Subject: RE: Was: IMJ announcement - "interesting" apps needed for MBone?

From: [email-masked] (Kevin C. Almeroth)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 10:24:17 -0500 (EST)

>>> can go a long way.  If we stop thinking in term of a single
>>> global mbone and start treating multicast as part of the 
>>> infrastructure, we'll start seeing services flourish on regional
>>> levels.  Perhaps the answer is to get rid of the mbone and
>>> start looking at many multicast backbones.  

What is the MBone anyway?  I (think I) know what it used to be, but 
as multicast becomes a feature of the entire infrastructure the MBone
ceases to exist.  To a large extent this has already happened.  MBone
content isn't even just audio, video, and whiteboard anymore.

-Kevin Almeroth

---

From: Petri Helenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 17:48:50 +0200 (EET)

> content isn't even just audio, video, and whiteboard anymore.
I think MBone is the interconnecting fabric of multicast AS's until a
replacement interdomain multicast routing system is deployed.

Unfortunately there is no implementations of such systems available as
of today.

Pete