Subject: CVE-2024-35976: xsk: validate user input for XDP_{UMEM|COMPLETION}_FILL_RING

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

xsk: validate user input for XDP_{UMEM|COMPLETION}_FILL_RING

syzbot reported an illegal copy in xsk_setsockopt() [1]

Make sure to validate setsockopt() @optlen parameter.

[1]

 BUG: KASAN: slab-out-of-bounds in copy_from_sockptr_offset include/linux/sockptr.h:49 [inline]
 BUG: KASAN: slab-out-of-bounds in copy_from_sockptr include/linux/sockptr.h:55 [inline]
 BUG: KASAN: slab-out-of-bounds in xsk_setsockopt+0x909/0xa40 net/xdp/xsk.c:1420
Read of size 4 at addr ffff888028c6cde3 by task syz-executor.0/7549

CPU: 0 PID: 7549 Comm: syz-executor.0 Not tainted 6.8.0-syzkaller-08951-gfe46a7dd189e #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 03/27/2024
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
  __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:88 [inline]
  dump_stack_lvl+0x241/0x360 lib/dump_stack.c:114
  print_address_description mm/kasan/report.c:377 [inline]
  print_report+0x169/0x550 mm/kasan/report.c:488
  kasan_report+0x143/0x180 mm/kasan/report.c:601
  copy_from_sockptr_offset include/linux/sockptr.h:49 [inline]
  copy_from_sockptr include/linux/sockptr.h:55 [inline]
  xsk_setsockopt+0x909/0xa40 net/xdp/xsk.c:1420
  do_sock_setsockopt+0x3af/0x720 net/socket.c:2311
  __sys_setsockopt+0x1ae/0x250 net/socket.c:2334
  __do_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2343 [inline]
  __se_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2340 [inline]
  __x64_sys_setsockopt+0xb5/0xd0 net/socket.c:2340
 do_syscall_64+0xfb/0x240
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6d/0x75
RIP: 0033:0x7fb40587de69
Code: 28 00 00 00 75 05 48 83 c4 28 c3 e8 e1 20 00 00 90 48 89 f8 48 89 f7 48 89 d6 48 89 ca 4d 89 c2 4d 89 c8 4c 8b 4c 24 08 0f 05 <48> 3d 01 f0 ff ff 73 01 c3 48 c7 c1 b0 ff ff ff f7 d8 64 89 01 48
RSP: 002b:00007fb40665a0c8 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 0000000000000036
RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 00007fb4059abf80 RCX: 00007fb40587de69
RDX: 0000000000000005 RSI: 000000000000011b RDI: 0000000000000006
RBP: 00007fb4058ca47a R08: 0000000000000002 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: 0000000020001980 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000000000000000
R13: 000000000000000b R14: 00007fb4059abf80 R15: 00007fff57ee4d08
 </TASK>

Allocated by task 7549:
  kasan_save_stack mm/kasan/common.c:47 [inline]
  kasan_save_track+0x3f/0x80 mm/kasan/common.c:68
  poison_kmalloc_redzone mm/kasan/common.c:370 [inline]
  __kasan_kmalloc+0x98/0xb0 mm/kasan/common.c:387
  kasan_kmalloc include/linux/kasan.h:211 [inline]
  __do_kmalloc_node mm/slub.c:3966 [inline]
  __kmalloc+0x233/0x4a0 mm/slub.c:3979
  kmalloc include/linux/slab.h:632 [inline]
  __cgroup_bpf_run_filter_setsockopt+0xd2f/0x1040 kernel/bpf/cgroup.c:1869
  do_sock_setsockopt+0x6b4/0x720 net/socket.c:2293
  __sys_setsockopt+0x1ae/0x250 net/socket.c:2334
  __do_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2343 [inline]
  __se_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2340 [inline]
  __x64_sys_setsockopt+0xb5/0xd0 net/socket.c:2340
 do_syscall_64+0xfb/0x240
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6d/0x75

The buggy address belongs to the object at ffff888028c6cde0
 which belongs to the cache kmalloc-8 of size 8
The buggy address is located 1 bytes to the right of
 allocated 2-byte region [ffff888028c6cde0, ffff888028c6cde2)

The buggy address belongs to the physical page:
page:ffffea0000a31b00 refcount:1 mapcount:0 mapping:0000000000000000 index:0xffff888028c6c9c0 pfn:0x28c6c
anon flags: 0xfff00000000800(slab|node=0|zone=1|lastcpupid=0x7ff)
page_type: 0xffffffff()
raw: 00fff00000000800 ffff888014c41280 0000000000000000 dead000000000001
raw: ffff888028c6c9c0 0000000080800057 00000001ffffffff 0000000000000000
page dumped because: kasan: bad access detected
page_owner tracks the page as allocated
page last allocated via order 0, migratetype Unmovable, gfp_mask 0x112cc0(GFP_USER|__GFP_NOWARN|__GFP_NORETRY), pid 6648, tgid 6644 (syz-executor.0), ts 133906047828, free_ts 133859922223
  set_page_owner include/linux/page_owner.h:31 [inline]
  post_alloc_hook+0x1ea/0x210 mm/page_alloc.c:1533
  prep_new_page mm/page_alloc.c:1540 [inline]
  get_page_from_freelist+0x33ea/0x3580 mm/page_alloc.c:3311
  __alloc_pages+0x256/0x680 mm/page_alloc.c:4569
  __alloc_pages_node include/linux/gfp.h:238 [inline]
  alloc_pages_node include/linux/gfp.h:261 [inline]
  alloc_slab_page+0x5f/0x160 mm/slub.c:2175
  allocate_slab mm/slub.c:2338 [inline]
  new_slab+0x84/0x2f0 mm/slub.c:2391
  ___slab_alloc+0xc73/0x1260 mm/slub.c:3525
  __slab_alloc mm/slub.c:3610 [inline]
  __slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3663 [inline]
  slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3835 [inline]
  __do_kmalloc_node mm/slub.c:3965 [inline]
  __kmalloc_node+0x2db/0x4e0 mm/slub.c:3973
  kmalloc_node include/linux/slab.h:648 [inline]
  __vmalloc_area_node mm/vmalloc.c:3197 [inline]
  __vmalloc_node_range+0x5f9/0x14a0 mm/vmalloc.c:3392
  __vmalloc_node mm/vmalloc.c:3457 [inline]
  vzalloc+0x79/0x90 mm/vmalloc.c:3530
  bpf_check+0x260/0x19010 kernel/bpf/verifier.c:21162
  bpf_prog_load+0x1667/0x20f0 kernel/bpf/syscall.c:2895
  __sys_bpf+0x4ee/0x810 kernel/bpf/syscall.c:5631
  __do_sys_bpf kernel/bpf/syscall.c:5738 [inline]
  __se_sys_bpf kernel/bpf/syscall.c:5736 [inline]
  __x64_sys_bpf+0x7c/0x90 kernel/bpf/syscall.c:5736
 do_syscall_64+0xfb/0x240
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6d/0x75
page last free pid 6650 tgid 6647 stack trace:
  reset_page_owner include/linux/page_owner.h:24 [inline]
  free_pages_prepare mm/page_alloc.c:1140 [inline]
  free_unref_page_prepare+0x95d/0xa80 mm/page_alloc.c:2346
  free_unref_page_list+0x5a3/0x850 mm/page_alloc.c:2532
  release_pages+0x2117/0x2400 mm/swap.c:1042
  tlb_batch_pages_flush mm/mmu_gather.c:98 [inline]
  tlb_flush_mmu_free mm/mmu_gather.c:293 [inline]
  tlb_flush_mmu+0x34d/0x4e0 mm/mmu_gather.c:300
  tlb_finish_mmu+0xd4/0x200 mm/mmu_gather.c:392
  exit_mmap+0x4b6/0xd40 mm/mmap.c:3300
  __mmput+0x115/0x3c0 kernel/fork.c:1345
  exit_mm+0x220/0x310 kernel/exit.c:569
  do_exit+0x99e/0x27e0 kernel/exit.c:865
  do_group_exit+0x207/0x2c0 kernel/exit.c:1027
  get_signal+0x176e/0x1850 kernel/signal.c:2907
  arch_do_signal_or_restart+0x96/0x860 arch/x86/kernel/signal.c:310
  exit_to_user_mode_loop kernel/entry/common.c:105 [inline]
  exit_to_user_mode_prepare include/linux/entry-common.h:328 [inline]
  __syscall_exit_to_user_mode_work kernel/entry/common.c:201 [inline]
  syscall_exit_to_user_mode+0xc9/0x360 kernel/entry/common.c:212
  do_syscall_64+0x10a/0x240 arch/x86/entry/common.c:89
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6d/0x75

Memory state around the buggy address:
 ffff888028c6cc80: fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc
 ffff888028c6cd00: fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc 00 fc fc fc 06 fc fc fc
>ffff888028c6cd80: fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc 02 fc fc fc
                                                       ^
 ffff888028c6ce00: fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc
 ffff888028c6ce80: fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-35976 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.18 with commit 423f38329d26 and fixed in 4.19.317 with commit beb992668305
	Issue introduced in 4.18 with commit 423f38329d26 and fixed in 5.4.278 with commit 0b45c25d60e3
	Issue introduced in 4.18 with commit 423f38329d26 and fixed in 5.10.216 with commit a82984b3c6a7
	Issue introduced in 4.18 with commit 423f38329d26 and fixed in 5.15.156 with commit f0a068de65d5
	Issue introduced in 4.18 with commit 423f38329d26 and fixed in 6.1.87 with commit 2a523f14a3f5
	Issue introduced in 4.18 with commit 423f38329d26 and fixed in 6.6.28 with commit b143e19dc28c
	Issue introduced in 4.18 with commit 423f38329d26 and fixed in 6.8.7 with commit 2eb979fbb247
	Issue introduced in 4.18 with commit 423f38329d26 and fixed in 6.9 with commit 237f3cf13b20

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-35976
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/xdp/xsk.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/beb99266830520e15fbc6ca8cc5a5240d76851fd
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0b45c25d60e38f5c2cb6823f886773a34323306d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a82984b3c6a7e8c7937dba6e857ddf829d149417
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f0a068de65d5b7358e9aff792716afa9333f3922
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2a523f14a3f53b46ff0e1fafd215b0bc5f6783aa
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b143e19dc28c3211f050f7848d87d9b0a170e10c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2eb979fbb2479bcd7e049f2f9978b6590dd8a0e6
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/237f3cf13b20db183d3706d997eedc3c49eacd44