Subject: Verify DVMRP routes?

From: Len Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 18:04:51 -0500

How can I as a site connected to the MBONE verify that all see my routes?

I have been having some serious problems with mbone connectivity lately
and reportedly folks within Sprint and in Europe haven't seen my routes..

Other customers attached to my mbone server have been reporting similar
problems. We're seeing customer routes, and we're seeing external routes
so we seem to have functional servers. We're connected to BBN Planet who
uses a Cisco.. We use a Sun running mrouted on this end.. We've verified
that point to point vic and vat/rat sessions are working externally to our
network. 

Thanks for any information.

I might be willing to implement some sort of web-based mtrace and netstat 
utility for folks to use, if anyone think's it is useful. It seems to me
that unless I've missed something in the documentation that there is no
way to verify dvmrp routes unless you're checking from outside your network..

Len

[email-masked]
http://www.netsys.com

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 20:48:55 -0500 (EST)

> How can I as a site connected to the MBONE verify that all see my routes?

One way to exactly what information they see is to use mstat to query 
snmp-capable mrouted's in various places.  You can get a list of 
snmp-capable mrouted's by clicking on "3.8 PMS" on the page you get at:
   http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mr-vers?league=1
Unfortunately, it's not responding at the moment so I don't have the
final URL, but you can try mbone.merit.edu and sydney.eecs.umich.edu 
as examples.

The command to check for, say, 141.213.10/24 is:
   mstat -nr -x 141.213.10.0 hostname

-Dave Thaler