Subject: CVE-2024-36478: null_blk: fix null-ptr-dereference while configuring 'power' and 'submit_queues'

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

null_blk: fix null-ptr-dereference while configuring 'power' and 'submit_queues'

Writing 'power' and 'submit_queues' concurrently will trigger kernel
panic:

Test script:

modprobe null_blk nr_devices=0
mkdir -p /sys/kernel/config/nullb/nullb0
while true; do echo 1 > submit_queues; echo 4 > submit_queues; done &
while true; do echo 1 > power; echo 0 > power; done

Test result:

BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference, address: 0000000000000148
Oops: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
RIP: 0010:__lock_acquire+0x41d/0x28f0
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 lock_acquire+0x121/0x450
 down_write+0x5f/0x1d0
 simple_recursive_removal+0x12f/0x5c0
 blk_mq_debugfs_unregister_hctxs+0x7c/0x100
 blk_mq_update_nr_hw_queues+0x4a3/0x720
 nullb_update_nr_hw_queues+0x71/0xf0 [null_blk]
 nullb_device_submit_queues_store+0x79/0xf0 [null_blk]
 configfs_write_iter+0x119/0x1e0
 vfs_write+0x326/0x730
 ksys_write+0x74/0x150

This is because del_gendisk() can concurrent with
blk_mq_update_nr_hw_queues():

nullb_device_power_store	nullb_apply_submit_queues
 null_del_dev
 del_gendisk
				 nullb_update_nr_hw_queues
				  if (!dev->nullb)
				  // still set while gendisk is deleted
				   return 0
				  blk_mq_update_nr_hw_queues
 dev->nullb = NULL

Fix this problem by resuing the global mutex to protect
nullb_device_power_store() and nullb_update_nr_hw_queues() from configfs.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36478 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.5 with commit 45919fbfe1c4 and fixed in 6.6.55 with commit aaadb755f2d6
	Issue introduced in 5.5 with commit 45919fbfe1c4 and fixed in 6.9.4 with commit 5d0495473ee4
	Issue introduced in 5.5 with commit 45919fbfe1c4 and fixed in 6.10 with commit a2db328b0839

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36478
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/block/null_blk/main.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/aaadb755f2d684f715a6eb85cb7243aa0c67dfa9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5d0495473ee4c1d041b5a917f10446a22c047f47
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a2db328b0839312c169eb42746ec46fc1ab53ed2