Subject: CVE-2024-36958: NFSD: Fix nfsd4_encode_fattr4() crasher

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

NFSD: Fix nfsd4_encode_fattr4() crasher

Ensure that args.acl is initialized early. It is used in an
unconditional call to kfree() on the way out of
nfsd4_encode_fattr4().

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36958 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.7 with commit 83ab8678ad0c and fixed in 6.8.10 with commit 6a7b07689af6
	Issue introduced in 6.7 with commit 83ab8678ad0c and fixed in 6.9 with commit 18180a4550d0

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36958
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/nfsd/nfs4xdr.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6a7b07689af6e4e023404bf69b1230f43b2a15bc
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/18180a4550d08be4eb0387fe83f02f703f92d4e7