Subject: CVE-2024-26836: platform/x86: think-lmi: Fix password opcode ordering for workstations

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

platform/x86: think-lmi: Fix password opcode ordering for workstations

The Lenovo workstations require the password opcode to be run before
the attribute value is changed (if Admin password is enabled).

Tested on some Thinkpads to confirm they are OK with this order too.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26836 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit 640a5fa50a42 and fixed in 6.6.55 with commit 2deb10a99671
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit 640a5fa50a42 and fixed in 6.7.7 with commit 2bfbe1e0aed0
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit 640a5fa50a42 and fixed in 6.8 with commit 6f7d0f5fd8e4

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26836
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/platform/x86/think-lmi.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2deb10a99671afda30f834e95e5b992a805bba6a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2bfbe1e0aed00ba51d58573c79452fada3f62ed4
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6f7d0f5fd8e440c3446560100ac4ff9a55eec340