Subject: CVE-2024-27062: nouveau: lock the client object tree.

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

nouveau: lock the client object tree.

It appears the client object tree has no locking unless I've missed
something else. Fix races around adding/removing client objects,
mostly vram bar mappings.

 4562.099306] general protection fault, probably for non-canonical address 0x6677ed422bceb80c: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP PTI
[ 4562.099314] CPU: 2 PID: 23171 Comm: deqp-vk Not tainted 6.8.0-rc6+ #27
[ 4562.099324] Hardware name: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI/Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI-CF, BIOS F8 11/05/2021
[ 4562.099330] RIP: 0010:nvkm_object_search+0x1d/0x70 [nouveau]
[ 4562.099503] Code: 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 66 0f 1f 00 0f 1f 44 00 00 48 89 f8 48 85 f6 74 39 48 8b 87 a0 00 00 00 48 85 c0 74 12 <48> 8b 48 f8 48 39 ce 73 15 48 8b 40 10 48 85 c0 75 ee 48 c7 c0 fe
[ 4562.099506] RSP: 0000:ffffa94cc420bbf8 EFLAGS: 00010206
[ 4562.099512] RAX: 6677ed422bceb814 RBX: ffff98108791f400 RCX: ffff9810f26b8f58
[ 4562.099517] RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: ffff9810f26b9158 RDI: ffff98108791f400
[ 4562.099519] RBP: ffff9810f26b9158 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000000000000
[ 4562.099521] R10: ffffa94cc420bc48 R11: 0000000000000001 R12: ffff9810f02a7cc0
[ 4562.099526] R13: 0000000000000000 R14: 00000000000000ff R15: 0000000000000007
[ 4562.099528] FS:  00007f629c5017c0(0000) GS:ffff98142c700000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
[ 4562.099534] CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
[ 4562.099536] CR2: 00007f629a882000 CR3: 000000017019e004 CR4: 00000000003706f0
[ 4562.099541] DR0: 0000000000000000 DR1: 0000000000000000 DR2: 0000000000000000
[ 4562.099542] DR3: 0000000000000000 DR6: 00000000fffe0ff0 DR7: 0000000000000400
[ 4562.099544] Call Trace:
[ 4562.099555]  <TASK>
[ 4562.099573]  ? die_addr+0x36/0x90
[ 4562.099583]  ? exc_general_protection+0x246/0x4a0
[ 4562.099593]  ? asm_exc_general_protection+0x26/0x30
[ 4562.099600]  ? nvkm_object_search+0x1d/0x70 [nouveau]
[ 4562.099730]  nvkm_ioctl+0xa1/0x250 [nouveau]
[ 4562.099861]  nvif_object_map_handle+0xc8/0x180 [nouveau]
[ 4562.099986]  nouveau_ttm_io_mem_reserve+0x122/0x270 [nouveau]
[ 4562.100156]  ? dma_resv_test_signaled+0x26/0xb0
[ 4562.100163]  ttm_bo_vm_fault_reserved+0x97/0x3c0 [ttm]
[ 4562.100182]  ? __mutex_unlock_slowpath+0x2a/0x270
[ 4562.100189]  nouveau_ttm_fault+0x69/0xb0 [nouveau]
[ 4562.100356]  __do_fault+0x32/0x150
[ 4562.100362]  do_fault+0x7c/0x560
[ 4562.100369]  __handle_mm_fault+0x800/0xc10
[ 4562.100382]  handle_mm_fault+0x17c/0x3e0
[ 4562.100388]  do_user_addr_fault+0x208/0x860
[ 4562.100395]  exc_page_fault+0x7f/0x200
[ 4562.100402]  asm_exc_page_fault+0x26/0x30
[ 4562.100412] RIP: 0033:0x9b9870
[ 4562.100419] Code: 85 a8 f7 ff ff 8b 8d 80 f7 ff ff 89 08 e9 18 f2 ff ff 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 44 89 32 e9 90 fa ff ff 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 <44> 89 32 e9 f8 f1 ff ff 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 66 44 89 32 e9 e7
[ 4562.100422] RSP: 002b:00007fff9ba2dc70 EFLAGS: 00010246
[ 4562.100426] RAX: 0000000000000004 RBX: 000000000dd65e10 RCX: 000000fff0000000
[ 4562.100428] RDX: 00007f629a882000 RSI: 00007f629a882000 RDI: 0000000000000066
[ 4562.100432] RBP: 00007fff9ba2e570 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000123ddf000
[ 4562.100434] R10: 0000000000000001 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 000000007fffffff
[ 4562.100436] R13: 0000000000000000 R14: 0000000000000000 R15: 0000000000000000
[ 4562.100446]  </TASK>
[ 4562.100448] Modules linked in: nf_conntrack_netbios_ns nf_conntrack_broadcast nft_fib_inet nft_fib_ipv4 nft_fib_ipv6 nft_fib nft_reject_inet nf_reject_ipv4 nf_reject_ipv6 nft_reject nft_ct nft_chain_nat nf_nat nf_conntrack nf_defrag_ipv6 nf_defrag_ipv4 ip_set nf_tables libcrc32c nfnetlink cmac bnep sunrpc iwlmvm intel_rapl_msr intel_rapl_common snd_sof_pci_intel_cnl x86_pkg_temp_thermal intel_powerclamp snd_sof_intel_hda_common mac80211 coretemp snd_soc_acpi_intel_match kvm_intel snd_soc_acpi snd_soc_hdac_hda snd_sof_pci snd_sof_xtensa_dsp snd_sof_intel_hda_mlink snd_sof_intel_hda snd_sof kvm snd_sof_utils snd_soc_core snd_hda_codec_realtek libarc4 snd_hda_codec_generic snd_compress snd_hda_ext_core vfat fat snd_hda_intel snd_intel_dspcfg irqbypass iwlwifi snd_hda_codec snd_hwdep snd_hda_core btusb btrtl mei_hdcp iTCO_wdt rapl mei_pxp btintel snd_seq iTCO_vendor_support btbcm snd_seq_device intel_cstate bluetooth snd_pcm cfg80211 intel_wmi_thunderbolt wmi_bmof intel_uncore snd_timer mei_me snd ecdh_generic i2c_i801
[ 4562.100541]  ecc mei i2c_smbus soundcore rfkill intel_pch_thermal acpi_pad zram nouveau drm_ttm_helper ttm gpu_sched i2c_algo_bit drm_gpuvm drm_exec mxm_wmi drm_display_helper drm_kms_helper drm crct10dif_pclmul crc32_pclmul nvme e1000e crc32c_intel nvme_core ghash_clmulni_intel video wmi pinctrl_cannonlake ip6_tables ip_tables fuse
[ 4562.100616] ---[ end trace 0000000000000000 ]---

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-27062 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.6.24 with commit 6887314f5356
	Fixed in 6.7.12 with commit 96c875184417
	Fixed in 6.8 with commit b7cc4ff787a5

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-27062
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/include/nvkm/core/client.h
	drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nvkm/core/client.c
	drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nvkm/core/object.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6887314f5356389fc219b8152e951ac084a10ef7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/96c8751844171af4b3898fee3857ee180586f589
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b7cc4ff787a572edf2c55caeffaa88cd801eb135