Subject: CVE-2024-36004: i40e: Do not use WQ_MEM_RECLAIM flag for workqueue

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

i40e: Do not use WQ_MEM_RECLAIM flag for workqueue

Issue reported by customer during SRIOV testing, call trace:
When both i40e and the i40iw driver are loaded, a warning
in check_flush_dependency is being triggered. This seems
to be because of the i40e driver workqueue is allocated with
the WQ_MEM_RECLAIM flag, and the i40iw one is not.

Similar error was encountered on ice too and it was fixed by
removing the flag. Do the same for i40e too.

[Feb 9 09:08] ------------[ cut here ]------------
[  +0.000004] workqueue: WQ_MEM_RECLAIM i40e:i40e_service_task [i40e] is
flushing !WQ_MEM_RECLAIM infiniband:0x0
[  +0.000060] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 937 at kernel/workqueue.c:2966
check_flush_dependency+0x10b/0x120
[  +0.000007] Modules linked in: snd_seq_dummy snd_hrtimer snd_seq
snd_timer snd_seq_device snd soundcore nls_utf8 cifs cifs_arc4
nls_ucs2_utils rdma_cm iw_cm ib_cm cifs_md4 dns_resolver netfs qrtr
rfkill sunrpc vfat fat intel_rapl_msr intel_rapl_common irdma
intel_uncore_frequency intel_uncore_frequency_common ice ipmi_ssif
isst_if_common skx_edac nfit libnvdimm x86_pkg_temp_thermal
intel_powerclamp gnss coretemp ib_uverbs rapl intel_cstate ib_core
iTCO_wdt iTCO_vendor_support acpi_ipmi mei_me ipmi_si intel_uncore
ioatdma i2c_i801 joydev pcspkr mei ipmi_devintf lpc_ich
intel_pch_thermal i2c_smbus ipmi_msghandler acpi_power_meter acpi_pad
xfs libcrc32c ast sd_mod drm_shmem_helper t10_pi drm_kms_helper sg ixgbe
drm i40e ahci crct10dif_pclmul libahci crc32_pclmul igb crc32c_intel
libata ghash_clmulni_intel i2c_algo_bit mdio dca wmi dm_mirror
dm_region_hash dm_log dm_mod fuse
[  +0.000050] CPU: 0 PID: 937 Comm: kworker/0:3 Kdump: loaded Not
tainted 6.8.0-rc2-Feb-net_dev-Qiueue-00279-gbd43c5687e05 #1
[  +0.000003] Hardware name: Intel Corporation S2600BPB/S2600BPB, BIOS
SE5C620.86B.02.01.0013.121520200651 12/15/2020
[  +0.000001] Workqueue: i40e i40e_service_task [i40e]
[  +0.000024] RIP: 0010:check_flush_dependency+0x10b/0x120
[  +0.000003] Code: ff 49 8b 54 24 18 48 8d 8b b0 00 00 00 49 89 e8 48
81 c6 b0 00 00 00 48 c7 c7 b0 97 fa 9f c6 05 8a cc 1f 02 01 e8 35 b3 fd
ff <0f> 0b e9 10 ff ff ff 80 3d 78 cc 1f 02 00 75 94 e9 46 ff ff ff 90
[  +0.000002] RSP: 0018:ffffbd294976bcf8 EFLAGS: 00010282
[  +0.000002] RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffff94d4c483c000 RCX:
0000000000000027
[  +0.000001] RDX: ffff94d47f620bc8 RSI: 0000000000000001 RDI:
ffff94d47f620bc0
[  +0.000001] RBP: 0000000000000000 R08: 0000000000000000 R09:
00000000ffff7fff
[  +0.000001] R10: ffffbd294976bb98 R11: ffffffffa0be65e8 R12:
ffff94c5451ea180
[  +0.000001] R13: ffff94c5ab5e8000 R14: ffff94c5c20b6e05 R15:
ffff94c5f1330ab0
[  +0.000001] FS:  0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffff94d47f600000(0000)
knlGS:0000000000000000
[  +0.000002] CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
[  +0.000001] CR2: 00007f9e6f1fca70 CR3: 0000000038e20004 CR4:
00000000007706f0
[  +0.000000] DR0: 0000000000000000 DR1: 0000000000000000 DR2:
0000000000000000
[  +0.000001] DR3: 0000000000000000 DR6: 00000000fffe0ff0 DR7:
0000000000000400
[  +0.000001] PKRU: 55555554
[  +0.000001] Call Trace:
[  +0.000001]  <TASK>
[  +0.000002]  ? __warn+0x80/0x130
[  +0.000003]  ? check_flush_dependency+0x10b/0x120
[  +0.000002]  ? report_bug+0x195/0x1a0
[  +0.000005]  ? handle_bug+0x3c/0x70
[  +0.000003]  ? exc_invalid_op+0x14/0x70
[  +0.000002]  ? asm_exc_invalid_op+0x16/0x20
[  +0.000006]  ? check_flush_dependency+0x10b/0x120
[  +0.000002]  ? check_flush_dependency+0x10b/0x120
[  +0.000002]  __flush_workqueue+0x126/0x3f0
[  +0.000015]  ib_cache_cleanup_one+0x1c/0xe0 [ib_core]
[  +0.000056]  __ib_unregister_device+0x6a/0xb0 [ib_core]
[  +0.000023]  ib_unregister_device_and_put+0x34/0x50 [ib_core]
[  +0.000020]  i40iw_close+0x4b/0x90 [irdma]
[  +0.000022]  i40e_notify_client_of_netdev_close+0x54/0xc0 [i40e]
[  +0.000035]  i40e_service_task+0x126/0x190 [i40e]
[  +0.000024]  process_one_work+0x174/0x340
[  +0.000003]  worker_thread+0x27e/0x390
[  +0.000001]  ? __pfx_worker_thread+0x10/0x10
[  +0.000002]  kthread+0xdf/0x110
[  +0.000002]  ? __pfx_kthread+0x10/0x10
[  +0.000002]  ret_from_fork+0x2d/0x50
[  +0.000003]  ? __pfx_kthread+0x10/0x10
[  +0.000001]  ret_from_fork_asm+0x1b/0x30
[  +0.000004]  </TASK>
[  +0.000001] ---[ end trace 0000000000000000 ]---

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-36004 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.14 with commit 4d5957cbdecd and fixed in 4.19.313 with commit 09b54d29f051
	Issue introduced in 4.14 with commit 4d5957cbdecd and fixed in 5.4.275 with commit 546d0fe9d76e
	Issue introduced in 4.14 with commit 4d5957cbdecd and fixed in 5.10.216 with commit fbbb2404340d
	Issue introduced in 4.14 with commit 4d5957cbdecd and fixed in 5.15.158 with commit ff7431f898dd
	Issue introduced in 4.14 with commit 4d5957cbdecd and fixed in 6.1.90 with commit 152ed360cf2d
	Issue introduced in 4.14 with commit 4d5957cbdecd and fixed in 6.6.30 with commit 8d6105f63788
	Issue introduced in 4.14 with commit 4d5957cbdecd and fixed in 6.8.9 with commit 1594dac8b1ed
	Issue introduced in 4.14 with commit 4d5957cbdecd and fixed in 6.9 with commit 2cc7d150550c

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-36004
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/intel/i40e/i40e_main.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/09b54d29f05129b092f7c793a70b689ffb3c7b2c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/546d0fe9d76e8229a67369f9cb61e961d99038bd
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fbbb2404340dd6178e281bd427c271f7d5ec1d22
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ff7431f898dd00892a545b7d0ce7adf5b926944f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/152ed360cf2d273f88fc99a518b7eb868aae2939
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8d6105f637883c8c09825e962308c06e977de4f0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1594dac8b1ed78f9e75c263327e198a2e5e25b0e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2cc7d150550cc981aceedf008f5459193282425c