Subject: CVE-2024-26796: drivers: perf: ctr_get_width function for legacy is not defined

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

drivers: perf: ctr_get_width function for legacy is not defined

With parameters CONFIG_RISCV_PMU_LEGACY=y and CONFIG_RISCV_PMU_SBI=n
linux kernel crashes when you try perf record:

$ perf record ls
[ 46.749286] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000000000000000
[ 46.750199] Oops [#1]
[ 46.750342] Modules linked in:
[ 46.750608] CPU: 0 PID: 107 Comm: perf-exec Not tainted 6.6.0 #2
[ 46.750906] Hardware name: riscv-virtio,qemu (DT)
[ 46.751184] epc : 0x0
[ 46.751430] ra : arch_perf_update_userpage+0x54/0x13e
[ 46.751680] epc : 0000000000000000 ra : ffffffff8072ee52 sp : ff2000000022b8f0
[ 46.751958] gp : ffffffff81505988 tp : ff6000000290d400 t0 : ff2000000022b9c0
[ 46.752229] t1 : 0000000000000001 t2 : 0000000000000003 s0 : ff2000000022b930
[ 46.752451] s1 : ff600000028fb000 a0 : 0000000000000000 a1 : ff600000028fb000
[ 46.752673] a2 : 0000000ae2751268 a3 : 00000000004fb708 a4 : 0000000000000004
[ 46.752895] a5 : 0000000000000000 a6 : 000000000017ffe3 a7 : 00000000000000d2
[ 46.753117] s2 : ff600000028fb000 s3 : 0000000ae2751268 s4 : 0000000000000000
[ 46.753338] s5 : ffffffff8153e290 s6 : ff600000863b9000 s7 : ff60000002961078
[ 46.753562] s8 : ff60000002961048 s9 : ff60000002961058 s10: 0000000000000001
[ 46.753783] s11: 0000000000000018 t3 : ffffffffffffffff t4 : ffffffffffffffff
[ 46.754005] t5 : ff6000000292270c t6 : ff2000000022bb30
[ 46.754179] status: 0000000200000100 badaddr: 0000000000000000 cause: 000000000000000c
[ 46.754653] Code: Unable to access instruction at 0xffffffffffffffec.
[ 46.754939] ---[ end trace 0000000000000000 ]---
[ 46.755131] note: perf-exec[107] exited with irqs disabled
[ 46.755546] note: perf-exec[107] exited with preempt_count 4

This happens because in the legacy case the ctr_get_width function was not
defined, but it is used in arch_perf_update_userpage.

Also remove extra check in riscv_pmu_ctr_get_width_mask

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26796 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit cc4c07c89aad and fixed in 6.6.21 with commit e0d17ee872cf
	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit cc4c07c89aad and fixed in 6.7.9 with commit e4f50e85de5a
	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit cc4c07c89aad and fixed in 6.8 with commit 682dc133f83e

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26796
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/perf/riscv_pmu.c
	drivers/perf/riscv_pmu_legacy.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e0d17ee872cf8d0f51cc561329b8e1a0aa792bbb
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e4f50e85de5a6b21dfdc0d7ca435eba4f62935c3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/682dc133f83e0194796e6ea72eb642df1c03dfbe