Subject: CVE-2024-26758: md: Don't ignore suspended array in md_check_recovery()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

md: Don't ignore suspended array in md_check_recovery()

mddev_suspend() never stop sync_thread, hence it doesn't make sense to
ignore suspended array in md_check_recovery(), which might cause
sync_thread can't be unregistered.

After commit f52f5c71f3d4 ("md: fix stopping sync thread"), following
hang can be triggered by test shell/integrity-caching.sh:

1) suspend the array:
raid_postsuspend
 mddev_suspend

2) stop the array:
raid_dtr
 md_stop
  __md_stop_writes
   stop_sync_thread
    set_bit(MD_RECOVERY_INTR, &mddev->recovery);
    md_wakeup_thread_directly(mddev->sync_thread);
    wait_event(..., !test_bit(MD_RECOVERY_RUNNING, &mddev->recovery))

3) sync thread done:
md_do_sync
 set_bit(MD_RECOVERY_DONE, &mddev->recovery);
 md_wakeup_thread(mddev->thread);

4) daemon thread can't unregister sync thread:
md_check_recovery
 if (mddev->suspended)
   return; -> return directly
 md_read_sync_thread
 clear_bit(MD_RECOVERY_RUNNING, &mddev->recovery);
 -> MD_RECOVERY_RUNNING can't be cleared, hence step 2 hang;

This problem is not just related to dm-raid, fix it by ignoring
suspended array in md_check_recovery(). And follow up patches will
improve dm-raid better to frozen sync thread during suspend.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26758 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 3.0 with commit 68866e425be2 and fixed in 6.7.7 with commit a55f0d6179a1
	Issue introduced in 3.0 with commit 68866e425be2 and fixed in 6.8 with commit 1baae052cccd

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26758
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/md/md.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a55f0d6179a19c6b982e2dc344d58c98647a3be0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1baae052cccd08daf9a9d64c3f959d8cdb689757