Subject: Q: Alphas, DU3.2, vat and AudioFile

From: Markus Buchhorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 12:52:55 +1000

Help ! (Says it all, really :-) ).

No - Ok: I have an Alpha (EV5/266), with DU 3.2c. At this stage we have no 
video capture, but will soon have a FullVideo Supreme card on order. It has the
full MME160 bundle. nv and wb work great (unicast only at this stage)
between a Sparc 5 and the Alpha.

Now I want audio.

The Alpha has the Microsoft Sound Board, which is configured and installed, 
and MME can work with it.

vat 3.3/4.0b1 got and unpacked. AudioFile v3R1 got, installed and 
Amsb runs (after I killed the mmeserver, which tied up /dev/msb0).

At this point all documentation for vat/AF just ups and dies with a
fading 'just start up AF, and then run vat.....'. 

vat "can't connect to AF server".

I have tried various combinations of switches
without being really clear on their effect. Does vat connect to the AF
port e.g. Amsb :8199 => vat -U 8199 <ip.addr>/<port> ? Or at least: should it ?

I have scanned the FAQs and my MBONE archives for the last couple of years
to no avail. I need help ! :-) 

BTW - why does vat require AF on Alphas/DU3.2 ? 

Thanks for any and all help !

Cheers,
	Markus

Markus Buchhorn,  Parallel Computing Research Facility   |  Ph: +61 6 2492930
email = [email-masked],  snail = CISR, I Block, | Fax: +61 6 2490747
Australian National University, Canberra 0200, Australia | Mobile: 017 970715