Subject: CVE-2024-35923: io_uring: clear opcode specific data for an early failure

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

io_uring: clear opcode specific data for an early failure

If failure happens before the opcode prep handler is called, ensure that
we clear the opcode specific area of the request, which holds data
specific to that request type. This prevents errors where opcode
handlers either don't get to clear per-request private data since prep
isn't even called.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-35923 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.1.86 with commit 5245a6da27ef
	Fixed in 6.6.27 with commit 21162ad2de74
	Fixed in 6.8.6 with commit cb1cd176e0b4
	Fixed in 6.9 with commit e21e1c45e1fe

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-35923
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	io_uring/io_uring.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5245a6da27ef79f8dba98dad5542ebe56d311837
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/21162ad2de7446438cbd6224b3794a375bcb24df
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/cb1cd176e0b431644653a7fa8691a1aaf7be98da
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e21e1c45e1fe2e31732f40256b49c04e76a17cee