Subject: CVE-2024-38594: net: stmmac: move the EST lock to struct stmmac_priv

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: stmmac: move the EST lock to struct stmmac_priv

Reinitialize the whole EST structure would also reset the mutex
lock which is embedded in the EST structure, and then trigger
the following warning. To address this, move the lock to struct
stmmac_priv. We also need to reacquire the mutex lock when doing
this initialization.

DEBUG_LOCKS_WARN_ON(lock->magic != lock)
WARNING: CPU: 3 PID: 505 at kernel/locking/mutex.c:587 __mutex_lock+0xd84/0x1068
 Modules linked in:
 CPU: 3 PID: 505 Comm: tc Not tainted 6.9.0-rc6-00053-g0106679839f7-dirty #29
 Hardware name: NXP i.MX8MPlus EVK board (DT)
 pstate: 60000005 (nZCv daif -PAN -UAO -TCO -DIT -SSBS BTYPE=--)
 pc : __mutex_lock+0xd84/0x1068
 lr : __mutex_lock+0xd84/0x1068
 sp : ffffffc0864e3570
 x29: ffffffc0864e3570 x28: ffffffc0817bdc78 x27: 0000000000000003
 x26: ffffff80c54f1808 x25: ffffff80c9164080 x24: ffffffc080d723ac
 x23: 0000000000000000 x22: 0000000000000002 x21: 0000000000000000
 x20: 0000000000000000 x19: ffffffc083bc3000 x18: ffffffffffffffff
 x17: ffffffc08117b080 x16: 0000000000000002 x15: ffffff80d2d40000
 x14: 00000000000002da x13: ffffff80d2d404b8 x12: ffffffc082b5a5c8
 x11: ffffffc082bca680 x10: ffffffc082bb2640 x9 : ffffffc082bb2698
 x8 : 0000000000017fe8 x7 : c0000000ffffefff x6 : 0000000000000001
 x5 : ffffff8178fe0d48 x4 : 0000000000000000 x3 : 0000000000000027
 x2 : ffffff8178fe0d50 x1 : 0000000000000000 x0 : 0000000000000000
 Call trace:
  __mutex_lock+0xd84/0x1068
  mutex_lock_nested+0x28/0x34
  tc_setup_taprio+0x118/0x68c
  stmmac_setup_tc+0x50/0xf0
  taprio_change+0x868/0xc9c

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-38594 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit b2aae654a479 and fixed in 6.6.55 with commit b538fefeb102
	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit b2aae654a479 and fixed in 6.8.12 with commit 487f9030b1ef
	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit b2aae654a479 and fixed in 6.9.3 with commit 6f476aff2d8d
	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit b2aae654a479 and fixed in 6.10 with commit 36ac9e7f2e57
	Issue introduced in 5.10.62 with commit b2091d47a14e
	Issue introduced in 5.13.14 with commit 5ce4cc16d471

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-38594
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac.h
	drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_ptp.c
	drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_tc.c
	include/linux/stmmac.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b538fefeb1026aad9dcdcbb410c42b56dff8aae9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/487f9030b1ef34bab123f2df2a4ccbe01ba84416
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6f476aff2d8da1a189621c4c16a76a6c534e4312
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/36ac9e7f2e5786bd37c5cd91132e1f39c29b8197