Subject: CVE-2024-35949: btrfs: make sure that WRITTEN is set on all metadata blocks

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

btrfs: make sure that WRITTEN is set on all metadata blocks

We previously would call btrfs_check_leaf() if we had the check
integrity code enabled, which meant that we could only run the extended
leaf checks if we had WRITTEN set on the header flags.

This leaves a gap in our checking, because we could end up with
corruption on disk where WRITTEN isn't set on the leaf, and then the
extended leaf checks don't get run which we rely on to validate all of
the item pointers to make sure we don't access memory outside of the
extent buffer.

However, since 732fab95abe2 ("btrfs: check-integrity: remove
CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_CHECK_INTEGRITY option") we no longer call
btrfs_check_leaf() from btrfs_mark_buffer_dirty(), which means we only
ever call it on blocks that are being written out, and thus have WRITTEN
set, or that are being read in, which should have WRITTEN set.

Add checks to make sure we have WRITTEN set appropriately, and then make
sure __btrfs_check_leaf() always does the item checking.  This will
protect us from file systems that have been corrupted and no longer have
WRITTEN set on some of the blocks.

This was hit on a crafted image tweaking the WRITTEN bit and reported by
KASAN as out-of-bound access in the eb accessors. The example is a dir
item at the end of an eb.

  [2.042] BTRFS warning (device loop1): bad eb member start: ptr 0x3fff start 30572544 member offset 16410 size 2
  [2.040] general protection fault, probably for non-canonical address 0xe0009d1000000003: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP KASAN NOPTI
  [2.537] KASAN: maybe wild-memory-access in range [0x0005088000000018-0x000508800000001f]
  [2.729] CPU: 0 PID: 2587 Comm: mount Not tainted 6.8.2 #1
  [2.729] Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS 1.15.0-1 04/01/2014
  [2.621] RIP: 0010:btrfs_get_16+0x34b/0x6d0
  [2.621] RSP: 0018:ffff88810871fab8 EFLAGS: 00000206
  [2.621] RAX: 0000a11000000003 RBX: ffff888104ff8720 RCX: ffff88811b2288c0
  [2.621] RDX: dffffc0000000000 RSI: ffffffff81dd8aca RDI: ffff88810871f748
  [2.621] RBP: 000000000000401a R08: 0000000000000001 R09: ffffed10210e3ee9
  [2.621] R10: ffff88810871f74f R11: 205d323430333737 R12: 000000000000001a
  [2.621] R13: 000508800000001a R14: 1ffff110210e3f5d R15: ffffffff850011e8
  [2.621] FS:  00007f56ea275840(0000) GS:ffff88811b200000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
  [2.621] CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
  [2.621] CR2: 00007febd13b75c0 CR3: 000000010bb50000 CR4: 00000000000006f0
  [2.621] Call Trace:
  [2.621]  <TASK>
  [2.621]  ? show_regs+0x74/0x80
  [2.621]  ? die_addr+0x46/0xc0
  [2.621]  ? exc_general_protection+0x161/0x2a0
  [2.621]  ? asm_exc_general_protection+0x26/0x30
  [2.621]  ? btrfs_get_16+0x33a/0x6d0
  [2.621]  ? btrfs_get_16+0x34b/0x6d0
  [2.621]  ? btrfs_get_16+0x33a/0x6d0
  [2.621]  ? __pfx_btrfs_get_16+0x10/0x10
  [2.621]  ? __pfx_mutex_unlock+0x10/0x10
  [2.621]  btrfs_match_dir_item_name+0x101/0x1a0
  [2.621]  btrfs_lookup_dir_item+0x1f3/0x280
  [2.621]  ? __pfx_btrfs_lookup_dir_item+0x10/0x10
  [2.621]  btrfs_get_tree+0xd25/0x1910

[ copy more details from report ]

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-35949 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.8.10 with commit ef3ba8ce8cf7
	Fixed in 6.9 with commit e03418abde87

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-35949
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/btrfs/tree-checker.c
	fs/btrfs/tree-checker.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ef3ba8ce8cf7075b716aa4afcefc3034215878ee
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e03418abde871314e1a3a550f4c8afb7b89cb273