Subject: CVE-2024-38555: net/mlx5: Discard command completions in internal error

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net/mlx5: Discard command completions in internal error

Fix use after free when FW completion arrives while device is in
internal error state. Avoid calling completion handler in this case,
since the device will flush the command interface and trigger all
completions manually.

Kernel log:
------------[ cut here ]------------
refcount_t: underflow; use-after-free.
...
RIP: 0010:refcount_warn_saturate+0xd8/0xe0
...
Call Trace:
<IRQ>
? __warn+0x79/0x120
? refcount_warn_saturate+0xd8/0xe0
? report_bug+0x17c/0x190
? handle_bug+0x3c/0x60
? exc_invalid_op+0x14/0x70
? asm_exc_invalid_op+0x16/0x20
? refcount_warn_saturate+0xd8/0xe0
cmd_ent_put+0x13b/0x160 [mlx5_core]
mlx5_cmd_comp_handler+0x5f9/0x670 [mlx5_core]
cmd_comp_notifier+0x1f/0x30 [mlx5_core]
notifier_call_chain+0x35/0xb0
atomic_notifier_call_chain+0x16/0x20
mlx5_eq_async_int+0xf6/0x290 [mlx5_core]
notifier_call_chain+0x35/0xb0
atomic_notifier_call_chain+0x16/0x20
irq_int_handler+0x19/0x30 [mlx5_core]
__handle_irq_event_percpu+0x4b/0x160
handle_irq_event+0x2e/0x80
handle_edge_irq+0x98/0x230
__common_interrupt+0x3b/0xa0
common_interrupt+0x7b/0xa0
</IRQ>
<TASK>
asm_common_interrupt+0x22/0x40

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-38555 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.10.20 with commit 27c79b3a9212 and fixed in 5.10.219 with commit f6fbb8535e99
	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit 51d138c2610a and fixed in 5.15.161 with commit 3cb92b0ad73d
	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit 51d138c2610a and fixed in 6.1.93 with commit bf8aaf0ae01c
	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit 51d138c2610a and fixed in 6.6.33 with commit 1337ec94bc5a
	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit 51d138c2610a and fixed in 6.8.12 with commit 1d5dce5e92a7
	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit 51d138c2610a and fixed in 6.9.3 with commit 7ac4c69c3424
	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit 51d138c2610a and fixed in 6.10 with commit db9b31aa9bc5
	Issue introduced in 5.11.3 with commit 2e5d24b3bf09

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-38555
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/cmd.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f6fbb8535e990f844371086ab2c1221f71f993d3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/3cb92b0ad73d3f1734e812054e698d655e9581b0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/bf8aaf0ae01c27ae3c06aa8610caf91e50393396
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1337ec94bc5a9eed250e33f5f5c89a28a6bfabdb
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1d5dce5e92a70274de67a59e1e674c3267f94cd7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7ac4c69c34240c6de820492c0a28a0bd1494265a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/db9b31aa9bc56ff0d15b78f7e827d61c4a096e40