  New key:

To the recipient of this e-mail,

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
GRIT and/or WebSine.

GRIT, The Talk of the Internet.

http://www.grit.net
phone: 212-631-7456
fax: 212-631-7499
e-mail [email-masked]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
GRIT(R) is a registered Trademark

e  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
GRIT and/or WebSine.

GRIT, The Talk of the Internet.

http://www.grit.net
phone: 212-631-7456
fax: 212-631-7499
e-mail [email-masked]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
GRIT(R) is a registered Trademark

---

From: Warren Melnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 07:00:26 +0500

oops - forgot to paste in the reply:
Yes, the MCI network IS multicast enabled.  I have done many tests with my
MCI connection and have been able to send and receive multicast without
problems.  My cisco router on the other hand......

:-)
Warren Melnick

http://www.grit.net
phone: 212-631-7456
fax: 212-631-7499
e-mail [email-masked]

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 21:22:59 +0300 (EEST)

> If you want to know more, just let me know
How do you define "High Bit Rate"?

Pete

---

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:50:45 -0700

Hi Petri,

You forgot to add  which encoding scheme , h.261, h.263, 
mpge 1 or mpeg 2 ...

	Regards,
	Amancio

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:30:47 +0300 (EEST)

> You forgot to add  which encoding scheme , h.261, h.263, 
Although I admit that you can certainly achieve better end result with
500kbps MPEG than similar bandwidth H.261, I don't see why I should
specifically asked for an encoding?

(since if we do anything else than H.261 we're out of luck with the
free tools for non-WinTel anyway)

Pete

---

From: Amancio Hasty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 01:28:35 -0700

Actually, h.261, and also perhaps mpeg we can deal with however
H.263 is a bit more difficult giving its generous royalties
payments 8)

	Cheers,
	Amancio