Subject: CVE-2024-26953: net: esp: fix bad handling of pages from page_pool

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: esp: fix bad handling of pages from page_pool

When the skb is reorganized during esp_output (!esp->inline), the pages
coming from the original skb fragments are supposed to be released back
to the system through put_page. But if the skb fragment pages are
originating from a page_pool, calling put_page on them will trigger a
page_pool leak which will eventually result in a crash.

This leak can be easily observed when using CONFIG_DEBUG_VM and doing
ipsec + gre (non offloaded) forwarding:

  BUG: Bad page state in process ksoftirqd/16  pfn:1451b6
  page:00000000de2b8d32 refcount:0 mapcount:0 mapping:0000000000000000 index:0x1451b6000 pfn:0x1451b6
  flags: 0x200000000000000(node=0|zone=2)
  page_type: 0xffffffff()
  raw: 0200000000000000 dead000000000040 ffff88810d23c000 0000000000000000
  raw: 00000001451b6000 0000000000000001 00000000ffffffff 0000000000000000
  page dumped because: page_pool leak
  Modules linked in: ip_gre gre mlx5_ib mlx5_core xt_conntrack xt_MASQUERADE nf_conntrack_netlink nfnetlink iptable_nat nf_nat xt_addrtype br_netfilter rpcrdma rdma_ucm ib_iser libiscsi scsi_transport_iscsi ib_umad rdma_cm ib_ipoib iw_cm ib_cm ib_uverbs ib_core overlay zram zsmalloc fuse [last unloaded: mlx5_core]
  CPU: 16 PID: 96 Comm: ksoftirqd/16 Not tainted 6.8.0-rc4+ #22
  Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009), BIOS rel-1.13.0-0-gf21b5a4aeb02-prebuilt.qemu.org 04/01/2014
  Call Trace:
   <TASK>
   dump_stack_lvl+0x36/0x50
   bad_page+0x70/0xf0
   free_unref_page_prepare+0x27a/0x460
   free_unref_page+0x38/0x120
   esp_ssg_unref.isra.0+0x15f/0x200
   esp_output_tail+0x66d/0x780
   esp_xmit+0x2c5/0x360
   validate_xmit_xfrm+0x313/0x370
   ? validate_xmit_skb+0x1d/0x330
   validate_xmit_skb_list+0x4c/0x70
   sch_direct_xmit+0x23e/0x350
   __dev_queue_xmit+0x337/0xba0
   ? nf_hook_slow+0x3f/0xd0
   ip_finish_output2+0x25e/0x580
   iptunnel_xmit+0x19b/0x240
   ip_tunnel_xmit+0x5fb/0xb60
   ipgre_xmit+0x14d/0x280 [ip_gre]
   dev_hard_start_xmit+0xc3/0x1c0
   __dev_queue_xmit+0x208/0xba0
   ? nf_hook_slow+0x3f/0xd0
   ip_finish_output2+0x1ca/0x580
   ip_sublist_rcv_finish+0x32/0x40
   ip_sublist_rcv+0x1b2/0x1f0
   ? ip_rcv_finish_core.constprop.0+0x460/0x460
   ip_list_rcv+0x103/0x130
   __netif_receive_skb_list_core+0x181/0x1e0
   netif_receive_skb_list_internal+0x1b3/0x2c0
   napi_gro_receive+0xc8/0x200
   gro_cell_poll+0x52/0x90
   __napi_poll+0x25/0x1a0
   net_rx_action+0x28e/0x300
   __do_softirq+0xc3/0x276
   ? sort_range+0x20/0x20
   run_ksoftirqd+0x1e/0x30
   smpboot_thread_fn+0xa6/0x130
   kthread+0xcd/0x100
   ? kthread_complete_and_exit+0x20/0x20
   ret_from_fork+0x31/0x50
   ? kthread_complete_and_exit+0x20/0x20
   ret_from_fork_asm+0x11/0x20
   </TASK>

The suggested fix is to introduce a new wrapper (skb_page_unref) that
covers page refcounting for page_pool pages as well.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26953 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit 6a5bcd84e886 and fixed in 6.6.24 with commit 8291b4eac429
	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit 6a5bcd84e886 and fixed in 6.7.12 with commit 1abb20a5f4b0
	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit 6a5bcd84e886 and fixed in 6.8.3 with commit f278ff9db672
	Issue introduced in 5.14 with commit 6a5bcd84e886 and fixed in 6.9 with commit c3198822c6cb

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26953
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	include/linux/skbuff.h
	net/ipv4/esp4.c
	net/ipv6/esp6.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8291b4eac429c480386669444c6377573f5d8664
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1abb20a5f4b02fb3020f88456fc1e6069b3cdc45
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f278ff9db67264715d0d50e3e75044f8b78990f4
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c3198822c6cb9fb588e446540485669cc81c5d34