Subject: CVE-2024-36927: ipv4: Fix uninit-value access in __ip_make_skb()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ipv4: Fix uninit-value access in __ip_make_skb()

KMSAN reported uninit-value access in __ip_make_skb() [1].  __ip_make_skb()
tests HDRINCL to know if the skb has icmphdr. However, HDRINCL can cause a
race condition. If calling setsockopt(2) with IP_HDRINCL changes HDRINCL
while __ip_make_skb() is running, the function will access icmphdr in the
skb even if it is not included. This causes the issue reported by KMSAN.

Check FLOWI_FLAG_KNOWN_NH on fl4->flowi4_flags instead of testing HDRINCL
on the socket.

Also, fl4->fl4_icmp_type and fl4->fl4_icmp_code are not initialized. These
are union in struct flowi4 and are implicitly initialized by
flowi4_init_output(), but we should not rely on specific union layout.

Initialize these explicitly in raw_sendmsg().

[1]
BUG: KMSAN: uninit-value in __ip_make_skb+0x2b74/0x2d20 net/ipv4/ip_output.c:1481
 __ip_make_skb+0x2b74/0x2d20 net/ipv4/ip_output.c:1481
 ip_finish_skb include/net/ip.h:243 [inline]
 ip_push_pending_frames+0x4c/0x5c0 net/ipv4/ip_output.c:1508
 raw_sendmsg+0x2381/0x2690 net/ipv4/raw.c:654
 inet_sendmsg+0x27b/0x2a0 net/ipv4/af_inet.c:851
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:730 [inline]
 __sock_sendmsg+0x274/0x3c0 net/socket.c:745
 __sys_sendto+0x62c/0x7b0 net/socket.c:2191
 __do_sys_sendto net/socket.c:2203 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendto net/socket.c:2199 [inline]
 __x64_sys_sendto+0x130/0x200 net/socket.c:2199
 do_syscall_64+0xd8/0x1f0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6d/0x75

Uninit was created at:
 slab_post_alloc_hook mm/slub.c:3804 [inline]
 slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3845 [inline]
 kmem_cache_alloc_node+0x5f6/0xc50 mm/slub.c:3888
 kmalloc_reserve+0x13c/0x4a0 net/core/skbuff.c:577
 __alloc_skb+0x35a/0x7c0 net/core/skbuff.c:668
 alloc_skb include/linux/skbuff.h:1318 [inline]
 __ip_append_data+0x49ab/0x68c0 net/ipv4/ip_output.c:1128
 ip_append_data+0x1e7/0x260 net/ipv4/ip_output.c:1365
 raw_sendmsg+0x22b1/0x2690 net/ipv4/raw.c:648
 inet_sendmsg+0x27b/0x2a0 net/ipv4/af_inet.c:851
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:730 [inline]
 __sock_sendmsg+0x274/0x3c0 net/socket.c:745
 __sys_sendto+0x62c/0x7b0 net/socket.c:2191
 __do_sys_sendto net/socket.c:2203 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendto net/socket.c:2199 [inline]
 __x64_sys_sendto+0x130/0x200 net/socket.c:2199
 do_syscall_64+0xd8/0x1f0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6d/0x75

CPU: 1 PID: 15709 Comm: syz-executor.7 Not tainted 6.8.0-11567-gb3603fcb79b1 #25
Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS 1.16.3-1.fc39 04/01/2014

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36927 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.4 with commit 99e5acae193e and fixed in 6.6.31 with commit 5db08343ddb1
	Issue introduced in 6.4 with commit 99e5acae193e and fixed in 6.8.10 with commit f5c603ad4e6f
	Issue introduced in 6.4 with commit 99e5acae193e and fixed in 6.9 with commit fc1092f51567
	Issue introduced in 4.14.315 with commit dc4e3bb07101
	Issue introduced in 4.19.283 with commit 022ea4374c31
	Issue introduced in 5.4.243 with commit 27c468ec1af1
	Issue introduced in 5.10.180 with commit 566785731c6d
	Issue introduced in 5.15.111 with commit a54ec573d9b8
	Issue introduced in 6.1.28 with commit fc60067260c2
	Issue introduced in 6.2.15 with commit 32a5a13d556e
	Issue introduced in 6.3.2 with commit 9e3c96aed8fe

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36927
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/ipv4/ip_output.c
	net/ipv4/raw.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5db08343ddb1b239320612036c398e4e1bb52818
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f5c603ad4e6fcf42f84053e882ebe20184bb309e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fc1092f51567277509563800a3c56732070b6aa4