Subject: CVE-2024-36938: bpf, skmsg: Fix NULL pointer dereference in sk_psock_skb_ingress_enqueue

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

bpf, skmsg: Fix NULL pointer dereference in sk_psock_skb_ingress_enqueue

Fix NULL pointer data-races in sk_psock_skb_ingress_enqueue() which
syzbot reported [1].

[1]
BUG: KCSAN: data-race in sk_psock_drop / sk_psock_skb_ingress_enqueue

write to 0xffff88814b3278b8 of 8 bytes by task 10724 on cpu 1:
 sk_psock_stop_verdict net/core/skmsg.c:1257 [inline]
 sk_psock_drop+0x13e/0x1f0 net/core/skmsg.c:843
 sk_psock_put include/linux/skmsg.h:459 [inline]
 sock_map_close+0x1a7/0x260 net/core/sock_map.c:1648
 unix_release+0x4b/0x80 net/unix/af_unix.c:1048
 __sock_release net/socket.c:659 [inline]
 sock_close+0x68/0x150 net/socket.c:1421
 __fput+0x2c1/0x660 fs/file_table.c:422
 __fput_sync+0x44/0x60 fs/file_table.c:507
 __do_sys_close fs/open.c:1556 [inline]
 __se_sys_close+0x101/0x1b0 fs/open.c:1541
 __x64_sys_close+0x1f/0x30 fs/open.c:1541
 do_syscall_64+0xd3/0x1d0
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6d/0x75

read to 0xffff88814b3278b8 of 8 bytes by task 10713 on cpu 0:
 sk_psock_data_ready include/linux/skmsg.h:464 [inline]
 sk_psock_skb_ingress_enqueue+0x32d/0x390 net/core/skmsg.c:555
 sk_psock_skb_ingress_self+0x185/0x1e0 net/core/skmsg.c:606
 sk_psock_verdict_apply net/core/skmsg.c:1008 [inline]
 sk_psock_verdict_recv+0x3e4/0x4a0 net/core/skmsg.c:1202
 unix_read_skb net/unix/af_unix.c:2546 [inline]
 unix_stream_read_skb+0x9e/0xf0 net/unix/af_unix.c:2682
 sk_psock_verdict_data_ready+0x77/0x220 net/core/skmsg.c:1223
 unix_stream_sendmsg+0x527/0x860 net/unix/af_unix.c:2339
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:730 [inline]
 __sock_sendmsg+0x140/0x180 net/socket.c:745
 ____sys_sendmsg+0x312/0x410 net/socket.c:2584
 ___sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2638 [inline]
 __sys_sendmsg+0x1e9/0x280 net/socket.c:2667
 __do_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2676 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2674 [inline]
 __x64_sys_sendmsg+0x46/0x50 net/socket.c:2674
 do_syscall_64+0xd3/0x1d0
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6d/0x75

value changed: 0xffffffff83d7feb0 -> 0x0000000000000000

Reported by Kernel Concurrency Sanitizer on:
CPU: 0 PID: 10713 Comm: syz-executor.4 Tainted: G        W          6.8.0-syzkaller-08951-gfe46a7dd189e #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 02/29/2024

Prior to this, commit 4cd12c6065df ("bpf, sockmap: Fix NULL pointer
dereference in sk_psock_verdict_data_ready()") fixed one NULL pointer
similarly due to no protection of saved_data_ready. Here is another
different caller causing the same issue because of the same reason. So
we should protect it with sk_callback_lock read lock because the writer
side in the sk_psock_drop() uses "write_lock_bh(&sk->sk_callback_lock);".

To avoid errors that could happen in future, I move those two pairs of
lock into the sk_psock_data_ready(), which is suggested by John Fastabend.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36938 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.20 with commit 604326b41a6f and fixed in 5.10.223 with commit c0809c128dad
	Issue introduced in 4.20 with commit 604326b41a6f and fixed in 5.15.159 with commit 5965bc7535fb
	Issue introduced in 4.20 with commit 604326b41a6f and fixed in 6.1.91 with commit 39dc9e144238
	Issue introduced in 4.20 with commit 604326b41a6f and fixed in 6.6.31 with commit b397a0ab8582
	Issue introduced in 4.20 with commit 604326b41a6f and fixed in 6.8.10 with commit 772d5729b5ff
	Issue introduced in 4.20 with commit 604326b41a6f and fixed in 6.9 with commit 6648e613226e

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36938
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	include/linux/skmsg.h
	net/core/skmsg.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c0809c128dad4c3413818384eb06a341633db973
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5965bc7535fb87510b724e5465ccc1a1cf00916d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/39dc9e1442385d6e9be0b6491ee488dddd55ae27
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b397a0ab8582c533ec0c6b732392f141fc364f87
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/772d5729b5ff0df0d37b32db600ce635b2172f80
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6648e613226e18897231ab5e42ffc29e63fa3365