Subject: CVE-2024-26866: spi: lpspi: Avoid potential use-after-free in probe()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

spi: lpspi: Avoid potential use-after-free in probe()

fsl_lpspi_probe() is allocating/disposing memory manually with
spi_alloc_host()/spi_alloc_target(), but uses
devm_spi_register_controller(). In case of error after the latter call the
memory will be explicitly freed in the probe function by
spi_controller_put() call, but used afterwards by "devm" management outside
probe() (spi_unregister_controller() <- devm_spi_unregister() below).

Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000000000000070
...
Call trace:
 kernfs_find_ns
 kernfs_find_and_get_ns
 sysfs_remove_group
 sysfs_remove_groups
 device_remove_attrs
 device_del
 spi_unregister_controller
 devm_spi_unregister
 release_nodes
 devres_release_all
 really_probe
 driver_probe_device
 __device_attach_driver
 bus_for_each_drv
 __device_attach
 device_initial_probe
 bus_probe_device
 deferred_probe_work_func
 process_one_work
 worker_thread
 kthread
 ret_from_fork

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26866 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit 5314987de5e5 and fixed in 6.6.23 with commit da83ed350e46
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit 5314987de5e5 and fixed in 6.7.11 with commit 1543418e8278
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit 5314987de5e5 and fixed in 6.8.2 with commit 996ce839606a
	Issue introduced in 4.10 with commit 5314987de5e5 and fixed in 6.9 with commit 2ae0ab0143fc

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26866
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/spi/spi-fsl-lpspi.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/da83ed350e4604b976e94239b08d8e2e7eaee7ea
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1543418e82789cc383cd36d41469983c64e3fc7f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/996ce839606afd0fef91355627868022aa73eb68
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2ae0ab0143fcc06190713ed81a6486ed0ad3c861