Subject: CVE-2024-27071: backlight: hx8357: Fix potential NULL pointer dereference

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

backlight: hx8357: Fix potential NULL pointer dereference

The "im" pins are optional. Add missing check in the hx8357_probe().

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-27071 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 7d84a63a39b7 and fixed in 6.8.2 with commit 67e578c8ff2d
	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 7d84a63a39b7 and fixed in 6.9 with commit b1ba8bcb2d1f

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-27071
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/video/backlight/hx8357.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/67e578c8ff2d7df03bf8ca9a7f5436b1796f6ad1
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b1ba8bcb2d1ffce11b308ce166c9cc28d989e3b9