Subject: CVE-2024-36022: drm/amdgpu: Init zone device and drm client after mode-1 reset on reload

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

drm/amdgpu: Init zone device and drm client after mode-1 reset on reload

In passthrough environment, when amdgpu is reloaded after unload, mode-1
is triggered after initializing the necessary IPs, That init does not
include KFD, and KFD init waits until the reset is completed. KFD init
is called in the reset handler, but in this case, the zone device and
drm client is not initialized, causing app to create kernel panic.

v2: Removing the init KFD condition from amdgpu_amdkfd_drm_client_create.
As the previous version has the potential of creating DRM client twice.

v3: v2 patch results in SDMA engine hung as DRM open causes VM clear to SDMA
before SDMA init. Adding the condition to in drm client creation, on top of v1,
to guard against drm client creation call multiple times.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36022 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.8.6 with commit 4f8154f77519
	Fixed in 6.9 with commit f679fd6057fb

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36022
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_amdkfd.c
	drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_drv.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4f8154f775197d0021b690c2945d6a4d8094c8f6
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f679fd6057fbf5ab34aaee28d58b7f81af0cbf48