Subject: CVE-2024-35968: pds_core: Fix pdsc_check_pci_health function to use work thread

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

pds_core: Fix pdsc_check_pci_health function to use work thread

When the driver notices fw_status == 0xff it tries to perform a PCI
reset on itself via pci_reset_function() in the context of the driver's
health thread. However, pdsc_reset_prepare calls
pdsc_stop_health_thread(), which attempts to stop/flush the health
thread. This results in a deadlock because the stop/flush will never
complete since the driver called pci_reset_function() from the health
thread context. Fix by changing the pdsc_check_pci_health_function()
to queue a newly introduced pdsc_pci_reset_thread() on the pdsc's
work queue.

Unloading the driver in the fw_down/dead state uncovered another issue,
which can be seen in the following trace:

WARNING: CPU: 51 PID: 6914 at kernel/workqueue.c:1450 __queue_work+0x358/0x440
[...]
RIP: 0010:__queue_work+0x358/0x440
[...]
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 ? __warn+0x85/0x140
 ? __queue_work+0x358/0x440
 ? report_bug+0xfc/0x1e0
 ? handle_bug+0x3f/0x70
 ? exc_invalid_op+0x17/0x70
 ? asm_exc_invalid_op+0x1a/0x20
 ? __queue_work+0x358/0x440
 queue_work_on+0x28/0x30
 pdsc_devcmd_locked+0x96/0xe0 [pds_core]
 pdsc_devcmd_reset+0x71/0xb0 [pds_core]
 pdsc_teardown+0x51/0xe0 [pds_core]
 pdsc_remove+0x106/0x200 [pds_core]
 pci_device_remove+0x37/0xc0
 device_release_driver_internal+0xae/0x140
 driver_detach+0x48/0x90
 bus_remove_driver+0x6d/0xf0
 pci_unregister_driver+0x2e/0xa0
 pdsc_cleanup_module+0x10/0x780 [pds_core]
 __x64_sys_delete_module+0x142/0x2b0
 ? syscall_trace_enter.isra.18+0x126/0x1a0
 do_syscall_64+0x3b/0x90
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x72/0xdc
RIP: 0033:0x7fbd9d03a14b
[...]

Fix this by preventing the devcmd reset if the FW is not running.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-35968 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit d9407ff11809 and fixed in 6.8.7 with commit 38407914d482
	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit d9407ff11809 and fixed in 6.9 with commit 81665adf25d2
	Issue introduced in 6.6.16 with commit bd8740928aac
	Issue introduced in 6.7.4 with commit 46826a384406

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-35968
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/amd/pds_core/core.c
	drivers/net/ethernet/amd/pds_core/core.h
	drivers/net/ethernet/amd/pds_core/dev.c
	drivers/net/ethernet/amd/pds_core/main.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/38407914d48273d7f8ab765b9243658afe1c3ab6
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/81665adf25d28a00a986533f1d3a5df76b79cad9