Subject: CVE-2024-35889: idpf: fix kernel panic on unknown packet types

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

idpf: fix kernel panic on unknown packet types

In the very rare case where a packet type is unknown to the driver,
idpf_rx_process_skb_fields would return early without calling
eth_type_trans to set the skb protocol / the network layer handler.
This is especially problematic if tcpdump is running when such a
packet is received, i.e. it would cause a kernel panic.

Instead, call eth_type_trans for every single packet, even when
the packet type is unknown.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-35889 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.7 with commit 3a8845af66ed and fixed in 6.8.5 with commit b4d28f7fa4dd
	Issue introduced in 6.7 with commit 3a8845af66ed and fixed in 6.9 with commit dd19e827d63a

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-35889
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/intel/idpf/idpf_txrx.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b4d28f7fa4dd531cf503a4fe1ca7008960cc5832
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/dd19e827d63ac60debf117676d1126bff884bdb8