Subject: trying to get started -- please help

From: Christian Kuhtz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 22:44:59 -0700

Hello gang:

I'm attempting to extend a leg of the mbone to one of our POPs and need
some help getting started.

This is what our configuration looks like:

	[SprintLink]		      [UUNET]
	     |                           |
           |      +-------------+      |
           +------| Cisco 720x  |------+
                  +-------------+
                         |
                  +-------------+
                  | Solaris 2.6 |
                  +-------------+

I'd like to use the SprintLink path for Mbone traffic (and ignore UUNET
for the time being ;-) and bring IP multicast into the 720x and down to
the Solaris 2.6 system which will act as the local fan-out for tunnels
etc.  So, in essence run true multicast IP all the way to the Solaris
box.

What would consitute a minimal setup on the 7206 (which is running
11.2(9)P)?  What do I want to go to?  How about the Solaris box?  I have
mrouted3.8-Solaris2.6 from playground.sun.com already installed.

As to the pipe I have in mind, I have between .5Mbps and 2Mbps
available, and would obviously like to conserve bandwidth if possible,
but we can easily work on turning the knobs if we need more bandwidth.

And lastly, anyone from SprintLink on this list who can shed some light
on the SprintLink side of things?
Any kind of remarks are welcome.  Whether pertinent to the cisco or
Solaris or both, I'd appreciate sample configurations or caveats or
general flames.  

When I get enough information together to actually make it work, I vow
to write up a piece of documentation and publish it on one of our
websites to allow others to do the same thing.  Is that any incentive to
anyone to help me out? ;-)

If there's anyone who thinks that this might be easier to resolve over
the phone, no problem -- give me a number and I'll get in touch with
you.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Cheers,
Chris

--
Christian Kuhtz (CK2025)  [email-masked] (work) [email-masked] (home)
Sr. Systems Eng., Internet Communications Corp, Denver, CO www.incc.net
"My  opinions  belong  to  me, and  I  actually  do speak  for myself."

---

From: "John M. Zwiebel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 07:43:09 -0800

Christian:

Look at ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/ipmulticast.html

What is the advantage of having the DVMRP tunnels speadout from the 
solaris machine vs doing it on the 7200?

If you intend to keep the Solaris host, and not tunnel to it configure 
"ip dvmrp unicast-routing" on the 7200 on the interface leading to that 
host so you can pass the dvmrp routes downstream.  Consider sending 
default from the 7200.  See the Multicast-Commands file.

    Hello gang:

    
    	[SprintLink]		      [UUNET]
    	     |                           |
               |      +-------------+      |

    

    

    Cheers,
    Chris

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	John Zwiebel                       Phone: 408-526-5303
	Cisco Systems Inc.                 
	Multimedia Group                   

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

   [If you can get sick from second-hand smoke], what about second-hand
   stress?  There's a Finland study that shows stress can [cause as much 
   damage to the body] as a pack of cigarettes a day.  Are the people that 
   live in your house going to be able to sue you for causing them stress?

	A caller to the Hog Line on KPIG

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=