Subject: RE: Multicast for dialup customers?

From: Dwight Spencer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:38:42 -0300

I have done this myself at home, using an (older) 486 dx2 66
running Linux (with multicast enabled), to dialin to my RAS server (NT)
at my office.

Once this link is up, I start mrouted on the linux host at home, which
has a dvmrp mrouted tunnel to my host on the internet, 
131.202.3.18.

This tunnel , after startup, takes a while to stop flooding after the 
initial start up (I set a rate_limit of 16 on this tunnel), 
and I've not been able to see session advertisements (yet) at
home.  The local interface, eth0, which is using 192.168.0.3 (Bill
Fenner advised that if using this, against trying to source
a session), and the other hosts on the lan there are in that range
as well.

The Win95 box running SDR did not (after 2 hours with mrouted running)
recieve any session advertisements.  I plan to try a text based SDR and
a linux version of sdr & multikit this weekend to see if the session 
advertisements are available to the linux host itself.

Once I've tested this, I'll post again.

dwight s.
==
dwight spencer				phone:  506 444 5389
internet services manager			fax:    506 444 4232
[email-masked]

TeleEducation NB, 500 Beaverbrook Court,
Fredericton, NB, Canada, E3B 5H1

-----Original Message-----
From:	Steve Deering [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Thursday, May 22, 1997 6:47 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Cc:	Richard Williams; [email-masked]
Subject:	Re: Multicast for dialup customers?

At 11:24 AM -0700 5/22/97, Richard Williams wrote:
> Does anyone know of any working models or tests for providing multicast to
> dialup customers? Specifically Win95 dialup. What are some of the more
> obvious problems? What equipment is being used? Most importantly why not?
> ANY information is greatly appreciated!

This reminds me of another question I have.  During the multicast tutorial
that I co-taught at Interop a couple weeks ago, the usual question came
	
	(2) Take a second PC and place it between the dialup line and the
	    original PC, e.g., like this:

		PC1 ---<ethernet>--- PC2 ---<dialup>--- AccessRouter

	    Then run Windows or NT on PC1 and run BSD and mrouted on PC2,
	    with a DVMRP tunnel from PC2 to an MBone router somewhere
	    in the Internet, and IGMP and native IP multicast being spoken
	    between PC1 and PC2.