Subject: CVE-2024-35896: netfilter: validate user input for expected length

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

netfilter: validate user input for expected length

I got multiple syzbot reports showing old bugs exposed
by BPF after commit 20f2505fb436 ("bpf: Try to avoid kzalloc
in cgroup/{s,g}etsockopt")

setsockopt() @optlen argument should be taken into account
before copying data.

 BUG: KASAN: slab-out-of-bounds in copy_from_sockptr_offset include/linux/sockptr.h:49 [inline]
 BUG: KASAN: slab-out-of-bounds in copy_from_sockptr include/linux/sockptr.h:55 [inline]
 BUG: KASAN: slab-out-of-bounds in do_replace net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.c:1111 [inline]
 BUG: KASAN: slab-out-of-bounds in do_ipt_set_ctl+0x902/0x3dd0 net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.c:1627
Read of size 96 at addr ffff88802cd73da0 by task syz-executor.4/7238

CPU: 1 PID: 7238 Comm: syz-executor.4 Not tainted 6.9.0-rc2-next-20240403-syzkaller #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 03/27/2024
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
  __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:88 [inline]
  dump_stack_lvl+0x241/0x360 lib/dump_stack.c:114
  print_address_description mm/kasan/report.c:377 [inline]
  print_report+0x169/0x550 mm/kasan/report.c:488
  kasan_report+0x143/0x180 mm/kasan/report.c:601
  kasan_check_range+0x282/0x290 mm/kasan/generic.c:189
  __asan_memcpy+0x29/0x70 mm/kasan/shadow.c:105
  copy_from_sockptr_offset include/linux/sockptr.h:49 [inline]
  copy_from_sockptr include/linux/sockptr.h:55 [inline]
  do_replace net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.c:1111 [inline]
  do_ipt_set_ctl+0x902/0x3dd0 net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.c:1627
  nf_setsockopt+0x295/0x2c0 net/netfilter/nf_sockopt.c:101
  do_sock_setsockopt+0x3af/0x720 net/socket.c:2311
  __sys_setsockopt+0x1ae/0x250 net/socket.c:2334
  __do_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2343 [inline]
  __se_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2340 [inline]
  __x64_sys_setsockopt+0xb5/0xd0 net/socket.c:2340
 do_syscall_64+0xfb/0x240
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x72/0x7a
RIP: 0033:0x7fd22067dde9
Code: 28 00 00 00 75 05 48 83 c4 28 c3 e8 e1 20 00 00 90 48 89 f8 48 89 f7 48 89 d6 48 89 ca 4d 89 c2 4d 89 c8 4c 8b 4c 24 08 0f 05 <48> 3d 01 f0 ff ff 73 01 c3 48 c7 c1 b0 ff ff ff f7 d8 64 89 01 48
RSP: 002b:00007fd21f9ff0c8 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 0000000000000036
RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 00007fd2207abf80 RCX: 00007fd22067dde9
RDX: 0000000000000040 RSI: 0000000000000000 RDI: 0000000000000003
RBP: 00007fd2206ca47a R08: 0000000000000001 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: 0000000020000880 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000000000000000
R13: 000000000000000b R14: 00007fd2207abf80 R15: 00007ffd2d0170d8
 </TASK>

Allocated by task 7238:
  kasan_save_stack mm/kasan/common.c:47 [inline]
  kasan_save_track+0x3f/0x80 mm/kasan/common.c:68
  poison_kmalloc_redzone mm/kasan/common.c:370 [inline]
  __kasan_kmalloc+0x98/0xb0 mm/kasan/common.c:387
  kasan_kmalloc include/linux/kasan.h:211 [inline]
  __do_kmalloc_node mm/slub.c:4069 [inline]
  __kmalloc_noprof+0x200/0x410 mm/slub.c:4082
  kmalloc_noprof include/linux/slab.h:664 [inline]
  __cgroup_bpf_run_filter_setsockopt+0xd47/0x1050 kernel/bpf/cgroup.c:1869
  do_sock_setsockopt+0x6b4/0x720 net/socket.c:2293
  __sys_setsockopt+0x1ae/0x250 net/socket.c:2334
  __do_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2343 [inline]
  __se_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2340 [inline]
  __x64_sys_setsockopt+0xb5/0xd0 net/socket.c:2340
 do_syscall_64+0xfb/0x240
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x72/0x7a

The buggy address belongs to the object at ffff88802cd73da0
 which belongs to the cache kmalloc-8 of size 8
The buggy address is located 0 bytes inside of
 allocated 1-byte region [ffff88802cd73da0, ffff88802cd73da1)

The buggy address belongs to the physical page:
page: refcount:1 mapcount:0 mapping:0000000000000000 index:0xffff88802cd73020 pfn:0x2cd73
flags: 0xfff80000000000(node=0|zone=1|lastcpupid=0xfff)
page_type: 0xffffefff(slab)
raw: 00fff80000000000 ffff888015041280 dead000000000100 dead000000000122
raw: ffff88802cd73020 000000008080007f 00000001ffffefff 0000000000000000
page dumped because: kasan: bad access detected
page_owner tracks the page as allocated
page last allocated via order 0, migratetype Unmovable, gfp_mask 0x12cc0(GFP_KERNEL|__GFP_NOWARN|__GFP_NORETRY), pid 5103, tgid 2119833701 (syz-executor.4), ts 5103, free_ts 70804600828
  set_page_owner include/linux/page_owner.h:32 [inline]
  post_alloc_hook+0x1f3/0x230 mm/page_alloc.c:1490
  prep_new_page mm/page_alloc.c:1498 [inline]
  get_page_from_freelist+0x2e7e/0x2f40 mm/page_alloc.c:3454
  __alloc_pages_noprof+0x256/0x6c0 mm/page_alloc.c:4712
  __alloc_pages_node_noprof include/linux/gfp.h:244 [inline]
  alloc_pages_node_noprof include/linux/gfp.h:271 [inline]
  alloc_slab_page+0x5f/0x120 mm/slub.c:2249
  allocate_slab+0x5a/0x2e0 mm/slub.c:2412
  new_slab mm/slub.c:2465 [inline]
  ___slab_alloc+0xcd1/0x14b0 mm/slub.c:3615
  __slab_alloc+0x58/0xa0 mm/slub.c:3705
  __slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3758 [inline]
  slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3936 [inline]
  __do_kmalloc_node mm/slub.c:4068 [inline]
  kmalloc_node_track_caller_noprof+0x286/0x450 mm/slub.c:4089
  kstrdup+0x3a/0x80 mm/util.c:62
  device_rename+0xb5/0x1b0 drivers/base/core.c:4558
  dev_change_name+0x275/0x860 net/core/dev.c:1232
  do_setlink+0xa4b/0x41f0 net/core/rtnetlink.c:2864
  __rtnl_newlink net/core/rtnetlink.c:3680 [inline]
  rtnl_newlink+0x180b/0x20a0 net/core/rtnetlink.c:3727
  rtnetlink_rcv_msg+0x89b/0x10d0 net/core/rtnetlink.c:6594
  netlink_rcv_skb+0x1e3/0x430 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2559
  netlink_unicast_kernel net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1335 [inline]
  netlink_unicast+0x7ea/0x980 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1361
page last free pid 5146 tgid 5146 stack trace:
  reset_page_owner include/linux/page_owner.h:25 [inline]
  free_pages_prepare mm/page_alloc.c:1110 [inline]
  free_unref_page+0xd3c/0xec0 mm/page_alloc.c:2617
  discard_slab mm/slub.c:2511 [inline]
  __put_partials+0xeb/0x130 mm/slub.c:2980
  put_cpu_partial+0x17c/0x250 mm/slub.c:3055
  __slab_free+0x2ea/0x3d0 mm/slub.c:4254
  qlink_free mm/kasan/quarantine.c:163 [inline]
  qlist_free_all+0x9e/0x140 mm/kasan/quarantine.c:179
  kasan_quarantine_reduce+0x14f/0x170 mm/kasan/quarantine.c:286
  __kasan_slab_alloc+0x23/0x80 mm/kasan/common.c:322
  kasan_slab_alloc include/linux/kasan.h:201 [inline]
  slab_post_alloc_hook mm/slub.c:3888 [inline]
  slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3948 [inline]
  __do_kmalloc_node mm/slub.c:4068 [inline]
  __kmalloc_node_noprof+0x1d7/0x450 mm/slub.c:4076
  kmalloc_node_noprof include/linux/slab.h:681 [inline]
  kvmalloc_node_noprof+0x72/0x190 mm/util.c:634
  bucket_table_alloc lib/rhashtable.c:186 [inline]
  rhashtable_rehash_alloc+0x9e/0x290 lib/rhashtable.c:367
  rht_deferred_worker+0x4e1/0x2440 lib/rhashtable.c:427
  process_one_work kernel/workqueue.c:3218 [inline]
  process_scheduled_works+0xa2c/0x1830 kernel/workqueue.c:3299
  worker_thread+0x86d/0xd70 kernel/workqueue.c:3380
  kthread+0x2f0/0x390 kernel/kthread.c:388
  ret_from_fork+0x4b/0x80 arch/x86/kernel/process.c:147
  ret_from_fork_asm+0x1a/0x30 arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:243

Memory state around the buggy address:
 ffff88802cd73c80: 07 fc fc fc 05 fc fc fc 05 fc fc fc fa fc fc fc
 ffff88802cd73d00: fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc
>ffff88802cd73d80: fa fc fc fc 01 fc fc fc fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc
                               ^
 ffff88802cd73e00: fa fc fc fc fa fc fc fc 05 fc fc fc 07 fc fc fc
 ffff88802cd73e80: 07 fc fc fc 07 fc fc fc 07 fc fc fc 07 fc fc fc

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-35896 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 2.6.12 with commit 1da177e4c3f4 and fixed in 5.10.215 with commit 0f038242b77d
	Issue introduced in 2.6.12 with commit 1da177e4c3f4 and fixed in 5.15.154 with commit 440e948cf0ef
	Issue introduced in 2.6.12 with commit 1da177e4c3f4 and fixed in 6.1.85 with commit 18aae2cb87e5
	Issue introduced in 2.6.12 with commit 1da177e4c3f4 and fixed in 6.6.26 with commit 81d51b9b7c95
	Issue introduced in 2.6.12 with commit 1da177e4c3f4 and fixed in 6.8.5 with commit 58f2bfb789e6
	Issue introduced in 2.6.12 with commit 1da177e4c3f4 and fixed in 6.9 with commit 0c83842df40f

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-35896
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/bridge/netfilter/ebtables.c
	net/ipv4/netfilter/arp_tables.c
	net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.c
	net/ipv6/netfilter/ip6_tables.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0f038242b77ddfc505bf4163d4904c1abd2e74d6
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/440e948cf0eff32cfe322dcbca3f2525354b159b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/18aae2cb87e5faa9c5bd865260ceadac60d5a6c5
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/81d51b9b7c95e791ba3c1a2dd77920a9d3b3f525
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/58f2bfb789e6bd3bc24a2c9c1580f3c67aec3018
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0c83842df40f86e529db6842231154772c20edcc