Subject: CVE-2024-36281: net/mlx5: Use mlx5_ipsec_rx_status_destroy to correctly delete status rules

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net/mlx5: Use mlx5_ipsec_rx_status_destroy to correctly delete status rules

rx_create no longer allocates a modify_hdr instance that needs to be
cleaned up. The mlx5_modify_header_dealloc call will lead to a NULL pointer
dereference. A leak in the rules also previously occurred since there are
now two rules populated related to status.

  BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference, address: 0000000000000000
  #PF: supervisor read access in kernel mode
  #PF: error_code(0x0000) - not-present page
  PGD 109907067 P4D 109907067 PUD 116890067 PMD 0
  Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP
  CPU: 1 PID: 484 Comm: ip Not tainted 6.9.0-rc2-rrameshbabu+ #254
  Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009), BIOS Arch Linux 1.16.3-1-1 04/01/2014
  RIP: 0010:mlx5_modify_header_dealloc+0xd/0x70
  <snip>
  Call Trace:
   <TASK>
   ? show_regs+0x60/0x70
   ? __die+0x24/0x70
   ? page_fault_oops+0x15f/0x430
   ? free_to_partial_list.constprop.0+0x79/0x150
   ? do_user_addr_fault+0x2c9/0x5c0
   ? exc_page_fault+0x63/0x110
   ? asm_exc_page_fault+0x27/0x30
   ? mlx5_modify_header_dealloc+0xd/0x70
   rx_create+0x374/0x590
   rx_add_rule+0x3ad/0x500
   ? rx_add_rule+0x3ad/0x500
   ? mlx5_cmd_exec+0x2c/0x40
   ? mlx5_create_ipsec_obj+0xd6/0x200
   mlx5e_accel_ipsec_fs_add_rule+0x31/0xf0
   mlx5e_xfrm_add_state+0x426/0xc00
  <snip>

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36281 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.6.8 with commit 20af7afcd8b8 and fixed in 6.6.33 with commit b0a15cde37a8
	Issue introduced in 6.7 with commit 94af50c0a9bb and fixed in 6.9.4 with commit cc9ac559f2e2
	Issue introduced in 6.7 with commit 94af50c0a9bb and fixed in 6.10 with commit 16d66a4fa81d

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36281
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_accel/ipsec_fs.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b0a15cde37a8388e57573686f650a17208ae1212
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/cc9ac559f2e21894c21ac5b0c85fb24a5cab266c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/16d66a4fa81da07bc4ed19f4e53b87263c2f8d38