Subject: CVE-2024-26781: mptcp: fix possible deadlock in subflow diag

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

mptcp: fix possible deadlock in subflow diag

Syzbot and Eric reported a lockdep splat in the subflow diag:

   WARNING: possible circular locking dependency detected
   6.8.0-rc4-syzkaller-00212-g40b9385dd8e6 #0 Not tainted

   syz-executor.2/24141 is trying to acquire lock:
   ffff888045870130 (k-sk_lock-AF_INET6){+.+.}-{0:0}, at:
   tcp_diag_put_ulp net/ipv4/tcp_diag.c:100 [inline]
   ffff888045870130 (k-sk_lock-AF_INET6){+.+.}-{0:0}, at:
   tcp_diag_get_aux+0x738/0x830 net/ipv4/tcp_diag.c:137

   but task is already holding lock:
   ffffc9000135e488 (&h->lhash2[i].lock){+.+.}-{2:2}, at: spin_lock
   include/linux/spinlock.h:351 [inline]
   ffffc9000135e488 (&h->lhash2[i].lock){+.+.}-{2:2}, at:
   inet_diag_dump_icsk+0x39f/0x1f80 net/ipv4/inet_diag.c:1038

   which lock already depends on the new lock.

   the existing dependency chain (in reverse order) is:

   -> #1 (&h->lhash2[i].lock){+.+.}-{2:2}:
   lock_acquire+0x1e3/0x530 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5754
   __raw_spin_lock include/linux/spinlock_api_smp.h:133 [inline]
   _raw_spin_lock+0x2e/0x40 kernel/locking/spinlock.c:154
   spin_lock include/linux/spinlock.h:351 [inline]
   __inet_hash+0x335/0xbe0 net/ipv4/inet_hashtables.c:743
   inet_csk_listen_start+0x23a/0x320 net/ipv4/inet_connection_sock.c:1261
   __inet_listen_sk+0x2a2/0x770 net/ipv4/af_inet.c:217
   inet_listen+0xa3/0x110 net/ipv4/af_inet.c:239
   rds_tcp_listen_init+0x3fd/0x5a0 net/rds/tcp_listen.c:316
   rds_tcp_init_net+0x141/0x320 net/rds/tcp.c:577
   ops_init+0x352/0x610 net/core/net_namespace.c:136
   __register_pernet_operations net/core/net_namespace.c:1214 [inline]
   register_pernet_operations+0x2cb/0x660 net/core/net_namespace.c:1283
   register_pernet_device+0x33/0x80 net/core/net_namespace.c:1370
   rds_tcp_init+0x62/0xd0 net/rds/tcp.c:735
   do_one_initcall+0x238/0x830 init/main.c:1236
   do_initcall_level+0x157/0x210 init/main.c:1298
   do_initcalls+0x3f/0x80 init/main.c:1314
   kernel_init_freeable+0x42f/0x5d0 init/main.c:1551
   kernel_init+0x1d/0x2a0 init/main.c:1441
   ret_from_fork+0x4b/0x80 arch/x86/kernel/process.c:147
   ret_from_fork_asm+0x1b/0x30 arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:242

   -> #0 (k-sk_lock-AF_INET6){+.+.}-{0:0}:
   check_prev_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3134 [inline]
   check_prevs_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3253 [inline]
   validate_chain+0x18ca/0x58e0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3869
   __lock_acquire+0x1345/0x1fd0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5137
   lock_acquire+0x1e3/0x530 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5754
   lock_sock_fast include/net/sock.h:1723 [inline]
   subflow_get_info+0x166/0xd20 net/mptcp/diag.c:28
   tcp_diag_put_ulp net/ipv4/tcp_diag.c:100 [inline]
   tcp_diag_get_aux+0x738/0x830 net/ipv4/tcp_diag.c:137
   inet_sk_diag_fill+0x10ed/0x1e00 net/ipv4/inet_diag.c:345
   inet_diag_dump_icsk+0x55b/0x1f80 net/ipv4/inet_diag.c:1061
   __inet_diag_dump+0x211/0x3a0 net/ipv4/inet_diag.c:1263
   inet_diag_dump_compat+0x1c1/0x2d0 net/ipv4/inet_diag.c:1371
   netlink_dump+0x59b/0xc80 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2264
   __netlink_dump_start+0x5df/0x790 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2370
   netlink_dump_start include/linux/netlink.h:338 [inline]
   inet_diag_rcv_msg_compat+0x209/0x4c0 net/ipv4/inet_diag.c:1405
   sock_diag_rcv_msg+0xe7/0x410
   netlink_rcv_skb+0x1e3/0x430 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2543
   sock_diag_rcv+0x2a/0x40 net/core/sock_diag.c:280
   netlink_unicast_kernel net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1341 [inline]
   netlink_unicast+0x7ea/0x980 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1367
   netlink_sendmsg+0xa3b/0xd70 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1908
   sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:730 [inline]
   __sock_sendmsg+0x221/0x270 net/socket.c:745
   ____sys_sendmsg+0x525/0x7d0 net/socket.c:2584
   ___sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2638 [inline]
   __sys_sendmsg+0x2b0/0x3a0 net/socket.c:2667
   do_syscall_64+0xf9/0x240
   entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6f/0x77

As noted by Eric we can break the lock dependency chain avoid
dumping any extended info for the mptcp subflow listener:
nothing actually useful is presented there.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26781 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.10.211 with commit 8affdbb3e2ef and fixed in 5.10.212 with commit 70e5b013538d
	Issue introduced in 5.15.150 with commit 7d6e8d7ee13b and fixed in 5.15.151 with commit cc32ba2fdf3f
	Issue introduced in 6.1.80 with commit 71787c665d09 and fixed in 6.1.81 with commit f27d319df055
	Issue introduced in 6.6.19 with commit e074c8297ee4 and fixed in 6.6.21 with commit fa8c776f4c32
	Issue introduced in 6.7.7 with commit 298ac00da8e6 and fixed in 6.7.9 with commit d487e7ba1bc7

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26781
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/mptcp/diag.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/70e5b013538d5e4cb421afed431a5fcd2a5d49ee
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/cc32ba2fdf3f8b136619fff551f166ba51ec856d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f27d319df055629480b84b9288a502337b6f2a2e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fa8c776f4c323a9fbc8ddf25edcb962083391430
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d487e7ba1bc7444d5f062c4930ef8436c47c7e63
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d6a9608af9a75d13243d217f6ce1e30e57d56ffe