Subject: CVE-2024-36970: wifi: iwlwifi: Use request_module_nowait

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

wifi: iwlwifi: Use request_module_nowait

This appears to work around a deadlock regression that came in
with the LED merge in 6.9.

The deadlock happens on my system with 24 iwlwifi radios, so maybe
it something like all worker threads are busy and some work that needs
to complete cannot complete.

[also remove unnecessary "load_module" var and now-wrong comment]

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36970 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in v6.9-rc1~118 with commit f5c31bcf604d and fixed in 6.9.2 with commit d20013259539
	Issue introduced in v6.9-rc1~118 with commit f5c31bcf604d and fixed in 6.10 with commit 3d913719df14

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36970
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/iwl-drv.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d20013259539e2fde2deeac85354851097afdf9e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/3d913719df14c28c4d3819e7e6d150760222bda4