Subject: CVE-2024-35971: net: ks8851: Handle softirqs at the end of IRQ thread to fix hang

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: ks8851: Handle softirqs at the end of IRQ thread to fix hang

The ks8851_irq() thread may call ks8851_rx_pkts() in case there are
any packets in the MAC FIFO, which calls netif_rx(). This netif_rx()
implementation is guarded by local_bh_disable() and local_bh_enable().
The local_bh_enable() may call do_softirq() to run softirqs in case
any are pending. One of the softirqs is net_rx_action, which ultimately
reaches the driver .start_xmit callback. If that happens, the system
hangs. The entire call chain is below:

ks8851_start_xmit_par from netdev_start_xmit
netdev_start_xmit from dev_hard_start_xmit
dev_hard_start_xmit from sch_direct_xmit
sch_direct_xmit from __dev_queue_xmit
__dev_queue_xmit from __neigh_update
__neigh_update from neigh_update
neigh_update from arp_process.constprop.0
arp_process.constprop.0 from __netif_receive_skb_one_core
__netif_receive_skb_one_core from process_backlog
process_backlog from __napi_poll.constprop.0
__napi_poll.constprop.0 from net_rx_action
net_rx_action from __do_softirq
__do_softirq from call_with_stack
call_with_stack from do_softirq
do_softirq from __local_bh_enable_ip
__local_bh_enable_ip from netif_rx
netif_rx from ks8851_irq
ks8851_irq from irq_thread_fn
irq_thread_fn from irq_thread
irq_thread from kthread
kthread from ret_from_fork

The hang happens because ks8851_irq() first locks a spinlock in
ks8851_par.c ks8851_lock_par() spin_lock_irqsave(&ksp->lock, ...)
and with that spinlock locked, calls netif_rx(). Once the execution
reaches ks8851_start_xmit_par(), it calls ks8851_lock_par() again
which attempts to claim the already locked spinlock again, and the
hang happens.

Move the do_softirq() call outside of the spinlock protected section
of ks8851_irq() by disabling BHs around the entire spinlock protected
section of ks8851_irq() handler. Place local_bh_enable() outside of
the spinlock protected section, so that it can trigger do_softirq()
without the ks8851_par.c ks8851_lock_par() spinlock being held, and
safely call ks8851_start_xmit_par() without attempting to lock the
already locked spinlock.

Since ks8851_irq() is protected by local_bh_disable()/local_bh_enable()
now, replace netif_rx() with __netif_rx() which is not duplicating the
local_bh_disable()/local_bh_enable() calls.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-35971 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.8 with commit 797047f875b5 and fixed in 6.1.87 with commit 492337a4fbd1
	Issue introduced in 5.8 with commit 797047f875b5 and fixed in 6.6.28 with commit cba376eb036c
	Issue introduced in 5.8 with commit 797047f875b5 and fixed in 6.8.7 with commit 49d5d70538b6
	Issue introduced in 5.8 with commit 797047f875b5 and fixed in 6.9 with commit be0384bf599c

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-35971
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/micrel/ks8851_common.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/492337a4fbd1421b42df684ee9b34be2a2722540
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/cba376eb036c2c20077b41d47b317d8218fe754f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/49d5d70538b6b8f2a3f8f1ac30c1f921d4a0929b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/be0384bf599cf1eb8d337517feeb732d71f75a6f