Subject: Looking for MBone Tunnel

From: "Justin M. Seger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 20:45:21 -0500 (EST)

Hello.  My ISP doesn't currently offer MBone service, and I am interested in
joining the MBone.  My current connection is only 33.6k, so my bandwidth
requirements are low.  My IP address is 204.167.102.1.  If anyone can provide
me with a tunnel for the next few months, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
-Justin Seger-

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Hall)
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 22:03:04 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

It s doubtful you could connect to the mbone at anything less than 256KB
due to flood-prune deal.

_J

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 20:26:23

>It s doubtful you could connect to the mbone at anything less than 256KB

NOT TRUE!  For several months now it has been possible to run DVMRP tunnels
- using "mrouted" - over low-bandwidth links.  (For instance, I have an
ongoing connection to the MBone over a 28.8/33.6 kbps modem link.)

What makes this practical is the recent version of "mrouted" (v3.9) that
retransmits DVMRP prunes, for reliability.  (Plus, of course, the ability
to set a "rate_limit" on DVMRP tunnels.)

Justin Seger's machine appears to be running FreeBSD, so he should have no
problem running "mrouted", if someone can give him a tunnel.

We have got to eliminate this myth that the only people who can use the
MBone are those with high-bandwidth connections to the Internet.

	Ross.

ps. Also, not every multicast routing protocol works via "flood & prune" :-)