Subject: CVE-2024-35998: smb3: fix lock ordering potential deadlock in cifs_sync_mid_result

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

smb3: fix lock ordering potential deadlock in cifs_sync_mid_result

Coverity spotted that the cifs_sync_mid_result function could deadlock

"Thread deadlock (ORDER_REVERSAL) lock_order: Calling spin_lock acquires
lock TCP_Server_Info.srv_lock while holding lock TCP_Server_Info.mid_lock"

Addresses-Coverity: 1590401 ("Thread deadlock (ORDER_REVERSAL)")

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-35998 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.1.90 with commit c7a4bca289e5
	Fixed in 6.6.30 with commit 699f8958dece
	Fixed in 6.8.9 with commit 8248224ab5b8
	Fixed in 6.9 with commit 8861fd518047

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-35998
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/smb/client/transport.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c7a4bca289e50bb4b2650f845c41bb3e453f4c66
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/699f8958dece132709c0bff6a9700999a2a63b75
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8248224ab5b8ca7559b671917c224296a4d671fc
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8861fd5180476f45f9e8853db154600469a0284f