Subject: CVE-2024-35924: usb: typec: ucsi: Limit read size on v1.2

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

usb: typec: ucsi: Limit read size on v1.2

Between UCSI 1.2 and UCSI 2.0, the size of the MESSAGE_IN region was
increased from 16 to 256. In order to avoid overflowing reads for older
systems, add a mechanism to use the read UCSI version to truncate read
sizes on UCSI v1.2.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-35924 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.6.27 with commit 266f403ec475
	Fixed in 6.8.6 with commit 0defcaa09d3b
	Fixed in 6.9 with commit b3db266fb031

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-35924
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/usb/typec/ucsi/ucsi.c
	drivers/usb/typec/ucsi/ucsi.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/266f403ec47573046dee4bcebda82777ce702c40
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0defcaa09d3b21e8387829ee3a652c43fa91e13f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b3db266fb031fba88c423d4bb8983a73a3db6527