Subject: CVE-2024-26934: USB: core: Fix deadlock in usb_deauthorize_interface()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

USB: core: Fix deadlock in usb_deauthorize_interface()

Among the attribute file callback routines in
drivers/usb/core/sysfs.c, the interface_authorized_store() function is
the only one which acquires a device lock on an ancestor device: It
calls usb_deauthorize_interface(), which locks the interface's parent
USB device.

The will lead to deadlock if another process already owns that lock
and tries to remove the interface, whether through a configuration
change or because the device has been disconnected.  As part of the
removal procedure, device_del() waits for all ongoing sysfs attribute
callbacks to complete.  But usb_deauthorize_interface() can't complete
until the device lock has been released, and the lock won't be
released until the removal has finished.

The mechanism provided by sysfs to prevent this kind of deadlock is
to use the sysfs_break_active_protection() function, which tells sysfs
not to wait for the attribute callback.

Reported-and-tested by: Yue Sun <[email-masked]>
Reported by: xingwei lee <[email-masked]>

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26934 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.4 with commit 310d2b4124c0 and fixed in 4.19.312 with commit 8cbdd324b415
	Issue introduced in 4.4 with commit 310d2b4124c0 and fixed in 5.4.274 with commit 12d6a5681a0a
	Issue introduced in 4.4 with commit 310d2b4124c0 and fixed in 5.10.215 with commit e451709573f8
	Issue introduced in 4.4 with commit 310d2b4124c0 and fixed in 5.15.154 with commit 1b175bc579f4
	Issue introduced in 4.4 with commit 310d2b4124c0 and fixed in 6.1.84 with commit ab062fa3dc69
	Issue introduced in 4.4 with commit 310d2b4124c0 and fixed in 6.6.24 with commit 122a06f1068b
	Issue introduced in 4.4 with commit 310d2b4124c0 and fixed in 6.7.12 with commit dbdf66250d2d
	Issue introduced in 4.4 with commit 310d2b4124c0 and fixed in 6.8.3 with commit 07acf979da33
	Issue introduced in 4.4 with commit 310d2b4124c0 and fixed in 6.9 with commit 80ba43e9f799

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26934
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/usb/core/sysfs.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8cbdd324b41528994027128207fae8100dff094f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/12d6a5681a0a5cecc2af7860f0a1613fa7c6e947
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e451709573f8be904a8a72d0775bf114d7c291d9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1b175bc579f46520b11ecda443bcd2ee4904f66a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ab062fa3dc69aea88fe62162c5881ba14b50ecc5
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/122a06f1068bf5e39089863f4f60b1f5d4273384
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/dbdf66250d2d33e8b27352fcb901de79f3521057
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/07acf979da33c721357ff27129edf74c23c036c6
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/80ba43e9f799cbdd83842fc27db667289b3150f5