Subject: CVE-2024-26732: net: implement lockless setsockopt(SO_PEEK_OFF)

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: implement lockless setsockopt(SO_PEEK_OFF)

syzbot reported a lockdep violation [1] involving af_unix
support of SO_PEEK_OFF.

Since SO_PEEK_OFF is inherently not thread safe (it uses a per-socket
sk_peek_off field), there is really no point to enforce a pointless
thread safety in the kernel.

After this patch :

- setsockopt(SO_PEEK_OFF) no longer acquires the socket lock.

- skb_consume_udp() no longer has to acquire the socket lock.

- af_unix no longer needs a special version of sk_set_peek_off(),
  because it does not lock u->iolock anymore.

As a followup, we could replace prot->set_peek_off to be a boolean
and avoid an indirect call, since we always use sk_set_peek_off().

[1]

WARNING: possible circular locking dependency detected
6.8.0-rc4-syzkaller-00267-g0f1dd5e91e2b #0 Not tainted

syz-executor.2/30025 is trying to acquire lock:
 ffff8880765e7d80 (&u->iolock){+.+.}-{3:3}, at: unix_set_peek_off+0x26/0xa0 net/unix/af_unix.c:789

but task is already holding lock:
 ffff8880765e7930 (sk_lock-AF_UNIX){+.+.}-{0:0}, at: lock_sock include/net/sock.h:1691 [inline]
 ffff8880765e7930 (sk_lock-AF_UNIX){+.+.}-{0:0}, at: sockopt_lock_sock net/core/sock.c:1060 [inline]
 ffff8880765e7930 (sk_lock-AF_UNIX){+.+.}-{0:0}, at: sk_setsockopt+0xe52/0x3360 net/core/sock.c:1193

which lock already depends on the new lock.

the existing dependency chain (in reverse order) is:

-> #1 (sk_lock-AF_UNIX){+.+.}-{0:0}:
        lock_acquire+0x1e3/0x530 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5754
        lock_sock_nested+0x48/0x100 net/core/sock.c:3524
        lock_sock include/net/sock.h:1691 [inline]
        __unix_dgram_recvmsg+0x1275/0x12c0 net/unix/af_unix.c:2415
        sock_recvmsg_nosec+0x18e/0x1d0 net/socket.c:1046
        ____sys_recvmsg+0x3c0/0x470 net/socket.c:2801
        ___sys_recvmsg net/socket.c:2845 [inline]
        do_recvmmsg+0x474/0xae0 net/socket.c:2939
        __sys_recvmmsg net/socket.c:3018 [inline]
        __do_sys_recvmmsg net/socket.c:3041 [inline]
        __se_sys_recvmmsg net/socket.c:3034 [inline]
        __x64_sys_recvmmsg+0x199/0x250 net/socket.c:3034
       do_syscall_64+0xf9/0x240
       entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6f/0x77

-> #0 (&u->iolock){+.+.}-{3:3}:
        check_prev_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3134 [inline]
        check_prevs_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3253 [inline]
        validate_chain+0x18ca/0x58e0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3869
        __lock_acquire+0x1345/0x1fd0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5137
        lock_acquire+0x1e3/0x530 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5754
        __mutex_lock_common kernel/locking/mutex.c:608 [inline]
        __mutex_lock+0x136/0xd70 kernel/locking/mutex.c:752
        unix_set_peek_off+0x26/0xa0 net/unix/af_unix.c:789
       sk_setsockopt+0x207e/0x3360
        do_sock_setsockopt+0x2fb/0x720 net/socket.c:2307
        __sys_setsockopt+0x1ad/0x250 net/socket.c:2334
        __do_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2343 [inline]
        __se_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2340 [inline]
        __x64_sys_setsockopt+0xb5/0xd0 net/socket.c:2340
       do_syscall_64+0xf9/0x240
       entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6f/0x77

other info that might help us debug this:

 Possible unsafe locking scenario:

       CPU0                    CPU1
       ----                    ----
  lock(sk_lock-AF_UNIX);
                               lock(&u->iolock);
                               lock(sk_lock-AF_UNIX);
  lock(&u->iolock);

 *** DEADLOCK ***

1 lock held by syz-executor.2/30025:
  #0: ffff8880765e7930 (sk_lock-AF_UNIX){+.+.}-{0:0}, at: lock_sock include/net/sock.h:1691 [inline]
  #0: ffff8880765e7930 (sk_lock-AF_UNIX){+.+.}-{0:0}, at: sockopt_lock_sock net/core/sock.c:1060 [inline]
  #0: ffff8880765e7930 (sk_lock-AF_UNIX){+.+.}-{0:0}, at: sk_setsockopt+0xe52/0x3360 net/core/sock.c:1193

stack backtrace:
CPU: 0 PID: 30025 Comm: syz-executor.2 Not tainted 6.8.0-rc4-syzkaller-00267-g0f1dd5e91e2b #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 01/25/2024
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
  __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:88 [inline]
  dump_stack_lvl+0x1e7/0x2e0 lib/dump_stack.c:106
  check_noncircular+0x36a/0x4a0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:2187
  check_prev_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3134 [inline]
  check_prevs_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3253 [inline]
  validate_chain+0x18ca/0x58e0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3869
  __lock_acquire+0x1345/0x1fd0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5137
  lock_acquire+0x1e3/0x530 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5754
  __mutex_lock_common kernel/locking/mutex.c:608 [inline]
  __mutex_lock+0x136/0xd70 kernel/locking/mutex.c:752
  unix_set_peek_off+0x26/0xa0 net/unix/af_unix.c:789
 sk_setsockopt+0x207e/0x3360
  do_sock_setsockopt+0x2fb/0x720 net/socket.c:2307
  __sys_setsockopt+0x1ad/0x250 net/socket.c:2334
  __do_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2343 [inline]
  __se_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2340 [inline]
  __x64_sys_setsockopt+0xb5/0xd0 net/socket.c:2340
 do_syscall_64+0xf9/0x240
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6f/0x77
RIP: 0033:0x7f78a1c7dda9
Code: 28 00 00 00 75 05 48 83 c4 28 c3 e8 e1 20 00 00 90 48 89 f8 48 89 f7 48 89 d6 48 89 ca 4d 89 c2 4d 89 c8 4c 8b 4c 24 08 0f 05 <48> 3d 01 f0 ff ff 73 01 c3 48 c7 c1 b0 ff ff ff f7 d8 64 89 01 48
RSP: 002b:00007f78a0fde0c8 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 0000000000000036
RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 00007f78a1dac050 RCX: 00007f78a1c7dda9
RDX: 000000000000002a RSI: 0000000000000001 RDI: 0000000000000006
RBP: 00007f78a1cca47a R08: 0000000000000004 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: 0000000020000180 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000000000000000
R13: 000000000000006e R14: 00007f78a1dac050 R15: 00007ffe5cd81ae8

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26732 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.7 with commit 859051dd165e and fixed in 6.7.7 with commit 897f75e2cde8
	Issue introduced in 6.7 with commit 859051dd165e and fixed in 6.8 with commit 56667da7399e

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26732
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/core/sock.c
	net/ipv4/udp.c
	net/unix/af_unix.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/897f75e2cde8a5f9f7529b55249af1fa4248c83b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/56667da7399eb19af857e30f41bea89aa6fa812c