Subject: RE: mrouted for Windows?

From: Arlie Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 10:40:47 -0500

I think the intent of the original message was that it is trivial to
build a small *BSD machine that will suffice simply for multicast
routing.  For example, I use a tiny 486/25 with 8M RAM at home as my
mrouter, next to my NT 4.0 workstation.  The link to the outside world
is 128K ISDN.  From the load on this machine, even during the heaviest
use, it is obvious that I could make do with an even smaller machine,
say, a 386/40 with 6M RAM.  386/40 motherboards and cases grow on trees
these days; many retail computer stores have boxes and boxes of them
just sitting around, from customer upgrades and trade-ins.

In other words, there is little excuse not to have a second machine for
an mrouter.  The requirements are very slim, indeed.

-- arlie

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Chris Robson ATDNet Admin [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Tuesday, November 26, 1996 7:25 AM
>To:	Bill Fenner
>Cc:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	Re: mrouted for Windows?
>
>
>
>Bill
>
>>   Last time someone raised that question on this mailing list, Jim
>> Gemmell <[email-masked]> said: "No."
>> 
>>   (Not "Not yet" or "No but we're working on it" or even "No but we'd
>> consider adding it if enough people expressed an interest", just "No.")
>
>This answer seems a bit short sighted.
>
>> 
>>   If you just want to use cheap PC hardware, mrouted runs fine on FreeBSD,
>> NetBSD and Linux.
>> 
>This is fine but not all situations make this a choice one can use. 
>For 
>example in my own case, I neither have nor can afford to configure my 
>system with both Win95 (which is needed for other apps) and FreeBSD.  
>This takes added hardware, ie disk space.  Nor does BSD or Linux
>support 
>the video hardware I have and I suspect most of the other people who
>are 
>doing VTC stuff on MS PCs. It would be nice to have the SP provide
>it but generally they dont.
>
>tks.....chris

---

From: Arlie Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 10:40:47 -0500

-- arlie