Subject: CVE-2024-36887: e1000e: change usleep_range to udelay in PHY mdic access

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

e1000e: change usleep_range to udelay in PHY mdic access

This is a partial revert of commit 6dbdd4de0362 ("e1000e: Workaround
for sporadic MDI error on Meteor Lake systems"). The referenced commit
used usleep_range inside the PHY access routines, which are sometimes
called from an atomic context. This can lead to a kernel panic in some
scenarios, such as cable disconnection and reconnection on vPro systems.

Solve this by changing the usleep_range calls back to udelay.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36887 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.6.26 with commit 1d16cd91cd31 and fixed in 6.6.31 with commit f8a139656c95
	Issue introduced in 6.8.5 with commit 0a4e3c2d976a and fixed in 6.8.10 with commit 950d5226cd6b

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36887
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/phy.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f8a139656c95db893a543159873c57a470d7376d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/950d5226cd6bb83ba720961a8d4d5cf79e6afd57
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/387f295cb2150ed164905b648d76dfcbd3621778