Subject: CVE-2024-27392: nvme: host: fix double-free of struct nvme_id_ns in ns_update_nuse()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

nvme: host: fix double-free of struct nvme_id_ns in ns_update_nuse()

When nvme_identify_ns() fails, it frees the pointer to the struct
nvme_id_ns before it returns. However, ns_update_nuse() calls kfree()
for the pointer even when nvme_identify_ns() fails. This results in
KASAN double-free, which was observed with blktests nvme/045 with
proposed patches [1] on the kernel v6.8-rc7. Fix the double-free by
skipping kfree() when nvme_identify_ns() fails.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-27392 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit a1a825ab6a60 and fixed in 6.8.2 with commit 534f9dc7fe49
	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit a1a825ab6a60 and fixed in 6.9 with commit 8d0d2447394b

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-27392
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/nvme/host/sysfs.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/534f9dc7fe495b3f9cc84363898ac50c5a25fccb
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8d0d2447394b13fb22a069f0330f9c49b7fff9d3