Subject: CVE-2024-36015: ppdev: Add an error check in register_device

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ppdev: Add an error check in register_device

In register_device, the return value of ida_simple_get is unchecked,
in witch ida_simple_get will use an invalid index value.

To address this issue, index should be checked after ida_simple_get. When
the index value is abnormal, a warning message should be printed, the port
should be dropped, and the value should be recorded.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36015 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.11 with commit 9a69645dde11 and fixed in 4.19.316 with commit 65cd017d43f4
	Issue introduced in 4.11 with commit 9a69645dde11 and fixed in 5.4.278 with commit b8c6b83cc3ad
	Issue introduced in 4.11 with commit 9a69645dde11 and fixed in 5.10.219 with commit d32caf51379a
	Issue introduced in 4.11 with commit 9a69645dde11 and fixed in 5.15.161 with commit b65d0410b879
	Issue introduced in 4.11 with commit 9a69645dde11 and fixed in 6.1.93 with commit df9329247dbb
	Issue introduced in 4.11 with commit 9a69645dde11 and fixed in 6.6.33 with commit ec3468221efe
	Issue introduced in 4.11 with commit 9a69645dde11 and fixed in 6.9.4 with commit 5d5b24edad11
	Issue introduced in 4.11 with commit 9a69645dde11 and fixed in 6.10 with commit fbf740aeb86a
	Issue introduced in 4.9.22 with commit 9c2b46e720d5
	Issue introduced in 4.10.7 with commit 762602796be6

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36015
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/char/ppdev.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/65cd017d43f4319a56747d38308b0a24cf57299e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b8c6b83cc3adff3ddf403c8c7063fe6d08b2b9d9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d32caf51379a4d71db03d3d4d7c22d27cdf7f68b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b65d0410b879af0295d22438a4a32012786d152a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/df9329247dbbf00f6057e002139ab3fa529ad828
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ec3468221efec6660ff656e9ebe51ced3520fc57
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5d5b24edad1107a2ffa99058f20f6aeeafeb5d39
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fbf740aeb86a4fe82ad158d26d711f2f3be79b3e