Subject: (Q) mbone media on demand service

From: Kyungran Kang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 14:06:37 +0900 (KST)

Hello, everyone.

I'm planning to build a mbone archive site.
And I'd like to have a sample site. Is anyone operating a mbone
media on demand service?

I've visited mice server but it seemed to have stopped.

If you are oprating a mbone media on demand service or if you are
planning to, please let me know. It will be great help to me.

Thanks very much in advance.

- krkang

---

From: Wieland Holfelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 10:43:23 +0100 (MET)

> And I'd like to have a sample site. Is anyone operating a mbone

Seems as there is quite some development going on in this area...

yes, we are also working on a media on demand service for the MBone,
we call it MBone VCR on demand service. It is the followup project
of the MBone VCR that I implemented some time ago at ICSI.
The system will consist of Java based clients (they may run as
java application as well as java applets) and multithreaded servers
implemented in java and native C++ code.

They communicate through ROJ (remote objects for java) which is
a Corba compatible implementation of SUN written in Java.

Clients can request recordings and playbacks of MBone sessios 
at the servers, there will be access control and of course, clients
have full VCR control during playback and recording.
The server has an interface to SAP (Version 0 and 1) and SDP (Version 0
as described in the sdp draft 03.2). The server makes announcments
available to clients and announces playbacks over these protocols.

We hope to have a first alpha version ready early next year.
Stay tuned.

-- Wieland
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wieland Holfelder                              University of Mannheim
Praktische Informatik IV                      Phone: +49-621-292-5679
L 15,16                                       Fax  : +49-621-292-5745
68131 Mannheim                     [email-masked]
Germany                    http://www.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/~whd
---------------------------------------------------------------------