Subject: vat causes a kernel panic

From: "Bruce R. Littlefield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 19:54:54 -0500

Does anyone have experience running sdr/vic/vat/wb on the DEC Alpha
(3000-series turbochannel machines) under Digital Unix 4.0? 

I've tried the mme versions from the mbone_kit_t1.0b as well as the
latest versions from the distribution sites. The sdr, vic, and wb
applications run well, but vat often crashes the workstation with an
"invalid memory ifetch access from kernel mode" panic. The mme version
from mbone_kit_t1.0b is the same executable as decalpha-vat-3.4.

Has anyone else found this kernel bug? Are there patches?

-- 
Regards,

Bruce R. Littlefield   Manager of Computing and Network Services 
Tel: (207) 581-2238    Electrical and Computer Engineering
Fax: (207) 581-2220    University of Maine
[email-masked]  5708 Barrows Hall, Orono, Maine 04469

---

From: Dermot Tynan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:13:16 +0000 (GMT)

> Has anyone else found this kernel bug? Are there patches?

We're running VAT on various DEC Alpha machines, including v3.2 and
v4.0, all using AudioFile and have no problems whatsoever.  We have
a Windows NT version which won't see any other sessions mind you,
but that's on a 486 architecture.
						- Der
-- 
Dermot Tynan						+353 91 754608
[email-masked]					 DTN: 822-4608

AltaVista Internet Software, Galway, Ireland