Subject: CVE-2024-27410: wifi: nl80211: reject iftype change with mesh ID change

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

wifi: nl80211: reject iftype change with mesh ID change

It's currently possible to change the mesh ID when the
interface isn't yet in mesh mode, at the same time as
changing it into mesh mode. This leads to an overwrite
of data in the wdev->u union for the interface type it
currently has, causing cfg80211_change_iface() to do
wrong things when switching.

We could probably allow setting an interface to mesh
while setting the mesh ID at the same time by doing a
different order of operations here, but realistically
there's no userspace that's going to do this, so just
disallow changes in iftype when setting mesh ID.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-27410 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.0 with commit 7b0a0e3c3a88 and fixed in 4.19.309 with commit d38d31bbbb9d
	Issue introduced in 6.0 with commit 7b0a0e3c3a88 and fixed in 5.4.271 with commit 0cfbb26ee5e7
	Issue introduced in 6.0 with commit 7b0a0e3c3a88 and fixed in 5.10.212 with commit 99eb2159680a
	Issue introduced in 6.0 with commit 7b0a0e3c3a88 and fixed in 5.15.151 with commit 063715c33b4c
	Issue introduced in 6.0 with commit 7b0a0e3c3a88 and fixed in 6.1.81 with commit 930e826962d9
	Issue introduced in 6.0 with commit 7b0a0e3c3a88 and fixed in 6.6.21 with commit 177d574be4b5
	Issue introduced in 6.0 with commit 7b0a0e3c3a88 and fixed in 6.7.9 with commit a2add961a5ed
	Issue introduced in 6.0 with commit 7b0a0e3c3a88 and fixed in 6.8 with commit f78c1375339a

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-27410
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/wireless/nl80211.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d38d31bbbb9dc0d4d71a45431eafba03d0bc150d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0cfbb26ee5e7b3d6483a73883f9f6157bca22ec9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/99eb2159680af8786104dac80528acd5acd45980
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/063715c33b4c37587aeca2c83cf08ead0c542995
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/930e826962d9f01dcd2220176134427358d112f2
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/177d574be4b58f832354ab1ef5a297aa0c9aa2df
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a2add961a5ed25cfd6a74f9ffb9e7ab6d6ded838
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f78c1375339a291cba492a70eaf12ec501d28a8e