Subject: CVE-2024-36961: thermal/debugfs: Fix two locking issues with thermal zone debug

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

thermal/debugfs: Fix two locking issues with thermal zone debug

With the current thermal zone locking arrangement in the debugfs code,
user space can open the "mitigations" file for a thermal zone before
the zone's debugfs pointer is set which will result in a NULL pointer
dereference in tze_seq_start().

Moreover, thermal_debug_tz_remove() is not called under the thermal
zone lock, so it can run in parallel with the other functions accessing
the thermal zone's struct thermal_debugfs object.  Then, it may clear
tz->debugfs after one of those functions has checked it and the
struct thermal_debugfs object may be freed prematurely.

To address the first problem, pass a pointer to the thermal zone's
struct thermal_debugfs object to debugfs_create_file() in
thermal_debug_tz_add() and make tze_seq_start(), tze_seq_next(),
tze_seq_stop(), and tze_seq_show() retrieve it from s->private
instead of a pointer to the thermal zone object.  This will ensure
that tz_debugfs will be valid across the "mitigations" file accesses
until thermal_debugfs_remove_id() called by thermal_debug_tz_remove()
removes that file.

To address the second problem, use tz->lock in thermal_debug_tz_remove()
around the tz->debugfs value check (in case the same thermal zone is
removed at the same time in two different threads) and its reset to NULL.

Cc :6.8+ <[email-masked]> # 6.8+

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36961 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 7ef01f228c9f and fixed in 6.8.10 with commit 6c57bdd05054
	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 7ef01f228c9f and fixed in 6.9 with commit c7f7c3727178

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36961
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/thermal/thermal_debugfs.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6c57bdd0505422d5ccd2df541d993aec978c842e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c7f7c37271787a7f77d7eedc132b0b419a76b4c8