Subject: CVE-2024-36935: ice: ensure the copied buf is NUL terminated

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ice: ensure the copied buf is NUL terminated

Currently, we allocate a count-sized kernel buffer and copy count bytes
from userspace to that buffer. Later, we use sscanf on this buffer but we
don't ensure that the string is terminated inside the buffer, this can lead
to OOB read when using sscanf. Fix this issue by using memdup_user_nul
instead of memdup_user.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36935 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 96a9a9341cda and fixed in 6.8.10 with commit 5ff4de981983
	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 96a9a9341cda and fixed in 6.9 with commit 666854ea9cad

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36935
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_debugfs.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5ff4de981983ed84f29b5d92b6550ec054e12a92
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/666854ea9cad844f75a068f32812a2d78004914a