Subject: CVE-2024-26756: md: Don't register sync_thread for reshape directly

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

md: Don't register sync_thread for reshape directly

Currently, if reshape is interrupted, then reassemble the array will
register sync_thread directly from pers->run(), in this case
'MD_RECOVERY_RUNNING' is set directly, however, there is no guarantee
that md_do_sync() will be executed, hence stop_sync_thread() will hang
because 'MD_RECOVERY_RUNNING' can't be cleared.

Last patch make sure that md_do_sync() will set MD_RECOVERY_DONE,
however, following hang can still be triggered by dm-raid test
shell/lvconvert-raid-reshape.sh occasionally:

[root@fedora ~]# cat /proc/1982/stack
[<0>] stop_sync_thread+0x1ab/0x270 [md_mod]
[<0>] md_frozen_sync_thread+0x5c/0xa0 [md_mod]
[<0>] raid_presuspend+0x1e/0x70 [dm_raid]
[<0>] dm_table_presuspend_targets+0x40/0xb0 [dm_mod]
[<0>] __dm_destroy+0x2a5/0x310 [dm_mod]
[<0>] dm_destroy+0x16/0x30 [dm_mod]
[<0>] dev_remove+0x165/0x290 [dm_mod]
[<0>] ctl_ioctl+0x4bb/0x7b0 [dm_mod]
[<0>] dm_ctl_ioctl+0x11/0x20 [dm_mod]
[<0>] vfs_ioctl+0x21/0x60
[<0>] __x64_sys_ioctl+0xb9/0xe0
[<0>] do_syscall_64+0xc6/0x230
[<0>] entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6c/0x74

Meanwhile mddev->recovery is:
MD_RECOVERY_RUNNING |
MD_RECOVERY_INTR |
MD_RECOVERY_RESHAPE |
MD_RECOVERY_FROZEN

Fix this problem by remove the code to register sync_thread directly
from raid10 and raid5. And let md_check_recovery() to register
sync_thread.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26756 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 2.6.17 with commit f67055780caa and fixed in 6.7.7 with commit 13b520fb62b7
	Issue introduced in 2.6.17 with commit f67055780caa and fixed in 6.8 with commit ad39c08186f8

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26756
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/md/md.c
	drivers/md/raid10.c
	drivers/md/raid5.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/13b520fb62b772e408f9b79c5fe18ad414e90417
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ad39c08186f8a0f221337985036ba86731d6aafe