Subject: CVE-2024-27021: r8169: fix LED-related deadlock on module removal

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

r8169: fix LED-related deadlock on module removal

Binding devm_led_classdev_register() to the netdev is problematic
because on module removal we get a RTNL-related deadlock. Fix this
by avoiding the device-managed LED functions.

Note: We can safely call led_classdev_unregister() for a LED even
if registering it failed, because led_classdev_unregister() detects
this and is a no-op in this case.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-27021 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 18764b883e15 and fixed in 6.8.8 with commit 53d986f39acd
	Issue introduced in 6.8 with commit 18764b883e15 and fixed in 6.9 with commit 19fa4f2a85d7

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-27021
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/realtek/r8169.h
	drivers/net/ethernet/realtek/r8169_leds.c
	drivers/net/ethernet/realtek/r8169_main.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/53d986f39acd8ea11c9e460732bfa5add66360d9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/19fa4f2a85d777a8052e869c1b892a2f7556569d