Subject: CVE-2024-26904: btrfs: fix data race at btrfs_use_block_rsv() when accessing block reserve

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

btrfs: fix data race at btrfs_use_block_rsv() when accessing block reserve

At btrfs_use_block_rsv() we read the size of a block reserve without
locking its spinlock, which makes KCSAN complain because the size of a
block reserve is always updated while holding its spinlock. The report
from KCSAN is the following:

  [653.313148] BUG: KCSAN: data-race in btrfs_update_delayed_refs_rsv [btrfs] / btrfs_use_block_rsv [btrfs]

  [653.314755] read to 0x000000017f5871b8 of 8 bytes by task 7519 on cpu 0:
  [653.314779]  btrfs_use_block_rsv+0xe4/0x2f8 [btrfs]
  [653.315606]  btrfs_alloc_tree_block+0xdc/0x998 [btrfs]
  [653.316421]  btrfs_force_cow_block+0x220/0xe38 [btrfs]
  [653.317242]  btrfs_cow_block+0x1ac/0x568 [btrfs]
  [653.318060]  btrfs_search_slot+0xda2/0x19b8 [btrfs]
  [653.318879]  btrfs_del_csums+0x1dc/0x798 [btrfs]
  [653.319702]  __btrfs_free_extent.isra.0+0xc24/0x2028 [btrfs]
  [653.320538]  __btrfs_run_delayed_refs+0xd3c/0x2390 [btrfs]
  [653.321340]  btrfs_run_delayed_refs+0xae/0x290 [btrfs]
  [653.322140]  flush_space+0x5e4/0x718 [btrfs]
  [653.322958]  btrfs_preempt_reclaim_metadata_space+0x102/0x2f8 [btrfs]
  [653.323781]  process_one_work+0x3b6/0x838
  [653.323800]  worker_thread+0x75e/0xb10
  [653.323817]  kthread+0x21a/0x230
  [653.323836]  __ret_from_fork+0x6c/0xb8
  [653.323855]  ret_from_fork+0xa/0x30

  [653.323887] write to 0x000000017f5871b8 of 8 bytes by task 576 on cpu 3:
  [653.323906]  btrfs_update_delayed_refs_rsv+0x1a4/0x250 [btrfs]
  [653.324699]  btrfs_add_delayed_data_ref+0x468/0x6d8 [btrfs]
  [653.325494]  btrfs_free_extent+0x76/0x120 [btrfs]
  [653.326280]  __btrfs_mod_ref+0x6a8/0x6b8 [btrfs]
  [653.327064]  btrfs_dec_ref+0x50/0x70 [btrfs]
  [653.327849]  walk_up_proc+0x236/0xa50 [btrfs]
  [653.328633]  walk_up_tree+0x21c/0x448 [btrfs]
  [653.329418]  btrfs_drop_snapshot+0x802/0x1328 [btrfs]
  [653.330205]  btrfs_clean_one_deleted_snapshot+0x184/0x238 [btrfs]
  [653.330995]  cleaner_kthread+0x2b0/0x2f0 [btrfs]
  [653.331781]  kthread+0x21a/0x230
  [653.331800]  __ret_from_fork+0x6c/0xb8
  [653.331818]  ret_from_fork+0xa/0x30

So add a helper to get the size of a block reserve while holding the lock.
Reading the field while holding the lock instead of using the data_race()
annotation is used in order to prevent load tearing.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26904 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 5.4.273 with commit 2daa2a8e895e
	Fixed in 6.1.83 with commit ab1be3f1aa77
	Fixed in 6.6.23 with commit f6d4d29a1265
	Fixed in 6.7.11 with commit 7e9422d35d57
	Fixed in 6.8 with commit c7bb26b847e5

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26904
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/btrfs/block-rsv.c
	fs/btrfs/block-rsv.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2daa2a8e895e6dc2395f8628c011bcf1e019040d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ab1be3f1aa7799f99155488c28eacaef65eb68fb
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f6d4d29a12655b42a13cec038c2902bb7efc50ed
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7e9422d35d574b646269ca46010a835ca074b310
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c7bb26b847e5b97814f522686068c5628e2b3646