Subject: Re: Mbone over ISDN

From: Kurt Kayser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 09:57:18 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello!

> Has anyone try to run an mbone session
> over ISDN line?  I would be very interested
> in trying to make this work.

Sure, that's not the problem. The missing standard is
that there's no mechanism yet that enables the tunnel
on the fly, when the channel(s) are active. At least
I didn't see working code yet..

But 128k with 2B Channels works OK for 1 Video and 1 Audio
session.

Kurt
--
Kurt Kayser <http://www.ecrc.de/staff/kurt/> => Tel. +49 89 926 99148
ECRC European Computer Research Centre       => Fax. +49 89 926 99170
Arabellastr. 17, 81925 Munich, Germany       => E-Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Gilles Dauphin)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 12:01:26 +0200

> From [email-masked] Thu Apr  3 22:04:04 1997
> 
> I run a tunnel over my ISDN line to home.  I set the rate limit to 100kbps
> so I still have a little bandwidth left over, and with the limited priority
> queueing in the UNIX kernel it works extremely well.
> 
>   Bill

> From [email-masked] Fri Apr  4 09:57:25 1997
> 

I have too at home. But think when using 2B Channels you pay twice.
Using GSM encoding for audio and low rate for video is good enought
for most conference. It would be a good idea if IETF and WWW6 use this
kind of encoding to save bandwidth. Just a suggest...

Gilles

---

From: Henning Sanneck <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 12:33:27 +0200

Hi,

Kurt Kayser wrote:
> on the fly, when the channel(s) are active. 

Right. We tried to enable an on-the-fly solution by configuring 
hosts to use a dedicated mrouter (but without setting up a tunnel 
for every host). The mrouter sends IGMPv2 general queries only after
receipt of the first IGMPv2 membership report (and quits sending 
general queries after receiving the IGMPv2 leave message for the last
group the host belongs to). This keeps the mrouter from constantly
setting up connections.

If you want to permanently interconnect LANS via ISDN, you'll also
have to care about the neighbor mrouters exchanging DVMRP traffic (or
use PIM instead).

A nice feature, when you have lots of configured destinations at the
ISDN mrouter, is to have a _single interface_ through which all
destinations are accessed (instead of pt-pt interfaces). But then,
things get really complicated (multicast address resolution)...

Regards,

-- Henning

BTW, we have RSVP running over ISDN and control the link bandwidth
with a Class-Based Queueing Traffic Controller.  For reserved traffic,
additional channels can be explicitly allocated.

___________________________________________________________________
           Henning Sanneck

           Research Institute for Open Communication Systems
	   GMD FOKUS, Hardenbergplatz 2, D-10623 Berlin, Germany
Phone    : ++49 / (0)30 / 254 99 - 175
Fax      : ++49 / (0)30 / 254 99 - 202
e-mail   : [email-masked]
WWW      : http://www.fokus.gmd.de/usr/san
___________________________________________________________________