Subject: CVE-2024-26944: btrfs: zoned: fix use-after-free in do_zone_finish()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

btrfs: zoned: fix use-after-free in do_zone_finish()

Shinichiro reported the following use-after-free triggered by the device
replace operation in fstests btrfs/070.

 BTRFS info (device nullb1): scrub: finished on devid 1 with status: 0
 ==================================================================
 BUG: KASAN: slab-use-after-free in do_zone_finish+0x91a/0xb90 [btrfs]
 Read of size 8 at addr ffff8881543c8060 by task btrfs-cleaner/3494007

 CPU: 0 PID: 3494007 Comm: btrfs-cleaner Tainted: G        W          6.8.0-rc5-kts #1
 Hardware name: Supermicro Super Server/X11SPi-TF, BIOS 3.3 02/21/2020
 Call Trace:
  <TASK>
  dump_stack_lvl+0x5b/0x90
  print_report+0xcf/0x670
  ? __virt_addr_valid+0x200/0x3e0
  kasan_report+0xd8/0x110
  ? do_zone_finish+0x91a/0xb90 [btrfs]
  ? do_zone_finish+0x91a/0xb90 [btrfs]
  do_zone_finish+0x91a/0xb90 [btrfs]
  btrfs_delete_unused_bgs+0x5e1/0x1750 [btrfs]
  ? __pfx_btrfs_delete_unused_bgs+0x10/0x10 [btrfs]
  ? btrfs_put_root+0x2d/0x220 [btrfs]
  ? btrfs_clean_one_deleted_snapshot+0x299/0x430 [btrfs]
  cleaner_kthread+0x21e/0x380 [btrfs]
  ? __pfx_cleaner_kthread+0x10/0x10 [btrfs]
  kthread+0x2e3/0x3c0
  ? __pfx_kthread+0x10/0x10
  ret_from_fork+0x31/0x70
  ? __pfx_kthread+0x10/0x10
  ret_from_fork_asm+0x1b/0x30
  </TASK>

 Allocated by task 3493983:
  kasan_save_stack+0x33/0x60
  kasan_save_track+0x14/0x30
  __kasan_kmalloc+0xaa/0xb0
  btrfs_alloc_device+0xb3/0x4e0 [btrfs]
  device_list_add.constprop.0+0x993/0x1630 [btrfs]
  btrfs_scan_one_device+0x219/0x3d0 [btrfs]
  btrfs_control_ioctl+0x26e/0x310 [btrfs]
  __x64_sys_ioctl+0x134/0x1b0
  do_syscall_64+0x99/0x190
  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6e/0x76

 Freed by task 3494056:
  kasan_save_stack+0x33/0x60
  kasan_save_track+0x14/0x30
  kasan_save_free_info+0x3f/0x60
  poison_slab_object+0x102/0x170
  __kasan_slab_free+0x32/0x70
  kfree+0x11b/0x320
  btrfs_rm_dev_replace_free_srcdev+0xca/0x280 [btrfs]
  btrfs_dev_replace_finishing+0xd7e/0x14f0 [btrfs]
  btrfs_dev_replace_by_ioctl+0x1286/0x25a0 [btrfs]
  btrfs_ioctl+0xb27/0x57d0 [btrfs]
  __x64_sys_ioctl+0x134/0x1b0
  do_syscall_64+0x99/0x190
  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6e/0x76

 The buggy address belongs to the object at ffff8881543c8000
  which belongs to the cache kmalloc-1k of size 1024
 The buggy address is located 96 bytes inside of
  freed 1024-byte region [ffff8881543c8000, ffff8881543c8400)

 The buggy address belongs to the physical page:
 page:00000000fe2c1285 refcount:1 mapcount:0 mapping:0000000000000000 index:0x0 pfn:0x1543c8
 head:00000000fe2c1285 order:3 entire_mapcount:0 nr_pages_mapped:0 pincount:0
 flags: 0x17ffffc0000840(slab|head|node=0|zone=2|lastcpupid=0x1fffff)
 page_type: 0xffffffff()
 raw: 0017ffffc0000840 ffff888100042dc0 ffffea0019e8f200 dead000000000002
 raw: 0000000000000000 0000000000100010 00000001ffffffff 0000000000000000
 page dumped because: kasan: bad access detected

 Memory state around the buggy address:
  ffff8881543c7f00: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
  ffff8881543c7f80: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 >ffff8881543c8000: fa fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb
                                                        ^
  ffff8881543c8080: fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb
  ffff8881543c8100: fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb fb

This UAF happens because we're accessing stale zone information of a
already removed btrfs_device in do_zone_finish().

The sequence of events is as follows:

btrfs_dev_replace_start
  btrfs_scrub_dev
   btrfs_dev_replace_finishing
    btrfs_dev_replace_update_device_in_mapping_tree <-- devices replaced
    btrfs_rm_dev_replace_free_srcdev
     btrfs_free_device                              <-- device freed

cleaner_kthread
 btrfs_delete_unused_bgs
  btrfs_zone_finish
   do_zone_finish              <-- refers the freed device

The reason for this is that we're using a cached pointer to the chunk_map
from the block group, but on device replace this cached pointer can
contain stale device entries.

The staleness comes from the fact, that btrfs_block_group::physical_map is
not a pointer to a btrfs_chunk_map but a memory copy of it.

Also take the fs_info::dev_replace::rwsem to prevent
btrfs_dev_replace_update_device_in_mapping_tree() from changing the device
underneath us again.

Note: btrfs_dev_replace_update_device_in_mapping_tree() is holding
fs_info::mapping_tree_lock, but as this is a spinning read/write lock we
cannot take it as the call to blkdev_zone_mgmt() requires a memory
allocation which may not sleep.
But btrfs_dev_replace_update_device_in_mapping_tree() is always called with
the fs_info::dev_replace::rwsem held in write mode.

Many thanks to Shinichiro for analyzing the bug.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26944 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.8.3 with commit 34ca809e055e
	Fixed in 6.9 with commit 1ec17ef59168

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26944
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/btrfs/zoned.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/34ca809e055eca5cfe63d9c7efbf80b7c21b4e57
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1ec17ef59168a1a6f1105f5dc517f783839a5302