Subject: High Traffic with no users

From: [email-masked] (Chris Whittenburg)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 14:06:28 -0600 (CST)

I have a Solaris 2.5 machine running mrouted along with the
apps themselves connected via a tunnel to UUnet.  Even
when none of the apps are running (or sdr for that matter!)
I'm getting around 500 kbps of IP-in-IP data from uunet.

Doing a dump, I only show groups for 224.0.0.2, 224.0.0.4
(which I would expect) and for 224.1.127.255, 224.1.127.254
and 224.1.127.253 (which I'm not really sure about).

I'm using current versions of everything, as far as I can tell.
Anyone have an idea about this?

Thanks,
chris
-- 
Chris Whittenburg
Data Network Mechanic			(918) 590-5845
Worldcom Inc.				[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:32:54 PST

Did you install the kernel patches to allow running of a recent
mrouted?
(ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/multicast/Solaris_mc35+.2.5-patch.tar.gz)

The mrouted that comes with Solaris 2.5 does not prune, so receiving
all traffic is to be expected.  You should be running mrouted 3.8 .

  Bill