Subject: CVE-2024-38626: fuse: clear FR_SENT when re-adding requests into pending list

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

fuse: clear FR_SENT when re-adding requests into pending list

The following warning was reported by lee bruce:

  ------------[ cut here ]------------
  WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 8264 at fs/fuse/dev.c:300
  fuse_request_end+0x685/0x7e0 fs/fuse/dev.c:300
  Modules linked in:
  CPU: 0 PID: 8264 Comm: ab2 Not tainted 6.9.0-rc7
  Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996)
  RIP: 0010:fuse_request_end+0x685/0x7e0 fs/fuse/dev.c:300
  ......
  Call Trace:
  <TASK>
  fuse_dev_do_read.constprop.0+0xd36/0x1dd0 fs/fuse/dev.c:1334
  fuse_dev_read+0x166/0x200 fs/fuse/dev.c:1367
  call_read_iter include/linux/fs.h:2104 [inline]
  new_sync_read fs/read_write.c:395 [inline]
  vfs_read+0x85b/0xba0 fs/read_write.c:476
  ksys_read+0x12f/0x260 fs/read_write.c:619
  do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
  do_syscall_64+0xce/0x260 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f
  ......
  </TASK>

The warning is due to the FUSE_NOTIFY_RESEND notify sent by the write()
syscall in the reproducer program and it happens as follows:

(1) calls fuse_dev_read() to read the INIT request
The read succeeds. During the read, bit FR_SENT will be set on the
request.
(2) calls fuse_dev_write() to send an USE_NOTIFY_RESEND notify
The resend notify will resend all processing requests, so the INIT
request is moved from processing list to pending list again.
(3) calls fuse_dev_read() with an invalid output address
fuse_dev_read() will try to copy the same INIT request to the output
address, but it will fail due to the invalid address, so the INIT
request is ended and triggers the warning in fuse_request_end().

Fix it by clearing FR_SENT when re-adding requests into pending list.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-38626 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.9 with commit 760eac73f9f6 and fixed in 6.9.4 with commit 533070db659a
	Issue introduced in 6.9 with commit 760eac73f9f6 and fixed in 6.10 with commit 246014876d78

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-38626
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/fuse/dev.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/533070db659a9589310a743e9de14cf9d651ffaf
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/246014876d782bbf2e652267482cd2e799fb5fcd