Subject: CVE-2024-27022: fork: defer linking file vma until vma is fully initialized

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

fork: defer linking file vma until vma is fully initialized

Thorvald reported a WARNING [1]. And the root cause is below race:

 CPU 1					CPU 2
 fork					hugetlbfs_fallocate
  dup_mmap				 hugetlbfs_punch_hole
   i_mmap_lock_write(mapping);
   vma_interval_tree_insert_after -- Child vma is visible through i_mmap tree.
   i_mmap_unlock_write(mapping);
   hugetlb_dup_vma_private -- Clear vma_lock outside i_mmap_rwsem!
					 i_mmap_lock_write(mapping);
   					 hugetlb_vmdelete_list
					  vma_interval_tree_foreach
					   hugetlb_vma_trylock_write -- Vma_lock is cleared.
   tmp->vm_ops->open -- Alloc new vma_lock outside i_mmap_rwsem!
					   hugetlb_vma_unlock_write -- Vma_lock is assigned!!!
					 i_mmap_unlock_write(mapping);

hugetlb_dup_vma_private() and hugetlb_vm_op_open() are called outside
i_mmap_rwsem lock while vma lock can be used in the same time.  Fix this
by deferring linking file vma until vma is fully initialized.  Those vmas
should be initialized first before they can be used.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-27022 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.1 with commit 8d9bfb260814 and fixed in 6.1.90 with commit 0c42f7e039ab
	Issue introduced in 6.1 with commit 8d9bfb260814 and fixed in 6.1.95 with commit 04b0c4191234
	Issue introduced in 6.1 with commit 8d9bfb260814 and fixed in 6.6.30 with commit cec11fa2eb51
	Issue introduced in 6.1 with commit 8d9bfb260814 and fixed in 6.6.35 with commit dd782da47076
	Issue introduced in 6.1 with commit 8d9bfb260814 and fixed in 6.8.8 with commit abdb88dd272b
	Issue introduced in 6.1 with commit 8d9bfb260814 and fixed in 6.9 with commit 35e351780fa9

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-27022
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	kernel/fork.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0c42f7e039aba3de6d7dbf92da708e2b2ecba557
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/04b0c41912349aff11a1bbaef6a722bd7fbb90ac
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/cec11fa2eb512ebe3a459c185f4aca1d44059bbf
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/dd782da470761077f4d1120e191f1a35787cda6e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/abdb88dd272bbeb93efe01d8e0b7b17e24af3a34
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/35e351780fa9d8240dd6f7e4f245f9ea37e96c19