Subject: CVE-2024-39362: i2c: acpi: Unbind mux adapters before delete

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

i2c: acpi: Unbind mux adapters before delete

There is an issue with ACPI overlay table removal specifically related
to I2C multiplexers.

Consider an ACPI SSDT Overlay that defines a PCA9548 I2C mux on an
existing I2C bus. When this table is loaded we see the creation of a
device for the overall PCA9548 chip and 8 further devices - one
i2c_adapter each for the mux channels. These are all bound to their
ACPI equivalents via an eventual invocation of acpi_bind_one().

When we unload the SSDT overlay we run into the problem. The ACPI
devices are deleted as normal via acpi_device_del_work_fn() and the
acpi_device_del_list.

However, the following warning and stack trace is output as the
deletion does not go smoothly:
------------[ cut here ]------------
kernfs: can not remove 'physical_node', no directory
WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 11 at fs/kernfs/dir.c:1674 kernfs_remove_by_name_ns+0xb9/0xc0
Modules linked in:
CPU: 1 PID: 11 Comm: kworker/u128:0 Not tainted 6.8.0-rc6+ #1
Hardware name: congatec AG conga-B7E3/conga-B7E3, BIOS 5.13 05/16/2023
Workqueue: kacpi_hotplug acpi_device_del_work_fn
RIP: 0010:kernfs_remove_by_name_ns+0xb9/0xc0
Code: e4 00 48 89 ef e8 07 71 db ff 5b b8 fe ff ff ff 5d 41 5c 41 5d e9 a7 55 e4 00 0f 0b eb a6 48 c7 c7 f0 38 0d 9d e8 97 0a d5 ff <0f> 0b eb dc 0f 1f 00 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90
RSP: 0018:ffff9f864008fb28 EFLAGS: 00010286
RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffff8ef90a8d4940 RCX: 0000000000000000
RDX: ffff8f000e267d10 RSI: ffff8f000e25c780 RDI: ffff8f000e25c780
RBP: ffff8ef9186f9870 R08: 0000000000013ffb R09: 00000000ffffbfff
R10: 00000000ffffbfff R11: ffff8f000e0a0000 R12: ffff9f864008fb50
R13: ffff8ef90c93dd60 R14: ffff8ef9010d0958 R15: ffff8ef9186f98c8
FS:  0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffff8f000e240000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
CR2: 00007f48f5253a08 CR3: 00000003cb82e000 CR4: 00000000003506f0
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 ? kernfs_remove_by_name_ns+0xb9/0xc0
 ? __warn+0x7c/0x130
 ? kernfs_remove_by_name_ns+0xb9/0xc0
 ? report_bug+0x171/0x1a0
 ? handle_bug+0x3c/0x70
 ? exc_invalid_op+0x17/0x70
 ? asm_exc_invalid_op+0x1a/0x20
 ? kernfs_remove_by_name_ns+0xb9/0xc0
 ? kernfs_remove_by_name_ns+0xb9/0xc0
 acpi_unbind_one+0x108/0x180
 device_del+0x18b/0x490
 ? srso_return_thunk+0x5/0x5f
 ? srso_return_thunk+0x5/0x5f
 device_unregister+0xd/0x30
 i2c_del_adapter.part.0+0x1bf/0x250
 i2c_mux_del_adapters+0xa1/0xe0
 i2c_device_remove+0x1e/0x80
 device_release_driver_internal+0x19a/0x200
 bus_remove_device+0xbf/0x100
 device_del+0x157/0x490
 ? __pfx_device_match_fwnode+0x10/0x10
 ? srso_return_thunk+0x5/0x5f
 device_unregister+0xd/0x30
 i2c_acpi_notify+0x10f/0x140
 notifier_call_chain+0x58/0xd0
 blocking_notifier_call_chain+0x3a/0x60
 acpi_device_del_work_fn+0x85/0x1d0
 process_one_work+0x134/0x2f0
 worker_thread+0x2f0/0x410
 ? __pfx_worker_thread+0x10/0x10
 kthread+0xe3/0x110
 ? __pfx_kthread+0x10/0x10
 ret_from_fork+0x2f/0x50
 ? __pfx_kthread+0x10/0x10
 ret_from_fork_asm+0x1b/0x30
 </TASK>
---[ end trace 0000000000000000 ]---
...
repeated 7 more times, 1 for each channel of the mux
...

The issue is that the binding of the ACPI devices to their peer I2C
adapters is not correctly cleaned up. Digging deeper into the issue we
see that the deletion order is such that the ACPI devices matching the
mux channel i2c adapters are deleted first during the SSDT overlay
removal. For each of the channels we see a call to i2c_acpi_notify()
with ACPI_RECONFIG_DEVICE_REMOVE but, because these devices are not
actually i2c_clients, nothing is done for them.

Later on, after each of the mux channels has been dealt with, we come
to delete the i2c_client representing the PCA9548 device. This is the
call stack we see above, whereby the kernel cleans up the i2c_client
including destruction of the mux and its channel adapters. At this
point we do attempt to unbind from the ACPI peers but those peers no
longer exist and so we hit the kernfs errors.

The fix is to augment i2c_acpi_notify() to handle i2c_adapters. But,
given that the life cycle of the adapters is linked to the i2c_client,
instead of deleting the i2c_adapters during the i2c_acpi_notify(), we
just trigger unbinding of the ACPI device from the adapter device, and
allow the clean up of the adapter to continue in the way it always has.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-39362 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit 525e6fabeae2 and fixed in 6.1.95 with commit b1574c8c0a80
	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit 525e6fabeae2 and fixed in 6.6.34 with commit 90dd0592b3b0
	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit 525e6fabeae2 and fixed in 6.9.5 with commit 4f08050a47a5
	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit 525e6fabeae2 and fixed in 6.10-rc1 with commit 3f858bbf04db

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-39362
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/i2c/i2c-core-acpi.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b1574c8c0a80bd587a7651bf64f00be1f5391d27
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/90dd0592b3b005d6f15c4e23e1364d3ae95e588d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4f08050a47a59d199e214d711b989bb4f5150373
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/3f858bbf04dbac934ac279aaee05d49eb9910051