Subject: Re: more RINT/TINT error messages!

From: "Jeffrey S. Curtis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 01:16:16 -0600

}I just tried putting the patches onto a SS5 (sun4m) with a 4-port (qe) 
}card.  The kernel recompiled just peachy, but no unicast traffic passes 
}in/out of any of the qe{0-3} interfaces. [...]

Drat.  In other words, if you have a SPARC 5 and want multicasting
on ethernet interfaces, your only options are the builtin ethernet
port and any SCSI+10baseT sBus NICs you have in the machine (which
I've gotten to work with ipmulti-3.5).

}That kinda sucks, considering I was going to replace the single port 
}LANCE Ethernet with one of the 4-port jobbies. :(

Likewise.  I'm scrapping the whole plan and proceeding without
multicast-capable kernels on my SPARC 5s at this point...

Thanks for your test results.

Jeff
-- 
Jeffrey S. Curtis                      | Internetwork Manager
Argonne National Laboratory            | Email: [email-masked]
9700 South Cass Avenue, ECT-221        | Voice: 708/252-1789
Argonne, IL 60439                      | Fax:   708/252-9689

---

From: Stephen Casner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 00:58:59 -0800 (PST)

I don't wish to state any position regarding SunOS vs. Solaris,
but while I was at ISI we set up a SPARC5 with two quad ether boards
running Solaris to mroute among ISI's subnets.  It seems to work fine.

							-- Steve

---

From: Bob Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 1996 07:48:20 -0600

> I've gotten to work with ipmulti-3.5).

Hm. Since the topic came up, I've got an ss20 with two
SCSI+10BaseT nics in it running 4.1.4. When running the multicast
kernel, I could not keep all three interfaces running -- one of them
would always flake out after a day or so. Works like a champ without
the multicast extensions.

--bob

---

From: Syngen Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 96 18:48:16 GMT

> I've gotten to work with ipmulti-3.5).
 
Not quite, since my last posting I have successfully configured a
multicast router comprising a SPARC 4, SunOS 4.1.3_U1B, ipmulti 3.5,
mrouted 3.8 and the Sbus Ethernet Card (X453A).  I mentioned that
replacing the if_le.o driver with that from the ipmulti 3.3 had been
known to work, although I had tried this unsuccessfully at that time.
It now appears that there are at least two versions of this driver for
the Sun4m architecture.  The first one I tried reports the Sbus
Ethernet Card to be unsupported, this is 19389 bytes in length and has
the checksum 40268 (calculated by SunOS4 sum).  The good one is 21237
bytes length and has the checksum 23695.  Unfortunately I could not
get even the good one to work under SunOS4.1.4, although there is no
indication of anything untoward until one attempts to start mrouted. 

I'm afraid I cannot account for the two different versions of this
driver, but if anyone has difficulty locating the good if_le.o I'll
make a copy available to them.

Syngen