Subject: frequency/ratio of back-reports in large multicast

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:20:53 +1000 (EST)

Is there a simple metric for the rate and ratio of subscribers to
'useful reporters' in multicast which is a function of the global
or for each specified ttl/scope horizon (or some other limit on scope
in the broader sense) eg

	if the group has <10 participants, all might as well send
	back reports at frequency <n> / 10 modulo some random dither

	if the group has between 10 and 100, backoff frequency by an
	order of magnitude, and make the random dither 1/10 as likely
	to permit a message

	if the group has >100 participants, scale the response as a
	function of TTL/scope using a higher frequency at the small scope
	and a low frequency at the wide scope.

	intermediate boxes receiving reports which are also acting
	as forwarders should send aggregated reports at some intermediate
	rate determined by their assessment of their relative 'importance'
	in the multicast tree

My bet is the answer is yes, but I'll be told this is for RMP or SRM lists.

-George