Subject: CVE-2024-35970: af_unix: Clear stale u->oob_skb.

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

af_unix: Clear stale u->oob_skb.

syzkaller started to report deadlock of unix_gc_lock after commit
4090fa373f0e ("af_unix: Replace garbage collection algorithm."), but
it just uncovers the bug that has been there since commit 314001f0bf92
("af_unix: Add OOB support").

The repro basically does the following.

  from socket import *
  from array import array

  c1, c2 = socketpair(AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM)
  c1.sendmsg([b'a'], [(SOL_SOCKET, SCM_RIGHTS, array("i", [c2.fileno()]))], MSG_OOB)
  c2.recv(1)  # blocked as no normal data in recv queue

  c2.close()  # done async and unblock recv()
  c1.close()  # done async and trigger GC

A socket sends its file descriptor to itself as OOB data and tries to
receive normal data, but finally recv() fails due to async close().

The problem here is wrong handling of OOB skb in manage_oob().  When
recvmsg() is called without MSG_OOB, manage_oob() is called to check
if the peeked skb is OOB skb.  In such a case, manage_oob() pops it
out of the receive queue but does not clear unix_sock(sk)->oob_skb.
This is wrong in terms of uAPI.

Let's say we send "hello" with MSG_OOB, and "world" without MSG_OOB.
The 'o' is handled as OOB data.  When recv() is called twice without
MSG_OOB, the OOB data should be lost.

  >>> from socket import *
  >>> c1, c2 = socketpair(AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0)
  >>> c1.send(b'hello', MSG_OOB)  # 'o' is OOB data
  5
  >>> c1.send(b'world')
  5
  >>> c2.recv(5)  # OOB data is not received
  b'hell'
  >>> c2.recv(5)  # OOB date is skipped
  b'world'
  >>> c2.recv(5, MSG_OOB)  # This should return an error
  b'o'

In the same situation, TCP actually returns -EINVAL for the last
recv().

Also, if we do not clear unix_sk(sk)->oob_skb, unix_poll() always set
EPOLLPRI even though the data has passed through by previous recv().

To avoid these issues, we must clear unix_sk(sk)->oob_skb when dequeuing
it from recv queue.

The reason why the old GC did not trigger the deadlock is because the
old GC relied on the receive queue to detect the loop.

When it is triggered, the socket with OOB data is marked as GC candidate
because file refcount == inflight count (1).  However, after traversing
all inflight sockets, the socket still has a positive inflight count (1),
thus the socket is excluded from candidates.  Then, the old GC lose the
chance to garbage-collect the socket.

With the old GC, the repro continues to create true garbage that will
never be freed nor detected by kmemleak as it's linked to the global
inflight list.  That's why we couldn't even notice the issue.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-35970 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit 314001f0bf92 and fixed in 5.15.156 with commit b4bc99d04c68
	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit 314001f0bf92 and fixed in 6.1.87 with commit 84a352b7eba1
	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit 314001f0bf92 and fixed in 6.6.28 with commit 601a89ea24d0
	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit 314001f0bf92 and fixed in 6.8.7 with commit 698a95ade1a0
	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit 314001f0bf92 and fixed in 6.9 with commit b46f4eaa4f0e

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-35970
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/unix/af_unix.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b4bc99d04c689b5652665394ae8d3e02fb754153
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/84a352b7eba1142a95441380058985ff19f25ec9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/601a89ea24d05089debfa2dc896ea9f5937ac7a6
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/698a95ade1a00e6494482046902b986dfffd1caf
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b46f4eaa4f0ec38909fb0072eea3aeddb32f954e