Subject: CVE-2024-26880: dm: call the resume method on internal suspend

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

dm: call the resume method on internal suspend

There is this reported crash when experimenting with the lvm2 testsuite.
The list corruption is caused by the fact that the postsuspend and resume
methods were not paired correctly; there were two consecutive calls to the
origin_postsuspend function. The second call attempts to remove the
"hash_list" entry from a list, while it was already removed by the first
call.

Fix __dm_internal_resume so that it calls the preresume and resume
methods of the table's targets.

If a preresume method of some target fails, we are in a tricky situation.
We can't return an error because dm_internal_resume isn't supposed to
return errors. We can't return success, because then the "resume" and
"postsuspend" methods would not be paired correctly. So, we set the
DMF_SUSPENDED flag and we fake normal suspend - it may confuse userspace
tools, but it won't cause a kernel crash.

------------[ cut here ]------------
kernel BUG at lib/list_debug.c:56!
invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
CPU: 1 PID: 8343 Comm: dmsetup Not tainted 6.8.0-rc6 #4
Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS 1.14.0-2 04/01/2014
RIP: 0010:__list_del_entry_valid_or_report+0x77/0xc0
<snip>
RSP: 0018:ffff8881b831bcc0 EFLAGS: 00010282
RAX: 000000000000004e RBX: ffff888143b6eb80 RCX: 0000000000000000
RDX: 0000000000000001 RSI: ffffffff819053d0 RDI: 00000000ffffffff
RBP: ffff8881b83a3400 R08: 00000000fffeffff R09: 0000000000000058
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: ffffffff81a24080 R12: 0000000000000001
R13: ffff88814538e000 R14: ffff888143bc6dc0 R15: ffffffffa02e4bb0
FS:  00000000f7c0f780(0000) GS:ffff8893f0a40000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
CS:  0010 DS: 002b ES: 002b CR0: 0000000080050033
CR2: 0000000057fb5000 CR3: 0000000143474000 CR4: 00000000000006b0
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 ? die+0x2d/0x80
 ? do_trap+0xeb/0xf0
 ? __list_del_entry_valid_or_report+0x77/0xc0
 ? do_error_trap+0x60/0x80
 ? __list_del_entry_valid_or_report+0x77/0xc0
 ? exc_invalid_op+0x49/0x60
 ? __list_del_entry_valid_or_report+0x77/0xc0
 ? asm_exc_invalid_op+0x16/0x20
 ? table_deps+0x1b0/0x1b0 [dm_mod]
 ? __list_del_entry_valid_or_report+0x77/0xc0
 origin_postsuspend+0x1a/0x50 [dm_snapshot]
 dm_table_postsuspend_targets+0x34/0x50 [dm_mod]
 dm_suspend+0xd8/0xf0 [dm_mod]
 dev_suspend+0x1f2/0x2f0 [dm_mod]
 ? table_deps+0x1b0/0x1b0 [dm_mod]
 ctl_ioctl+0x300/0x5f0 [dm_mod]
 dm_compat_ctl_ioctl+0x7/0x10 [dm_mod]
 __x64_compat_sys_ioctl+0x104/0x170
 do_syscall_64+0x184/0x1b0
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x46/0x4e
RIP: 0033:0xf7e6aead
<snip>
---[ end trace 0000000000000000 ]---

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26880 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 3.19 with commit ffcc39364160 and fixed in 4.19.311 with commit 69836d9329f0
	Issue introduced in 3.19 with commit ffcc39364160 and fixed in 5.4.273 with commit da7ece219710
	Issue introduced in 3.19 with commit ffcc39364160 and fixed in 5.10.214 with commit f89bd2770937
	Issue introduced in 3.19 with commit ffcc39364160 and fixed in 5.15.153 with commit 03ad5ad53e51
	Issue introduced in 3.19 with commit ffcc39364160 and fixed in 6.1.83 with commit ad10289f68f4
	Issue introduced in 3.19 with commit ffcc39364160 and fixed in 6.6.23 with commit 15a3fc5c8774
	Issue introduced in 3.19 with commit ffcc39364160 and fixed in 6.7.11 with commit ef02d8edf738
	Issue introduced in 3.19 with commit ffcc39364160 and fixed in 6.8.2 with commit 360a7d1be811
	Issue introduced in 3.19 with commit ffcc39364160 and fixed in 6.9 with commit 65e8fbde6452

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26880
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/md/dm.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/69836d9329f0b4c58faaf3d886a7748ddb5bf718
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/da7ece2197101b1469853e6b5e915be1e3896d52
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f89bd27709376d37ff883067193320c58a8c1d5a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/03ad5ad53e51abf3a4c7538c1bc67a5982b41dc5
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ad10289f68f45649816cc68eb93f45fd5ec48a15
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/15a3fc5c8774c17589dabfe1d642d40685c985af
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ef02d8edf738557af2865c5bfb66a03c4e071be7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/360a7d1be8112654f1fb328ed3862be630bca3f4
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/65e8fbde64520001abf1c8d0e573561b4746ef38