Subject: CVE-2024-26974: crypto: qat - resolve race condition during AER recovery

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

crypto: qat - resolve race condition during AER recovery

During the PCI AER system's error recovery process, the kernel driver
may encounter a race condition with freeing the reset_data structure's
memory. If the device restart will take more than 10 seconds the function
scheduling that restart will exit due to a timeout, and the reset_data
structure will be freed. However, this data structure is used for
completion notification after the restart is completed, which leads
to a UAF bug.

This results in a KFENCE bug notice.

  BUG: KFENCE: use-after-free read in adf_device_reset_worker+0x38/0xa0 [intel_qat]
  Use-after-free read at 0x00000000bc56fddf (in kfence-#142):
  adf_device_reset_worker+0x38/0xa0 [intel_qat]
  process_one_work+0x173/0x340

To resolve this race condition, the memory associated to the container
of the work_struct is freed on the worker if the timeout expired,
otherwise on the function that schedules the worker.
The timeout detection can be done by checking if the caller is
still waiting for completion or not by using completion_done() function.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26974 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 3.17 with commit d8cba25d2c68 and fixed in 4.19.312 with commit daba62d9eedd
	Issue introduced in 3.17 with commit d8cba25d2c68 and fixed in 5.4.274 with commit 8e81cd58aee1
	Issue introduced in 3.17 with commit d8cba25d2c68 and fixed in 5.10.215 with commit d03092550f52
	Issue introduced in 3.17 with commit d8cba25d2c68 and fixed in 5.15.154 with commit 4ae5a97781ce
	Issue introduced in 3.17 with commit d8cba25d2c68 and fixed in 6.1.84 with commit 226fc408c5fc
	Issue introduced in 3.17 with commit d8cba25d2c68 and fixed in 6.6.24 with commit 8a5a7611ccc7
	Issue introduced in 3.17 with commit d8cba25d2c68 and fixed in 6.7.12 with commit 0c2cf5142bfb
	Issue introduced in 3.17 with commit d8cba25d2c68 and fixed in 6.8.3 with commit bb279ead4226
	Issue introduced in 3.17 with commit d8cba25d2c68 and fixed in 6.9 with commit 7d42e097607c

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26974
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/crypto/intel/qat/qat_common/adf_aer.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/daba62d9eeddcc5b1081be7d348ca836c83c59d7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8e81cd58aee14a470891733181a47d123193ba81
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d03092550f526a79cf1ade7f0dfa74906f39eb71
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4ae5a97781ce7d6ecc9c7055396535815b64ca4f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/226fc408c5fcd23cc4186f05ea3a09a7a9aef2f7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8a5a7611ccc7b1fba8d933a9f22a2e76859d94dc
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0c2cf5142bfb634c0ef0a1a69cdf37950747d0be
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/bb279ead42263e9fb09480f02a4247b2c287d828
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7d42e097607c4d246d99225bf2b195b6167a210c