Subject: CVE-2024-36948: drm/xe/xe_migrate: Cast to output precision before multiplying operands

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

drm/xe/xe_migrate: Cast to output precision before multiplying operands

Addressing potential overflow in result of  multiplication of two lower
precision (u32) operands before widening it to higher precision
(u64).

-v2
Fix commit message and description. (Rodrigo)

(cherry picked from commit 34820967ae7b45411f8f4f737c2d63b0c608e0d7)

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36948 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.8.10 with commit e23a904dfeb5
	Fixed in 6.9 with commit 9cb46b31f3d0

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36948
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/gpu/drm/xe/xe_migrate.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e23a904dfeb5a9e3d4ec527a365e962478cccf05
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9cb46b31f3d08ed3fce86349e8c12f96d7c88717