Subject: CVE-2024-36963: tracefs: Reset permissions on remount if permissions are options

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

tracefs: Reset permissions on remount if permissions are options

There's an inconsistency with the way permissions are handled in tracefs.
Because the permissions are generated when accessed, they default to the
root inode's permission if they were never set by the user. If the user
sets the permissions, then a flag is set and the permissions are saved via
the inode (for tracefs files) or an internal attribute field (for
eventfs).

But if a remount happens that specify the permissions, all the files that
were not changed by the user gets updated, but the ones that were are not.
If the user were to remount the file system with a given permission, then
all files and directories within that file system should be updated.

This can cause security issues if a file's permission was updated but the
admin forgot about it. They could incorrectly think that remounting with
permissions set would update all files, but miss some.

For example:

 # cd /sys/kernel/tracing
 # chgrp 1002 current_tracer
 # ls -l
[..]
 -rw-r-----  1 root root 0 May  1 21:25 buffer_size_kb
 -rw-r-----  1 root root 0 May  1 21:25 buffer_subbuf_size_kb
 -r--r-----  1 root root 0 May  1 21:25 buffer_total_size_kb
 -rw-r-----  1 root lkp  0 May  1 21:25 current_tracer
 -rw-r-----  1 root root 0 May  1 21:25 dynamic_events
 -r--r-----  1 root root 0 May  1 21:25 dyn_ftrace_total_info
 -r--r-----  1 root root 0 May  1 21:25 enabled_functions

Where current_tracer now has group "lkp".

 # mount -o remount,gid=1001 .
 # ls -l
 -rw-r-----  1 root tracing 0 May  1 21:25 buffer_size_kb
 -rw-r-----  1 root tracing 0 May  1 21:25 buffer_subbuf_size_kb
 -r--r-----  1 root tracing 0 May  1 21:25 buffer_total_size_kb
 -rw-r-----  1 root lkp     0 May  1 21:25 current_tracer
 -rw-r-----  1 root tracing 0 May  1 21:25 dynamic_events
 -r--r-----  1 root tracing 0 May  1 21:25 dyn_ftrace_total_info
 -r--r-----  1 root tracing 0 May  1 21:25 enabled_functions

Everything changed but the "current_tracer".

Add a new link list that keeps track of all the tracefs_inodes which has
the permission flags that tell if the file/dir should use the root inode's
permission or not. Then on remount, clear all the flags so that the
default behavior of using the root inode's permission is done for all
files and directories.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36963 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.6.18 with commit 628adb842bd5 and fixed in 6.6.31 with commit 5f91fc82794d
	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 8186fff7ab64 and fixed in 6.8.10 with commit 414fb0862814
	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 8186fff7ab64 and fixed in 6.9 with commit baa23a8d4360
	Issue introduced in 6.7.4 with commit 9c2ac5e0ea78

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36963
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/tracefs/event_inode.c
	fs/tracefs/inode.c
	fs/tracefs/internal.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5f91fc82794d4a6e41cdcd02d00baa377d94ca78
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/414fb08628143203d29ccd0264b5a83fb9523c03
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/baa23a8d4360d981a49913841a726edede5cdd54