Subject: CVE-2024-35794: dm-raid: really frozen sync_thread during suspend

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

dm-raid: really frozen sync_thread during suspend

1) commit f52f5c71f3d4 ("md: fix stopping sync thread") remove
   MD_RECOVERY_FROZEN from __md_stop_writes() and doesn't realize that
   dm-raid relies on __md_stop_writes() to frozen sync_thread
   indirectly. Fix this problem by adding MD_RECOVERY_FROZEN in
   md_stop_writes(), and since stop_sync_thread() is only used for
   dm-raid in this case, also move stop_sync_thread() to
   md_stop_writes().
2) The flag MD_RECOVERY_FROZEN doesn't mean that sync thread is frozen,
   it only prevent new sync_thread to start, and it can't stop the
   running sync thread; In order to frozen sync_thread, after seting the
   flag, stop_sync_thread() should be used.
3) The flag MD_RECOVERY_FROZEN doesn't mean that writes are stopped, use
   it as condition for md_stop_writes() in raid_postsuspend() doesn't
   look correct. Consider that reentrant stop_sync_thread() do nothing,
   always call md_stop_writes() in raid_postsuspend().
4) raid_message can set/clear the flag MD_RECOVERY_FROZEN at anytime,
   and if MD_RECOVERY_FROZEN is cleared while the array is suspended,
   new sync_thread can start unexpected. Fix this by disallow
   raid_message() to change sync_thread status during suspend.

Note that after commit f52f5c71f3d4 ("md: fix stopping sync thread"), the
test shell/lvconvert-raid-reshape.sh start to hang in stop_sync_thread(),
and with previous fixes, the test won't hang there anymore, however, the
test will still fail and complain that ext4 is corrupted. And with this
patch, the test won't hang due to stop_sync_thread() or fail due to ext4
is corrupted anymore. However, there is still a deadlock related to
dm-raid456 that will be fixed in following patches.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-35794 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit 9dbd1aa3a81c and fixed in 6.7.12 with commit af916cb66a80
	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit 9dbd1aa3a81c and fixed in 6.8.3 with commit eaa8fc9b0928
	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit 9dbd1aa3a81c and fixed in 6.9 with commit 16c4770c75b1

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-35794
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/md/dm-raid.c
	drivers/md/md.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/af916cb66a80597f3523bc85812e790bcdcfd62b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/eaa8fc9b092837cf2c754bde1a15d784ce9a85ab
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/16c4770c75b1223998adbeb7286f9a15c65fba73