Subject: Wellfleet routers and multicasting :-(

From: Mark Bixby <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 10:24:17 -0700 (PDT)

Our Wellfleet / Bay Networks BLN-2 router has been crashing every couple of
days since we joined the mbone.  It's running software version 8.12 fix 11.
This router is our endpoint of the tunnel from mbone.cerf.net.  We are not
running mrouted.

The router runs fine for a while, and all of the popular mbone tools (sdr,vic,
vat,wb,etc) are fully functional until the router crashes.

Would anybody who has gotten these routers to work in a stable manner with
multicasting please tell me how you did it?  

Thanks!
-- 
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [email-masked]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/
District Information Services   1370 Adams Ave., Costa Mesa, CA, USA 92626-5429
Technical Support               +1 714 432-5865 x7064
"You can tune a file system, but you can't tune a fish." - tunefs(1M)

---

From: "J. Bryan Juliano" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 11:00:57 -0700

Get version 10.0 of the WFcode.  It's the first version that seems to
have stable multicast code.  Besides, version 8.x doesn't support pruning.
The 9.x code was o.k., but crashed about once a month due to multicast bugs
the support engineer I worked with said there were a LOT of bug reports 
against 9.x, but that others had good results(as have I so far) with 10.x.

-Bryan

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Ostrowski)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 17:34:38 -0400 (EDT)

We having been spending a lot of effort in the more recent multicast releases
as they support pruning.

I would recommend upgrading to a 10.00+ as there is a feature that will
allow you to limit the number of routes you learn (which is important 
if you don't have a lot of free memory when there is a flux of routes).

- Stephen
P.S. If you have any questions, feel free to ask