Subject: ? rtp/rtcp udp/ip multicast on token ring net

From: Steven Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 08:53:15 -0700

Has there been any large implementation of running
RTP/RTCP UDP/IP multicast on TR network?
Thanks.

---

From: "Thomas R. Benjamin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 15:59:43 -0500 (CDT)

Steven:

We are rolling out an IP Multicast project that involves a large number
of Token Rings, connected by Cisco 7513 routers.  One of our concerns
at this time is being certain the Mac address the multicast packets map
to is a Token RIng functional address, and not a broadcast address,
which could be disruptive.  This is addressed in Cisco release notes,
although I'm not sure at exactly what level the problem is fixed.

Another concern is the choice of Multicast routing protocol: PIM dense-mode
versus PIM sparse-mode.  Other IOS version dependencies are keeping us from
reaching a recent enough code level to use the sparse-dense mode with
auto rendezvous-point selection.

As we proceed, I will provide further detail if you are interested.

Tom

-- 
Thomas R. Benjamin
IBM Austin, SiteIT dept.
Phone:  512.823.9359
E-Mail: [email-masked]