Subject: mrouted on IRIX 6.2

From: JY Luke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:01:25 +0800

Hi,

I am new in this field hope somebody can help.

I kept getting these messages whenever I tried to run mrouted (guess I
didn't configure it properly)

- mrouted 3.8
- Getting vifs from kernel interface
- installing ec0 (192.x.x.x on subnet 192.x.x/24) as vif #0 - rate=0
- getting vifs from /etc/mrouted.conf
- can't forward: only one enabled vif <--- what happened here?

I tried several configurations but still have this problem. Is there
something that I must know. Thanks in advance.

Luke
MIMOS Berhad

---

From: Magnus Danielson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 02:12:00 +0200

>>>>> "JL" == JY Luke <[email-masked]> writes:

 JL> Hi,
 JL> I am new in this field hope somebody can help.

 JL> I kept getting these messages whenever I tried to run mrouted (guess I
 JL> didn't configure it properly)

 JL> - mrouted 3.8
 JL> - Getting vifs from kernel interface
 JL> - installing ec0 (192.x.x.x on subnet 192.x.x/24) as vif #0 - rate=0
 JL> - getting vifs from /etc/mrouted.conf
 JL> - can't forward: only one enabled vif <--- what happened here?

 JL> I tried several configurations but still have this problem. Is there
 JL> something that I must know. Thanks in advance.

Mrouted will not run unless you have at least two vifs. An vif is
either a multicast capable local interface or an tunnel. If you insert
an tunnel config line into /etc/mrouted.conf you migth have it up
running.

There is no point in having an Mrouted running on a machine which
receives no tunnels and only have one interface. For a machine to
utilise the native multicast on an local interface you will not need
Mrouted at that machine to use that multicast stream, regardless if
the stream comes from an machine on the network or from some other
Mbone connected network.

Cheers,
Magnus