Subject: CVE-2024-26804: net: ip_tunnel: prevent perpetual headroom growth

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: ip_tunnel: prevent perpetual headroom growth

syzkaller triggered following kasan splat:
BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in __skb_flow_dissect+0x19d1/0x7a50 net/core/flow_dissector.c:1170
Read of size 1 at addr ffff88812fb4000e by task syz-executor183/5191
[..]
 kasan_report+0xda/0x110 mm/kasan/report.c:588
 __skb_flow_dissect+0x19d1/0x7a50 net/core/flow_dissector.c:1170
 skb_flow_dissect_flow_keys include/linux/skbuff.h:1514 [inline]
 ___skb_get_hash net/core/flow_dissector.c:1791 [inline]
 __skb_get_hash+0xc7/0x540 net/core/flow_dissector.c:1856
 skb_get_hash include/linux/skbuff.h:1556 [inline]
 ip_tunnel_xmit+0x1855/0x33c0 net/ipv4/ip_tunnel.c:748
 ipip_tunnel_xmit+0x3cc/0x4e0 net/ipv4/ipip.c:308
 __netdev_start_xmit include/linux/netdevice.h:4940 [inline]
 netdev_start_xmit include/linux/netdevice.h:4954 [inline]
 xmit_one net/core/dev.c:3548 [inline]
 dev_hard_start_xmit+0x13d/0x6d0 net/core/dev.c:3564
 __dev_queue_xmit+0x7c1/0x3d60 net/core/dev.c:4349
 dev_queue_xmit include/linux/netdevice.h:3134 [inline]
 neigh_connected_output+0x42c/0x5d0 net/core/neighbour.c:1592
 ...
 ip_finish_output2+0x833/0x2550 net/ipv4/ip_output.c:235
 ip_finish_output+0x31/0x310 net/ipv4/ip_output.c:323
 ..
 iptunnel_xmit+0x5b4/0x9b0 net/ipv4/ip_tunnel_core.c:82
 ip_tunnel_xmit+0x1dbc/0x33c0 net/ipv4/ip_tunnel.c:831
 ipgre_xmit+0x4a1/0x980 net/ipv4/ip_gre.c:665
 __netdev_start_xmit include/linux/netdevice.h:4940 [inline]
 netdev_start_xmit include/linux/netdevice.h:4954 [inline]
 xmit_one net/core/dev.c:3548 [inline]
 dev_hard_start_xmit+0x13d/0x6d0 net/core/dev.c:3564
 ...

The splat occurs because skb->data points past skb->head allocated area.
This is because neigh layer does:
  __skb_pull(skb, skb_network_offset(skb));

... but skb_network_offset() returns a negative offset and __skb_pull()
arg is unsigned.  IOW, we skb->data gets "adjusted" by a huge value.

The negative value is returned because skb->head and skb->data distance is
more than 64k and skb->network_header (u16) has wrapped around.

The bug is in the ip_tunnel infrastructure, which can cause
dev->needed_headroom to increment ad infinitum.

The syzkaller reproducer consists of packets getting routed via a gre
tunnel, and route of gre encapsulated packets pointing at another (ipip)
tunnel.  The ipip encapsulation finds gre0 as next output device.

This results in the following pattern:

1). First packet is to be sent out via gre0.
Route lookup found an output device, ipip0.

2).
ip_tunnel_xmit for gre0 bumps gre0->needed_headroom based on the future
output device, rt.dev->needed_headroom (ipip0).

3).
ip output / start_xmit moves skb on to ipip0. which runs the same
code path again (xmit recursion).

4).
Routing step for the post-gre0-encap packet finds gre0 as output device
to use for ipip0 encapsulated packet.

tunl0->needed_headroom is then incremented based on the (already bumped)
gre0 device headroom.

This repeats for every future packet:

gre0->needed_headroom gets inflated because previous packets' ipip0 step
incremented rt->dev (gre0) headroom, and ipip0 incremented because gre0
needed_headroom was increased.

For each subsequent packet, gre/ipip0->needed_headroom grows until
post-expand-head reallocations result in a skb->head/data distance of
more than 64k.

Once that happens, skb->network_header (u16) wraps around when
pskb_expand_head tries to make sure that skb_network_offset() is unchanged
after the headroom expansion/reallocation.

After this skb_network_offset(skb) returns a different (and negative)
result post headroom expansion.

The next trip to neigh layer (or anything else that would __skb_pull the
network header) makes skb->data point to a memory location outside
skb->head area.

v2: Cap the needed_headroom update to an arbitarily chosen upperlimit to
prevent perpetual increase instead of dropping the headroom increment
completely.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26804 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 243aad830e8a and fixed in 5.4.271 with commit f81e94d2dcd2
	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 243aad830e8a and fixed in 5.10.212 with commit 2e95350fe9db
	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 243aad830e8a and fixed in 5.15.151 with commit afec0c5cd2ed
	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 243aad830e8a and fixed in 6.1.81 with commit ab63de24ebea
	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 243aad830e8a and fixed in 6.6.21 with commit a0a1db40b23e
	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 243aad830e8a and fixed in 6.7.9 with commit 049d7989c67e
	Issue introduced in 2.6.34 with commit 243aad830e8a and fixed in 6.8 with commit 5ae1e9922bbd

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26804
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/ipv4/ip_tunnel.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f81e94d2dcd2397137edcb8b85f4c5bed5d22383
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2e95350fe9db9d53c701075060ac8ac883b68aee
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/afec0c5cd2ed71ca95a8b36a5e6d03333bf34282
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ab63de24ebea36fe73ac7121738595d704b66d96
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a0a1db40b23e8ff86dea2786c5ea1470bb23ecb9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/049d7989c67e8dd50f07a2096dbafdb41331fb9b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5ae1e9922bbdbaeb9cfbe91085ab75927488ac0f